Penn State class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't gotten anything in the mail, although I've been keeping my eyes open for it. I think it's just orientation info or something... most of which will also be on the website once they finish uploading all of 2010 things to replace 2009 stuff.

Wow... I can't believe we're less than 2 months away. It hasn't thoroughly sunk in yet... we're going to be med students!! :eek:

BTW-- sorry for being so darned out of touch. PhillyEaglesFan, thanks for the congrats. Of course, it isn't over till the fat lady sings (AKA, at the closing when all the papers are signed!!) but the house should be good to go. Great thing is we got it even cheaper because our appraisal was, er, odd. Long story, but it worked out in our favor for the most part.

Members don't see this ad.

Scalpellum said:
WELCOME DirtyDog07! Where are you coming from? See you in less than 2 months. :)

Hey,
I come from Penn State (Main campus in State College), but am living near allentown right now. Looking forward to August!

hey! i am new to the forum, actually... just registered today... lol

if anyone is wondering about on-campus housing, i was just contacted by e-mail and will be living in the renovated housing... :)

since the apt is unfurnished, how is everyone going about with buying furniture?

Members don't see this ad :)
bluenebula83 said:
did anyone hear back from the housing department? and also is anyone lookin for a roommate (PM me)? i'm a guy

peace.

um, yeah! i need two roomies...i'm a chick(going to be a first year), but i don't mind living with boys. i'd prefer one boy and one girl...but, hey, im not bein picky! i have a deposit on an apartment already so if ur interested, email me at [email protected] tell anyone else that u know that's looking for roomates! thanks :)

nnc2010 said:
hey, im new :) and i too am looking for roomates. i have a three bedroom apt and am looking for two to three first year roomates. there is a washer/dryer in unit, and it's super close to school...if you are interested, please shoot me a mail at [email protected] rent per person will vary per person depending on how many people live with us but shouldn't be more than 300 plus utilities...thanks!

sorry, i meant 300 WITH utilities (approx)... and i'm a girl if that's important. i have no gender preference for roomies as long as the kithcen is clean- boy or girl! :oops:

LT2 said:
no problem! i was more confused about the c/o 2010 orientation schedule... that's what i'm waiting for... ;)

really?? I'm waiting for the c/o 2010 SOCIAL schedule!

Though I'd love to join you all in daytime orientation activities, I don't think I'll be going to them again. (Although Dr. Davis' "overview of the class" is hilarioius and if 2nd years are invited, you'll see me there as well!)

Avianburner said:
really?? I'm waiting for the c/o 2010 SOCIAL schedule!

Though I'd love to join you all in daytime orientation activities, I don't think I'll be going to them again. (Although Dr. Davis' "overview of the class" is hilarioius and if 2nd years are invited, you'll see me there as well!)

touche, i'm waiting for the social schedule too... ;)

i'm also still looking for a roomie for a 3 br house close to campus. pm me if interested, the rent is DIRT cheap.

Liya413 said:
hey! i am new to the forum, actually... just registered today... lol

if anyone is wondering about on-campus housing, i was just contacted by e-mail and will be living in the renovated housing... :)

since the apt is unfurnished, how is everyone going about with buying furniture?

Hey. Welcome to the forum. I wanted to know, when are you planning to move in? I'm still waiting for them to contact me but I'm thinking my chances might be a bit slim since I'm coming in late July early August and from their website, they said that the earlier you plan to move in, the more likely you'll get the type of place that you want.

LT2 said:
touche, i'm waiting for the social schedule too... ;)

i'm also still looking for a roomie for a 3 br house close to campus. pm me if interested, the rent is DIRT cheap.

I'll keep you in mind for sure if I get in off this darn waitlist!! ;) I have a car but would definitley want to live within walking/biking distance, and roommies would make the bills dirt cheap too! :thumbup:

good luck, strawberryfield. cute puppy!

socal1015 said:
Hey. Welcome to the forum. I wanted to know, when are you planning to move in? I'm still waiting for them to contact me but I'm thinking my chances might be a bit slim since I'm coming in late July early August and from their website, they said that the earlier you plan to move in, the more likely you'll get the type of place that you want.

i know your question was not directed at me but if it helps, i was contacted by housing and i requested a july 1 move in. i also declined so that opens one slot up...

strawberry, good luck and keep us posted!!

socal1015 said:

On the application form, I said July 1st. The housing office called me and told me that I have two choices. 1. move in at beginning of july in the old housing, which will be renovated in Feb. 2. move in at the end of july to the renovated housing. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
everyone get the orientation email?

anyone else notice they still haven't changed the dates for anything? :confused:

i guess i'm just going to fill the forms out and submit them anyway...

