Penn State class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
socal1015 said:
By the looks of the last year's orientation schedule, it looks like a lot of fun. I'm definitely looking forward to getting started. I hope that we can catch a good amount of the warm weather before winter moves in. It's going to be a huge adjustment (especially for us Californians). All my friends who've lived on the east coast are recommending all sorts of stuff for me to buy like thermals, waterproof boots, etc. I don't want to buy more than what I need though.

Does anyone know with regards to the laptops whether or not they can configure our laptops with all the necessary programs if we brought our own? Like others, I already have a fairly decent laptop so I really don't see a reason for me to buy another one.

don't buy much before you get here. there are the hershey and lancaster outlets nearby and you can buy plenty of winter stuff for a good price.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I know this is arbitrary... but I've been distracted with publications lately and needed a mental break. So, bumping the PSU C/O 2010 thread up to Page 1 with a reminder (which all of you probably know anyway!):

We are now in June and we have a July 1 deadline to submit all of our health forms (physical, history, immunization records, and current insurance).

I only thought of this b/c I finally got off my butt and put together all the paperwork tonight. :D

OK, back to the grind. Yeah, this (work) is how I spend my Saturday night. :(

FD

This message is for ewells or Avianburner...

I am going to be in Hershey this Friday and wondered if I could get together with either of you for the real low-down and a student view tour. I didn't make it to second look day and had a few questions and wanted to get my bearings a bit.

Please let me know if either of you might be available. The morning would work best for me, but I have all day!

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about these... I went to my doc last week and couldn't document some of the things like tetanus and chicken pox. He gave me another tetanus :( even though I had one two years ago. Oh well...

The one I am really worried about is the chicken pox... Has any (adult) had the vaccination? I hate unnecessary vaccinations and would like to avoid it, but barring that, I would just like to know how adults take to it. Last I heard, they didn't know how long the coverage was good for... etc... Just looking for some info.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that titers all come back that I am protected!

Only two more months...

jackb960 said:
I have a question about these... I went to my doc last week and couldn't document some of the things like tetanus and chicken pox. He gave me another tetanus :( even though I had one two years ago. Oh well...

The one I am really worried about is the chicken pox... Has any (adult) had the vaccination? I hate unnecessary vaccinations and would like to avoid it, but barring that, I would just like to know how adults take to it. Last I heard, they didn't know how long the coverage was good for... etc... Just looking for some info.

Only two more months...

hi jack-

just wanted to let you know i've had two doses of the varicella vaccine (as per CDC guidelines, make sure you get 2, my physician only wanted to give me 1?) and i handled it fine. i don't know how good the coverage is, i haven't had titers drawn yet. anyway, i had no adverse reaction and got the vaccination just because i had a very mild case of chicken pox that might not have been chicken pox at all. ok, enough rambling, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

on another note, i was basically offered a spot at VCU today. have to think a bit about this one. and i thought all my decision making was done... :(

jackb960 said:

Only two more months...

hopefully your titers will be positive and you won't have to get any shots! :luck:

I have not heard anything about adverse reactions to the varicella vaccination from adults, just make sure to get the titers re-checked after the shots and you'll be set.

well guys, i'm still around! i decided against VCU this morning...

i wish school was starting sooner, i'm ready to finalize everything!

Hey LT2! Glad you decided to stay. I, too, had to make that decision. Of course, I HAD to make it sooner (pre-May 15th) b/c of the whole husband needing to finalize job plans thing. I'm really happy I'm going to PSU, and I think Hershey will be a pleasant place to be for 4+ years.

Yeah, I wish things felt more finalized... still have 2 months to go before we start. Wow! But time seems to be accelerating. It will be here before you know it. :)

FDoRoML said:
Yeah, I wish things felt more finalized... still have 2 months to go before we start. Wow! But time seems to be accelerating. It will be here before you know it. :)

LOL... I am thankful for the 2 months... more time for me to get in off the WL!!! :D

LT2 said:
well guys, i'm still around! i decided against VCU this morning...

i wish school was starting sooner, i'm ready to finalize everything!

I am glad to hear that you decided to stay.

Howdy kids... I just officially withdrew from PSU and wanted to wish you all the best of luck at Penn for the next four years...

strawberryfield said:
LOL... I am thankful for the 2 months... more time for me to get in off the WL!!! :D

Hahaha... my bad. I know the time is critical for many of our beloved WLers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
:luck:

FD

Highclimber said:
Howdy kids... I just officially withdrew from PSU and wanted to wish you all the best of luck at Penn for the next four years...

