Pod Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:thumbup:

I'm interviewing at Western this Tuesday. I can't wait!

Goodluck! I hope you practiced some behavioral type questions! Look at the interview feedback link at the top of this page to see some questions they like to ask. (If you have not already) They really help! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Goodluck! I hope you practiced some behavioral type questions! Look at the interview feedback link at the top of this page to see some questions they like to ask. (If you have not already) They really help! :thumbup:

I'm definitely going over some questions and trying to relax in general. Thanks for the tip! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone had any rejections yet?

Someone stated they got a rejection from Temple earlier in this thread:

This will probably be my final roster of interview. Just got a rejection from Temple, and I attribute it to my darn Verbal score. This rejection really put a dent in my confidence and I'm nervous I will get rejected after five interviews blahhh! But we all just got to push through!

NYCPM 9/27
Barry 10/03
Scholl 10/7
Western 10/11
OCPM 10/14

Keep your chin up Ntran1986!

Let us all know how it goes and what the day is like. I will be there the 23rd.

It felt like everything went really well, there were five of us interviewing that day. You spend the majority of the day on a tour of campus with the dean of admissions as well as a meeting with the financial adviser. Then when you eat lunch you have the opportunity to meet with current students. The interview was one on one and was the last thing we did for the day. Make sure you eat breakfast though because the lunch is pretty late.

I am going to Barry on the 26th if anyone is coming that day as well and doesn't have hotel yet I am staying at the Sheraton (the one Barry refered us too-it has the shuttle to school and back) and I booked a room with two queens so I will spilt it with someone if they want! Just PM me or reply! It would only be like 45 instead of the 90 something a night they want! Just trying to help a fellow interviewer out! :)

As everyone interviews at the various schools don't forget to update the interview feedback section to help others in the future as we have been by those in the past.

So how was your interview at western?

I'm really impressed with Western! It's for sure my #1 choice as of now. I'll find out my status in a week in a half or so.

PROS:
1. Western has a philosophy that emphasizes on problem-solving and communication skills in their curriculum. For example, you will be interacting with all Western students (Vet students, Pharm students, Dental Students, DO students, etc) to do case studies during your first semesters. This really helps develop relationships with other professions which is a realistic approach. PLUS, it makes other professions realize that podiatry is not something to be looked down upon (you are a medical peer, and the curriculum is just as rigorous!)
2. Southern California has amazing diversity, and rotation options are growing fast (UCLA, the greater Los Angeles VA, on-campus clinic, county hospitals, etc.)
3. The staff is super friendly. The Dean, Dr. Harkless, is there for the students and is passionate about moving the Podiatry program forward.
4. The pod school is located in the newer buildings within the campus.

There were so many other little things, but I can't think of all of it right now!

CONS:
1. Pomona isn't the greatest city, but all the students I asked didn't really have a major problem with safety in the area. You literally just have to go to a neighboring town to see a major improvement. (In Cali, you're in another town if you simply cross a street.)
2. Cost of living is slightly high. I heard from $900-$1200 for rent.
3. Board pass rates were within the National average for their 3rd year students. (Dr. Harkless admitted that he hoped for better, and is working on what can be improved.)

I'll be entering my feedback to the link at the top of the page, but if you have any specific questions, just ask! :)

Good luck to everyone!

Oh, and the interview was very relaxed and conversational. Closed-file, so your interviewer knows nothing about you. All behavioral based questions. It lasted between 20-30 minutes.

I'm really impressed with Western! It's for sure my #1 choice as of now. I'll find out my status in a week in a half or so.

PROS:
1. Western has a philosophy that emphasizes on problem-solving and communication skills in their curriculum. For example, you will be interacting with all Western students (Vet students, Pharm students, Dental Students, DO students, etc) to do case studies during your first semesters. This really helps develop relationships with other professions which is a realistic approach. PLUS, it makes other professions realize that podiatry is not something to be looked down upon (you are a medical peer, and the curriculum is just as rigorous!)
2. Southern California has amazing diversity, and rotation options are growing fast (UCLA, the greater Los Angeles VA, on-campus clinic, county hospitals, etc.)
3. The staff is super friendly. The Dean, Dr. Harkless, is there for the students and is passionate about moving the Podiatry program forward.
4. The pod school is located in the newer buildings within the campus.

There were so many other little things, but I can't think of all of it right now!

CONS:
1. Pomona isn't the greatest city, but all the students I asked didn't really have a major problem with safety in the area. You literally just have to go to a neighboring town to see a major improvement. (In Cali, you're in another town if you simply cross a street.)
2. Cost of living is slightly high. I heard from $900-$1200 for rent.
3. Board pass rates were within the National average for their 3rd year students. (Dr. Harkless admitted that he hoped for better, and is working on what can be improved.)

I'll be entering my feedback to the link at the top of the page, but if you have any specific questions, just ask! :)

Good luck to everyone!

Ahhh thats so great to hear.. WU is still my top choice :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be at WesternU next week. Gonna be a tough choice deciding between TUSPM, NYCPM and WesternU!

I was invited to OCPM but I'm on the fence about going.

I think I got an invite to BUSPM, but then got another email shortly afterwards stating that the previous email was a mistake :lol:

I live in Pomona only a mile away from the school and only pay 600/month in a 3 bedroom house. You could really find good deals if you look for them. I strongly encourage you not to live at the Helix or the Metropolitan. Its expensive and not worth it. The best possible route is to find someone looking for a roommate who is already is established. Your not going to be spending much time at home anyways because your gonna be soo busy.