LT2 said:
everyone get the orientation email?

anyone else notice they still haven't changed the dates for anything? :confused:

i guess i'm just going to fill the forms out and submit them anyway...

I got the e-mail too. I think, for all the forms that need a response, those dates are correct (for entering class of 2006). The social schedule, academic calendar, and such are still outdated.

Hey how are you guys doing??? it's been a while since i came on here. Well...this post is for the international students. Did anyone else get their form I-20 yet? i just got mine today so i am guessing I am ready to roll i just need to send out the immunization information and stuff before the deadline.

greekdoc said:
Hey how are you guys doing??? it's been a while since i came on here. Well...this post is for the international students. Did anyone else get their form I-20 yet? i just got mine today so i am guessing I am ready to roll i just need to send out the immunization information and stuff before the deadline.

I am an international student too, but I haven't got my I-20 yet.... panicking now.... When did you ask your old school to release your SEVIS form?

Hey everyone, I just found this thread (where have I been?) I worked my way through the first couple of pages, and the last couple of pages. I will have plenty to read when I try to finish off the middle. Anyway, congratulations (even if it is a little late) to everyone on being accepted. I can't wait to meet everyone at HMC in August! :)

Joseph said:
Hey everyone, I just found this thread (where have I been?) I worked my way through the first couple of pages, and the last couple of pages. I will have plenty to read when I try to finish off the middle. Anyway, congratulations (even if it is a little late) to everyone on being accepted. I can't wait to meet everyone at HMC in August! :)

hey joseph, welcome to the sdn psu fam! :)

did they email anyone regarding the information on the website???

chemwiz14 said:
did they email anyone regarding the information on the website???

i don't know exactly what you're asking but if it helps; they emailed me about orientation but things (like the schedule) are still for c/o 2009. i've been submitting the forms though...

Oh really,yea I didn't get an email about orientation, I received an email a while back about marticulation materials that they would be mailing to us and an email about extended deadline for the labtops.

LT2, thanks for the welcome! I just read back in the thread a little more, and the cross country trip that you have planned sounds like it will be fun!

The Medical Spanish class sounds really cool. I wanted to take some Spanish classes during the past few years but I never was able to fit them in with my class schedules. This past semester, one of the guys who I had a lot of pre-med classes with was taking a sign language class, which really impressed me. I have family near to Hershey, and from what I understand there are quite a few Hispanic people in the area, so I think that the Spanish language courses should be really helpful.

To those that are moving to Hershey from warmer climates, you can usually get away with a really warm hooded sweatshirt or fleece jacket on most Pennsylvania winter days. I usually find that the best way to stay warm is to wear a lot of thinner layers, rather than one really heavy one (like a heavy winter coat).

Liya413 said:
I am an international student too, but I haven't got my I-20 yet.... panicking now.... When did you ask your old school to release your SEVIS form?

they released my sevis 2 weeks ago. i got the package with the I-20 and an international students brochure last friday. so it took them about a week to get that to me. dont panic though. we still got time.

greekdoc said:
they released my sevis 2 weeks ago. i got the package with the I-20 and an international students brochure last friday. so it took them about a week to get that to me. dont panic though. we still got time.

Thx! That's a load off my mind.

Joseph said:
LT2, thanks for the welcome! I just read back in the thread a little more, and the cross country trip that you have planned sounds like it will be fun!

The Medical Spanish class sounds really cool. I wanted to take some Spanish classes during the past few years but I never was able to fit them in with my class schedules. This past semester, one of the guys who I had a lot of pre-med classes with was taking a sign language class, which really impressed me. I have family near to Hershey, and from what I understand there are quite a few Hispanic people in the area, so I think that the Spanish language courses should be really helpful.

To those that are moving to Hershey from warmer climates, you can usually get away with a really warm hooded sweatshirt or fleece jacket on most Pennsylvania winter days. I usually find that the best way to stay warm is to wear a lot of thinner layers, rather than one really heavy one (like a heavy winter coat).

glad to hear there is still quite a bit of interest with the spanish classes, it sounds like we'll be able to keep the program going!

and thanks for the heads up with the warm clothing. i was kinda wondering how bad it got up there but i haven't really purchased any "winter" clothing just yet. i think i'm still in denial! :scared:

hey!! did anyone get an email about deferment of admission???? i was scared when i saw the email. i was like when the heck did i ask to defer???? I so need to be in med school this fall.

