Penn State class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OK, maybe this is a "special" (as in, short bus special) question, but is everyone literally mailing in a picture or are any of you emailing an electronic version? I felt silly bothering the office for this question but I'd rather send it electronically-- being lazy since I just moved and haven't uncovered the printer stuff yet. :oops:

Hey... counting down... 27 days left until Orientation!! Woohoo! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Granted, I am getting ahead of myself, but does anyone know where I could get info on PSU's international programs. All the stuff I got just alludes to the opportunity of international study. I am looking to head to Brazil after M1 and so I was wondering if anyone had any info on the subject. I didn't see anything on the orientation schedule dedicated to the topic. Cheers.

astrolux said:
Granted, I am getting ahead of myself, but does anyone know where I could get info on PSU's international programs. All the stuff I got just alludes to the opportunity of international study. I am looking to head to Brazil after M1 and so I was wondering if anyone had any info on the subject. I didn't see anything on the orientation schedule dedicated to the topic. Cheers.

i'm interested in this as well but thought it a bit too early to ask. brazil sounds excellent though! i'd also love to spend some time in mexico/spain.

FD- did you get an answer on the digital pic? i'd prefer to send mine in digitally as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a general loan question. Im out of the country now and was wondering how imperative it is for me to apply for loans at THE or wherever i choose asap, or can it wait till i get back to the states (july 25th). What exactly is the timeline in the processing of the application? Thanks for any response.

astrolux said:

there's a lunch lecture a couple weeks into classes concerning travel opportunities. From what I gather, we don't have any school specific programs, but most students use some outside program (there are a good number of them throughout the country) that the keinle center funds some travel costs for.

Avianburner said:
there's a lunch lecture a couple weeks into classes concerning travel opportunities. From what I gather, we don't have any school specific programs, but most students use some outside program (there are a good number of them throughout the country) that the keinle center funds some travel costs for.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Hey guys,

I am in Europe right now so I haven't been able to post for a while. So far I have been to England, Scotland, Belgium, Holland, Gerrmany, Switzerland, Austria, Lichtenstein, and Italy. I still have Spain and France left. I get back on the 28th of July. I hope to see you guys soon.

Has anyone gotten a different degree than what was stated on AMCAS and is that a big deal?

FDoRoML said:
OK, maybe this is a "special" (as in, short bus special) question, but is everyone literally mailing in a picture or are any of you emailing an electronic version? I felt silly bothering the office for this question but I'd rather send it electronically-- being lazy since I just moved and haven't uncovered the printer stuff yet. :oops:

Hey... counting down... 27 days left until Orientation!! Woohoo! :D

I just sent an electronic copy. They haven´t rejected it yet.

FDoRoML said:

Hey... counting down... 27 days left until Orientation!! Woohoo! :D[/QUOT

First of all. . . congrats -
Now, my own special question - how in the hell do you post your own message. . . not a reply???
I've been following the discussions, but haven't posted yet.

Thanks, and see you soon

Mr. B

Mr. Blonde said:
First of all. . . congrats -
Now, my own special question - how in the hell do you post your own message. . . not a reply???
I've been following the discussions, but haven't posted yet.

Thanks, and see you soon

Mr. B

1. thanks. :)

2. Funny... use the "Post Reply" button at the BOTTOM (left side) of all the posts instead of the "Reply" button within a post.

FD

just wanted to say hello to everybody! is anyone else anxious about school starting? i'm so excited to start school but so sad to leave family and friends behind. i have a list of 5000 things i want to do before i leave and will probably accomplish 5 of them. everything seems so final now, i'm done with my jobs, my car and all my crap are on trucks headed to Hershey right now. unbelieveable! :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely have conflicting emotions. I am coming from the west coast also and it is NOT the time of year to leave. Oh well. I can't wait to start school and to meet our class but I have done next to nothing besides find a place to live. It is going to be an interesting couple of weeks. Anyone know where to buy a bed in Hershey?

For anyone that was going to send their photo electronically - I sent my picture in as an email attachment, and I got a reply saying that it had to be sent by mail.

Astrolux, if you find out where to buy a bed let me know, I will need to buy one on Monday! :eek:

There is a Sam's Club nearby. You have to buy a membership, but they have good prices on mattresses, box springs, and frames to get you started. There are mattress chains in Harrisburg that will deliver.

Hi everybody,

Here's late question. . . does anybody still need a place to live and / or a room mate?

I'm a first year guy whose living arrangement look like their falling through. . .

Thanks, see you all soon,

Mr. B

Does anyone have the list of books that first year students will use????

Greetings!!

I am a visiting professor who travels to PSU-Hershey Medical Center for a month period (August 2-September 3). Dr. Beidel, at the Dept of Psychiatry hosts this visit for me. I am interesting in a townhome or a nice apartment in the campus or in some close areas with public transportation to the campus and was wondering if it some of you could recommend me something.

Thank you in advance,

LuisJoaquin Garcia-Lopez, Ph.D.

astrolux said:
I definitely have conflicting emotions. I am coming from the west coast also and it is NOT the time of year to leave. Oh well. I can't wait to start school and to meet our class but I have done next to nothing besides find a place to live. It is going to be an interesting couple of weeks. Anyone know where to buy a bed in Hershey?

i feel your pain dude (or dudette). i live in san francisco and the weather has been exceptionally beautiful lately. i have actually been out at the beach in the sun in july (there is usually a huge fog bank over my apt this time of year). i am just taking a quick break from packing. i can't believe how much crap i have. i can't wait to get out there, just get the pain of leavin SF over with. i am so excited about starting, and so excited about meeting eveyone. my wife and i are flying out the night of the 31st, so we will have lots of time to kill the week before orientation. let me know if any of you would like to get together before we start.

sf1991 said:
i feel your pain dude (or dudette). i live in san francisco and the weather has been exceptionally beautiful lately. i have actually been out at the beach in the sun in july (there is usually a huge fog bank over my apt this time of year). i am just taking a quick break from packing. i can't believe how much crap i have. i can't wait to get out there, just get the pain of leavin SF over with. i am so excited about starting, and so excited about meeting eveyone. my wife and i are flying out the night of the 31st, so we will have lots of time to kill the week before orientation. let me know if any of you would like to get together before we start.

i'll be flying out (from san diego) on the first and will probably get to hershey the 2nd or 3rd. i'm up for something!

oh, and i sent an electronic picture in and i haven't gotten any response as to sending in a hard copy. maybe it's ok after all to send digital pics?

