Penn State class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Philly-

happy (day late) birthday! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I sent my forms to Student Health a couple of weeks back but haven't heard anything. Did anyone else get confirmation from the office that their forms were received? Thanks

astrolux said:
Hey guys,

I sent my forms to Student Health a couple of weeks back but haven't heard anything. Did anyone else get confirmation from the office that their forms were received? Thanks

i sent mine a long time ago and didn't receive any confirmation...

Members don't see this ad :)
About a week after I sent in my health forms, I called in to check on them. They told me that they received them and that if there was any problem they would let me know. I got a call back later that day saying that I needed some additional information from my doctor. My doctor was able to fax the info. It might be a good idea to call the health office to check to make sure that everything is in order.

Has anyone here been able to get in touch with the financial aid department lately? I have been trying for about three weeks. Last week they had a message saying that they were unavailable until today (6/26). So I called twice today and got voicemail. :confused:

Thanks for the info LT2 and Joseph.

this might be totally old news, but i noticed today the orientation schedule is now officially class of 2010! woohoo!! :D

oh yeah, does anyone know when we get our psu email addresses? i think my current email address is going to expire soon so i hope we get them before that!

LT2, I had the same question a few weeks ago. I asked a current student, and she remembered getting her PSU-HMC email account sometime during the orientation week.

Inching closer to 8/7/06 ... :cool:

Joseph said:
LT2, I had the same question a few weeks ago. I asked a current student, and she remembered getting her PSU-HMC email account sometime during the orientation week.

Inching closer to 8/7/06 ... :cool:

thanks for the info! i figured we'd probably get them then...

You look familiar, LT2... I think you might just be...my roommate! :)

Siouxsie said:
You look familiar, LT2... I think you might just be...my roommate! :)

aHAHarharharrrrr, no, i'm a pirate!

sorry if this has been discussed, but has anyone received their orientation packets yet?

uscitisen said:
sorry if this has been discussed, but has anyone received their orientation packets yet?

nothing in the mail, just the online stuff (ie. orientation schedule and forms to submit). are we supposed to get something via snail mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
uscitisen said:

unless things have changed, there is nothing to receive by mail. everything is online

I'm going to move into the on campus apartments (#2) tomorrow. If anybody is around already, feel free to stop by and say hi!

Hello again to everyone. We moved on Saturday to the new house in HBurg (Swatara), so we're trying to settle in right now. Heck, we already found a problem (er, I could say "problemS" but it stems from one major issue!) with the plumbing. Hahaha... but it's all good. We're closer to work for my husband now (he commuted all of June from MD) and I'll just have to bear the commute from here to BMore for July.

It just feels good to be here... more like it's actually happening! Up until now it seemed kind of like a weird dream. :D

Oh well, I have to get back to work now. Happy 4th, everyone!!

FD

Siouxsie said:
Exactly. My roommate, the pirate. :thumbup:

Nice username. How will your pirate roomate cope with your screaming Banshees (not to mention the Creatures)? :p

Well, if that's the root of your username, it will be good to be among others who like her music. I'm a long-time fan (and, I'll show my age here-- I idolized her in the 80s).

FD

Siouxsie said:
Exactly. My roommate, the pirate. :thumbup:

:D i guess there's no hiding from you, huh? are you following the world cup? those games this weekend were crazy...

welcome back fdoroml, i was wondering where you vanished to!

LT2 said:

Thanks! I'm sure I'll do more periodic vanishing as things come up during the transition. Maybe I'll be unpacked by MS2. :D

When are you hitting the road?

FDoRoML said:
Thanks! I'm sure I'll do more periodic vanishing as things come up during the transition. Maybe I'll be unpacked by MS2. :D

When are you hitting the road?

my stuff and car will hit the road mid-late july. i will leave aug 1. :scared:

LT2 said:
my stuff and car will hit the road mid-late july. i will leave aug 1. :scared:

Yeah, it's a huge move for you! Hopefully you don't have too much stuff to move? I know when KS and CA were the only states where I had acceptances and we started pricing the move... wow! It was more than the living expenses PSU gives you every year. (OK, not that they give you much, but you know what I mean! :laugh: )

So you'll have about as much time to settle in as I will (I don't count working the whole month of July as being able to settle in-- commuting will sap whaty little energy I have).

