Pikeville-SOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks futurecardio for the advice. Still, its tough as hell waiting just for an interview. I know that they have my folder and its just annoying as hell. But again, thanks for the advice. Good luck at PCSOM!

I totally agree, and to tell ya the truth i couldnt listen to anybody telling me to stay calm when I was waiting as well. So far this has been my only interview, so I felt so happy to get it. I'm sure you will hear from them soon!

Members don't see this ad.

I know of some interviews that have been granted for march

Well tomorrow hopefully some of us will receive the all mighty email to hopefully become one step closer to our dreams.. seriously I was doing CPR tn on a patient and we saved this patients life. I cannot wait to actually become a physician and have that glorified feeling that this resident had from making the right call.

Members don't see this ad :)
JoseyWales: How did you find out?

Jcarlier: Nice job! I guess we'll see if tomorrow we receive that all powerful email haha. When you really think about it, it's insane at how much one email can make or break our day. Anyway, hope we all get good news tomorrow.

You accually shoudl be getting phone calls!
Thats how they let meknow at least. Either today or tomorrow you should know :)
Good luck! And when you get in go join the fb page for PCSOM class of 2015. We are all trying to add eachother and get to know eachother a bit before getin down there. And some of the 1st and 2nd years are giving some info on houseing too!
Luck! :luck:

JoseyWales: How did you find out?

Jcarlier: Nice job! I guess we'll see if tomorrow we receive that all powerful email haha. When you really think about it, it's insane at how much one email can make or break our day. Anyway, hope we all get good news tomorrow.

You accually shoudl be getting phone calls!
Thats how they let meknow at least. Either today or tomorrow you should know :)
Good luck! And when you get in go join the fb page for PCSOM class of 2015. We are all trying to add eachother and get to know eachother a bit before getin down there. And some of the 1st and 2nd years are giving some info on houseing too!
Luck! :luck:

Phone calls? I thought they let us know about interviews through our email.

Just called Angel, she said that my folder was complete but still with the committee. They still haven't returned the folders, and the waiting goes on.....

My interview invite came via email, and I found it in my spam folder. Acceptance comes via phone call (if the dean has time), then a follow up email offering acceptance and what you need to do next.

Sorry, I was thinking you were waiting to hear about how an interview went. For some reason I wasn't puting 2 and 2 together that it was the middle of the month not the begining. They def let you know through e-mail about the interviews. It has been a very long last few months for me I'm sorry I didn't go back through treads to make sure it was one way or another!
Everyone-
If you need to go down and stay the night before I recommend staying at the hamton that way you can just walk up to the interview, the walk may keep you calm as well :) Plus the lady makes hot fresh cookies at night and has them down in the lobby along with the fact that she makes sure the coffee is fresh and doesnt sit to long. I was told by one of the med students I was high rolling it becuase its one of the only hotels with a pool in Pikeville...I just picked it becuase I knew where it was and knew it was close enough to walk up to interview.
Also the Landmark Inn has a restaurant in the back at the top and it has great steaks (I asked a guy that worked at the hampton what the locals like and thats what he recommended). Kinda a calm place that eases your mind a bit and great hospitality. If your coming from the college turn left at the light by mcdonalds, and right at the next light, the landmark is a block or 2 up on the right. If you are coming toward the college take a right at the mcdonalds light, and then a right at the next light and its on the right :)

Thanks for the clarification futurecardio. It's all good. Somehow I sense that it's Game Over for me. Good thing I can matriculate into a masters program pretty easily. Haha.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the clarification futurecardio. It's all good. Somehow I sense that it's Game Over for me. Good thing I can matriculate into a masters program pretty easily. Haha.

Maybe you will still get lucky, I have heard they have one interview cycle in April. Don't give up too quick. What are your stats?
What type of masters would you go into? I had thought about getting an MPH before going to med if I didnt get in. I had foudn some decent ones online that way I could do alot of volunteering etc and bring up my mcat while I was at it. I even re-enrolled for the mcat course through kaplan and got new books (luckily all that was free through the gaurentee) now I'm stuck with books and the annoying emails from tehm even though I somehow managed to get in...I feel very lucky to say the least. There is ALWAYS next year, and if you bring up your stats that will help and they will see you are very serious for applying again. If you ever want to tour look class of 2015 up and I'm sure we would all be more than willing to show ya around.
Keep your chin up! You may still get some luck! :luck:

Hi futurecardio17,

I take it that you are going to attend PCSOM? If yes, then I have a bunch of questions for you. Have you looked into housing? Also, have you completed all the paperwork for matriculation? Are you going to review material like A&P before medical school, or are you going to take a breather? Did you get any schedule info for the class of 2015? AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST: How do you feel about block exams?

