Poorly Dressed Med Students Rant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Med students in the US don't wear uniforms? :eyebrow:

In Mexico every university demands you to wear a 100% uniform (men must wear a tie almost always, the clothes are more lax for us ladies but we can't wear skimpy clothes) and a labcoat.

Dress code = shirt, tie, slacks

Uniform = same shirt, same tie, same slacks for everyone

I'd be surprised if there was a med school without a dress code of some kind. At my school we can wear whatever we want unless we're in the hospital or talking to patients, at which point we revert back to the dress code. I guess you could call the white coat a uniform of some sort, but I think dress code is the more accurate term.

I'd be really creeped out as a patient if all the med students at my hospital wore the exact same clothes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reading this thread made me realize that not all medical students are intellectually sound. Thanks, SDN!

A fashion-savvy troll with a pot of gold, holy crap.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, I've held it in too long....forgive the grammar/spelling because this is going to be quick...

Gentlemen:

What the hell is it with third and fourth year med students who work their asses off to get great grades, go to a great school, shine like a star, and want to rise to the top, but don't put a moment's thought into how they look to patients/faculty? I'm not talking basic grooming (which some people do seem to have a problem with, and they probably can't help it), I'm talking about being dressed like a professional, not a tech support guy.

Example: The most common outfit I see on med students is a pair of rarely-pressed khakis, a blue Gap oxford (usually wrinkled), and a tie that they got from their father's closet before they went off to college. Oh, and that's often coupled with an oh-so-stylish pair of beat-up Timberlands or Rockports that haven't seen a shoe shine since they left the factory in Cambodia.

The average med student will graduate with something like $150k of debt. After all that tuition, living expense, books, etc, why in the world would you not spend an extra 3-5k on a stellar wardrobe? This is all it would take:

1 or 2 pairs of well-maintained (weekly shine!) Italian shoes - $150-500
5 pairs of Italian wool dress pants - $500-750
10 quality English/Italian dress shirts (some plain, some pinstripe, some windowpane)- $1000
10 snazzy - yet sedate - silk ties (no ugly prints!) - $500-1000

Using the high end estimate, you spend $3250. That's not even a drop in the bucket compared to the total debt load. And you know what? A nice sports jacket for $250-400 won't hurt either. It will give a little extra zing when you're not wearing your white coat. Buying quality will make it last for YEARS. Buying it on sale will get you even more for your money, and as long as you're careful not to get anything too trendy, it will be in style for years.

What's the defense? It costs too much? No it doesn't. That 4k you spend will reap HUGE rewards when your attending sees you as a professional, not some schlub. Don't you think your patients will appreciate that you look like the kind of person they can trust their finances with, much less their health?

You have no sense of style? OK, that could be, but pick up a copy of GQ and just fake it! You mean to tell me you can memorize Harrison's, but you can't match three items of clothing following simple rules?

But you know, in a way, I'm glad that so many people seem incapable of making themselves look like a professional. It makes me stand out more!

That's my rant.

Why are you complaining about dress code when 1 billion people in this world don't even have access to clean water, and 2 billion people are hungry?

Travel more, you will expand your perception of the world and have an appreciation of how lucky you are.

And a side note, schools with dress codes tend to perform well because it eliminates distractions. Furthermore, it gives more emphasis that the school is for serious business. KIPP schools are now one of the top schools in the nation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_Is_Power_Program

Why are you complaining about dress code when 1 billion people in this world don't even have access to clean water, and 2 billion people are hungry?

Travel more, you will expand your perception of the world and have an appreciation of how lucky you are.

And a side note, schools with dress codes tend to perform well because it eliminates distractions. Furthermore, it gives more emphasis that the school is for serious business. KIPP schools are now one of the top schools in the nation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_Is_Power_Program

Time stamps are your friend.

I'm gonna ring the troll bell on this one.

Since you GUYS are talking about looking sharp, I just had to add this. Yes. I am female.

At our medschool, the guys have to wear ties as an MS1 when we see patients. I don't know about other years. Anyway, we have groups of 4. One of the guys had a burgandy stethoscope. He wore a burgandy tie and had the scope around his neck. I told him it looked really sharp. No- I am not hitting on him. I am married with four kids. My hubby doesn't leave for work unless he passes my approval.

My point is THINK about the whole picture if you typically wear your scope around your neck. If it is black then get some ties with black accent. It is just like women trying to match earrings or hair accessories to the outfit. The scope is your accessory that ties the whole outfit together.:)

Since you GUYS are talking about looking sharp, I just had to add this. Yes. I am female.

