Pikeville-SOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was more or less he would pose a question with a negative connotation and I would present with a positive, and then he would shoot it right back down.

Members don't see this ad.

And he never smiled lol....so I guess you could say demeanor, too.

I had the same interviewer (There can't be more than one like him!) He did me the same way, and as confident as I was going in, I left even more unsure.
I know a guy that had his interview the session before mine, and his was very laid back. So, I think it's just a matter of not drawing the short straw. However, like mentioned in a post above, he seemed nice afterward.
Just relax and be yourself. Don't lie or try to BS, because he called my bluff on something by probing until I had to confess that I wasn't for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
While the interviews at PCSOM are not considered "high pressure" there are a couple of interviewers that want to ensure each candidate is fully able to handle the load of studying to become a physician. I believe I know which interviewer is being discussed, and he was the exact same way when I interviewed with him last year. However, he holds a high position here at PCSOM and having his voice to support you during the admissions committee deliberation is a very good thing.

The best advice I can give to anyone interviewing at PCSOM is to be confident in who you are. Obtaining an interview at PCSOM is typically the most difficult part of the process; they know who you are on paper and at the interview they are looking to determine who you are in person. Be yourself....know yourself....and you should be fine.

This might be late of course, but for anyone who can get ahold of Angel the week before your interviews, you can ask who is interviewing you. That way you can remember their names and look them up and get a little bit of background information on what they teach, study, like, etc. Thought it might help, but know it's a little late for those who have interviews soon. Goodluck!

I'm interviewing at PCSOM this Friday afternoon, and after reviewing the interview surveys, I'm feeling fairly well prepared but wondered if anyone had more tips/suggestions/feedback. Are the interviews generally laid-back or more formal/intense? What about ethics questions? I feel ready for the why DO, why PCSOM, etc..., just worrying about any potential curveballs they might toss out.

The best advice I can give, be confident, but not too confident. I went in and the lady was sick but i thought she was like evil or really hated me already haha. Good cop bad cop but it wasnt bad at all. Be prepared to say what you will do if you are not doing well, good ways to fix your study habits, etc. If you misinturpret a question its ok, i thought i blew it because of that but they evidently really liked my answer for what they didnt ask as well. make sure to ask them questions too! I asked about what its like to live there, is it a typical little town, is houseing hard to find etc. They like it when you are interested, maybe throw in a question about how blocks are set up etc.
You will be called form the room by one of your interviewers so when they are getting ready to call people make sure to keep your ears out for your name, one of the med students went and asked angel who was interviewing me and told me and then they kept an eye out for him so that I knew who it was. The room can get a little noisey, try to sit up by the front right cornor as you are looking at the board, that is the door they use to come get you.
Also, go on the tour, talk to the med students, and talk to the other teachers and deans that are there, they want to make sure you are going to get along with everyone, and the board can consist of anyone of them so be personable. They want you to be you too so if you have You will do great I'm sure, you care enough to be askign what to expect so you care enough to get in, I never ever realized how different the way I say I always wanted to be a doctor sounded than compared to someone who really isnt as behind it as I am. Be real, be you, don't get too nervous, and if you do, slow down, take a breath and say that you are nervous and try to slow down. Even though they only last 20-30 min mine lasted abotu 45 min because we were laughing by the end of it, although I was still nervous at that point. If it lasts shorter or longer it doesnt really matter, if they like you tehy like you. And Monday to Thursday next week you will know how it went, but so you know you wont hear anything before 1pm. They present your file to the board monday at 8 am, discuss candidates til 12, go to lunch, and start calls at 1. I got my call at 4:45 and by that point had given up, but dont!
Good Luck!!! :luck:

While the interviews at PCSOM are not considered "high pressure" there are a couple of interviewers that want to ensure each candidate is fully able to handle the load of studying to become a physician. I believe I know which interviewer is being discussed, and he was the exact same way when I interviewed with him last year. However, he holds a high position here at PCSOM and having his voice to support you during the admissions committee deliberation is a very good thing.

All the current students who I spoke with afterwards told me the same thing. I wasn't insinuating in my post that he is the "short straw." Rather preparing the interviewers about the nature of the interview with him. Just don't want someone to be blindsided like I was after hearing about how laid back the majority of them are. Seems like he could be the one that you want!

hey those of you who got accepted could you guys share ur stats? any input would be greatly appreciated. My GPA is a 3.75, science is a 3.71, but my mcat is on the low side: I got a 22q the first time, 24O the second time (10 PS, 8 BS, 6VR). Thanks!

hey those of you who got accepted could you guys share ur stats? any input would be greatly appreciated. My GPA is a 3.75, science is a 3.71, but my mcat is on the low side: I got a 22q the first time, 24O the second time (10 PS, 8 BS, 6VR). Thanks!