LT2 said:
i'll be flying out (from san diego) on the first and will probably get to hershey the 2nd or 3rd. i'm up for something!

oh, and i sent an electronic picture in and i haven't gotten any response as to sending in a hard copy. maybe it's ok after all to send digital pics?

I don't know...the lady I talked to said if I sent a jpeg, they couldn't guarantee it would make it onto the picture board. (whatever that means) That was a long time ago that i called, and I thought it was pretty dumb. Seems kind of 90's if you ask me.

LT2 said:

sounds great, let's try to work something out. oh, how formal are your guys planning on dressing for the white coat ceremony. i am thinking shirt and tie max (no suit), besides, it's probably pretty hot and humid back there this time of year.

sf1991 said:
sounds great, let's try to work something out. oh, how formal are your guys planning on dressing for the white coat ceremony. i am thinking shirt and tie max (no suit), besides, it's probably pretty hot and humid back there this time of year.

I'm with you. Plus, who needs a suit coat when you are going to be sporting a white one.

MDMAMA said:
There is a Sam's Club nearby. You have to buy a membership, but they have good prices on mattresses, box springs, and frames to get you started. There are mattress chains in Harrisburg that will deliver.

Thanks MDMAMA, I bought a Sam's Club membership and got a really nice mattress, box spring, and frame at the Sam's Club in Swatara (I think that is the name of the area where it was located). I was never in a Sam's Club before and I had no idea that they sold mattresses, furniture, etc. They also had some awesome couches, rugs, tvs, bedding; and what looked to me to be really good prices on kitchen stuff. Thanks again for the help!

Siouxsie said:
I don't know...the lady I talked to said if I sent a jpeg, they couldn't guarantee it would make it onto the picture board. (whatever that means) That was a long time ago that i called, and I thought it was pretty dumb. Seems kind of 90's if you ask me.

what a pain, i guess i'd better go get a picture printed.

Hey, Joseph. I'm glad it all worked out. Try the outlets for all your dishes, sheets, and other household goods. Some good buys on clothing, too. Jonestown Road in Harrisburg has a Target, a couple of malls. Work hard and enjoy your year.

LT2 said:
i'm interested in this as well but thought it a bit too early to ask. brazil sounds excellent though! i'd also love to spend some time in mexico/spain.

Hey.
PSU doesn't have any official international programs affiliated, but there are a few trips done by attendings that you can find your way onto. The notable ones are Ecuador (cardio surgery, I think), Honduras (ortho), and Haiti (not sure what they do there, think it's general medical stuff).

Student wise, I recruit students for a trip to Uganda every summer for the past 3 years. Hope that some of you will be interested in that - it's an amazing place. The Kienle Center (which is kind of part of our humanities department) has travel grants you can apply for to do any trip where you're serving the underserved. This is a new addition since 2 years ago and it is great. I hope this year it will again be competitive with lots of students looking to do international work and not just rot away in Hershey trying to do their required research project. I'm a fourth year and I can tell you from lots of observational experience that that is NOT the way to spend your last free summer. But most people don't listen to me...
:)

Hi Everyone!

I'm back in pseudo-action... last day of work was yesterday. So odd that I'm "unemployed." :D

I have a couple of questions--

For those of you who've requested a GradPLUS loan, is it certified yet? PSU certified my Stafford a couple of weeks ago but the PLUS is still sitting around waiting... just wondering if this means a delay in getting our living expenses. I think loans are supposed to be dispersed officially on Aug 14th (1st day of classes).

Also, and this feels like a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway(!): For the first day of orientation, what do we need to bring? Did I miss anything in the stuff they sent us or is it just a matter of "bring yourself"?? I know what you're thinking. Yes. there are some deep-rooted psychological traumas behin this one. :laugh: I remember being singled out as the only idiot who didn't remember to bring a notebook and pen on the first day back to school. It was just my way of holding on to the summer, though. Or something like that. :p

Can't wait to see everyone next week!!
FD

Hey guys. The first day of anatomy is almost here. I hope you all enjoyed orientation week. I hope to see most of you at the bar craw tonight!!

Scalpellum said:
Hey guys. The first day of anatomy is almost here. I hope you all enjoyed orientation week. I hope to see most of you at the bar craw tonight!!

omg, i'm laying in bed right now recovering, trying to motivate myself to get to the AMSA booksale...don't think it's gonna happen.

on the other hand, as painful as orientation was, i can't believe the first day is almost here! see all of you in anatomy...

LT2 said:
omg, i'm laying in bed right now recovering, trying to motivate myself to get to the AMSA booksale...don't think it's gonna happen.

on the other hand, as painful as orientation was, i can't believe the first day is almost here! see all of you in anatomy...

The bar crawl was awesome... at least the part that I can remember :D

Hey guys. The first test is finally over!! Have a great weekend guys and relax.

Just wanted to pop my head and say hello. I'm interviewing at Penn State tomorrow morning!!!

We're thinking of doing a tour of the hershey chocolate factory after the interview.