Sorry to see you go Highclimber. But best of luck in...er... where are you headed?

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, now I'm just being annoying... making 3 posts in a row!

Anyone had the Tdap instead of the regular Td? If you have not and are planning on it, expect some extra soreness. The Td is usually just a little sore the next day for me... the damned Tdap hurt for over a week (and was really bad for about 2 days-- driving was interesting). Kind of weird. Acutally, it's been two or three weeks now and it's still a little sore to the touch (but I didn't even feel the needle or injection!). Anyone else have this kind of reaction? I was thinking maybe it means I really needed that pertussis booster. :laugh:

Also, I had to search out a place to get the Tdap, too. The regular medicine clinic at Hopkins didn't have it... and neither did occupational health (they only had Td). So I ended up having to go to the "travel clinic" where they have all sorts of obscure vaccines and paying $130 out of pocket. Yikes. Anyway, I think not everyone has caught up with the new CDC guidelines which are saying all tetanus boosters need to become the Tdap for persons 18+ years.

OK, I'm finished littering up our thread with random posts now. :D

FD

FDoRoML said:

Anyone had the Tdap instead of the regular Td? If you have not and are planning on it, expect some extra soreness. The Td is usually just a little sore the next day for me... the damned Tdap hurt for over a week (and was really bad for about 2 days-- driving was interesting). Kind of weird. Acutally, it's been two or three weeks now and it's still a little sore to the touch (but I didn't even feel the needle or injection!). Anyone else have this kind of reaction? I was thinking maybe it means I really needed that pertussis booster. :laugh:

Also, I had to search out a place to get the Tdap, too. The regular medicine clinic at Hopkins didn't have it... and neither did occupational health (they only had Td). So I ended up having to go to the "travel clinic" where they have all sorts of obscure vaccines and paying $130 out of pocket. Yikes. Anyway, I think not everyone has caught up with the new CDC guidelines which are saying all tetanus boosters need to become the Tdap for persons 18+ years.

FD

i didn't get the Tdap, just the Td and i sure as heck ain't goin' back for more!!! my arm was sore after just the Td.

FDoRoML said:
Hahaha... my bad. I know the time is critical for many of our beloved WLers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
:luck:

FD

awww thanks... I feel loved! :love:

FDoRoML said:

FD

yeh, i just had the Tdap yesterday, and my arm is killin' me! my lab said they don't do quantitative hep B, so i talked with the student health at psu and they said i can get it done there, no problem (just in case anyone else ran into that problem).

how are you guys (and gals) doing with financial aid? i am almost there. i think i am going with pnc bank for my stafford. i didn't see any real difference between the terms/conditions offered between PNC and THE (i have my undergrad loans consilidated with PNC). i have also been looking into the differences between private loans and the new grad plus loans (since i am one of the lucky ones who will be 200k plus in debt when this is over) and i think i am going with grad plus. pnc does these as well now. anyone choosing private loans over grad plus? love to get a dialogue going before i sign away on these. thanks all.

LT2 said:
hey guys, i'm bouncing options around for housing and i've found a house in hershey with three rooms for dirt cheap (a fraction of the price of briarcrest) and i need one roommate. the other roomie is going to be a 4th year next year and she's going to be on away rotations for all but 3 months of the year. this means 2 people for a 3 bedroom house! let me know if you're interested! laundry facilities in the house and high speed internet access available too...

hey, im new :) and i too am looking for roomates. i have a three bedroom apt and am looking for two to three first year roomates. there is a washer/dryer in unit, and it's super close to school...if you are interested, please shoot me a mail at [email protected] rent per person will vary per person depending on how many people live with us but shouldn't be more than 300 plus utilities...thanks!