If/when I get accepted I really think I will pick Western. Southern California, the newer buildings, and being in the same classes with the DO students have me pretty much sold on them. Temple comes in second because they pay for the double tree hotel and give out free cookies... I also do think they have a great program.

I'll be at WesternU next week. Gonna be a tough choice deciding between TUSPM, NYCPM and WesternU!

I was invited to OCPM but I'm on the fence about going.

I think I got an invite to BUSPM, but then got another email shortly afterwards stating that the previous email was a mistake :lol:

Let us know what you think! You'll be in for a pleasant surprise at Western, I believe. :)

I live in Pomona only a mile away from the school and only pay 600/month in a 3 bedroom house. You could really find good deals if you look for them. I strongly encourage you not to live at the Helix or the Metropolitan. Its expensive and not worth it. The best possible route is to find someone looking for a roommate who is already is established. Your not going to be spending much time at home anyways because your gonna be soo busy.

This was very helpful! The Helix and Metropolitan do sound too expensive. Is the Western classifieds a good resource to find roommates?

If/when I get accepted I really think I will pick Western. Southern California, the newer buildings, and being in the same classes with the DO students have me pretty much sold on them. Temple comes in second because they pay for the double tree hotel and give out free cookies... I also do think they have a great program.

I agree!

Let us know what you think! You'll be in for a pleasant surprise at Western, I believe. :)

This was very helpful! The Helix and Metropolitan do sound too expensive. Is the Western classifieds a good resource to find roommates?

I agree!

I think the WesternU classifieds is the best way to find roommates. I found my roommates using it and got very lucky. Both my roommates and I have the same type of personality so we all clicked. Call them and talk to them for a little bit to make sure your personalities are similar .

Someone stated they got a rejection from Temple earlier in this thread:

Keep your chin up Ntran1986!

Do you get a rejection letter through the mail or by email? Ive only got two interviews so far out of the nine schools and I sent in my application a few weeks ago.

Does anyone know couple of questions that I should prepare for my interview on Tuesday?

I got accepted to Western! Talk about quick. I can't wait to start!

P.S. For practice questions, look at "Interview feedback" above this page.

oh sweet nice

did you put down your deposit or still waiting on other schools

oh sweet nice

did you put down your deposit or still waiting on other schools

I'm pretty much decided to go to Western, so I plan on putting down my deposit soon. I'm going to skip going to all of my other interview except Samuel Merritt (I already paid for a non-refundable plane ticket. :laugh:)

Congrats on the acceptance!

Thank you! :)

CONGRATS!!! that is awesome!!

:soexcited::highfive::soexcited::bow::banana:

Congratulations and good luck! An exciting time in your lives for sure!

Hey, congratulations to all of you that got interviews, if any of you that interviewed could give feedback on their experience please go to the "Interview Feedback" tab at the top of the page. Before I interviewed I saw what others before me had to say and I found it very helpful, lets help those following us.

Has anyone interviewed at NYCPM? My letter said that they will "sponsor" a student for a night at some hotel, but does that mean you get a discount or it's free?

NYCPM does pay for your hotel stay, but the room was super small and the AC unit was keeping me up the entire night. :( Overall I would just recommend bringing some earplugs. They were very nice and informing for my interview. Just relax and good luck on your interview.

CONGRATS!!! I want to go to Western University since I have a lot of my friends from UCLA who goes there. Its funny there are a lot of UCLA students in optometry program, pharmacy program, physical therapy, and DO. They all told me that I might be the first UCLA student to go to western for podiatry program. I hope my interview on the 4th goes well so I can go to Western.

CONGRATS!!! I want to go to Western University since I have a lot of my friends from UCLA who goes there. Its funny there are a lot of UCLA students in optometry program, pharmacy program, physical therapy, and DO. They all told me that I might be the first UCLA student to go to western for podiatry program. I hope my interview on the 4th goes well so I can go to Western.

I love many things about the school. Best of luck on your interview! Hope you can join me as part of the 2012 entering class. :)

Well if you and I both get accepted and matriculate we'll fight over that title :laugh:

Temple interview was great!! Very easy going & relaxed! Heading to Miami for Barry! Anyone else going to be there Monday?!?

First person interviewed/accepted at DMU (2016)! Made an account just to gloat haha

congrats! Can you describe your interview experience and opinions?

Very laid back, I ended up being the only person who interviewed for Pod that day, so I had a lot of 1-on-1 time with the dean and others. Pretty standard meeting with the dean, tour around campus/lunch, interview panel of 3 (2 docs, 1 3rd year). Never felt like they were trying to stump me or anything, just feeling me out.

As for the school, it was #1 on my list. I visited during the summer for a podiatry preview, so I had a great feel for the school. Technologically, the school can't be beat, and academically they are pristine. The community is great, and very noncompetitive. I love the area, being from Des Moines, and to me, it just makes sense. Hope that helps!

First person interviewed/accepted at DMU (2016)! Made an account just to gloat haha

Nice! I was the first interviewed and accepted for MWU 2016! My friend Todd started at DMU this fall you'll probably get to meet him there. I hear great things about DMU

same here. 5/5 for me. Temple, AZPOD, NYCPM, Barry, Scholl

well I am actually a Texas resident but I did my undergrad at UA. I am not sure about my top choice yet. I want to get a feel for the campus a little bit more during my interview before I make any choices.

How long after your interview does it take to find out if you've been accepted?

If you have your full application submitted, it can be as little as a couple days, otherwise if you are missing any part of the application they will wait until they receive it all.

How long after your interview does it take to find out if you've been accepted?

I found out the next day via email, then I received my acceptance letter a few days later in the mail.