Penn State class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
socal1015 said:
I also received my financial aid award letter yesterday. Mostly loans for me.

Well, if it's "mostly" than you are luckier than most of us here! :D

I am all 100% loans loans loans. My only hope for turning that around is finding a place in med school where I am interested and might get scholarships or other funding. Every little bit counts. At least in the beginning, I will probably have to go against all advice and get a part-time job. It's a fine line, figuring a job that pays enough to be worth the precious time you will be taking away from studying. And something I can actually stand doing. Oy. :p

Anyway, good to hear some of those missing letters have rolled in to you guys. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

ccatgg said:
Hey! Looks like I'll be joining you guys come this fall. Like lots of people on this thread, I am from So. Cal (Orange County). While I am still waiting for a couple of final decisions on some waitlists, I'm not sweating it because Penn State is a good fit for me.

For those that are interested, I came across this link for the fall 2005 schedule... it doesn't seem that bad: http://www.humangrossanatomy.com/schedule/fall_semester05.pdf

welcome ccatgg and thanks for the info! i hope you join the rest of us californians in the journey to the east coast...

questions for you guys:
for financial aid now, all we have to do is pick a lender right? is there anything else we need to do?

also, for student health insurance, does anyone know where we find the benefits plan for the student insurance? i've looked at the website student health has posted but it only has brochures for undergrad and grad students, not med students. is there a difference between the brochures and are we considered undergrad or grad? :confused: thanks for any info. if you click on the "New health insurance policies effective august 2005" icon thingy, it mentions undergrad forms? :confused:

I also received my financial aid award letter on Saturday. All loans. Bummer.

Members don't see this ad :)
LT2 said:
questions for you guys:
for financial aid now, all we have to do is pick a lender right? is there anything else we need to do?

Yes, pick your lender, apply for the stafford/alt loans and sign the master promissory note. If you're using THE it's pretty easy to see online if you've done all those things (the promissory note is listed separately from the application). I'm sure other online lenders are like that. If you are using other types of lenders, you should have a copy of the app and the MPN.

Note- I think in Mid-June (the deadline for the cost of attendance increase) PSU will be updating the loan info with our requested amount, for those using preferred lenders. When I applied, I never had to say how much I was applying for... and it's just sitting there, pending... so I'm sure there will be some final communique with PSU (either directly or through us). Oh, it might be even later-- remember Fin Aid lady mentioned (as did our award letters, I think) that final tuition isn't figured until July? So the lenders won't know what to give us until those numbers come out, anyway.

LT2 said:
also, for student health insurance, does anyone know where we find the benefits plan for the student insurance? i've looked at the website student health has posted but it only has brochures for undergrad and grad students, not med students. is there a difference between the brochures and are we considered undergrad or grad? :confused: thanks for any info. if you click on the "New health insurance policies effective august 2005" icon thingy, it mentions undergrad forms? :confused:

Yeah, I noticed it's a bit cryptic. I think, short of calling student health, you will have to wait until orientation (unless they send us info in July after we submit our physicals/immunization records). It may be the same plan(s) they offer to undergrads and grad students. What you see online now is probably going to be adjusted slightly for 2006-- the health plans always change just a little each year. They may or may not have that finalized right now.

Do any of you know how it works for those of us coming OOS? Do we get in-state status after a year or not?

Thanks

socal1015 said:
Do any of you know how it works for those of us coming OOS? Do we get in-state status after a year or not?

Thanks

negative socal...

Hey are there any international students on here? I just wanted to know what type of experience you've had with the international office, in terms of getting all the required documents ready?

keedz said:
Hey are there any international students on here? I just wanted to know what type of experience you've had with the international office, in terms of getting all the required documents ready?

Hey! I am an international student and I cant really say the international services office has been super helpful. I have sent in all the required document and I am still waiting on them to send me the damn visa documents. Hopefully I get all the documents on time. Msg me if u have any specific questions. I am soo glad there is another I'tnl student on here... Yay!!!

greekdoc said:
Hey! I am an international student and I cant really say the international services office has been super helpful. I have sent in all the required document and I am still waiting on them to send me the damn visa documents. Hopefully I get all the documents on time. Msg me if u have any specific questions. I am soo glad there is another I'tnl student on here... Yay!!!