Hey guys,
For those of you looking for Tdap, try an office that does immigration exams. The doctor I work for does them and so we have to carry the Tdap.
It is also a lot cheaper than $135. I'm sorry they stuck that on you FDoRoML. I had mine this week and I definitely did not have the soreness some of you had. I guess it is just luck of the draw. What aggrivates me is the fact that we have to get the titers done. I don't have insurance and bloodwork is not cheap! My buddy is going to Yale PA school and all he had to do was submit a copy of his vacc record. I see the point of the tests but it is frustrating all the same.

sf1991 said:
how are you guys (and gals) doing with financial aid? i am almost there. i think i am going with pnc bank for my stafford. i didn't see any real difference between the terms/conditions offered between PNC and THE (i have my undergrad loans consilidated with PNC). i have also been looking into the differences between private loans and the new grad plus loans (since i am one of the lucky ones who will be 200k plus in debt when this is over) and i think i am going with grad plus. pnc does these as well now. anyone choosing private loans over grad plus? love to get a dialogue going before i sign away on these. thanks all.

I've finished signing the MPNs with THE. It was easy, and the terms were good enough. I ended up choosing GRAD Plus for 2 key reasons: 1) While I have great credit and would get a very good rate on private alt loans, the rate is variable and could go as high as 18%, so I am kind of paranoid about that biting me in the @$$ later. 2) The Plus loans are able to be consolidated along with your other federal loans when the time comes... very important to consider when planning for the future.

I did hear mention that if you have loans through only one bank, you can only consolidate through that lender (as opposed to shopping around). You may or may not care about this, but it's just a thought. Of course, on the same note, I'm stuck with THE b/c I doubt Northstar is going anywhere and will start turning evil on us. It's how they dominate marketshare in student loans. It's really not too big a deal anyway since the Fed sets the rates and major terms... just consider repayment bonuses and limits for deferral/forbearance with whatever lender you choose.

I hate Fin Aid. :mad:
I know it's important and all that crap, but I just want to concentrate on learning and enjoying med school. And, yeah, I too will be part of the 200k+ club when it's all over. It's a little stressful thinking about it, but it's all for a good cause! :thumbup:

FD

FDoRoML said:

FD

Oh my Gosh...... my arm was SOOO sore and I ended up getting other flu-like symptoms (nauseous and very achy all over). I had to call my doctor to see if it was normal or if I was having some kind of a reaction. She said that it happens sometimes with this shot and to take some tylenol. I was like that for about 3-4 days, but the arm soreness persisted for almost 2 weeks. It was ridiculous!

FDoRoML said:
I've finished signing the MPNs with THE. It was easy, and the terms were good enough. I ended up choosing GRAD Plus for 2 key reasons: 1) While I have great credit and would get a very good rate on private alt loans, the rate is variable and could go as high as 18%, so I am kind of paranoid about that biting me in the @$$ later. 2) The Plus loans are able to be consolidated along with your other federal loans when the time comes... very important to consider when planning for the future.

I did hear mention that if you have loans through only one bank, you can only consolidate through that lender (as opposed to shopping around). You may or may not care about this, but it's just a thought. Of course, on the same note, I'm stuck with THE b/c I doubt Northstar is going anywhere and will start turning evil on us. It's how they dominate marketshare in student loans. It's really not too big a deal anyway since the Fed sets the rates and major terms... just consider repayment bonuses and limits for deferral/forbearance with whatever lender you choose.

I hate Fin Aid. :mad:
I know it's important and all that crap, but I just want to concentrate on learning and enjoying med school. And, yeah, I too will be part of the 200k+ club when it's all over. It's a little stressful thinking about it, but it's all for a good cause! :thumbup:

FD

I also think the T.H.E. grad plus is the best deal around, that's what I'll be going with also. :thumbup:

Do you guys know if you can do both Stafford and the T.H.E. through northstar?

strawberryfield said:
Do you guys know if you can do both Stafford and the T.H.E. through northstar?

Uhhh... you mean Stafford and Plus? Yes, I am doing both through Northstar (AKA "T.H.E." for their student loan dept). So I've technically got 3 loans through them... Staff Sub, Staff unsub, and GRAD Plus. All my eggs in one basket... :scared:

Because I've got some unexpected expenses that increased my consumer debt (loooong story, but the timing couldn't be worse), I'm planning on taking a small loan out through a bank for covering the debt so I don't have CC payments to worry about. If anyone's interested, I seem to have found 3 options but haven't explored them thoroughly to be certain they are all OK with not counting against your student budget. Bank of America's Education Maximizer will work for sure (I got confirmation from a med student who used it in their 2nd year); then there's the Sallie Mae Tuition Answer loan and the Chase Education One loan-- both of those don't need certification from your school, but just require proof of enrollment (acceptance letter, registration letter, etc), so these are probably Kosher, too. I compared terms and rates and the Sallie Mae and Chase look better, if they happen to pan out to loan over and above the student budget. Either way, it's going to be a tight year and I'll be eating a lot of noodles for lunch!! :D

