Penn State class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The JockDoc said:
I'll do some research on lenders this weekend. I will probably use PLUS as well becuase of the fixed interest, although I didn't see it as an option when I quickly browsed through the THE website. :confused:

No problem... it's almost more of a nightmare than the application process and it's tougher to find help with it. At least on SDN, there is a ton of school application info. Finding good advice for fin aid that's not biased (lenders offer advice, of course) is not so simple.

Yeah, they hid it a little... on the menu bar to the left when you're in the med loans area, more than halfway down (near the end, even, if I am remembering correctly) you will see a bar that says GradPLUS or somesuch. So, they do offer it, but given that they also do their own private alt loans, it's understandable why they'd want to hide it!!

I'm saving the use of a private alternative loan for a possible over-and-above loan that won't count against my student budget to help cover additional expenses as I transition out of the working world and back into school (not that I *want* to borrow more, but it is going to be a tough year). Oh what fun... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Scalpellum said:
I would also look at the Education Maximizer Loan from Bank of America for a private loan. Go here for more information. I also am using THE as my lender for the stafford loans.

Yeah, this is what I meant by the over-and-above the student budget. This type of loan is really useful but I would try like heck not to use too much-- the origination fees and interest rate are kind of high. Of course, I'm sure I'll end up needing it at least this year, so I'll suck it up and just try not to borrow too much.

It really is such a relief to have that option, though. I was so friggin' stressed when the fin aid people talked about how all your scholarships, grants, and loans just subtract from the budget. They don't even mention loans like this (probably because it's not healthy for all students to borrow extra) so until I talked to a few students who were familiar with it, I was trying to figure out how I'd live on a measly 6k/year.

There may be other banks that offer similar types of loan-- I'm going shopping for them once I settle on a house (too scared to shop before so my mortgage people don't freak out about it!) and I'll post them here if I find others that seem comparable to the BOA one.

FDoRoML said:
I think the actual loan disbursement (when it'd show up on your credit report) is around July (when the semester bills get mailed and we have to "pay" them).

Fyi, PSU disperses twice a year: Beginning of August, beginning of January (they have exact dates, but I can't remember them). They pound that into our brains so we know how to budget....

Members don't see this ad :)
For those interested, here's an article on our new dean.

linkage

I don't think you have to register to read, but my apologies if you do...

an excerpt:

Paz has been a strong advocate for his medical students, insisting they receive a reasonable learning environment and accommodations such as a suitable place to rest when working overnight, Rimar said.

woohoo!

sf1991 said:
hey all, looking for a bit of feedback, advice, you know... my wife and i are taking a trip to harrisburg for a second look at psu. i want to get a second tour, touch base with some people, get some more info on the curriculim, etc. we are flying in on friday (into baltimore) and driving into harrisburg that evening. saturday we want to get a feel for the city, see the sights, get a feel for some housing. i think on sunday we are taking a day trip to pittsburgh (i grew up there but haven't been back since 85). and then monday my wife is meeting with a nursing recruiter at the medical center, and i will check out the school again. anyone have any feedback on what to do, where to go, who to see, etc?? anyone gonna be around the school on monday, or around harrisburg on saturday?

Alright, sorry this is getting long, but I have one more thing I have been wanting to ask you all about. One thing that has been bugging me a bit about psu was an article I read in the Penn State Medicine magazine concerning the financial state of the medical school. The article said psu ranks last in the nation in state support for the medical school. It also says they have difficulty drawing quality faculty due to budget constraints affecting salaries, and also site that it is difficult to recruit local physicians for clinical training, and that some courses need to be redesigned, but the money doesn’t exist to do it. Now, it is a magazine that I believe is circulated to the alumni and public, so I wonder how much of this is a propaganda pitch to generate money for the medical school, and how much is legitimate. Have you come across any of this before?? It just makes me wonder a bit about how much this could impact the overall education, research opportunites, increases in tuition, etc.

Sorry about the lenght, thanks so much for any input.