WELCOME greekdoc. Hope to see you in August. :)

greekdoc said:

Ok see....that's what I was afraid of. I tried to get into contact with someone today and the lady that answered the phone, couldn't help me and then she transferred me to someone that didn't answer his phone (big suprise). I hope that this isn't the way they normally are.

so, if you don't mind me asking, where are you international students from?

also, is anyone interested in medical spanish? does anyone have any information about their medical spanish "class"? i kept asking about it at second look and everyone seemed to know someone in the class but no one could tell me anything about the class...

edit: greekdoc, are you greek (you can call me stater of the obvious if you are...)?

I just received this e-mail from Fred Stuppy:

Greetings
I have good news the Web page is finally up-to-date. http://www.hmc.psu.edu/md/students/laptop.html

We have negotiated a great price for this year $1,599.00.
- Processor Pentium Dual Core, 2.00 GHz
- OS XP Professional sp2
- Size 1.26 thin, 13.2(w) x9.3(d)
- screen size 14.1 WXGA+
- Video Accelerator 950
- weight 4.37 lbs.
- storage 40 GB
- memory 1 GB DDR2-533
- Battery 6 Cell, 56 Whr
- Wireless 1490 Dual Band
- Ports 4 USB, VGA, serial, Parallel, Ethernet
- modem, PCMCIA
- 24X CDRW/DVD Combo

Remember this includes:
- Computer,
- Computer Bag,
- Windows XP Pro
- 3 years Dell maintenance,
- 3 years onsight support
- Microsoft office
- Groupwise
- symantec
- WebRoot Spy sweeper
- other software

Hope you like it. I wish I could get one
If you have any questions or wish to back out of the program for any reason please email me, otherwise I look forward to seeing you at orentation and your computer training class.

Fred

Fred Stuppy CSP, CCP
Information Resources and Technology
Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
717-531-5559

keedz said:
Ok see....that's what I was afraid of. I tried to get into contact with someone today and the lady that answered the phone, couldn't help me and then she transferred me to someone that didn't answer his phone (big suprise). I hope that this isn't the way they normally are.

No I am not greek, like from greece...i think all other doc/md names were taken so i had to be innovative...LOL. nah, seriously i am greek.... like in a fraternity . Thats abt it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
LT2 said:
also, is anyone interested in medical spanish? does anyone have any information about their medical spanish "class"?

Yeah, I'm very interested. Although, when I decided on PSU, I pretty much figured I wouldn't get that much of a chance to use/practice it. The Latino community around HBurg is very small.

As for the class, I get the feeling it's based on interest (# of students who want to take it) and also who's available to teach it. But at least we know there are two of us, right? So if we get a handful of others, then maybe they could justify trying to organize it this coming schoolyear. :thumbup:

My Spanish is rusty at best, and I know there's some medical vocab that I've probably never even heard. OK, when we get there, I'll put out the feelers and see what we need to do to enroll/create the course. :)

LT2 said:
also, is anyone interested in medical spanish? does anyone have any information about their medical spanish "class"?

I am also interested in medical spanish. Since there isn't a big Hispanic population in or around Hershey, once we learn this medical spanish wouldn't we just lose it because we won't have a chance to practice it often? :(

glad to hear there are others interested in medical spanish! from the jumbled bits i got at second look, there is supposedly a structured "class" that has a book and is offered for a small fee. i do believe students of the med school teach the class and i'm sure some of it's based on student interest. it sounds like there might be enough interest to keep the class going next year (yay!). i think there are three levels, beginning, intermediate, and advanced. if you complete all the courses it is noted on your transcript when you graduate.

as far as using/losing the spanish we learn, i'm sure if you want to use it, you'll find places to use it. i know at suny upstate they held free clinics for latino migrant farm workers. if there's a latino community in upstate new york, there's gotta be something of one in Hburg. also, scalpellum, don't forget fourth year rotations are open to the wide world. i plan on coming home to san diego for awhile and hopefully venturing to spain as well -- put that spanish to good use!

LT2 said:
if there's a latino community in upstate new york, there's gotta be something of one in Hburg.

Hey, I just looked it up-- HBurg is 7% Hispanic and there are Latino community organizations in HBurg, Lancaster, Northeatern PA, etc. Cool. I know it's not even as big as the community in Baltimore, but it's something. Hey, if they don't have a (Latino) community clinic already, anyone want to start one with me? :D

I think they might have some specific days when the free clinic in HBurg that LionCare is afilliated with caters to the Latino community, but if there's a big enough need, it'd be cool to start a more full-time and dedicated place.

FDoRoML said:
Hey, if they don't have a (Latino) community clinic already, anyone want to start one with me? :D

I think they might have some specific days when the free clinic in HBurg that LionCare is afilliated with caters to the Latino community, but if there's a big enough need, it'd be cool to start a more full-time and dedicated place.

i'd absolutely be up for setting up/furthering any free clinic at penn state. i feel very strongly about student involvement in the community especially via free clinics. as far as i knew, the lion care was predominantly for the homeless but i could be completely wrong. anyway, i'm looking forward to hearing more about it when the time comes...

FDoRoML said:
Hey, I just looked it up-- HBurg is 7% Hispanic and there are Latino community organizations in HBurg, Lancaster, Northeatern PA, etc. Cool. I know it's not even as big as the community in Baltimore, but it's something. Hey, if they don't have a (Latino) community clinic already, anyone want to start one with me? :D

FDoRoML, I am interested in starting a clinic if they do not yet have one.

Scalpellum said:
I am also interested in medical spanish. Since there isn't a big Hispanic population in or around Hershey, once we learn this medical spanish wouldn't we just lose it because we won't have a chance to practice it often? :(

there is a good amount of spanish speaking patients in harrisburg and more than likely you will get rotations in harrisburg in 3rd year. also rotations in lehigh and reading hospitals where speaking spanish would be very helpful (reading has practically 85% hispanics).

lioncare is in harrisburg and most of the patients do not have access to medical care (which is not always = homeless). trust me, it would be difficult to never use your spanish even in this area.

Scalpellum said:
FDoRoML, I am interested in starting a clinic if they do not yet have one.

i'm a little confused as to what you want to create...a clinic just for hispanics? i'm not sure if that would work out well but don't listen to me to crush an idea! creating a clinic involves having attendings present so it would be best if you are thinking about creating specific clinics to go through LionCare to do it (which already has staff in place...)

Hey guys-- I'm waving g'bye. I withdrew from Penn State today. Best of luck to someone on the waitlist! :D

4424 said:
i'm a little confused as to what you want to create...a clinic just for hispanics? i'm not sure if that would work out well but don't listen to me to crush an idea! creating a clinic involves having attendings present so it would be best if you are thinking about creating specific clinics to go through LionCare to do it (which already has staff in place...)

i don't think we wanted to create anything, per se. i think it was just an idea if lioncare didn't provide the experience we wanted, but it sounds as though it does... :)

hey wistarrat, did you cave in for VCU? best of luck!

LT2 said:
i don't think we wanted to create anything, per se. i think it was just an idea if lioncare didn't provide the experience we wanted, but it sounds as though it does... :)

hey wistarrat, did you cave in for VCU? best of luck!

ha! i did cave. just a better fit. if anyone is interested in why or is having a similar situation, feel free to PM. I've dissected both schools to death. finally can sleep at night. :oops:

Scalpellum said:

Don't want to tread on a thread I am technically not part of...yet(?) as I am waitlisted, but... PSU is my #1 choice!!! I minored in Spanish and I would be sooo interested in starting something up if I get the chance!!! We can ALWAYS practice our spanish together! :D

¡Vamos a disfrutarnos cuando hablamos español juntos y con los pacientes en PSU! ;)

You guys seemed to hit all the bits and pieces about the medical spanish course. Isn't it amazing how much info we can get if we work together? Haha.

Anyway, I'm actually in charge of the medical spanish courses next year, and el presidente and I haven't decided what the particulars will be. Interest level and satisfaction were pretty good for the way they ran it this year. $10 per semester and a 13 dollar textbook (great phrasebook regardless of what classes you take!) and we have class every friday at lunchtime.

The advanced class ran as follows (i had more experience with this one)
same price, same book, same class time
but we focused more on conversational practice and medical vocabulary. He gave us a journal article per week to read through and discuss the following week.

In summary, it's not very organized and it may never be. Instead, it's a self directed course where you learn the amount of spanish you want to learn based on how much effort you put into it. (like the rest of med school)

If anyone has any more specific questions or recommendations, lemme know!

We're also working on a once per month hispanic clinic at LionCare. The wheels were rolling this year, but I don't think there was enough demand from the community.

Avianburner said:
We're also working on a once per month hispanic clinic at LionCare. The wheels were rolling this year, but I don't think there was enough demand from the community.

Sounds good to me!!

Avianburner said:

that's unfortunate!

anyway, glad to finally hear a bit about the "program". are there spanish tutors available for off time? i can learn things from books, but with a language, i need to be able to talk to someone. i think that's really the only way i'd learn spanish... i'm pretty hellbent on learning spanish before i graduate so hopefully that will amount to something!

strawberryfields, don't worry about "intruding", the more the merrier. i've been following your posts in the PSU thread in pre-allo. i hope things work out for you, you sound like a good fit for the school... :) maybe you can take wistarrat's spot...

LT2 said:
that's unfortunate!

anyway, glad to finally hear a bit about the "program". are there spanish tutors available for off time? i can learn things from books, but with a language, i need to be able to talk to someone. i think that's really the only way i'd learn spanish... i'm pretty hellbent on learning spanish before i graduate so hopefully that will amount to something!

strawberryfields, don't worry about "intruding", the more the merrier. i've been following your posts in the PSU thread in pre-allo. i hope things work out for you, you sound like a good fit for the school... :) maybe you can take wistarrat's spot...

awww you're so sweet :love: ! I would love to take that spot!! any spot, actually! No seriously, I loved PSU so much, I feel like I'd be a good fit too-- when I interviewed I just felt like everything "clicked" with me, so... I'm drafting a 2nd LOI, and will likely get another LOR, other than that, just praying for the best! :luck: Believe me, there is nothing more I'd rather do than see you guys in Hershey in August!! :D

p.s. I'd be more than happy to help tutor you in espanol! :oops:

LT2, the spanish culture club runs a weekly spanish chat which was on tuesdays during lunch this year....I didn't make it to any of them (despite knowing that discussion is the one thing i need to break that fluency barrier), so i can't help you further than that. I'm good friends with the president of the club, so i'll suggest that we need to advertise the chat sessions more. (as far as I know, the biggest complaint from our class concerning extra curriculars was knowledge....if we hear about stuff more often, we'd be more likely to participate. So as a whole, your class will know much more of the opportunities available to you)

strawberryfield..........don't sweat my dear! If it makes you feel any better, I was sitting in Drexel's post bacc program orientation week when I got my phone call to join the ranks of Penn State. It was the best 2.5 minutes of my life. I'd been on the waiting list since November, and I passed with flying colors (i.e. room to spare and didn't kill myself to do it) I only sent one LOI, but I would rely on the others on this board to give you advice on sending a second LOI). Good Luck! We'd love to have you aboard!

edit: our friend's name is different from the song....

sorry if this has already been discussed guys, didn't feel like sifting through all the pages. when does the first day of orientation start??

sf1991 said:
sorry if this has already been discussed guys, didn't feel like sifting through all the pages. when does the first day of orientation start??

Monday, August 7

Avianburner said:
strawberryfield..........don't sweat my dear! If it makes you feel any better, I was sitting in Drexel's post bacc program orientation week when I got my phone call to join the ranks of Penn State. It was the best 2.5 minutes of my life. I'd been on the waiting list since November, and I passed with flying colors (i.e. room to spare and didn't kill myself to do it) I only sent one LOI, but I would rely on the others on this board to give you advice on sending a second LOI). Good Luck! We'd love to have you aboard!

edit: our friend's name is different from the song....

thanks for the inspiring story! I will be holding out until the last minute!

btw, about my name... strawberryfields was 1 letter too long, so lo and behold strawberryfield ;) :D

For current students, what do you think about the Patient Project? About how much time during the week do you devote towards it? And how big of group do they assign to one patient?

Just curious :)

socal1015 said:
For current students, what do you think about the Patient Project? About how much time during the week do you devote towards it? And how big of group do they assign to one patient?

I definitely enjoyed the patient project. Most of the patients have been doing it for years, so they tend to get the details out in the first couple visits, leaving other visits just for chatting. We had 2 students per patient, and I really wouldn't consider it a "how much time per week." It was much more like how much time per month, which was at MOST one night a month. We have two informal presentations to give and one final paper throughout the year. The Humanities department truly keeps it a fun and learning experience. It was a great opportunity to have someone tell you what they like about docs and what they hate.

socal1015 said:

also for continuity purposes, you do something similar during ur 3rd year primary care rotation and you compare your 1st and 3rd year experiences

Avianburner said:
LT2, the spanish culture club runs a weekly spanish chat which was on tuesdays during lunch this year....I didn't make it to any of them (despite knowing that discussion is the one thing i need to break that fluency barrier), so i can't help you further than that. I'm good friends with the president of the club, so i'll suggest that we need to advertise the chat sessions more. (as far as I know, the biggest complaint from our class concerning extra curriculars was knowledge....if we hear about stuff more often, we'd be more likely to participate. So as a whole, your class will know much more of the opportunities available to you)

thanks for the info! :thumbup: and strawberry, i'm going to take you up on your tutoring offer when you get accepted!

i've started planning my trip across the country, crazy! i can't believe i'm going to sit in my car for 40 hours to drive across the country! :eek: at least i'll be able to check some cool stuff out along the way (zion, yellowstone, mt. rushmore, niagara falls).

does anyone know if we're supposed to be sending our final transcripts somewhere?

ps. i like our thread's 5 star rating :thumbup: !

LT2 said:
strawberry, i'm going to take you up on your tutoring offer when you get accepted!

deal! :D always happy to help!

Medical terms are very similar in Spanish beacause of their latin roots, ex: "diabetes" is the same word in Spanish, just pronouced "dee-ah-bee-tess," or "cholesterol" is "colesterol" (pronounced pretty much the same way as in English!) :p

I :love: you guys!

If anyone is interested there is a good opportunity for work while you are in Hershey. For the last three years my wife and I were relief houseparents at the Milton Hershey School. It is a K-12 boarding school for disadvantaged kids set up by Milton Hershey. The regular houseparents get every other weekend off, so the school needs people to watch the kids. It is limited to couples married for at least one year (at least that was the policy when we applied), but it pays really well (@$1000/month total) and there is usually plenty of time to study. You show up at 6:00PM on Friday and are on until 9:30 Sunday night. A lot of couples do it to make ends meet. You can also be on there on call list so if you are not comfortable committing to a rigid schedule, you can just work when they call and you are free. You can bring your kids (we had high school girls, and they were great with our kids). If you are interested send me a PM and I will give you more info.

ewells said:
If anyone is interested there is a good opportunity for work while you are in Hershey. For the last three years my wife and I were relief houseparents at the Milton Hershey School. It is a K-12 boarding school for disadvantaged kids set up by Milton Hershey. The regular houseparents get every other weekend off, so the school needs people to watch the kids. It is limited to couples married for at least one year (at least that was the policy when we applied), but it pays really well (@$1000/month total) and there is usually plenty of time to study. You show up at 6:00PM on Friday and are on until 9:30 Sunday night. A lot of couples do it to make ends meet. You can also be on there on call list so if you are not comfortable committing to a rigid schedule, you can just work when they call and you are free. You can bring your kids (we had high school girls, and they were great with our kids). If you are interested send me a PM and I will give you more info.

that does sound interesting. my wife and i will be married two years in october, she is a nurse, and we are planning on buying a house in the area, so we will definitely be looking for some extra cash flow. i'll throw you a pm to get more info. i just decided to turn down an offer to attend miami and keep my spot at penn state. my wife and i really loved the area when we came back to visit in may, and i think hershey is gonna be a great place to study medicine. look forward to meeting you guys during orientation.

just thought i'd share this with you guys. my friend who is a first year gave me the anatomy website:

http://www.humangrossanatomy.com

i haven't taken a good look at it, but it looks like a good overview of the course, etc.

nice link, LT. man, those exams look fierce.

I just got this e-mail from Penn State:

We are in the process of sending to you important documents regarding
Orientation dates, activities, and other matriculation requirements.
The address to which they are being sent is the “preferred” address you
indicated on your AMCAS application. Likewise, this email is being sent
to the email address you indicated as “preferred” on your AMCAS
application.

Scalpellum said:
I just got this e-mail from Penn State:

We are in the process of sending to you important documents regarding
Orientation dates, activities, and other matriculation requirements.
The address to which they are being sent is the “preferred” address you
indicated on your AMCAS application. Likewise, this email is being sent
to the email address you indicated as “preferred” on your AMCAS
application.

Yeah, me too. It's always good to "hear something" from them. I get worried when it's really silent. Haha... I guess I won't relax and feel like I've really gotten into med school until I'm there taking classes. :)

Who else is getting excited? :thumbup:

Does anyone know what orientation week consists of? What does the schedule look like... I guess we will just have to wait and see. On a different note.... how necessary are laptops in med school. I have an older one, but I'm trying to decide if it would be worth the money to get a new one. I have a nice desktop, but I'm really wondering how many students take laptops to class. I'm definately getting excited!

kahoona said:
Does anyone know what orientation week consists of? What does the schedule look like... I guess we will just have to wait and see. On a different note.... how necessary are laptops in med school. I have an older one, but I'm trying to decide if it would be worth the money to get a new one. I have a nice desktop, but I'm really wondering how many students take laptops to class. I'm definately getting excited!

I'm undecided about how often I'll be bringing my laptop (not buying a new one since mine is pretty darned new... but I have to upgrade the OS to XP Professional--- waaah!). For me, I don't like taking notes on the PC during class, but I may want to use the wireless network to access materials, etc, while I'm there (like, studying in the library or something).

Any 2nd years have a take on this?? How useful is it for most people?

As for what Orientation Week will probably be like for us...
Look Here to get an idea (class of 2009)

By the looks of the last year's orientation schedule, it looks like a lot of fun. I'm definitely looking forward to getting started. I hope that we can catch a good amount of the warm weather before winter moves in. It's going to be a huge adjustment (especially for us Californians). All my friends who've lived on the east coast are recommending all sorts of stuff for me to buy like thermals, waterproof boots, etc. I don't want to buy more than what I need though.

Does anyone know with regards to the laptops whether or not they can configure our laptops with all the necessary programs if we brought our own? Like others, I already have a fairly decent laptop so I really don't see a reason for me to buy another one.

Some laptop notes....For some history, I didn't use a laptop at all in undergrad...

During anatomy there were few laptops...For the first half, Dr. Zagon has handouts (which are basically barebones body areas) where you color in structures, so for his half, it's all paper and books. During Dr. Evey's half, he posts a lot more on the website (humangrossanatomy.com is his baby), but it's usually in PDF and you're unable to take notes on the laptop anyway. I took mine in one or two days to try it out (taking notes in .doc), but it was actually too slow. It worked better for me to print out his pics in color.

The rest of the year was a different story. Nearly every prof posts their ppt lecture, and many provide a more detailed outline. Printing out all the info either at home ($20+ per print cartridge and ~3" ring binder FULL of paper per exam) or at the libary ($.05 per page in black and white) sounded ridiculous to me and many other students. Probably 2/3 of students or more used laptops for the rest of the year. CAVEAT: espn.com, aim, email are extremely distracting, but way more interesting than biochem lectures.......VERY easy to not pay attention

As you all have heard by now, med school is about figuring out what works for you. There were a sizable amount of students who religiously printed out each and every piece of information available. I would say that method, while outrageously expensive is certainly helpful if you're easily distracted by a computer.

I used my laptop for most of the year, and I was distracted by it for most of the year. I rode the median for most of the year without too much stress. I'm also not a good lecture learner...I have to spend the time on it on my own...

Thermals......I know you warm weather people get cold easily, but the 5 minute walk from the kennels or from your car won't necessitate thermals....unless you want to make a snow angel on the way there. Invest in a warm coat and you'll do great (leather is perfect, peacoats can get chilly if you're only wearing a tshirt underneath)

too much info??? did i really just give coat advice to incoming first years???
:laugh:

can't wait to meet you all!!