3.45 overall, 3.55 science, 25Q mcat, Alpha Lambda Delta/ Phi Eta Sigma,
National Honor and Merit Scholars Society, Phi Sigma Theta National Honor Society, 2 full years of college in high school, full ride scholarship at Ohio State, 100+ hours shadowing both an M.D. and D.O., also had almost all extra classes that are considered good to have before entering med. I'm probably forgetting something but that should help ya some.
Plus I'm appilachian and plan on staying in the region close to my roots, which may have helped as well.
Your stats sound great, mcat isnt low, after all 24 is average so no worries! it would be low for MD but not DO.
Good luck!:luck:

thanks futurecardio.....i hope one DO school accept me with my mcat score. I am from Illinois, so I dont know if Pikeville favors residents only

thanks futurecardio.....i hope one DO school accept me with my mcat score. I am from Illinois, so I dont know if Pikeville favors residents only

I don't think there is much of a preference. There are a lot of those already accepted on our 2015 facebook page and plenty are from out of state. I think you will be fine with your mcat :) Got my fingers crossed for you!

I'm interviewing at PCSOM this Friday afternoon, and after reviewing the interview surveys, I'm feeling fairly well prepared but wondered if anyone had more tips/suggestions/feedback. Are the interviews generally laid-back or more formal/intense? What about ethics questions? I feel ready for the why DO, why PCSOM, etc..., just worrying about any potential curveballs they might toss out.

Hi chasej21,

How was your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi chasej21,

How was your interview?

I ended up having to reschedule to March 25 because my flight was delayed, and the earliest I could make it to Huntington, Lexington, or even Charleston was by 3:00pm.

I ended up having to reschedule to March 25 because my flight was delayed, and the earliest I could make it to Huntington, Lexington, or even Charleston was by 3:00pm.

:-( But at least you could reschedule! I'm sure they appriciate that you called and rescheduled quickly. Good luck on your new date! Let us know how it goes!

How many interview dates are left, anyone know?

How many interview dates are left, anyone know?

March 25th and I believe only one in April...although I could see them doing one mid to late april as well based on how many people have applied.

March 25th and I believe only one in April...although I could see them doing one mid to late april as well based on how many people have applied.

I was under the assumption that there were two in April. At this point they are probably going for interviews in early April anyway. But I guess it could depend on how many people applied.

Anyone been down to Pikeville to Look into apartments? Any suggestions? I'm headin down monday to take a look around and hopefully find an apartment and put the money down on it!
Let me know!

Anyone been down to Pikeville to Look into apartments? Any suggestions? I'm headin down monday to take a look around and hopefully find an apartment and put the money down on it!
Let me know!

How did your apartment hunt go? Any luck?

Anyone else waitlisted?

They told us Friday that the spots for next year (class of 2015) were already filled and now they're interviewing for 2016.

The interview day was great, very informative with many 1st and 2nd year students around to answer questions, and the interview itself was extremely laid back. I was very impressed with the school overall, just bummed out that the class is already full. Plus I had canceled an interview Friday for a research position in case I wasn't accepted to med school this year, just so that I could interview at PCSOM before the last month of interviews.

They told us Friday that the spots for next year (class of 2015) were already filled and now they're interviewing for 2016.

The interview day was great, very informative with many 1st and 2nd year students around to answer questions, and the interview itself was extremely laid back. I was very impressed with the school overall, just bummed out that the class is already full. Plus I had canceled an interview Friday for a research position in case I wasn't accepted to med school this year, just so that I could interview at PCSOM before the last month of interviews.

I was there on Friday as well. I was very disappointed that they did not inform us about what the interview was really for prior to going. But I thought the interview atmospher was really nice and I really liked the school. Maybe we met each other. I was trying to be interactive. I was in a grey suit.

I was there on Friday as well. I was very disappointed that they did not inform us about what the interview was really for prior to going. But I thought the interview atmospher was really nice and I really liked the school. Maybe we met each other. I was trying to be interactive. I was in a grey suit.

I don't think we met, I was wearing a dark blue suit and light blue tie, sitting on the left-hand side of the room. Yes, I was very frustrated that they had not notified us earlier that the class was already full. I had called the admissions office last week about possibly rescheduling because of a previously scheduled interview, and at that time there was no indication that all spaces for the 2015 class were filled. Otherwise I could have waited until April if these interviews were solely for 2016.