At our medschool, the guys have to wear ties as an MS1 when we see patients. I don't know about other years. Anyway, we have groups of 4. One of the guys had a burgandy stethoscope. He wore a burgandy tie and had the scope around his neck. I told him it looked really sharp. No- I am not hitting on him. I am married with four kids. My hubby doesn't leave for work unless he passes my approval.

My point is THINK about the whole picture if you typically wear your scope around your neck. If it is black then get some ties with black accent. It is just like women trying to match earrings or hair accessories to the outfit. The scope is your accessory that ties the whole outfit together.:)

:smack:

I got a pretty nice outfit - glen plaid slacks, light blue shirt, and matching tie - from Banana Republic's outlet store for a whopping $80. No need to spend $300 on an outfit, but I am increasingly appreciating how nice it is to look good. I just feel better when I'm wearing a nice outfit.

I do have $140 shoes on though now. I figure the shoes are worth it, since you wear them so much more than any other item of clothing.

You know it is one thing to look professional but I think once you are out of clinic it doesn't matter. And hell once you become a doctor, not all doctors to dress ultra business like. I've met quite a few pediatricians who dress in the most casual wear, and I've met a few PCPs' children who've told me their parents are like that. One DO's child even told me their father squirted a squirt gun around with his kid patients and was goofy like that. Another told me their ER doc dad used to go out with oil stained shirts from working on their car. So its all relevant to a certain degree or another depending on what stage you are at, what field you are in (i'm sure the EM doc I referred to has scrubs when he's in the ER and outside in public he is as I described from what I heard), etc.

why is there a 6 page thread dedicated to this that is now 3 years old is another question altogether.

I agree with the OP in some respects, but not others. It is definitely important to look professional in front of patients and attendings. On the other hand, it might not be the best idea to dress better than your attending. Another point I disagree on with the OP is his opinion on khakis. There are numerous highly regarded fashion labels producing high-quality khakis that look great on med students. Wool pants can get uncomfortable and sweaty. The real fashion issue I have with rotating medical students is women's clothing, which I believe should be more standardized.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a pretty nice outfit - glen plaid slacks, light blue shirt, and matching tie - from Banana Republic's outlet store for a whopping $80. No need to spend $300 on an outfit, but I am increasingly appreciating how nice it is to look good. I just feel better when I'm wearing a nice outfit.

I do have $140 shoes on though now. I figure the shoes are worth it, since you wear them so much more than any other item of clothing.

Yes!! I also feel better when I dress well.. Patients notice also!

The "its my perogative" attitude doesnt always cut it! :thumbup:

Yes!! I also feel better when I dress well.. Patients notice also!

The "its my perogative" attitude doesnt always cut it! :thumbup:

I like to dress up too I just didn't see why there was a 6 page thread abt worrying how other people dress. Now if the patients said something to someone for having a slightly wrinkled shirt and non pressed pants, it would be different. But why was the OP worrying about it I don't know. But that was so 3 years ago. LOL.

But I understand how you feel. I prefer to dress up and feel better when I don't go out looking like grub as well. It makes me feel better.

No. It is impossible to look good while wearing a flea collar.

One thing I've noticed a lot of my male colleagues wearing are black shirts. Nasty. A black shirt worn with the collar open looks good a club. Wear it with a tie at work? You look creepy dude.

I would want my doctors to look like field professionals, not professionals with desk jobs (businessmen). Some of the male doctors I saw in this one hospital I was just at looked rather over-dressed: perfectly pressed wool pants, shiny (pink) Italian dress shirts, sleeves all the way down with cuff-links, tie. To me, an ironed blue/white Polo dress shirt without a tie, rolled up sleeves (less contagion risk), and some khakis would suffice.

You can look spiffy and in control without being a BMW car salesman or a forensics actor on CSI Miami, read: posers.

I'm going to play the role of the thread...

Ohhh boyy oh boy I just got created, thank you SDN God for giving me a holy birth in the year 2006.

Yep, ahhh, yep I'm just jugging along, jug jug jug, growing in size, you know getting my vittles. Growing and growing

Okkk its 2008...I've grown up as a thread and now its just time to just slowly die out, just slowly die out and rest in peace..oh oh, yeaaaa, i've had a good run, time to die now.