FDoRoML said:
Uhhh... you mean Stafford and Plus? Yes, I am doing both through Northstar (AKA "T.H.E." for their student loan dept). So I've technically got 3 loans through them... Staff Sub, Staff unsub, and GRAD Plus. All my eggs in one basket... :scared:

Because I've got some unexpected expenses that increased my consumer debt (loooong story, but the timing couldn't be worse), I'm planning on taking a small loan out through a bank for covering the debt so I don't have CC payments to worry about. If anyone's interested, I seem to have found 3 options but haven't explored them thoroughly to be certain they are all OK with not counting against your student budget. Bank of America's Education Maximizer will work for sure (I got confirmation from a med student who used it in their 2nd year); then there's the Sallie Mae Tuition Answer loan and the Chase Education One loan-- both of those don't need certification from your school, but just require proof of enrollment (acceptance letter, registration letter, etc), so these are probably Kosher, too. I compared terms and rates and the Sallie Mae and Chase look better, if they happen to pan out to loan over and above the student budget. Either way, it's going to be a tight year and I'll be eating a lot of noodles for lunch!! :D

Yes, the PLUS is what I meant...

What is PSU's student budget this year (they only have last year's on the website)? and what is tuition this year for IS/OOS? If anyone has those numbers handy...

strawberryfield said:
Yes, the PLUS is what I meant...

What is PSU's student budget this year (they only have last year's on the website)? and what is tuition this year for IS/OOS? If anyone has those numbers handy...

I talked to someone in financial aid today..... she said that the "official" numbers for next year's tuition won't come out until July, which is why they won't certify our loans until July.

fingersxed said:
I talked to someone in financial aid today..... she said that the "official" numbers for next year's tuition won't come out until July, which is why they won't certify our loans until July.

Yeah, the Board has to vote on what this year's tuition should be based on what funding is available (BTW-- PSU gets something near the LEAST amount of state funding of any state school in the US-- why their tuition is so darned high ingeneral, and the in-state tuition isn't really very good either).

Has anyone who sent in a budget increase form (for off campus housing or laptop program, etc) actually received confirmation that Fin Aid got it and is acknowledging it? Or did you have to call to make sure? I hate to bother them, but they aren't very good at communicating (I was expecting maybe a quick confirmation email or even an updated award letter-- I know, asking way too much!). Thanks!

I have been reading this thread for some time and just like Strawberryfield I hate the wait being on the waitlist but I too will hold on til the last min. I fell in love with the school last summer when I was visiting family in PA. All of you sound like a great group of people to get to know and I hopefully I will join all of you in Aug. It is nice to know some of the detail before hand though.

swim2006 said:
I have been reading this thread for some time and just like Strawberryfield I hate the wait being on the waitlist but I too will hold on til the last min. I fell in love with the school last summer when I was visiting family in PA. All of you sound like a great group of people to get to know and I hopefully I will join all of you in Aug. It is nice to know some of the detail before hand though.

welcome and good luck! keep us posted...

Welcome Swim2006!

We hope to see you this August. :luck: to you.

FDoRoML said:
Either way, it's going to be a tight year and I'll be eating a lot of noodles for lunch!! :D

FD's been talking about those noodles for MONTHS!

You must really like em :p

Avianburner said:
FD's been talking about those noodles for MONTHS!

You must really like em :p

Hey, yeah. Throw a tablespoon of peanut butter and a shake of red pepper in them and you have a Thai-style meal of champions. :D

FDoRoML said:
Hey, yeah. Throw a tablespoon of peanut butter and a shake of red pepper in them and you have a Thai-style meal of champions. :D

mmmm that sounds good! :thumbup: I will have to try that sometime. Which flavor do you think is the best to use for that recipe? ;)

Sometimes I cut up lots of different veggies and throw peices of chicken along with spices to make a nice soup out of chicken flavored ramen. :cool:

When is everyone moving to Hershey? My fiance and I just bought a house. We settle on June 21st. I'm getting so excited to start school. Undergrad was a while ago for me so I'm a little nervous too, but happy to finally be starting down the road that will take me where I wanna go. :D

I usually used the chicken flavor for my peanut butter/ red pepper addition. That was more b/c I bought a bunch of ramen in bulk and had a lot of one flavor-- I was trying to make it more interesting. :)

As to when I'm getting to Hershey (or the HBurg area):
We settle on our house June 29th and move July 1. For the whole month of July I'm commuting back to Baltimore for work (not looking forward to that!). So I won't really feel settled in until August anyway.