Jon

This is ewells (k's mom is my wife). If you get this before you go back, feel free to stop by unannounced at Apt #245 anytime; it is by the playground in University Manor East. One of us should be home, and we are full of unsolicited advice and feedback. My wife is an unofficial expert on financial aid, and we can tell you all about Hershey etc.

This invitation is open to anyone who comes to town; I finished class last week and don't know what to do with myself.

regarding computers, I swear I thought one of the speakers at Second Look day said that one advantage to buying the Dell from Penn State was that we could then include that cost in our student budget for more loans. I called today to check up on that and, well, that's not right. As long as you buy a computer after May 1, you can just submit your receipt and have your budget increased with the itemized cost of attendance form. well, hope this helps someone out there.

I have this question for current Penn State students. I've been debating whether or not I'm really going to need a car when I'm there. During the interview, I asked some of the current students and they said it's not absolutely necessary but it would be nice to have one.

I'm just trying to weigh in the cost-benefit ratio as I will have to bring my car all the way from southern California and just the costs during my stay in Hershey.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

socal1015 said:
I'm just trying to weigh in the cost-benefit ratio as I will have to bring my car all the way from southern California and just the costs during my stay in Hershey.

Any suggestions?

I think the main issue is being able to go with somebody for grocery shopping. Maybe we can set up a rideshare platform or something for our class?
Otherwise, I would recommend selling the car in california and buying a cheap car in PA. Used car prices are generally a little bit lower here.

This actually brings up an interesting question. How do students at Penn State communicate with each other (besides in person, of course)? Is there a mailing list for the class? A list with phone numbers, email addresses, IM screennames? A discussion board (same as a mailing list I guess)?

Aka, how do you get party announcements? :laugh:

Any current students care to enlighten me?

hardy said:
This actually brings up an interesting question. How do students at Penn State communicate with each other (besides in person, of course)? Is there a mailing list for the class? A list with phone numbers, email addresses, IM screennames? A discussion board (same as a mailing list I guess)?

Aka, how do you get party announcements? :laugh:

Any current students care to enlighten me?

We communicate several different ways actually. The predominant is word of mouth and pre-lecture announcements. That's where you get most of your information about parties, volunteer events, free lunch, free dinner. etc.

Some announcements would go through the listserv, but we recently got yelled at for that...

I believe they're working on a forum for our class website that will hopefully get some use. If that falls through, I'm thinking about setting up a voluntary listserv through Penn State where nobody can complain about the emails they receive because they signed up for the list. I'd suggest it be open for anything people want to send....parties, protests, complaining, etc. We'll see about that though.

I'd try to push the class forum idea on a class website if i were you. Though it's only effective if people actually use it....you run into trouble of not having the time to read message boards (except this one of course!)

Avianburner said:
I believe they're working on a forum for our class website that will hopefully get some use. If that falls through, I'm thinking about setting up a voluntary listserv through Penn State where nobody can complain about the emails they receive because they signed up for the list. I'd suggest it be open for anything people want to send....parties, protests, complaining, etc. We'll see about that though.

I'd try to push the class forum idea on a class website if i were you. Though it's only effective if people actually use it....you run into trouble of not having the time to read message boards (except this one of course!)

well, do you want to set up a class website together that can be used by current and future classes for communication? Where people can sign up and register for the listserv, opt out of certain announcements etc.? And also including a rideshare system?
Think facebook, but tailored to Penn State's medical students. I should have time to do something like that this Summer, but would of course need help from some other people to figure out what we need.

EDIT: Okay, think facebook without all the superfluous nonsense.

hardy said:
well, do you want to set up a class website together that can be used by current and future classes for communication? Where people can sign up and register for the listserv, opt out of certain announcements etc.? And also including a rideshare system?
Think facebook, but tailored to Penn State's medical students. I should have time to do something like that this Summer, but would of course need help from some other people to figure out what we need.

EDIT: Okay, think facebook without all the superfluous nonsense.

haha sounds ok to me...though i know nothing in that realm...I'll talk to our IT rep and see what he thinks about a joint 1st and 2nd year class webpage since those are the only two years that really hang out together...