Yeah, I got it, too. Don't panic.

It's just a follow-up to the last deferrment email they sent to clarify the policies. I think they're trying to get a final picture of the class and get people planning to defer off their butts so they can pull from the waitlist.

I, too, SO need to be in med school this time around. :D

FD

Quick question - In the orientation information, a book sale was mentioned where we could pick up some of the books we will need at lower prices. Does anyone know if we have access now to a list of the books we will need for the first year so that we could maybe try to find some of them on ebay or other websites? Thanks! :rolleyes:

Joseph said:
Quick question - In the orientation information, a book sale was mentioned where we could pick up some of the books we will need at lower prices. Does anyone know if we have access now to a list of the books we will need for the first year so that we could maybe try to find some of them on ebay or other websites? Thanks! :rolleyes:

that's a good question for your "big" when you get assigned one for the rest of year. most of the later blocks don't need textbooks even though you are assigned one but that's up to you. things have changed so i'd ask your big.

but for the first block that lasts until nov....

1-Rosse, C. and P. Gaddum-Rosse, Hollingshead’s Textbook of Anatomy,
5th ed., Lippincott-Raven

2-Sadler, T.W., Langman’s Medical Embryology, 9th ed., Lippincott Williams &
Wilkins

3-Tank, P.W., Grant’s Dissector, 13th ed., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins

4-any human atlas you want...Netter or Clemente are the most popular

ok guys, i'm going to sound totally crazy for asking this in July...

for the current students:
do the teachers give exams on the day classes end -or- is attendance mandatory for the first day of the semester?

the reason i ask? i'm already planning to come home for christmas and am looking for flights home (i don't want to spend an arm and a leg!!). i realize new years day is on a monday, which i'm assuming we'd start the following tuesday. i'd probably fly back on the first day of classes and don't want to be penalized for it! thanks in advance and i hope that wasn't too neurotic for everyone... :oops:

LT2 said:

do the teachers give exams on the day classes end -or- is attendance mandatory for the first day of the semester?

the reason i ask? i'm already planning to come home for christmas and am looking for flights home (i don't want to spend an arm and a leg!!). i realize new years day is on a monday, which i'm assuming we'd start the following tuesday. i'd probably fly back on the first day of classes and don't want to be penalized for it! thanks in advance and i hope that wasn't too neurotic for everyone... :oops:

sort of depends. usually yes, you have an exam on the last day of classes prior to a break. technically there isn't too much that requires attendance, i would imagine the first day back would be ok.

you will get a schedule far in advance in order to schedule your flight, i would suggest waiting for it. there are many students who will be planning flights so they try and get your schedules as early as possible

LT2 said:

slightly neurotic....but not too neurotic...And I wish I could remember if we had an exam the last day....i wanna say we did, but they left ample time for travel before xmas......

as for the beginning of the spring, I went down to PSU's bowl game in Miami, missed Mon-Weds classes. Aside from a "mandatory" humanities session that I got out of by writing a paper (completely up to your facilitator as to your makup requirements....and he figured out where I was.....), I don't think I missed anything important. It's just a continuation of CMBMP, so there's only one orientation session and they get right into it. Aside from missing lectures, there's nothing to worry about with coming back to Hershey late.

disclaimer: I do not condone skipping lecture. Even for BCS bowl games. I cried during our 23 hour car ride because I was missing the lecture on fatty acid synthesis. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

4424 said:
that's a good question for your "big" when you get assigned one for the rest of year. most of the later blocks don't need textbooks even though you are assigned one but that's up to you. things have changed so i'd ask your big.

but for the first block that lasts until nov....

1-Rosse, C. and P. Gaddum-Rosse, Hollingshead’s Textbook of Anatomy,
5th ed., Lippincott-Raven

2-Sadler, T.W., Langman’s Medical Embryology, 9th ed., Lippincott Williams &
Wilkins

3-Tank, P.W., Grant’s Dissector, 13th ed., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins

4-any human atlas you want...Netter or Clemente are the most popular

Thanks 4424! I have been procrastinating on filling out the orientation forms (littles, etc), so now I have some incentive to finish them.