Funny ramen-related story (funny in a <gasp> how awful! kind of way)--
I know someone who's kidneys failed at a young age (idiopathic) and he had a bit of a salt fetish because of the problems and treatment. Me, I pretty much don't salt anything. So, you can imagine my surprise and disbelief when he made a Cup-o-noodles and added something like 20 shakes of salt to it. Holy crap! It was like ocean water.

We are going to be moving in the first of August. Not much time to settle in, but we are going to probably take a week to move back, and do the whole cross country road trip... from Utah. We have an apartment in Alpine Heights. Anyone else living there?

FYI, the orientation schedule is available at PSU's website. Some of the documents are marked "Class of 2009" but the schedule is definitely for August 2006.

Yay! Congrats to fdoromol and fingersxed on their houses. Glad we still have LT2! And hi to Avianburner!

fingersxed said:
When is everyone moving to Hershey? My fiance and I just bought a house. We settle on June 21st. I'm getting so excited to start school. Undergrad was a while ago for me so I'm a little nervous too, but happy to finally be starting down the road that will take me where I wanna go. :D

I am driving up to Hershey on 7-30 and should get there 8-2 or 8-3. I am living in Briarcrest Gardens.

Hey everybody,

I will be attending PSU and figured I'd say hi. I am closing on a condo in the Reserve in late July. Will anybody else be living up by (or in) the Reserve or the Gardens at Hershey Meadows?

DirtyDog07 said:
Hey everybody,

I will be attending PSU and figured I'd say hi. I am closing on a condo in the Reserve in late July. Will anybody else be living up by (or in) the Reserve or the Gardens at Hershey Meadows?

Welcome DirtyDog! Look forward to meeting you during orientation week!

(If i'm not mistaken, I believe eaglesfan is living in that area?)

Yep. Welcome dirtydog (nice name!). I closed on a townhouse in the Reserve about two months ago.

DirtyDog07 said:
Hey everybody,

WELCOME DirtyDog07! Where are you coming from? See you in less than 2 months. :)

PhillyEaglesFan said:
FYI, the orientation schedule is available at PSU's website. Some of the documents are marked "Class of 2009" but the schedule is definitely for August 2006.

The Class of 2010 Orientation Information is up. Go here to see all the updated forms (Family and Friends Program Response Form, The Patient Project Information and Response Form, White Coat Ceremony Response Form, "Little's" Application Form, and Tell Us About You) and additional information for Class of 2010.

did anyone hear back from the housing department? and also is anyone lookin for a roommate (PM me)? i'm a guy

peace.

bluenebula83 said:
did anyone hear back from the housing department? and also is anyone lookin for a roommate (PM me)? i'm a guy

peace.

I still haven't heard back from Housing but maybe they know I will be living off campus. :rolleyes:

bluenebula83 said:

peace.

I'm still waiting to hear from them. Hopefully I can get a place b/c I don't want to spend time looking for one.

Scalpellum said:
The Class of 2010 Orientation Information is up. Go here to see all the updated forms (Family and Friends Program Response Form, The Patient Project Information and Response Form, White Coat Ceremony Response Form, "Little's" Application Form, and Tell Us About You) and additional information for Class of 2010.

i'm confused, this still looks like the c/o 2009 stuff? :confused:

LT2 said:
i'm confused, this still looks like the c/o 2009 stuff? :confused:

I saw C/O 2010 and I "assumed" it was for the class of 2010. Only a couple of the forms I believe is for the class of 2010 (not all of them yet). Sorry about the confusion.

Scalpellum said:
I saw C/O 2010 and I "assumed" it was for the class of 2010. Only a couple of the forms I believe is for the class of 2010 (not all of them yet). Sorry about the confusion.

no problem! i was more confused about the c/o 2010 orientation schedule... that's what i'm waiting for... ;)

Has anyone received the marticulation package that is supposed to be sent to us????