Thanks ;)

Hi futurecardio17,

I take it that you are going to attend PCSOM? If yes, then I have a bunch of questions for you. Have you looked into housing? Also, have you completed all the paperwork for matriculation? Are you going to review material like A&P before medical school, or are you going to take a breather? Did you get any schedule info for the class of 2015? AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST: How do you feel about block exams?

Thanks ;)

Yup thats my plan! I've been looking into housing and getting some ideas of what to be looking for down there. I'm planning on hitting a few places after I gradute in march and see what they are like. They sent a housing list of things that were open last year for august move in. Although I am thinking about getting it halfway through july so that I can make sure everything is in place before August rolls around, after all sometimes you have to wait a few days for things to be delivered etc.
I'm working on getting all teh paper work finished, I just have to get an updated immunization chart, along with getting my last hep b shot and a physical (and ANOTHER tb test which is kinda crazy considering I went through the 2 step in the last 2 weeks). Gotta get my background check done as well but since it isnt due til the last day of june i'm not too worried about it lol.
Lets see-I may go over some things before med, I've heard that there are some amazing anat lectures by a professor diamond online from california for free on the web and she makes it interesting :) Possibly some light biochem review in there as well. But mostly from what i've been told you should take a little breather, after all its going to get crazy once we start!
I haven't gotten any schedule info yet for autumn but I do know we start orientation week August 8th adn the followign week starts up classes. Orientation week is full of some fun stuf, and gets us all to knwo eachotehr better, which will be nice considering we will be in class 8-4 with eachother everyday lol
AS for block exams, I'm kinda happy about htat. It allows things to be cut up into shorter incraments, and it will allow me to treck teh 4 adn a half hours home on the weekend following block exams. I think it will force us to not procrastinate which will be a very good thing! From what the teacehrs were sayign it allows you to learn waht you need and then kinda "throw out" what you don't in shorter incraments so that you can get a better understanding of the material.

Hope I answered all your questions!
If you have any more just let me know!

Maybe you will still get lucky, I have heard they have one interview cycle in April. Don't give up too quick. What are your stats?
What type of masters would you go into? I had thought about getting an MPH before going to med if I didnt get in. I had foudn some decent ones online that way I could do alot of volunteering etc and bring up my mcat while I was at it. I even re-enrolled for the mcat course through kaplan and got new books (luckily all that was free through the gaurentee) now I'm stuck with books and the annoying emails from tehm even though I somehow managed to get in...I feel very lucky to say the least. There is ALWAYS next year, and if you bring up your stats that will help and they will see you are very serious for applying again. If you ever want to tour look class of 2015 up and I'm sure we would all be more than willing to show ya around.
Keep your chin up! You may still get some luck! :luck:

Thanks man. I am going into the Masters of Science in Biomedical Sciences specializing in BioDefense. I graduated from Rutgers as a Biotech major with a 2.777 and I am currently at UMDNJ getting a 3.2 probably at least a 3.7 or 3.8 by the end of this semester. My MCAT was terrible, 18. I was going to take my MCATs again regardless mainly because i want to get the HPSP Army scholarship. I have about 6 years in the medical field, currently work as a PCT in the ER. Tons of extra curricular activities, won a bunch of awards and stuff. I have recommendations from doctors, the head of my department, a graduate professor and etc. So pretty much all I need to do is get a better MCAT. At this point i'm not really down about it, just looking forward to next year.

Thanks man. I am going into the Masters of Science in Biomedical Sciences specializing in BioDefense. I graduated from Rutgers as a Biotech major with a 2.777 and I am currently at UMDNJ getting a 3.2 probably at least a 3.7 or 3.8 by the end of this semester. My MCAT was terrible, 18. I was going to take my MCATs again regardless mainly because i want to get the HPSP Army scholarship. I have about 6 years in the medical field, currently work as a PCT in the ER. Tons of extra curricular activities, won a bunch of awards and stuff. I have recommendations from doctors, the head of my department, a graduate professor and etc. So pretty much all I need to do is get a better MCAT. At this point i'm not really down about it, just looking forward to next year.