Its looking like I'm headed to the islands! At least the winters will not be as bad.

I am planning to apply to PCSOM this next round, hoping to get my application in by September. Just wondering what you guys thought of my chances. I have a pretty terrible undergraduate GPA, 2.5 overall and 2.7 science. However, I am currently in my MPH with a GPA of 4.0. I will be finishing it before starting Medical School and am 1 year in as of my application.

I have yet to take the MCAT but was wondering what your thought were on my chances and what I would need on the MCAT. I am from Pikeville which does give me that advantage :)..

Thanks!

Just as an FYI, last year PCSOM moved through about 20 people on the "waiting list" While who knows what this year will bring, just because you were put on the alternate list doesn't mean you don't have a chance. Also, if you are dedicated to attending this institution please let them know. Admissions knowing your continued interest and passion can't hurt you any.

Just as an FYI, last year PCSOM moved through about 20 people on the "waiting list" While who knows what this year will bring, just because you were put on the alternate list doesn't mean you don't have a chance. Also, if you are dedicated to attending this institution please let them know. Admissions knowing your continued interest and passion can't hurt you any.

Do you recommend sending in a letter of interest? It's kind of a weird situation, in that I've been admitted, but just not yet for the class starting this fall. I've sent in my deposit, and completed the FAFSA for next year. Does PCSOM move through the alternate list on a rolling basis as seats are open, or wait until June-July to rank the alternate list? Also curious at this point as to how many students are now actually on the alternate list.

Anyone who interviewed 3/25 hear back yet?

I got a phone call on Tuesday around 1:30 while I was at work telling me that I have been definetly been accepted for the Class of 2016 and I am on space available for 2015. Hopefully they move through a bunch of spce available spots this year. I do not know where I am ranked on it though, they did not specify. I also got an email on Friday. Did you heard anything?

I got a phone call on Tuesday around 1:30 while I was at work telling me that I have been definetly been accepted for the Class of 2016 and I am on space available for 2015. Hopefully they move through a bunch of spce available spots this year. I do not know where I am ranked on it though, they did not specify. I also got an email on Friday. Did you heard anything?
i received a letter stating I was on hold pending possible future consideration until july 31st. So I'm not really sure what that means. im bummed but going to wait it out and see what happens...

Hey all,

I am quite honored to have been accepted to Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine for the class of 2016, pending seat availability for the class of 2015. The interview experience was the best that I've had. PCSOM has the most genuine and friendly people- from the students to the administration to the faculty members that I interviewed with.

A hearty congratulations to all those who have been accepted!

Are a lot of people getting accepted already to 2016? Unfortunately, I was rejected this year and am wondering how many have already been accepted to 2016. Is it typical to accept a year in advance? Just wondering how many spots they'll fill for 2016 before next year's cycle.

Are a lot of people getting accepted already to 2016? Unfortunately, I was rejected this year and am wondering how many have already been accepted to 2016. Is it typical to accept a year in advance? Just wondering how many spots they'll fill for 2016 before next year's cycle.

I dont think you will have to worry. From what I've heard they accepted 20 students (ish) for the 2015 class when they interviewed for the 2014 year. Next year the class size will be between 120 and 140 so you will be bidding for even more seats. If you dont mind me asking what where your gpa, mcat, vol/shadowing experience, etc. If I can help ya know what to go for for next year I'll def give ya advise!

Do you recommend sending in a letter of interest? It's kind of a weird situation, in that I've been admitted, but just not yet for the class starting this fall. I've sent in my deposit, and completed the FAFSA for next year. Does PCSOM move through the alternate list on a rolling basis as seats are open, or wait until June-July to rank the alternate list? Also curious at this point as to how many students are now actually on the alternate list.

THey typically move through on a rolling bases as seats open up. But that is after all interviews are complete. I believe the interview sessions are done or close to being done. One girl who got in in 2014 was told 1 week ahead of time to be there. Of course she went. And was able to find at least a place to stay until a better palce opened up. THey have you ranked the day they put you on the waiting list, and you could move up or down depending on the people who interview after you and if others have dropped out of hte pool of waitlisted candidates. Everyone going to an MD or DO school has to pick which one by May 15th so hopefully that will get the ball rolling for you soon :)

Hey all,

I am quite honored to have been accepted to Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine for the class of 2016, pending seat availability for the class of 2015. The interview experience was the best that I've had. PCSOM has the most genuine and friendly people- from the students to the administration to the faculty members that I interviewed with.