Regarding the car issue, I think it's almost a necessity. There's really no public transportation to speak of in the Hershey area (It's not quite philly or NYC). During the first two years, there's a preceptorship set up with primary care physicians in the area when you occassionally have to drive out and spend an afternoon with a local doctor to practice history taking and physical exam. Plus, in third year and fourth year, most people do atleast a couple of rotations away from Hershey (Harrisburg, York, Lehigh, Reading, etc). Plus, the AHEC is a third year rotation that usually requires driving around a rural location. Things might have changed in the past 4 years, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^^ i agree with wtwei.

a car is almost a necessity for this area for anyone, not just med students. if you have the option of getting your car here, i would take it.

Does anyone know of a good website to find apartments in Hershey and environs? I'm having a bitch of a time on Craigslist..

hey keedz, try searching for apartments in hummelstown, or google "apartment hummelstown" or something like that. i don't think you'll find as much if you just search "hershey." also, the edges of harrisburg may be an option if you don't mind a little extra driving.

apartmentratings.com for hummelstown:
http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/PA-Hummelstown.html

not many positive ratings, but may be helpful.

more listings:
http://hummelstown.pennsylvania.city-guides.com/apartments.html?source=yahoosearch

whats happening ppl??? i am new here. :) i am definitely going here in the fall and i am just now starting to look for housing....i know, i know. i'm a lil late, but hey, thats life. well my question is, is it advisable to live alone or shd i be looking for a roommate? and also, shd i live on campus or off campus??? plzzzzzzzz help!!!!!!

greekdoc said:
whats happening ppl??? i am new here. :) i am definitely going here in the fall and i am just now starting to look for housing....i know, i know. i'm a lil late, but hey, thats life. well my question is, is it advisable to live alone or shd i be looking for a roommate? and also, shd i live on campus or off campus??? plzzzzzzzz help!!!!!!

Welcome GreekDoc!

I actually lived with my parents this year, and in the life of a med student, it's comparable to living alone. Farther away from the school, harder to hook up with study groups, miss a lot of social events, etc.

I would recommend living with a roommate if possible, but if you're a loner type, you'll be just fine. You just have to be a little more proactive socially and academically when you live by yourself.

I like the off campus apartments better than the kennels on campus, but the convience and community factors are big pluses of on campus.

There are several other recommendations among the thread....give them a look as well.

Good luck in your housing hunt!

Thanks Avianburner.....i will definitely look into the other comments among the thread. i hope everything works out well.

Avianburner said:
Welcome GreekDoc!

I actually lived with my parents this year, and in the life of a med student, it's comparable to living alone. Farther away from the school, harder to hook up with study groups, miss a lot of social events, etc.

I would recommend living with a roommate if possible, but if you're a loner type, you'll be just fine. You just have to be a little more proactive socially and academically when you live by yourself.

I like the off campus apartments better than the kennels on campus, but the convience and community factors are big pluses of on campus.

There are several other recommendations among the thread....give them a look as well.

Good luck in your housing hunt!

greekdoc said:
Thanks Avianburner.....i will definitely look into the other comments among the thread. i hope everything works out well.

hey everybody! good to see some new faces in here! people looking for places to live might check out pennlive.com. there are lots of rooms/houses for rent for really cheap. you might also try contacting student affairs as i think they have some sort of housing list for students renting rooms out etc.

as for students communicating, my lab works through google groups and it seems to work pretty well to get announcements out. it might be a decent starting point until we can figure out better means to do all of this. just a thought...

has anyone received financial aid info lately (other than the first wave that went out)? i'm still waiting on mine. :confused:

What do med students do for housing during their 3rd and 4th years? Do they continue to rent their apartments? What about away rotations? During away rotations do the students still pay rent at their apartment? Do med students get free housing during their away rotations? etc.

Okay, so it's official!! I've decided on Penn State!! :D . Just wanted to say 'hi' to everyone. I'm soooo excited!

