Penn State vs. Michigan State (CHM)...is additional $20,000/yr worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nanotech15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the fortunate, yet difficult, position of deciding between two medical school programs. Being from Michigan the main thing that immediately comes to mind in deciding between MSU and PSU is the difference in IS vs. OOS tuition.

In this regard do you think the better reputation (and brand new children's hospital, which is exciting to me considering I want to go into a pediatric sub-specialty) justify the additional $20,000/yr tuition?

Does going to a medical school ranked #65 in the nation (PSU) make a significant difference in obtaining a better residency match than a school ranked #106 (MSU)?

....I realize that there are many other factors that play a role in my decision, but honestly when it comes down to it the cost and where my education will place me at the next level are fundamental and this question can be generalized to anyone in such a similar situation, not just regarding my specific choice between MSU and PSU

Thanks in advance for any input (I hope this was the right place to post this thread!) Good luck to everyone

Members don't see this ad.

If you're interested in staying in Michigan for residency, I really see no reason at all for you to go to Penn State. The ranking won't make a difference, and your in-state/geographical advantage for Michigan would be intact.

The rankings won't affect you much for residency options. Neither school is in the Top 40. After that, it's more or less a moot point what school you went to...just that you got an allopathic MD degree in the US.

My vote goes to Michigan (cheaper and closer to home), but that's of course debatable whether or not you really liked Penn State that much more, and if you actually want to get out of Michigan for awhile.

I am in the fortunate, yet difficult, position of deciding between two medical school programs. Being from Michigan the main thing that immediately comes to mind in deciding between MSU and PSU is the difference in IS vs. OOS tuition.

In this regard do you think the better reputation (and brand new children's hospital, which is exciting to me considering I want to go into a pediatric sub-specialty) justify the additional $20,000/yr tuition?

Does going to a medical school ranked #65 in the nation (PSU) make a significant difference in obtaining a better residency match than a school ranked #106 (MSU)?

....I realize that there are many other factors that play a role in my decision, but honestly when it comes down to it the cost and where my education will place me at the next level are fundamental and this question can be generalized to anyone in such a similar situation, not just regarding my specific choice between MSU and PSU

Thanks in advance for any input (I hope this was the right place to post this thread!) Good luck to everyone

Can I ask where you got those rankings from? USNWR doesn't have PSU ranked.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, if MSU is really that much cheaper for you, (make sure of that - it is NOT cheap even for in staters) AND you're from Michigan, save the money. If I could re-choose my school I wish I would have just gone to the cheapest one. For real.

I surveyed a bunch of docs as I got serious about this process and the far majority told me that where you go to med school isn't really that important, it's what you do there that counts. Meaning that it's better to go to a school where you can distinguish yourself and set yourself up for a great residency than go to a pedigree school and be an "also ran" in the class. To get one of your top three residency choices, you need someone at your med school willing to pick up the phone and do some lobbying for you. They described med school as the regular season and residency as the Super Bowl. Based on their input it sounds like MSU would be a fine choice and save you some serious coin. Good luck!

I wouldn't go to penn state, personally. I've read that the pennsylvania legislature cut a great deal of funding and whatever garnered them that 65 spot will likely leave with the funding, so the ranking is moot. Go to MSU and don't look back.

http://harrisburg.psu.edu/news/penn-state-president-critical-plan-slash-state-funding

To me I think it depends on a few things. If you did your undergrad at MSU or and Michigan school for that matter, I would say leave and get some new experiences. However, if you feel uncomfortable with that, perhaps not. Go to the place where you really think you'll be happier. Go to the place that excites you the most. If you are happier, you'll perform better in medical school and get a better residency. This will lead you to a better career and the money to pay off the loans no matter where you go. Follow your heart, not the money.

Stay in Michigan. If you want to try living elsewhere for a while, that's what your residency can be for. $80k ain't pocket change.

Stay in Michigan. If you want to try living elsewhere for a while, that's what your residency can be for. $80k ain't pocket change.

totally agree. and it's way more than 80k when you're paying interest on this for 15 or 30 years. use a loan calculator and see what 80k will be monthly and think about paying that on a resident's salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.