A hearty congratulations to all those who have been accepted!

Congrats to you! I will be in the class of 2015. If for some reason there are not seats available for this year please keep in touch with me and I will keep you up on things you may need to know when coming down to pikeville :) Again Congrats and welcome to the wide world of medical students :)

THey typically move through on a rolling bases as seats open up. But that is after all interviews are complete. I believe the interview sessions are done or close to being done. One girl who got in in 2014 was told 1 week ahead of time to be there. Of course she went. And was able to find at least a place to stay until a better palce opened up. THey have you ranked the day they put you on the waiting list, and you could move up or down depending on the people who interview after you and if others have dropped out of hte pool of waitlisted candidates. Everyone going to an MD or DO school has to pick which one by May 15th so hopefully that will get the ball rolling for you soon :)

Only true for MD. You can hold onto multiple DO acceptances up until orientation in August

Only true for MD. You can hold onto multiple DO acceptances up until orientation in August[/QUOTE
Sorry from what I had read it sounded like MD and DO had to be in teh same sched for fed funding etc, but it sounds like you have delt with this. People would have to be total dicks to do that. Once all interview cycles are over most people have the common courtesy to let the schools they are not attending know. Most interview cycles are over by mid may, and many schools have their own rules about when you must let them know if you are attending. Many will ask you to make a choice between mid may to mid-late june. With Pikeville all material for matriculation must be submitted (for those of us that got in right away) by June 30th. Failure to meet that deadline will result in you not getting to start. From what I've heard from other schools soem have those dates in late may through late july. since some schools dont start as early as we do.

Is there a general average for how many people they move through the wait-list each year? I've heard that last year there were about 20, but I'm curious if that happens most years or if last year was an exception.

Is there a general average for how many people they move through the wait-list each year? I've heard that last year there were about 20, but I'm curious if that happens most years or if last year was an exception.

Yup they typically move through about 20 on the waiting list, the only thing I'm not sure of is how many come from teh waiting list and how many come from the space pending pool for those accepted into 2016.
If you call/email angel she would prob be more than happy to let you know. It might take her a few days to get back to you but she tries very hard to get back to everyone. [email protected]

I applied in August and heard nothing. No interview, nothing. I am an eastern Kentucky resident with 3.95 GPA, 28MCAT and tons of volunteering. I was accepted to UK and UofL, as well as VCOM in Blacksburg. I just don't understand why Pikeville was not in the least bit interested in me.

I got rejected for this coming fall, however I am going to reapply for next year and could use any adivce at all!! I hope to put in my application after I find out my new mcat score to see if its good enough or not. Let me know if you can help in anyway please

Kentuckylady24, I'm an OMS-I, soon to be OMS-II, here at PCSOM. Please personall message me and I will do my best to help you locate and address your weakness and better prepare for next years application.

Kentuckylady24, I'm an OMS-I, soon to be OMS-II, here at PCSOM. Please personall message me and I will do my best to help you locate and address your weakness and better prepare for next years application.

Does anyone know what the class profile is or the most recent one anyone could find?
Really just the mcat and gpa averages of those attending

Does anyone know what the class profile is or the most recent one anyone could find?
Really just the mcat and gpa averages of those attending

I believe its something like GPA 3.3 science
24 mcat.
Not totally for sure on those numbers though.

How much preference do you guys think Pikeville shows to appalachia? I am from Ohio, but I reside in a "non-appalachia" county, even though I grew up in a pretty rural area (town of 3,000 people)

However, both of my parents came from counties that are considered appalachian, so could I indicate that on my secondary somewhere?

How much preference do you guys think Pikeville shows to appalachia? I am from Ohio, but I reside in a "non-appalachia" county, even though I grew up in a pretty rural area (town of 3,000 people)

However, both of my parents came from counties that are considered appalachian, so could I indicate that on my secondary somewhere?

They do give quite a bit of preference to those in appalachian counties but there are plenty of students who are not. I am from an ohio appalachian county. But you may be able to tell them that both your parents grew up in an appalachian county and this affected you/how you grew up by...........fill in blank. If you are bordereing an appalachian county this may help you as well because sometimes the poverty lines are pretty close to those found in the neighboring county. Also, if you are interested in rural medicine make sure to tell them that. That is their main focus and they are ranked pretty highly in that field. btw are you a buckeye as well?