Scalpellum said:
What do med students do for housing during their 3rd and 4th years? Do they continue to rent their apartments? What about away rotations? During away rotations do the students still pay rent at their apartment? Do med students get free housing during their away rotations? etc.

Most people keep their apartments during third and fourth year. Rotation sites include York, Lehigh, Lebanon, Harrisburg, Reading. There is free housing for York, Lehigh and Reading but unfortunately, the housing provided resembles college dorm rooms. Away audition rotations that you set up during fourth year do not generally come with housing, so you have to kinda make your own arrangements.

LT2 said:
has anyone received financial aid info lately (other than the first wave that went out)? i'm still waiting on mine. :confused:

Wow, you're still waiting for your initial award letter? You should have it by now... call the fin aid office and confirm which address they sent it to. Mine ended up coming to a completely different address than the one they used to send me an interview invite and my acceptance packet. Unfortunately, it was my work address and went to my PI's desk where it sat unnoticed for 2 weeks! <grrrrrr>

Point is, you ought to have it by now. Call them. You need to get the MPN signed some time this month. (OK, not that the award letter is all that exciting-- it basically tells you that you can borrow the whole cost of attendance in loans unless you one of the lucky few to get additional aid. Nope, not jaded at all. <g>)

FDoRoML said:
Wow, you're still waiting for your initial award letter? You should have it by now... call the fin aid office and confirm which address they sent it to. Mine ended up coming to a completely different address than the one they used to send me an interview invite and my acceptance packet. Unfortunately, it was my work address and went to my PI's desk where it sat unnoticed for 2 weeks! <grrrrrr>

Point is, you ought to have it by now. Call them. You need to get the MPN signed some time this month. (OK, not that the award letter is all that exciting-- it basically tells you that you can borrow the whole cost of attendance in loans unless you one of the lucky few to get additional aid. Nope, not jaded at all. <g>)

weird, i'll have to call them. all of my addresses are the same so it should have gotten to me regardless... thanks for the heads up.

Hey everyone... I have an update on my housing dilemna. Well, we went back and forth between downtown HBurg and one of the burbs. We saw houses all over the place within our price range and decided that whatever is on the market that's the best for us at the time will be what we put in a contract for (benefits and downsides to all neighborhoods and house types, so we couldn't settle on one!).

We ended up putting a contract in on a totally rehabbed rancher in Swatara (right off of 322 just before Hummelstown if you're on the way to Hershey). It's pretty convenient to HBurg and Hershey, so it should be gold once the husband settles on a job in that area.

Now we just have to hope nothing weird happens before settlement (like the appraiser thinks it's worth less than we are paying--- nooooooo!!!!). But, barring craziness, it's a relief to have that taken care of! Yay!

I just felt like sharing the good news. When I talk of my impending move around the lab, I get groans (nobody wants me to leave). Yeah, I know, pitiful of me to go to SDN for love. :laugh:

I"m sure that someone discussed this in this thread at some point but I don't want to look through all 18 pages :D , but can anyone tell me what the clinical exposure is like during the first 2 years?

keedz said:
I"m sure that someone discussed this in this thread at some point but I don't want to look through all 18 pages :D , but can anyone tell me what the clinical exposure is like during the first 2 years?

The Patient Project gives you some clinical exposure I guess.

keedz said:

The patient project is awesome, and it is technically "clinical exposure" although you are not the person's caretaker. It's more of a humanities project that has a medical theme... you don't offer medical advice or take vitals or anything. You get to know, sit and listen, follow them through some appointments, etc. The idea is to get to know what it's like to be a patient with a terminal or chronic illness... what they go through both at the doc's office AND at home.

Additionally, I have found many physicians (incl. at Hershey) willing to take on students for "shadowing." It will be at a different level than you did as a pre-med (unless you were lucky) and could get you started not only in clinical exposure but also introduce you more intimately to a particular specialty and it might even end up in a long-term relationship with the doc as an "advisor" and recommender when it comes time to apply for residency. Obviously, don't approach it that way... approach it with "I want to learn what you do as a __ physician and get relevant clinical exposure."

