PERIO Match/Pass 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@ktdds based on hearsay. I’m keen to find out more myself . Have you been there. @BillyBudd seems to be more in the know

Members don't see this ad.

The current director at Texas A&M started as director in June, so not yet 6 months. But he was a clinical faculty member for a year before that.

Do you know what they look for in residents? Do they prefer those who have worked?

The past few years, they have always chosen new grads, i.e. in D4 year at the time of interview. They have given interviews to experienced dentists, but did not choose them.
I don't know what the criteria was this year. They had some of the pure research faculty participate in the interviews for the first time this year. And there were several interviewees from the recent graduates of the Texas A&M Biomedical Sciences PhD program.
Did the new grads have strong research backgrounds or picked more for having nice/amenable personalities?

That’s interesting about this year. Not sure how good a phd student would be at the clinical side of the program after many years without patient exposure.

Do you mind me asking how you know so much? really helpful though :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The current director at Texas A&M started as director in June, so not yet 6 months. But he was a clinical faculty member for a year before that.

So mainly the director may not be stable in the program. How does that actually affect any residency program? And how is he as the program director? What are the other problems with the Baylor program?
And how is UNC?

I imagine the director plays a big role in the direction of the program.

In other words, does the program have a research emphasis (Michigan), clinical emphasis (UAB), or a mixture of the two (70/30, 60/40, or 50/50 mix)? That is how I view them at least.

Rankings due today!

Only 7 days until MATCH!

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
That makes sense. The schools I interviewed at that were interested in research interviewed a mix of DDS/PhD, 4th year dental students, or individuals who had been doing research at the school already. In comparison, the schools that I interviewed at that had a more clinical focus still interviewed 4th year dental students, but rather than interviewing DDS/PhD candidates they were interviewing GPR/AEGD.

If for some reason you're checking here before your e-mail, Match results are out.

Unfortunately did not match :(
When is the post match positions list will be out?

Members don't see this ad :)
I matched at Iowa (my #1 choice)

Reactions: 4 users
10. If your GPA needs enhancement, go for further education. A GPR or AEGD can help build up clinical skills. An MS program in biomedical sciences (at a school with a perio program) can give you good exposure and build up your research skills!
I understand the GPR/AEGD recommendation, but aren’t the MS in biomedical sciences programs geared more towards pre-med and pre-dental students who want to get into med/dental schools? Can one enroll in these programs part-time and practicing dentistry full-time?

I'm a current D3 and am seriously considering a perio residency but am concerned my class rank/grades are high enough. For those of you that matched/did not match, would you mind sharing your stats? Thanks!

Curious-did anyone secure
The post match spot(s)?

Also those who match after you pay your deposit is there anything else to do next?

I'm a current D3 and am seriously considering a perio residency but am concerned my class rank/grades are high enough. For those of you that matched/did not match, would you mind sharing your stats? Thanks!
I matched. Not sure what my class rank was, it was never revealed but I would say in the middle. My marks were cumulative GPA of 3.11. I have been working for several years. My marks came up in interviews and yes they matter, but they are not the end all be all. The schools that invited me for interviews wanted to see more than just the marks. As in who you are as a person, your maturity, life experience, dealing with conflict, etc.

To summarize, yes marks matter, but also focus on your life. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. All the best :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Curious-did anyone secure
The post match spot(s)?

Also those who match after you pay your deposit is there anything else to do next?
Paid my deposit. Sent back my letter of acceptance and the school is starting to set me up with an online account, email address, etc. Information is released incrementally. Will be needing to do police background check, apply for state license and so on.

How many schools does the average applicant apply to total? Is there strategy to a longer or shorter list for match?

I applied to 8 schools and I thought that was plenty.

A couple pieces of advice my faculty gave me:
1) Don't apply to a place you don't want to move to. In other words, if you can't stand the cold don't apply to a school in a cold climate because you may end up there.
2) They recommended only 6 schools because it's expensive to apply to schools, it's expensive to travel, and if two schools offer you an interview on the same day you may only be able to go to one. (I say may only be able to go to one because some schools do all of their interviews in a single day).

It helps if you are able to find out if some schools only accept new grads, candidates with an AEGD/GPR, or candidates with research experience or private practice experience. I applied to 9 schools (felt like a lot) and some off the bat invited me for an interview within no time, others wouldn't even touch me with a ten foot pole. I was in private practice for some time, so it would've saved me some money if I didn't apply to schools that only take new grads, because they deem working dentists unteachable. This is what I heard on my interview circuit talking to other candidates, so take this with a grain of salt. End of the day if you can afford it apply to more.

Always bring a bazooka to a gun fight ; ) Best of luck.

Last edited:
I have no real basis for this but rather just an observation from when I was interviewing.

The schools that are more clinically oriented (or less focused on research) like UTSA, Nebraska, and Louisville were more open to having AEGD/GPR or practicing dentists interview than schools that place a greater focus on research.

Has anyone’s program reached out to them regarding changes in schedules or admission due to coronavirus?

I received an email earlier this week that orientation is still scheduled to start at the end of June.

It helps if you are able to find out if some schools only accept new grads, candidates with an AEGD/GPR, or candidates with research experience or private practice experience. I applied to 9 schools (felt like a lot) and some off the bat invited me for an interview within no time, others wouldn't even touch me with a ten foot pole. I was in private practice for some time, so it would've saved me some money if I didn't apply to schools that only take new grads, because they deem working dentists unteachable. This is what I heard on my interview circuit talking to other candidates, so take this with a grain of salt. End of the day if you can afford it apply to more.

Always bring a bazooka to a gun fight ; ) Best of luck.
I know you said take with a grain of salt, but did you hear of or notice any schools that usually take new grads? Currently a D3 and having a hard time deciding where to apply beyond a couple schools that I'm set on.

I know you said take with a grain of salt, but did you hear of or notice any schools that usually take new grads? Currently a D3 and having a hard time deciding where to apply beyond a couple schools that I'm set on.
This is all here say and I have no experience other then what other candidates shared with me in interviews. I interviewed at NYU, Boston, Pittsburgh, and NOVA and there were new grad candidates being interviewed there. I heard Alabama and Nebraska only interview new grads. That's all I can offer and hope it helps. Best bet is use the ADEA PASS search engine, compile a list, make an excel sheet and slowly start zeroing in on programs of interest.

Best of luck

I interviewed at both UAB and Nebraska. At UAB, I interviewed with a student in their GPR program. At Nebraska had a strange cycle this year as no one from Nebraska applied to their program. When I interviewed at Nebraska there were at least 2-3 GPR residents students that day and at other interviews I had met practicing dentists who interviewed there.

Surprised its a thing that programs would only encourage new grads. Its implied that an applicant would be open to learning and expanding their knowledge, regardless of experience.

Or maybe not

I never got the impression programs are only encouraging new grads to apply. Here are a few reasons why I think I mostly saw new grads at the interviews.

1) Once someone has started working and earning a nice income they are probably less likely to want to go back to school and take on more debt.
2) If someone wasn't interested in specializing while they were in school they may not have focused on grades, class rank, research, etc.. While they may have more clinical experience than a new grad they may not be as competitive on paper as the new grads who were always interested in specializing.
3) Dentists who have been practicing and have families might not get support from their spouse, kids, etc. to go back to school.
4) A practicing dentists just might not want to be a student again. They may enjoy being the one in charge and not being told what to do.

For me personally, if I didn't get in right out of school I would like to think I would re-apply but it is hard to say for certain that I would. If I ended up in a good situation where I like what I'm doing and who I'm working with I think it would be hard to give that up.

Reactions: 2 users

I matched at HSDM. US DMD GPA 4.0 (not sure what my class rank is). Foreign DMD GPA 3.3. I'm an international dentist who did an advanced standing program here. Been working as a GP for 6 months at time of MATCH results. Applied to 5 schools, but accepted only 1 interview invite and declined all other interview offers because I did not want to miss work. When you start earning $$, it's a little hard to give it up, which goes to show I really did not want to go to any of those other programs anyway. I interviewed at one school, ranked the same school, matched at that school.

All the best to you in applying for Perio next year! With how the world is looking post-Covid, residency seems like a good way to increase your skillset and income potential while insulating yourself from the economic recoil of this pandemic.

Does anyone know if there are any current unfilled residency programs for 2020 post match?