Looks like you are def a good candidate besides the mcat, but heck if you were like me I took the last date I could -in sept- because kaplan told me I could test through december (thank god i found out otherwise in time!) If you are interested I have a full set of mcat books that has never been opened along with the quick study guides and flashcards. After only a month of study I got mine up from a 21 <- practice mcat to a 25 on the real thing. If you want them I can post them on ebay so that you could pay through pay pal I believe ther are 5 boooks 5 quick study guides and the large set of notecards I'd be willing to part with em for $200 instead of the $275 they are worth for a fellow hopefully soon to be med student. they are seriously down in the kaplan box still taped shut since they sent it to me haha.
Keep up the good work getting all of your credentials up if it were up to me I would have nixed the mcat and said the rest looks good so let em in at least to interview! Who knows someday maybe I can do that :)
Still though dont give up! Good Luck!:luck:

Looks like you are def a good candidate besides the mcat, but heck if you were like me I took the last date I could -in sept- because kaplan told me I could test through december (thank god i found out otherwise in time!) If you are interested I have a full set of mcat books that has never been opened along with the quick study guides and flashcards. After only a month of study I got mine up from a 21 <- practice mcat to a 25 on the real thing. If you want them I can post them on ebay so that you could pay through pay pal I believe ther are 5 boooks 5 quick study guides and the large set of notecards I'd be willing to part with em for $200 instead of the $275 they are worth for a fellow hopefully soon to be med student. they are seriously down in the kaplan box still taped shut since they sent it to me haha.
Keep up the good work getting all of your credentials up if it were up to me I would have nixed the mcat and said the rest looks good so let em in at least to interview! Who knows someday maybe I can do that :)
Still though dont give up! Good Luck!:luck:

Haha thanks! Really appreciate the offer. I actually used Kaplan for my disaster MCAT and found that I really didn't like it. I am going to try ExamKrackers as one of my friends in med school said he did it for about 2 hours every day and ended up with a 30. I know it depends on the person but I have a better feeling about the upcoming year. I have my head on right. Last year with leaving Rutgers and dealing with some personal issues, it seemed too rushed. Right now I am using my secondary plan of just going with the Masters program. The work is keeping me busy and it keeps my mind off of rejection haha. I have already planned out my summer and I will apply around July as soon as I take my MCATs again. I'll be on top of it. As always, i'll keep you guys informed about Pikeville. FutureCardio, good luck. Your a good person and i'm sure you'll make a great doctor.

Haha thanks! Really appreciate the offer. I actually used Kaplan for my disaster MCAT and found that I really didn't like it. I am going to try ExamKrackers as one of my friends in med school said he did it for about 2 hours every day and ended up with a 30.

For me, EK helped me raise my MCAT score from a 23 to a 29. For the most part, it was very good especially in helping you focus on what was important. The Audio Osmosis CD's really helped. (I know this probably beings in the MCAT forum but I was responding here. Gsuns, if you have any questions, you can message me and check out the MCAT forum as it may have some useful info.)

Haha thanks! Really appreciate the offer. I actually used Kaplan for my disaster MCAT and found that I really didn't like it. I am going to try ExamKrackers as one of my friends in med school said he did it for about 2 hours every day and ended up with a 30. I know it depends on the person but I have a better feeling about the upcoming year. I have my head on right. Last year with leaving Rutgers and dealing with some personal issues, it seemed too rushed. Right now I am using my secondary plan of just going with the Masters program. The work is keeping me busy and it keeps my mind off of rejection haha. I have already planned out my summer and I will apply around July as soon as I take my MCATs again. I'll be on top of it. As always, i'll keep you guys informed about Pikeville. FutureCardio, good luck. Your a good person and i'm sure you'll make a great doctor.

Thanks man! I've heard great things about examkrackers as well. I wish I had known about it before I took the mcat. it sounds like your on the right track and will get things done :) Keep it up!

Hey all,

Just got accepted into a Masters program at Midwestern University (CCOM). Its a 9 month masters in Biomedical Sciences. My deadline to accept is March 24 but I don't know what to do because what if I hear from PCSOM after that date.. The program is awesome I guess.. but GSUN88 what you think of the masters program your in? This one intrigued me because its 9 months and it will still allow me to possibly matriculate into a Fall 2012 class..

Hey all,

Just got accepted into a Masters program at Midwestern University (CCOM). Its a 9 month masters in Biomedical Sciences. My deadline to accept is March 24 but I don't know what to do because what if I hear from PCSOM after that date.. The program is awesome I guess.. but GSUN88 what you think of the masters program your in? This one intrigued me because its 9 months and it will still allow me to possibly matriculate into a Fall 2012 class..

I think the masters program is a great way to show med schools that you are capable of higher education. Currently my masters program will be completed by next Spring. I like most of the classes and the professors seem a bit more personal. However, I have noticed that some of the people in my class are a bit...... well, ******ed. "Bacillus anthracis is one of the major causes of Anthrax"..... I rest my case. In any case, I think Masters program is a pretty good idea if you want to boost your grades. Not to mention a LOR from a grad professor is nice. I am doing my masters program and I am still allowed to volunteer for my fire department, work and hang out with my friends.

Is there anything you wanted to know about my masters program in particular?

I guess I was just curious on what you thought about it. My GPAs are both very solid but its just my MCAT that is holding me down lol.. So I figured taking 9 months to do a masters and this will definately prep me for the MCAT biological sciences section and then retaking it in like december would definately boost my application for the next year.. I just didn't know when I should begin studying for my MCAT again :( I was thinking maybe taking it in the late fall... so I had some graduate courses down..

I think the masters program is a great way to show med schools that you are capable of higher education. Currently my masters program will be completed by next Spring. I like most of the classes and the professors seem a bit more personal. However, I have noticed that some of the people in my class are a bit...... well, ******ed. "Bacillus anthracis is one of the major causes of Anthrax"..... I rest my case. In any case, I think Masters program is a pretty good idea if you want to boost your grades. Not to mention a LOR from a grad professor is nice. I am doing my masters program and I am still allowed to volunteer for my fire department, work and hang out with my friends.

Is there anything you wanted to know about my masters program in particular?

I guess I was just curious on what you thought about it. My GPAs are both very solid but its just my MCAT that is holding me down lol.. So I figured taking 9 months to do a masters and this will definately prep me for the MCAT biological sciences section and then retaking it in like december would definately boost my application for the next year.. I just didn't know when I should begin studying for my MCAT again :( I was thinking maybe taking it in the late fall... so I had some graduate courses down..

Well if it's just your MCAT that is the problem, i'd say you should put that first. My personal plan would be to start studying for my MCATS (EK) 3rd week of April and do 2-3 hours every day. You can get overwhelmed. Take the MCATs on May 26th and then apply. I would not recommend taking your MCAT in the late fall. I did it this year and everything seemed rushed, that is if you want to apply for the upcoming cycle. I would still do the graduate course though so you have something to do and the medical schools can see what you did with your free time.

You were thinking of applying for Fall 2012 right?

Well if it's just your MCAT that is the problem, i'd say you should put that first. My personal plan would be to start studying for my MCATS (EK) 3rd week of April and do 2-3 hours every day. You can get overwhelmed. Take the MCATs on May 26th and then apply. I would not recommend taking your MCAT in the late fall. I did it this year and everything seemed rushed, that is if you want to apply for the upcoming cycle. I would still do the graduate course though so you have something to do and the medical schools can see what you did with your free time.

You were thinking of applying for Fall 2012 right?

Ya I was thinking about it. But I dont want to rush it because I dont want to have to retake this damn test again.. I am goign to use EK too because I didnt princeton review the last time and it was a disaster..

Ya I was thinking about it. But I dont want to rush it because I dont want to have to retake this damn test again.. I am goign to use EK too because I didnt princeton review the last time and it was a disaster..

Definatly DO NOT WAIT til late fall. The last test date until january this past year was Sept 11th and I ended up registering late because I had no clue it didn't go through Dec, had to drive almost 12 hours to get to a site that had it, up near toranto canada and I'm from OHIO. If you take it make sure you take it so you have scores back by june or july becuase you want to apply asap. I was lucky to get in getting my sec in in november. The sooner you get your materials in the better. They accept quite a few ppl before january.
AND if you are really interested in PCSOM, but want the back up, you can accept a program and then "regretfully" decline if you hear from pcsom and get in. I had accepted a masters program in public health that would be done in 5 quarters, before finding out that i got in at pcsom, then I just emailed them and said sorry i'm starting med school. I had gotten in to a few dif masters programs but stuck with one, too bad it isnt as easy to get into med :p So what if your down money, after all, if you get to live your dream quicker it was worth it right?
How bad is bad on mcat? if your gpa's are good (3.3+), your extracurriculars include shadowing or volunteering, and you have a great desire for med that you can both put on paper and interview about you may be better off than you think. How many schools did you apply to?
Also, deals out there for anybody, I've got a whole set of kaplan mcat review that you can self study with, the notes are priceless and some questions that were practice ones did come up on the test. I'd recommend doing mroe than one method, I didnt have time too, but afterward had wished I had done EK with Kaplan, and had gone through my PR books a little more in detail.

Definatly DO NOT WAIT til late fall. The last test date until january this past year was Sept 11th and I ended up registering late because I had no clue it didn't go through Dec, had to drive almost 12 hours to get to a site that had it, up near toranto canada and I'm from OHIO. If you take it make sure you take it so you have scores back by june or july becuase you want to apply asap. I was lucky to get in getting my sec in in november. The sooner you get your materials in the better. They accept quite a few ppl before january.
AND if you are really interested in PCSOM, but want the back up, you can accept a program and then "regretfully" decline if you hear from pcsom and get in. I had accepted a masters program in public health that would be done in 5 quarters, before finding out that i got in at pcsom, then I just emailed them and said sorry i'm starting med school. I had gotten in to a few dif masters programs but stuck with one, too bad it isnt as easy to get into med :p So what if your down money, after all, if you get to live your dream quicker it was worth it right?
How bad is bad on mcat? if your gpa's are good (3.3+), your extracurriculars include shadowing or volunteering, and you have a great desire for med that you can both put on paper and interview about you may be better off than you think. How many schools did you apply to?
Also, deals out there for anybody, I've got a whole set of kaplan mcat review that you can self study with, the notes are priceless and some questions that were practice ones did come up on the test. I'd recommend doing mroe than one method, I didnt have time too, but afterward had wished I had done EK with Kaplan, and had gone through my PR books a little more in detail.

Bad is like 6,7,7 with a Q in writing. My gpa is 3.5 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA and all the other stuff is golden.. but I havent gotten into any of the schools I applied too.. I am waiting on PCSOM, WVSOM (im on hold but OSS tuition is outrageous) and NYCOM.. I applied to like 7 schools total.. so I think I am going to do the masters and retake the mcat w

Bad is like 6,7,7 with a Q in writing. My gpa is 3.5 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA and all the other stuff is golden.. but I havent gotten into any of the schools I applied too.. I am waiting on PCSOM, WVSOM (im on hold but OSS tuition is outrageous) and NYCOM.. I applied to like 7 schools total.. so I think I am going to do the masters and retake the mcat maybe this summer but I just want to make sure I am scoring well.. before my real mcat I was scoring 28s, 29s and the day of I got that poopy score.

Bad is like 6,7,7 with a Q in writing. My gpa is 3.5 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA and all the other stuff is golden.. but I havent gotten into any of the schools I applied too.. I am waiting on PCSOM, WVSOM (im on hold but OSS tuition is outrageous) and NYCOM.. I applied to like 7 schools total.. so I think I am going to do the masters and retake the mcat maybe this summer but I just want to make sure I am scoring well.. before my real mcat I was scoring 28s, 29s and the day of I got that poopy score.

Hahaha I have the same problem. Writing is over rated so I hear. I was scoring around the same when I was taking my practice MCATs and somehow I bombed the real MCAT. I would accept the masters program if you don't have to give a deposit or just wait till the last possibly day to accept. You always got a shot but again, don't wait too late on the MCAT. Taking it in July is the last possible month you should take it. Futurecardio is right, I felt so behind when I did it in September and I don't plan to do that again. If you want to do it right, start now and do a little each night. You should be ok by June. You never know though, they might send you an interview out on April. However, I found it more productive to plan for the worst as it helped me take things off my mind and I stopped worrying about what I am going to do next year.

Hahaha I have the same problem. Writing is over rated so I hear. I was scoring around the same when I was taking my practice MCATs and somehow I bombed the real MCAT. I would accept the masters program if you don't have to give a deposit or just wait till the last possibly day to accept. You always got a shot but again, don't wait too late on the MCAT. Taking it in July is the last possible month you should take it. Futurecardio is right, I felt so behind when I did it in September and I don't plan to do that again. If you want to do it right, start now and do a little each night. You should be ok by June. You never know though, they might send you an interview out on April. However, I found it more productive to plan for the worst as it helped me take things off my mind and I stopped worrying about what I am going to do next year.
This is to the guy b4 you gsun88-
Absolutly! Plan for the worst and quite possibly the best will happen! I know the september test was HARD alot of people thought the bio was harder than the other times they took it and many went down in score...who knows maybe the earlier dates will have better results :p I was hopeing for a bit higher but I guess it all happens for a reason...although I was getting ready to retake in May if I hadn't gotten in anywhere, Now I get to enjoy my 4 months off. If you can call them that, with volunteering and quite possibly studying up a bit on ANAT. Anyways though, even ifyou can't do some each night try coving a subject every 2 weeks, there is a course that a lot of the Ontario ppl have liked and its called MCAT 24 hour or something like that. I was 2 weeks away from getting it when I got in. Its 24 hours of work for each subject, a real Oomph for the last min. I had planne don doing 8 hours a day up till the test. Mind you its 24 hours a subject lol. And if you can find a weekend workshop to go too, I know I wish I had. After talking to people who scored really well they said that it helped to have a weekend before the test to sit down and really focus on the material.
~Good luck! And heck I brough my score up 5 points (started at a 20 practice mcat) and in a month of a subject a week of reading kaplan books I got it up to a 25. Your GPA is great, acually a tad above mine, same writing score (which although over-rated they are trying to get it to count more in the medical school setting) I had around 100 hours of shadowing, 3 honor societies, and Biochem, microbio, anat, along with some of the other recommended classes. Plus most quarters I was deans list so that kinda helped too. I had a year and a half of 21 credit hour loads per quarter... 68 hours for one year and this year I end up with 50 I think. So just keep your chin up, you sound like your on the right track, ALOT of people have to retake mcat, its a pain in the bum test. I know I walked outa there crying, yes I know whimpy girl move but its true. After all I am a girl and am allowed to cry :p But I was plesantly suprised with the results...I can only imagine what I could have gotten with a few months of test prep instead of just a few weeks.
Gsun is right you guys may get interviews come mid-march for the april interviews. All of us should hear one way or another from all schools we applied too by May 15th, becuase thats when everyone has to pick one way or another which school they are going too. I was a lets apply to every school within a 15 hour radius of home person, ended up with 33. Got secondaries from 27 of them, only have been turned down by 5 of those, waitlisted on a few others until more interview cycles have passed (although I'm not holding my breath). Still a couple I'd like to hear from but I'm happy with PCSOM :)
Good luck everyone!
:luck:

Thanks futurecardio17, I am gonna start studying in the next 2 weeks and see what happens. the masters program I got accepted into needs my deposit by 3/24 which kind of sucks but I may just pay it and if I get into PCSOM then just regretfully decline after. As all the academics, I've taken micro, cell, bio, biochem, genetics, a & p, physio, histology so I have exceeded a lot of the pre req bios but I think the day of my MCAT i really just choked.. but everything happens for a reason is how I look at it. I have about 100-150 hours of shadowing, 700 volunteering hours, work full time in the ER, deans list and have managed to still do well in college. So we shall see what happens next.

This is to the guy b4 you gsun88-
Absolutly! Plan for the worst and quite possibly the best will happen! I know the september test was HARD alot of people thought the bio was harder than the other times they took it and many went down in score...who knows maybe the earlier dates will have better results :p I was hopeing for a bit higher but I guess it all happens for a reason...although I was getting ready to retake in May if I hadn't gotten in anywhere, Now I get to enjoy my 4 months off. If you can call them that, with volunteering and quite possibly studying up a bit on ANAT. Anyways though, even ifyou can't do some each night try coving a subject every 2 weeks, there is a course that a lot of the Ontario ppl have liked and its called MCAT 24 hour or something like that. I was 2 weeks away from getting it when I got in. Its 24 hours of work for each subject, a real Oomph for the last min. I had planne don doing 8 hours a day up till the test. Mind you its 24 hours a subject lol. And if you can find a weekend workshop to go too, I know I wish I had. After talking to people who scored really well they said that it helped to have a weekend before the test to sit down and really focus on the material.
~Good luck! And heck I brough my score up 5 points (started at a 20 practice mcat) and in a month of a subject a week of reading kaplan books I got it up to a 25. Your GPA is great, acually a tad above mine, same writing score (which although over-rated they are trying to get it to count more in the medical school setting) I had around 100 hours of shadowing, 3 honor societies, and Biochem, microbio, anat, along with some of the other recommended classes. Plus most quarters I was deans list so that kinda helped too. I had a year and a half of 21 credit hour loads per quarter... 68 hours for one year and this year I end up with 50 I think. So just keep your chin up, you sound like your on the right track, ALOT of people have to retake mcat, its a pain in the bum test. I know I walked outa there crying, yes I know whimpy girl move but its true. After all I am a girl and am allowed to cry :p But I was plesantly suprised with the results...I can only imagine what I could have gotten with a few months of test prep instead of just a few weeks.
Gsun is right you guys may get interviews come mid-march for the april interviews. All of us should hear one way or another from all schools we applied too by May 15th, becuase thats when everyone has to pick one way or another which school they are going too. I was a lets apply to every school within a 15 hour radius of home person, ended up with 33. Got secondaries from 27 of them, only have been turned down by 5 of those, waitlisted on a few others until more interview cycles have passed (although I'm not holding my breath). Still a couple I'd like to hear from but I'm happy with PCSOM :)
Good luck everyone!
:luck:

At this point, I am not even sure i'd accept an offer to PCSOM. I need to retake the MCATs and I am not going into a school without that US Army scholarship. I don't want to apply too late for that scholarship but I need to take the MCATs too. I think even if I get accepted I will be deferring for next academic year. You see what a semester of ROTC does to a guy? All Army.

Jcarlier, I am sure you will be fine. If not this time then next time. It's important to remember your main goal is to become a Doctor and you will eventually hit this target. I am sure your interview invite will come any day now though.

I concur. Princeton revew was a disaster. I used ek the last 2 weeks before my exam date and hated myself for not starting earlier

Are you watilisted at PCSOM or just waiting to hear for an interview??

Hey guys,

I was offered an interview today for 3/25 via email. I had to decline due to being accepted to WVSOM which requires a deposit by 3/15. I hope one of you get it! Best of luck to everyone!

Hey guys,

I was offered an interview today for 3/25 via email. I had to decline due to being accepted to WVSOM which requires a deposit by 3/15. I hope one of you get it! Best of luck to everyone!

and when can i ask your application was complete???

Are you watilisted at PCSOM or just waiting to hear for an interview??

I am waiting for an interview.. I just got accepted into a 9 month Masters that requires a deposit by 3/24 soo hopefully it comes soon so I can figure this all out

I have already completed the secondary, and just received my MCAT score---, a low 23:mad:

3.2 GPA-Master degree in physiology, any remote chance?

I have already completed the secondary, and just received my MCAT score---, a low 23:mad:

3.2 GPA-Master degree in physiology, any remote chance?

MCAT was complete a little late...did you take it in January? If so your still ok. 3.2 isn't bad for a masters in physio at all, do you have any extras like shadowing etc? It might be a remote chance but still a chance, the only thing that would worry me is just now getting your mcat scores. I would get ahold of the office and see who to send the link to so they can verify instead of going through aacomas for the score (since it took aacomas 2 weeks to get teh three requests I sent them! ) Also, 23 is not bad at all! you have to remember taht avg is 24 and thats really a broad average not taking into account how hard the individual test was. The one I took in september everyone things was scewed down because of the biology so we all may have done a little worse than if we had taken another date. I've seen the "true" stats worked up to avg being between 22.3-24.4 depending on the month and test you had. So you may well have scored above average! There is only 1, maybe 2, interview sessions left but you still may have a chance. If you don;t get a hold of anyone leave a message, call again a few hours later and leave another one. they are pretty good about getting back after you leave multiple messages :p also try emailing angel at [email protected] she is pretty good about getting stuf done as well. Send the link associated with your mcat score and explain whats going on, she will normally get back within a day.
They are looking at a lot of people who already have masters, I didn't and got in, but I've heard many people say they have already recieved a masters degree. So that bodes well for you. My mcat was just a few points above yours, I was a bio major with all pre-med courses, and most if not all extra classes recom for gettign into md and do schools. Plus I shadowed 2 doctors, had 3 honor societies, and am really good in person (thank god) at interviews. I only know the last one because when the dean called to tell me I was in I told him I thought I blew teh interview. He told me that I had in no ways blown the interview, that everyone REALLY liked me and that everyone had made a unanamous dicition before I had even left that I was in. <- sorry typeing fast i know this had A TON of mess ups :-(
But you have a chance, go with it. Get on the phone and make the calls, email angel and keep your fingers, and maybe your toes, crossed! Good Luck!:luck:

MCAT was complete a little late...did you take it in January? If so your still ok. 3.2 isn't bad for a masters in physio at all, do you have any extras like shadowing etc? It might be a remote chance but still a chance, the only thing that would worry me is just now getting your mcat scores. I would get ahold of the office and see who to send the link to so they can verify instead of going through aacomas for the score (since it took aacomas 2 weeks to get teh three requests I sent them! ) Also, 23 is not bad at all! you have to remember taht avg is 24 and thats really a broad average not taking into account how hard the individual test was. The one I took in september everyone things was scewed down because of the biology so we all may have done a little worse than if we had taken another date. I've seen the "true" stats worked up to avg being between 22.3-24.4 depending on the month and test you had. So you may well have scored above average! There is only 1, maybe 2, interview sessions left but you still may have a chance. If you don;t get a hold of anyone leave a message, call again a few hours later and leave another one. they are pretty good about getting back after you leave multiple messages :p also try emailing angel at [email protected] she is pretty good about getting stuf done as well. Send the link associated with your mcat score and explain whats going on, she will normally get back within a day.
They are looking at a lot of people who already have masters, I didn't and got in, but I've heard many people say they have already recieved a masters degree. So that bodes well for you. My mcat was just a few points above yours, I was a bio major with all pre-med courses, and most if not all extra classes recom for gettign into md and do schools. Plus I shadowed 2 doctors, had 3 honor societies, and am really good in person (thank god) at interviews. I only know the last one because when the dean called to tell me I was in I told him I thought I blew teh interview. He told me that I had in no ways blown the interview, that everyone REALLY liked me and that everyone had made a unanamous dicition before I had even left that I was in. <- sorry typeing fast i know this had A TON of mess ups :-(
But you have a chance, go with it. Get on the phone and make the calls, email angel and keep your fingers, and maybe your toes, crossed! Good Luck!:luck:
Thx futurecardio17! Yes, it was the January MCAT. I actually emailed a copy of my score report to Angel since I know how long AACOMAS could take. I have great LORS, serious research, lots of shadwoing (both DOs, and MDs), and lots of EC.

Do you know if they offer any guaranteed acceptance for the following year if one gets waitlisted or when slots are full?

E-maling angel hamilton isn't very useful. I emailed her a few times and received the same generic email back from her each time saying my file is under review and preference to Appalachian region students and stuff.. so to email her is pointless.. I would call her.

E-maling angel hamilton isn't very useful. I emailed her a few times and received the same generic email back from her each time saying my file is under review and preference to Appalachian region students and stuff.. so to email her is pointless.. I would call her.

I don't even know if that is much help once you know your under review. I called her twice in the past 2 weeks (she picked up), and she keeps telling me I am complete and under review. It's been like this for about 2-3 weeks. I guess you could ask how you stack up against other applicants.

I don't even know if that is much help once you know your under review. I called her twice in the past 2 weeks (she picked up), and she keeps telling me I am complete and under review. It's been like this for about 2-3 weeks. I guess you could ask how you stack up against other applicants.

They are not answering their phones either.

They are not answering their phones either.

Angel rarely does. It's one person running the office so it's sort of hard on her. Keep trying. Took me 6 times before I actually got through 2 weeks later.

I just called. She picked up. She says the adcomm is reviewing applications as we speak.

They've been reviewing since two weeks ago!!! lol sorry, i've been a little bit more cranky ever since I more or less gave up this round. What i meant to say was "Go Team!!".... i mean "I guess we'll hear soon!"

I'm interviewing at PCSOM this Friday afternoon, and after reviewing the interview surveys, I'm feeling fairly well prepared but wondered if anyone had more tips/suggestions/feedback. Are the interviews generally laid-back or more formal/intense? What about ethics questions? I feel ready for the why DO, why PCSOM, etc..., just worrying about any potential curveballs they might toss out.

Well the ethics questions arose mostly from the previous administration (at least what I was told.) I would still be prepared for a couple though. I heard they are really laid back but my interviewer was quite intense and I left feeling crushed to be honest, he was really nice at the end though which leads me to believe he was just testing me...so be prepared for just about anything. :)

Well the ethics questions arose mostly from the previous administration (at least what I was told.) I would still be prepared for a couple though. I heard they are really laid back but my interviewer was quite intense and I left feeling crushed to be honest, he was really nice at the end though which leads me to believe he was just testing me...so be prepared for just about anything. :)

Thanks for the feedback! In what way was your interviewer intense, just the type of questions asked, his demeanor, or both?