So soon and we will all be official MS1s!!! Finally. :clap:

fodoromol,

your house is in swatara? do you live anywhere near that big WalMart on 322?

PhillyEaglesFan said:
fodoromol,

your house is in swatara? do you live anywhere near that big WalMart on 322?

Yep.... a few blocks up Mushroom Hill Rd on one of the cross streets... think the hood is called Rutherford Heights. Lucky me, right? Walmart, Wendy's, and Rita's Italian Ice so closeby. :D

Happy belated B-Day by the way!!

FDoRoML said:
Nice username. How will your pirate roomate cope with your screaming Banshees (not to mention the Creatures)? :p

Well, if that's the root of your username, it will be good to be among others who like her music. I'm a long-time fan (and, I'll show my age here-- I idolized her in the 80s).

FD

Hell yes, I love her! I am a singer, and my look and my band were very much influenced by Siouxsie and others of her ilk. I am completely crazy for 80's music, but I must confess, I was actually born in said decade- was probably an infant when most of my favorite bands were big. No matter- age is a number. Check it- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7RWb-8Izv0

Can't wait to meet you. xo

LT2 said:
:D i guess there's no hiding from you, huh? are you following the world cup? those games this weekend were crazy...

Yes, but my teams have been out for some time. As the all-time unluckiest person in the world (seriously, I never win anything) I pulled Togo and Tunisia. So that sucked. But yeah, these games have been sweet. But I think the France/Portugal thing is going to be kind of anti-climactic. Just a hunch.

I love the Italian boys though. Good players, and they're cute. You know, not that that's important...

Siouxsie said:
Hell yes, I love her! I am a singer, and my look and my band were very much influenced by Siouxsie and others of her ilk. I am completely crazy for 80's music, but I must confess, I was actually born in said decade- was probably an infant when most of my favorite bands were big. No matter- age is a number. Check it- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7RWb-8Izv0

Can't wait to meet you. xo

Awesome!

I no longer look like her (hair is not up, I'm pretty much make-up free, etc) but in my head I still do... hahaha!

Truly, age is a number... music has always made the numbers null anyway. I've got a pretty eclectic taste in music (virtually every genre you can think of) but I was totally attached to Siouxsie, The Smiths, The Cure, Mode, and Nitzer Ebb way back when... of course I was appalled when Kiss Them For Me went top-40 (<gasp>) but the cool thing is she never sold out her style and continues to do the Creatures project with her husband. More than I can say for Mode. :p

Anyway, it will be cool to have someone else actually know what I'm talking about when I reference that music-- looking forward to meeting you, too! :thumbup:

FD

Siouxsie said:
Yes, but my teams have been out for some time. As the all-time unluckiest person in the world (seriously, I never win anything) I pulled Togo and Tunisia. So that sucked. But yeah, these games have been sweet. But I think the France/Portugal thing is going to be kind of anti-climactic. Just a hunch.

I love the Italian boys though. Good players, and they're cute. You know, not that that's important...

portugal/france is actually turing out to be not so bad. and as far as the italians, the only thing that bothers me is their flair for the dramatic (on the field). we're going to have an unlucky household as i am quite unlucky meself.

FD- yeah, it's a hell of a move and i hope everything gets there ok because i won't have much time to resolve issues before school starts.

Siouxsie said:

I have to chime in here... I think the Italian players are the cutest also! :love:

Does anyone know which banks are in Hershey? I do all my business through Wells Fargo right now, but there aren't any branches in the area. I want to be able to open an account at a bank before I get there so that I can get cash.

The JockDoc said:
Does anyone know which banks are in Hershey? I do all my business through Wells Fargo right now, but there aren't any branches in the area. I want to be able to open an account at a bank before I get there so that I can get cash.

PNCBank is probably the best in the area. They have ATMs all over the East coast and a branch right next to the hospital.

This might be a dumb question... On the T.H.E. website, when I log in, it still says both of my loan applications are "in progress." I did my MPN and everything. Is this normal, you think? There is also still no amount listed, either. Again, I am sure this is a silly question, but I am financial aid stupid.

thanks!

Siouxsie said:
This might be a dumb question... On the T.H.E. website, when I log in, it still says both of my loan applications are "in progress." I did my MPN and everything. Is this normal, you think? There is also still no amount listed, either. Again, I am sure this is a silly question, but I am financial aid stupid.

thanks!