OH nooos its 2009....you've resurrected me, what shall I do...no no no, dont do it, dont wake me up, let me lie in peace...dead and peaceful. Thats right, dead and peaceful...

ahh snap, you woke me up...this will never end, and I'll get bigger and bigger. bigger and bigger.

I'm going to play the role of the thread...

Ohhh boyy oh boy I just got created, thank you SDN God for giving me a holy birth in the year 2006.

Yep, ahhh, yep I'm just jugging along, jug jug jug, growing in size, you know getting my vittles. Growing and growing

Okkk its 2008...I've grown up as a thread and now its just time to just slowly die out, just slowly die out and rest in peace..oh oh, yeaaaa, i've had a good run, time to die now.

OH nooos its 2009....you've resurrected me, what shall I do...no no no, dont do it, dont wake me up, let me lie in peace...dead and peaceful. Thats right, dead and peaceful...

ahh snap, you woke me up...this will never end, and I'll get bigger and bigger. bigger and bigger.

You have a point.. I think think the main point is that many just DONT know how to dress..
Ill confess and I not ashame to admit it.. I was asking a guy who modeled and who worked at a popular mens shop for advice on matching my suits...
I also think its hard for a doc to overdress unless he wears a tuxedo everyday...Cufflinks while not popular are still elegant and suave..

he has a point and yet you still continue? C'mon!

thats lik:

person A: man, see that building on fire? if anyone goes in there they're dead!

person B: you have a point

person B goes into building...

Last edited:

jeesus christ...are you drunk on a zima and watching john and kate reruns right now?

since you guys are talking about looking sharp, i just had to add this. Yes. I am female.

At our medschool, the guys have to wear ties as an ms1 when we see patients. I don't know about other years. Anyway, we have groups of 4. One of the guys had a burgandy stethoscope. He wore a burgandy tie and had the scope around his neck. I told him it looked really sharp. no- i am not hitting on him. I am married with four kids. my hubby doesn't leave for work unless he passes my approval.

My point is think about the whole picture if you typically wear your scope around your neck. If it is black then get some ties with black accent. It is just like women trying to match earrings or hair accessories to the outfit. The scope is your accessory that ties the whole outfit together.:)

milf?

I love these spurious arguments.

What exactly is the logical link between the OP's sartorial habits and global poverty? If he were to stop wearing European designerwear, exactly how many of those 2 billion starving people would have access to proper food?

Also, are you always this sanctimonious?

some of you guys need to examine your sexuality.

i wear 20$ dockers from target, a random equally cheap dress shirt, and one of the ties i grabbed out of the express sale bin when they were selling them for 7$ each. everything i own is a poly/cotton blend and wrinkle free, so i have to iron for 15 minutes a week. it doesn't take me more than 3 minutes to get dressed. its 2009 and our generation should care more about function than form.

anyway off to grand rounds for free breakfast :thumbup:

jeesus christ...are you drunk on a zima and watching john and kate reruns right now?
it's Mike's Hard Lemonade, thank you very much, and Kate is just poorly understood.

what do the ortho guys wear? Under Armor? I saw one of the plastics attendings rounding in a full suit.

I'm not about to drop a crapload of money on clothes than I'm just going to wind up getting bodily fluids on.

It is possible to look good for cheap; I don't see why anyone would need to drop several grand on a few good threads.

it's Mike's Hard Lemonade, thank you very much, and Kate is just poorly understood.

what do the ortho guys wear? Under Armor? I saw one of the plastics attendings rounding in a full suit.

again...old thread=dead thread=do not resurrect thread.

Please let it rest in peace...it has died and now you have awakened this thread. The pain is unbearable.

ZOMBIE THREAD!!! :eek:

I understand. I paid $300 for my best dress shoes and I am quite fond of them. I am also getting regular haircuts for the first time in my life and am beginning to enjoy looking spiffy instead of scruffy.

It does bother me to see people who dress very unprofessionally. There is no need to spend thousands to look good, if you dont want to. I mean i have seen a classmate of mine go to his preceptors office with black pants, open collar with tie hanging off, half untied with sneakers, that is disrespectful and unprofessional. Some days i like to wear cuff links, some days roll up my selves. I really feel it is very important to look very clean and very well put together when meeting a patient for the first time.

Us interns wear uniforms that aren't different from students (though we stand out because we aren't fooling around like the students are!)
You sure do walk around with a pretty enormous chip on your shoulder...especially considering the fact that you haven't even graduated from med school yet.