This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rayofmoonlight

Reaction score
so ever since I started working in the ICU/CCU of the hospital that I work for as a registered dietitian, I realized that I wanted to explore more/do more in the world of medicine. After doing a lot of research podiatry has peeked my interest!

I’m wanting to know what my chances are if I was to apply, if anyone has any insight. Here is what I'm working with right now ...

*BS - Interdisciplinary Studies (2.4 GPA) - unfortunate story of completing my undergrad with a few undiagnosed mental health problems. I was able to rectify these after graduation... a little late. THIS is my concern.

*MS - Master of Dietetics for RDN Licensure (3.8 GPA from accredited program) - these were a mix of nutrition and upper level science courses. I also completed internships with a rehabilitation and non-profit hospital.

*Additional undergraduate level science pre-reqs (3.75 GPA) - a couple more remaining

*500 + hours as a dietetic intern (direct patient interaction/charting/participating in rounds etc.)

*360 + hours CNA (and counting)

*2000 + hours clinical RDN (and counting)

*550 + research hours (and counting) - created a prospectus/research proposal/presentation for child nutrition programs looking into the effect of school nutrition on a common autoimmune disease.

*1000 + hours - created an outreach program advocating for sound nutrition in underserved areas. I have done small events and summer education programs for the children in these areas.

*I have virtually shadowed podiatrists and am working on scheduling in person shadowing in the next couple of weeks.

*I still have to take the MCAT, I would be taking this in a few months.

Any insight, critique, knowledge, advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Go be a PA / NP. All the fun with no headaches.

Reactions: 7 users
After doing a lot of research podiatry has peeked my interest!

*BS - Interdisciplinary Studies (2.4 GPA) - unfortunate story of completing my undergrad with a few undiagnosed mental health problems. I was able to rectify these after graduation... a little late. THIS is my concern.

*I have virtually shadowed podiatrists and am working on scheduling in person shadowing in the next couple of weeks.

*I still have to take the MCAT, I would be taking this in a few months.

Glad to see you are doing well now. Please be mentally prepared as you plan the rest of your professional career (irrespective of the field). If you want to pursue Podiatry, I would highly recommend shadowing first. Work with a few different DPMs in a clinic and the OR (if possible). If you are still interested in the field, fill out an application. Remember, the AACPMAS deadline is June 30th. Returning to your stats, your overall undergrad GPA is low, but you might be okay with your MS grades and a good MCAT score. Aim for 490s-500+.

Good luck, and if you have more application-related questions, post in the following thread: What are my chances: WAMC Podiatry

Locking!

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.