They are pretty happy to have tagalongs... being in academic medicine it kind of comes with the territory and most are happy to oblige a bright-eyed med student. :D

Hey are there any current med students going to be around tomorrow? I plan on coming up to Hershey just to look around again. I didn't get to attend second look and I was the only one interviewing when I went. Heck I didn't even get a tour. I don't know where anything is on campus, not even the library. I just have some questions to ask and I would like to speak to someone...

keedz said:
Hey are there any current med students going to be around tomorrow? I plan on coming up to Hershey just to look around again. I didn't get to attend second look and I was the only one interviewing when I went. Heck I didn't even get a tour. I don't know where anything is on campus, not even the library. I just have some questions to ask and I would like to speak to someone...

how sad, you were the only one on your interview day? how poopie! sorry, i always had fun meeting the other interviewees of the day...

FDoRoML - an update for my fin aid, they said i should receive my letter no later than the end of next week. i was told i am supposed to be "awarded" tonight. i wish i was being REwarded but it doesn't seem like anyone is getting anything from PSU... :( oh well.

keedz said:

I'd be glad to show you around the hospital, but unfortunately, I'm going golfing with my roommates all day tomorrow. (stressful life of a 4th year) However, if you go to student affairs or admissions and explain your situation, they can definitely find you a tour guide, there are alot of volunteers around. I am happy to answer any of your questions about the school. Just send me an email and I'll get back to you right away, I don't exactly have much on my plate nowadays. [email protected]. Good Luck.

wtwei02 said:
I'd be glad to show you around the hospital, but unfortunately, I'm going golfing with my roommates all day tomorrow. (stressful life of a 4th year) However, if you go to student affairs or admissions and explain your situation, they can definitely find you a tour guide, there are alot of volunteers around. I am happy to answer any of your questions about the school. Just send me an email and I'll get back to you right away, I don't exactly have much on my plate nowadays. [email protected]. Good Luck.

hey wtwei-- what's the best golf course (not too expensive) out in hershey? i'm definitely bringing my sticks with me when i come out there this summer!

keedz said:

actually i don't remember this topic coming up...

Patient project is the number one "clinical" exposure...but the other posters got most of it right above...

Aside from practice in clinical skills in the classroom/classmate setting, we get 4 clinical skills teaching sessions with your advisor 1st year, and 10 2nd year. What we do through them varies greatly depending on your advisor, but it's still a great place to learn. (My advisor is a neurologist....he guarantees we'll be the only 4 3rd years that actually know a full neuro exam....we'll see)

There are also a few budding programs that give you exposure....during anatomy there's ortho surgery signups. They started a "hands on" program that matches you with a clinical mentor in one of your top 3 choices (i never got around to this, so i can't help further here). There's also a semi-required meeting with a 4th year, which has been the most helpful. He had just finished classes and said he'd hang out with us in the wards as long as we felt like being there, and he'd work on whatever physical exam components we wanted to learn about.

Of course there's LOTS of docs that would love to have shadowees as well...just ask

Compared to other schools, Hershey does give a lot of clinical exposure I think, and it shows during years 3 and 4 and on step 2.

wtwei02 said:

What golf course are you going to? Spring Creek Golf Course, Hershey CC, etc? What months out of the year are the golf courses open? I will be bringing my golf clubs up to Hershey same as LT2.

I'm on my way to Cool Creek CC, It's about 40 min south of Hershey. Alot of the Hershey CC's are private, and more expensive. I believe that Cool Creek is $25 a person, and we get the new golf carts with GPS. There are also alot of public courses in York Pa.

OK, this question may or may not be able to get an answer... for current students (or soon to be classmates who might have asked this at some point)--

If you add an estimate for a computer (quote from Dell, for example) and request a cost of attendance increase, what happens if you end up not getting the computer? Do you lose that increase? Can you use it towards other things? How do they know whether or not you bought a computer (you don't have to go through them, right?)?

Thanks. ;)

FDoRoML said:
If you add an estimate for a computer (quote from Dell, for example) and request a cost of attendance increase, what happens if you end up not getting the computer? Do you lose that increase? Can you use it towards other things? How do they know whether or not you bought a computer (you don't have to go through them, right?)?