Avianburner said:
disclaimer: I do not condone skipping lecture. Even for BCS bowl games. I cried during our 23 hour car ride because I was missing the lecture on fatty acid synthesis. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But that has to be THE best reason EVER to miss lecture!!! :laugh: I :love: PSU football!!

hey guys-

i was thinking about starting a google groups for PSU class of 2010. i thought i'd ask you all what you thought of the idea. i was going to start one up and send it to mr. lubbers to forward to the rest of the class if they're interested in joining. it might expand our little family some... thoughts anyone?

LT2 said:
i was thinking about starting a google groups for PSU class of 2010. i thought i'd ask you all what you thought of the idea. i was going to start one up and send it to mr. lubbers to forward to the rest of the class if they're interested in joining. it might expand our little family some... thoughts anyone?

I am working on a website that will include a mailing list, see my earlier post a few pages ago.

hardy said:
I am working on a website that will include a mailing list, see my earlier post a few pages ago.

Just make sure you also optimize it for Netscape and IE. Firefox is more forgiving than those... and I doubt you could convert everyone in the class to Firefox (although you might want to try)! :laugh:

Where do you plan on putting it up? PSU network space?

Cool, BTW-- thanks for doing this. :thumbup:

FD

Quick question - I am getting a new cell phone today and am curious which service works well in Hershey? I currently have Verizon. Does anyone know if Verizon has good service in that part of PA? (I'm from OOS, so I have no clue!) Thanks! :)

TempusFugit said:
Quick question - I am getting a new cell phone today and am curious which service works well in Hershey? I currently have Verizon. Does anyone know if Verizon has good service in that part of PA? (I'm from OOS, so I have no clue!) Thanks! :)

Firefox rules. i just wish its pop-up blocker was a bit better. thanks hardy for working on that website.

i have verizon service too and i don't ever remember having a problem using my phone there. that being said, i've only been there for about a week altogether.

did everyone get that housing email today? was that for our class or the class of 2009?

TempusFugit said:

verizon is fine, most people i know have it

Ok. Thanks for the speedy responses! Verizon will continue to get my money then... ;)

I'm in PA, and Verizon works great for me (both in my home area and in Hershey). The only thing that bums me out about Verizon is that it is the only cell phone provider that wasn't compatible with the Grey's Anatomy Ring Tone! Of course, that was a few months ago, maybe it is compatible now.

I also got the emails today about housing (three of them). Is anyone else here going to live in the campus housing? I guess that the campus housing is referred to as the kennels? :) (I wish that there was a puppy smiley to post here)

whew, that mailing list is blowing up. i'm getting really excited; just sent out a grip of friend requests on facebook.

so don't be alarmed when you see my mug in your inbox; i think i added you LT2.

PhillyEaglesFan said:
whew, that mailing list is blowing up. i'm getting really excited; just sent out a grip of friend requests on facebook.

so don't be alarmed when you see my mug in your inbox; i think i added you LT2.

holy email!! i think we're going to have a FUN, rowdy bunch! perfect!

Philly-- i thought that was you! thanks for the heads up. i'm brand new to facebook and i still haven't really figured out how all of it works... i think bluenebula is around too...

Cingular and Verizon are good in the Hershey area. Stay away from T-mobile, it's a little more touch and go.

LT2 said:
holy email!! i think we're going to have a FUN, rowdy bunch! perfect!

Philly-- i thought that was you! thanks for the heads up. i'm brand new to facebook and i still haven't really figured out how all of it works... i think bluenebula is around too...

holler! i'm rite here..ANYONE who wants to add me on facebook, just PM me for my name, etc. :D this is sweet. so far, i think we hav a really fun class. :p

Liya413 said:
Thx! That's a load off my mind.

Hi greekdoc and Liya, is it okay if i ask if penn state requires 4 years tuition from international students before issuing a visa? Thanks

I was just wondering for those of you who are not living on campus, where are u planning on renting???? Any suggestions would be appreciated, I hope you are all having a wonderful summer and looking forward to meeting everyone, speclally at the soccer game betweey md1 and md2...

Teee said:
Hi greekdoc and Liya, is it okay if i ask if penn state requires 4 years tuition from international students before issuing a visa? Thanks

Yup, but Penn State doesn't really want the money up front like some schools do... all you need to provide is a bank statement showing you have enough money to get you through med school.

Where you from?