Pikeville-SOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stay positive. Its not over, until you get that call or mail.

Members don't see this ad.

Supplemental app completed for Pikeville 1/12/11.......real ****ty GPA. 2.6. science is even lower. non-KY resident.....32R on the MCATs tho.....haven't heard anything from admissions yet. how much of their class has filled up?? anyone know?? how long does it really take them to process apps??

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else hear anything from the Friday interviews yet? I'm getting nervous:confused:

Supplemental app completed for Pikeville 1/12/11.......real ****ty GPA. 2.6. science is even lower. non-KY resident.....32R on the MCATs tho.....haven't heard anything from admissions yet. how much of their class has filled up?? anyone know?? how long does it really take them to process apps??

I'm in your boat buddy. Completed it 1/18/11, GPA is 3.1 for grad school. 2.777 for undergrad. MCAT sucks! Loads of experience and letters though. Out of state. Want to do the Army HPSP so hopefully that will be helpful but man am I nervous. Still haven't even heard for an interview!!!

There really only 3 sessions left?

I will be giving up my seat in the class, I hope they give you and interview and give the seat to you jcarlier2113. Good luck!!! Maybe you could call admissions and see where you stand and let them know how bad you would like to attend and they are your #1 pick. This can do wonders and helped me get into my top choice.

What do I say when I call? and who do you recommend I talk to? I am so nervous I just want to receive an email or something. I have never been so stressed lol do you know the number I should call?

Your best bet would be to talk with Angel. She is a very kind person whom helped and guided me through my wait. Personally, I would just be open about it and explain your situation to her. Inquire about your score and gpa, and ask about her feelings of your competitiveness. Whats the worst that could happen? She is a very helpful person, and seems to be one of the many student-first faculty members of the school. I can't wait to get up there this fall. Good luck!

Angel's direct number is listed earlier in the thread. She is difficult to reach, but if you read through the thread, you will discover the "how-to" of reaching her.

Last edited:
Jcarlier2113 ..Angel Hamilton's number is 606-218-5406.. Lets hope she picks up.

Thanks everyone.. ill try and get a hold of her today and see what she has to say.. i emailed her a few weeks ago and she just sent me a generic email like your file is complete and is reviewed with all compelted files but note that PCSOM gives preference to people from the Appalachian area.. ugh which is not me haha

Hey jcarlier2113... i just called and she picked up . i was so shocked it took me a while to realize it wasnt the answering machine. she said the class is 60% full. That to me isnt bad news.

Hey jcarlier2113... i just called and she picked up . i was so shocked it took me a while to realize it wasnt the answering machine. she said the class is 60% full. That to me isnt bad news.

Your awesome. Did you know that?

I called around 10:45 and she didnt pick up for me!

I tried calling around 11:30 and got no answer... whatd she say about ur stats and stuff?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Gsun88..:) thanks.. jcarlier2113. she just gave me the averages. she said mcat 22 and cgpa.3.3.. we fall right in their acceptance range.. i guess at this point it is beyond grades. The overall application is what matters... i know it doesnt help that we dont live in the region they favor but welld see. Stay positive i know this is the last school ur waiting on.. itlld come through.

@Gsun88..:) thanks.. jcarlier2113. she just gave me the averages. she said mcat 22 and cgpa.3.3.. we fall right in their acceptance range.. i guess at this point it is beyond grades. The overall application is what matters... i know it doesnt help that we dont live in the region they favor but welld see. Stay positive i know this is the last school ur waiting on.. itlld come through.

i know it sucks waiting.. my cgpa is a lot higher and so is my sgpa.. i have been working in an osteopathic hospital for over 3 years and performing cpr and all that kinda crap i just hope i get an interview.. not being in tht region is killing us lol

I too am in the same boat. I applied late.. complete like 2/1 haha. Stats are 30Q (twice, so 33Q composite) and grad GPA 3.7 but ugrad 3.2 and uscience is 2.9 . So I guess I'll see what they think of grad GPA ( i did a 2-year SMP at BUSOM) cuz my undergrad stats aren't too great

jcarlier2113 and pdiddy, if we all get interviewed during the month of March, I am totally buying us drinks for at least getting that far. If we don't, then we are meeting up next year when we get in and then I am buying a round.

I still cant get in touch with anyone. Ive been complete since mid october, stats are above average, i live in the Appalachian region, and i spent over a month this summer in lexington shadowing a doctor at central baptist.

jcarlier2113 and pdiddy, if we all get interviewed during the month of March, I am totally buying us drinks for at least getting that far. If we don't, then we are meeting up next year when we get in and then I am buying a round.

that sounds like a hell of a plan.. i have a 3.7sGPA and 3.5cGPA.. my mcat was lower but well see... we gotta keep our fingers crossed for March or else idk what to do haha im waiting on them but NYCOM and WVSOM too but who knows whats up with those schools

lapiscp1 try calling before 9am....

sounds good to me!! haha. Hopefully we will hear back within the next week or two.

that sounds like a hell of a plan.. i have a 3.7sGPA and 3.5cGPA.. my mcat was lower but well see... we gotta keep our fingers crossed for March or else idk what to do haha im waiting on them but NYCOM and WVSOM too but who knows whats up with those schools

I got a hold of angel today!! Theres 4 interview slots left 2 in April and 2 in march. I asked bout being from Michigan and I guess a lot of Michigan applicants in the past have gone there. She said they view the applicant as a whole and not just by stats. Is that good news for us all?

wow ... only 4?. thats dissappointing.

Are you serious? Only 4 spots left? I find that hard to believe.. What do you guys think?

I thought they were expanding their class size...

I feel she meant 4 interview dates, not interview slots

I feel she meant 4 interview dates, not interview slots

I think they normally invite around 20 applicants to each interview date. That means 80 spots for interviews. I imagine this number is not set in stone.

I wish you all luck :luck: :xf: :luck:

Phew!!!! i obviously misunderstood.Thanks for clarifying. well that makes sense now.

sorry about that everyone.. i meant 4 interview dates not 4 slots left for the class haha what we thinkin

Yea according to some reading i've done, Pikeville is expanding their facilities and is on track to be done very soon. This means that they will increase the size of their class for the next class.

Also, 4 more slots scared the crap out of me. 4 dates is a little more comfortable but not by much haha.

I think they normally invite around 20 applicants to each interview date. That means 80 spots for interviews. I imagine this number is not set in stone.

I wish you all luck :luck: :xf: :luck:

We had 25 students at our interview. So that means maybe around 100 interview spots left. I interviewed Friday Feb 4th and heard back Monday the 7th around 4:45. so nobody freak out if you dont hear till later in teh day because it puts undu stress on you. I was waiting by the phone all day and had almost given up when they finally called and accepted me! My stats were 3.45 overall gpa, science is around that as well and 25Q mcat that I took in september. I really think that if you are just yourself and try not to worry about the interview you will be fine. It is an open file interview and they may ask you why you didnt do too great in a few classes adn just be honest with them. Just remain calm everyone!
:cool: and Good Luck!:luck:

So I called and got through to Angel. Sweet lady. She left me on hold for an hour and a half though. I called with my home phone and she picked up, apologized and etc.

Still 4 days open for interview. They have my folder as I was speaking to her. How nerve racking is that. Anyway, guess I should hear soon.

I forgot to mention one more thing. Angel said she turns them in according to order in which they were completed. Mine was completed around January 21st.

i was complete on 2/7 so it looks like its going to be a while before they get to mine. Probably will be competing for a spot in the last interview session. Oh well, what can ya do

Has anyone here been INVITED for an interview and was COMPLETE in November or later?

Has anyone here been INVITED for an interview and was COMPLETE in November or later?

I just checked my email and I was complete Jan 4th, interviewed Feb 4th, and accepted Feb 7th. I would call or email angel and ask her if any decition has been made. I know I did my secondary back in November so it was proably really complete then. Angel's email is [email protected]. She tends to be really good at getting back to emails and if you ask specific questions she will try to answer them for you. I thought my file was complete well before january but i must have been mistaken. I knew within 16 days of my complete status that I was in.
If you have any more q's just let me know :)
Good Luck everyone!
:luck:

Deeply appreciated futurecardio.

I think part of the problem is that I retook the MCAT in Jan.

Will you be attending PCSOM?

BTW futurecardio--which region are you from?

No problem at all! Because of your mcat in january you may get a march or april date for interview but there are still seats open. I am planning on attending PCSOM although if for some maricle I get into OUCOM I would go there but its not looking good the longer I dont hear about an interview. PCSOM is an amazing school and I loved it when I interviewed and could definatly see myself there. I'm from the appilachian region of ohio (east central). I feel my rural background and interest in giving back to the appilachian region helped me. Although I plan to specialize I plan to still work in the appilachian region.
On a side note for ALL of you who are still waiting:

Don't worry too much, I'll tell you this, I worried WAY too much and had even gotten a backup plan to go into an MPH program and boost my stats. When I had that totally done I got the interview invitation. I then stared at my phone all day monday after 1 pm praying it would ring and had given up and at 4:45 when I was texting a friend that I wasnt getting the call that day it rings with the news I've waited my whole life to hear. I finally get to prove myself, step into the shoes I was made for, and save lives. The last few weeks have been kinda a blur, and my body is crashing becuase of the amount of stress I put on it. So don't stress too much, tension tamer tea is a life saver adn most walmarts carry it. Try to limit how many times you check your email, maybe to in teh am when you get up and at 5 when the world is leaving work. If for some reason you dont get into med this year I promise you if you want it bad enough you will bring up your stats and prove to tehm next year that you are totally worth the risk. I think anyone on here will more than likely get into a school because you care enough to be here so keep your head up and keep your hearts open becuase you can and will make a difference!

No problem at all! Because of your mcat in january you may get a march or april date for interview but there are still seats open. I am planning on attending PCSOM although if for some maricle I get into OUCOM I would go there but its not looking good the longer I dont hear about an interview. PCSOM is an amazing school and I loved it when I interviewed and could definatly see myself there. I'm from the appilachian region of ohio (east central). I feel my rural background and interest in giving back to the appilachian region helped me. Although I plan to specialize I plan to still work in the appilachian region.
On a side note for ALL of you who are still waiting:

Don't worry too much, I'll tell you this, I worried WAY too much and had even gotten a backup plan to go into an MPH program and boost my stats. When I had that totally done I got the interview invitation. I then stared at my phone all day monday after 1 pm praying it would ring and had given up and at 4:45 when I was texting a friend that I wasnt getting the call that day it rings with the news I've waited my whole life to hear. I finally get to prove myself, step into the shoes I was made for, and save lives. The last few weeks have been kinda a blur, and my body is crashing becuase of the amount of stress I put on it. So don't stress too much, tension tamer tea is a life saver adn most walmarts carry it. Try to limit how many times you check your email, maybe to in teh am when you get up and at 5 when the world is leaving work. If for some reason you dont get into med this year I promise you if you want it bad enough you will bring up your stats and prove to tehm next year that you are totally worth the risk. I think anyone on here will more than likely get into a school because you care enough to be here so keep your head up and keep your hearts open becuase you can and will make a difference!

Righteous. Thank you for your sincere remarks.

Futurecardio17: Off topic question you wouldn't happen to be a twin would you? If so I think I interviewed with your brother at OU on Feb. 4th. and remember talking to him about it. If not then forget I asked haha. Anyways congrats on your Pikeville acceptance and I hope you hear something from Ohio soon!!!

lol no I'm not although that would be cool :p I think I would be a little hard to handle as a twin though! :p

Thanks futurecardio for the advice. Still, its tough as hell waiting just for an interview. I know that they have my folder and its just annoying as hell. But again, thanks for the advice. Good luck at PCSOM!