AFAIK you have to provide a receipt.

LT2 said:
FDoRoML - an update for my fin aid, they said i should receive my letter no later than the end of next week. i was told i am supposed to be "awarded" tonight. i wish i was being REwarded but it doesn't seem like anyone is getting anything from PSU... :( oh well.

Yeah, well, welcome to the wonderful world of "why should we give them free money when they're going to be rich?" Pretty stupid, I know. I wasn't expecting a lot from PSU, being OOS and stuff, but geez, throw us a bone! :laugh:

Good to hear that you'll be getting your letter soon. Did they say why you didn't have it yet? I love how they say all award letters are "mailed out by the end of April." Yeah, right. Their FinAid office scares me a little... it's a good thing to be diligent with them, I think. Hopefully it will get better for us once we are more officially students.

BTW, LT2, I had almost forgotten you were the one who started this thread. Pretty cool that you are still here. You're in Cali, right?

Anyone else moving into Briarcrest Gardens? I will be moving in around August 1st. Maybe some of us could car pool or whatever. I am going to drive my car all the way from San Diego (34 hours of driving). It would cost me about $900 to ship it and about $300 in gas to drive it myself.

Scalpellum said:
Anyone else moving into Briarcrest Gardens? I will be moving in around August 1st. Maybe some of us could car pool or whatever. I am going to drive my car all the way from San Diego (34 hours of driving). It would cost me about $900 to ship it and about $300 in gas to drive it myself.

it's only 34 hours?? I'd have guessed much longer

FDoRoML said:
BTW, LT2, I had almost forgotten you were the one who started this thread. Pretty cool that you are still here. You're in Cali, right?

yup, still here and not planning on going anywhere unless a particular school comes calling (which the chances are very slim to none)! and yes, i'm in cali. which brings me to my next point, scalpellum... i'm still trying to decide what/how the hell i'm going to get my butt out to hershey. right now it looks like i'll be driving at some point too. pretty nuts! i'll be living in a house off E. chocolate and i'm planning on moving around the end of july. it's still funny to me when i say my house is on chocolate ave. :p

From way back in the thread, re: Briarcrest Gardens.
I lived there for 2 years in a one bedroom apartment. The guy next door chain smoked weed, the old lady downstairs was found dead in her apartment, the people upstairs were exhibitionist moaners and the place smelled of peanut butter...but other than that it was fine. It is right across from the factory where they make Reese's peanut butter cups. It was very convenient to get to/from the hospital in bad weather/fatigue.

So....what are you all planning to do this summer before we start?

I myself am going to spend some time overseas. Hopefully, I can have a break and just get mentally ready to start med school.

Summer of no fun for me (but I haven't had a whole summer of since... well, let's not say. :)

I'm moving to the new house on July 1, but will be continuing my research in BMore until July 31. Need the $$$$ b/c PSU shows no love with grants or scholarships.

So I'll have a week free before orientation to just chill (translation= I will probably be continuing to unpack and organixe the new house AND probably still writing and/or revising some final pubs). I sometimes think I enjoy self-torture. I thrive on it. Hence, med school and a long residency in my future. :laugh:

I hope everyone else is doing something more fun than I am!!

Oh, hey, that brings up a question for our current PSUers (or incoming who've asked the question already)-- for Hersheypark, can we get discounted season passes? I have a feeling that I will need a good rollercoaster rush often through my time in med school. Roller coasters are my crack. ;)

socal1015 said:

I myself am going to spend some time overseas. Hopefully, I can have a break and just get mentally ready to start med school.

Working :thumbdown: , Vegas :thumbup: , explore all that I haven't yet in the NW :cool: , two week solo road trip with a few hiking/cycling excursions mixed in :), moving into a new pad in Hershey - wherever that will be :rolleyes: .

socal1015 said:

working, working, working!! with a bit of time to visit with family in palm springs and vegas before i move 3000 miles away from them! :scared: