PERIO Match/Pass 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone heard from tufts or BU ?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone heard from tufts or BU ?
Boston sent out invites early and on a rolling basis. I submitted my application to Boston mid July and had an invite 2 days later. Pretty sure they'll keep sending out invites till all their spots are filled.

Last edited:
Boston sent out invites early and on a rolling basis. I submitted my application to Boston mid July and had an invite 2 days later. Pretty sure they'll keep sending out invites till all their spots are filled.
Thanks , you had your interview or not yet ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I have my interview with UTHSCSA tomorrow, I can post what kind of questions they ask afterwards if anyone is interested.

Houston interview is early September. Texas A&M on the 20th (interview dates are the 20th, 23rd, and 30th). UAB in October.

Good luck to everyone!
I hope ur interview went great ! If you don’t mind sharing what kind of questions they asked ? And who interviewed u ?

I hope your interview at Maryland went very well ! Could you mind to share some your interview experiences? Like who interviewed you? How many candidates in your batch?
Interview with Program director, Dr. Reidy and Dr. Phelan. Very easy interview process but their tuition is close to $75,000/ year. They give $15000/ year stipend.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope ur interview went great ! If you don’t mind sharing what kind of questions they asked ? And who interviewed u ?

The first day you'll have 2 interviews with teams of 2 faculty members (they might change but it was Dr. Lasho, Deas, Finlayson, and I can't remember the last one sorry). They asked basic questions, like where you're from, why I chose the school, what are my goals after residency. But for the most part, they just wanted to get to know you. It felt like a casual conversation!

The 2nd day you'll have an interview with Dr. Mealey (current program director) and Dr. P (upcoming program director). This one was a bit trickier, they asked questions like what are your weaknesses, name 3 successes you had in dental school that would make you a good resident at their program, what are any regrets you had, was there a time where you disagreed with a faculty member and how you approached it, what was the most stressful time you had in school ect. But they also asked questions like who was my favorite super hero, what dessert I would be, what color I would be, what book I would bring to a deserted island...I think they were trying to see if I could think on my feet.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has Boston sent out acceptances yet? (They are not participating in MATCH)

Do people think the hurricane is going to affect interviews etc

Do we need to tell any program that we are matching them or do the program directors tell you before hand they will match you ?

It is against the rule of Match process, but I heard there were some programs would like to do that to avoid the candidates they really didn’t want to take
I think if programs want to avoid a candidate they can simply just not rank them or rank them last. I think this behind the scenes are to make sure programs match their top candidates.

While they cannot tell you that you're guaranteed a spot I have had program directors and residents tell me things like "we're interested" or "keep us in mind when you're ranking".

Last edited:
Just curious if anyone has heard from ucla and LA VA? Ucla sent out an email last week saying they will start calling/emailing the applicants for the interview soon. Wondering if they already contacted people.

Reactions: 1 users
Wish you had a great interview there. May I ask you some questions about the interview process. How many faulty members did you meet?

The interview was very informal. Met with 5-6 faculty, including Dr. Greenwell. When not interviewing we were observing clinical and surgical procedure. After lunch we toured the medical/dental campus. More observation and exit interview with Dr. Greenwell.

Any international student received an email from NOVA mentioning I20 requirements? Any clue what does that mean?

Thanks
I was just wondering why would a school consider sending information about I20 before interviews? It comes after you get admission right?

Does anyone have any information about how to apply for post match positions? Do the schools that have an open spot require the candidates to send them paper copies of everything or can we still apply with our existing PASS information?

Does anyone have general information about the following California programs ; Loma Linda, University of Southern California (USC, and University of San Francisco (UCSF)? Program reputation, clinical skills preparation, prosth department relations? Very little information online. I have interviews but I live on the east coast and don't know much about the programs. Any information greatly appreciated!

Does anyone have general information about the following California programs ; Loma Linda, University of Southern California (USC, and University of San Francisco (UCSF)? Program reputation, clinical skills preparation, prosth department relations? Very little information online. I have interviews but I live on the east coast and don't know much about the programs. Any information greatly appreciated!
All three are great programs in terms of clinical skills. UCSF, being a strong research institution emphasizes a little more on research, but having said that it is also very strong clinically and is much cheaper tuition wise than the other two school, but living cost is SF is also much higher than LA. UCSF has a great relationship with its prosth department as well but I don’t have information about the rest of the schools.Hope this helps.

Is nova participating in match?
Yes, it is.

Does anyone have information about Nova like how many times per week for the clinic, patients flow ect.. ?
Is the cost of living there affordable, and what is the safest area there?
Thank you.

Has musc finished with interviews? Deadline is end of the month

Any news from Augusta Georgia and UNC?

I talked to the program director around August 20, and they said they had started reviewing apps the week before and will notify people as soon as they can. Also, the interview info (first week of Sept) on the ADEA PASS search page for Augusta is incorrect. They told me that they have not set an interview date yet.

Do you know if Washington Seattle sent the other invitations for October 11th ?

I talked to the program director around August 20, and they said they had started reviewing apps the week before and will notify people as soon as they can. Also, the interview info (first week of Sept) on the ADEA PASS search page for Augusta is incorrect. They told me that they have not set an interview date yet.

At least 1 Augusta interview date is September 25th.

I know they have sent at least one interview date which is next Tuesday sept 24th. Not sure if they are sending out anymore invites.
Do you know when they sent the interview invitation for Sep 24th? Thanks

For those who have had interviews what types of questions have been asked? Are thy mainly just asking about you or are there perio questions?

Has medical university of south Caroline finished interviews ?