I actually called the other day with the same question and was told that it is totally normal. The woman said that "in progress" meant that I had been approved on their end and that they were waiting for Penn State's financial aid department to complete the necessary steps. I hope that helps.

astrolux said:
I actually called the other day with the same question and was told that it is totally normal. The woman said that "in progress" meant that I had been approved on their end and that they were waiting for Penn State's financial aid department to complete the necessary steps. I hope that helps.

It does, thank you! I guess I could have called myself- sorry. I just have these nightmares about moving to Hershey and then finding out I didn't get my loans or something...

Does anybody know where we are supposed to mail our official transcripts to? I neglected to do so and now I can't find the paper that mentions the address that we were supposed to mail it to. I found this on the website, is this the correct address?

Office of Medical Student Affairs, H060
Penn State College of Medicine
500 University Drive, P.O. Box 850
Hershey, PA 17033

thanks guys

eviljafar said:
Does anybody know where we are supposed to mail our official transcripts to? I neglected to do so and now I can't find the paper that mentions the address that we were supposed to mail it to. I found this on the website, is this the correct address?

Office of Medical Student Affairs, H060
Penn State College of Medicine
500 University Drive, P.O. Box 850
Hershey, PA 17033

thanks guys

That's where I sent mine and they got 'em.

Anybody who talked with Fin Aid happen to ask about disbursement dates for the Grad PLUS? Some schools, it turns out, aren't disbursing funds until October-- which means some interesting budgeting on the Stafford after they take out tuition... or borrowing from another source.

Anyway, if nobody's heard yet, I may try to call them Monday. If I find out anything I'll let you know.

I didn't ask, but I signed up for Grad Plus as well and so I would appreciate hearing what they tell you. I am not too enthusiastic about calling that office. Sorry I couldn't help.

Since the schedule on the website is last year, I asked for the new one. Thought I would share...

2006-2007 Academic Calendar: First Year

2006 Registration Dates: Semester Begins August 14
Semester Ends December 15

Orientation August 7 - 11

Labor Day September 4

Physical Examinations Saturdays by September/October
Appointment

Fall Convocation All Students September 15, 4 p.m.
Hospital Auditorium

Thanksgiving Break November 23-24

Winter Break December 18-29

2007 Registration Dates: Semester Begins January 3
Semester Ends May 11

Academic Progress Committee Meeting-Year 1 January

Spring Break/Preceptorship Alternating Weeks for March 5-9 or
Each ½ of the Class of 2009 March 12-16

Research Symposium All Students April

Commencement: Class of 2007 May 20

Summer Break May 14-August 10

Memorial Day (Observed) May 28

Academic Progress Committee Meeting-Year 1 May

Classes Begin for Fall Semester August 13

This calendar is subject to change without advanced notice.

Here's another question I wasn't going to ask the student affairs office...

What are you all (male and female) going to wear during orientation? Seems like classes are casual, but what about orientation?

jackb960 said:
Here's another question I wasn't going to ask the student affairs office...

What are you all (male and female) going to wear during orientation? Seems like classes are casual, but what about orientation?

Orientation is also casual...(if it wasn't, i didn't notice...) They make sure you're aware of when you have to dress up. One caveat is that you get your ID pictures taken on your first day I believe. I think I wore a tshirt and it didn't show up at all in the photo (they cut it pretty high...all you can see is the collar of the white coat) On our composite, most guys collars will show, but most lady necklines don't show. Just a note for how you want your ID to look...

Just so nobody stresses about what I posted earlier regarding later than expected disbursement dates for Grad PLUS at some schools... PSU disburses all loans in August.
:)

Hey everyone, quick question about id photos. If id photos are taken during orientation, then what is done with the wallet size photo that we have to send in by July 21? Does the photo we send in just go in our file? :confused:

I called and asked about that photo thing (because I am vain, and needed to decide how good the picture should be), and they told me it is not for an ID. It is for a picture board that the second years make- they leave it in the hall so that Faculty and older students can get used to seeing our faces, and so that they can learn our names. She said it doesn't have to be any particular background or type of photo, but it has to be wallet-sized.

We will take our ID pictures during orientation. Hope this helps!

Thanks Siouxsie! That helps, I made an appointment to get my pic taken because I thought it was for the ID badge. Now I don't have to worry about it so much!

Where does it say that we have to submit a wallet size picture by july 21???

LT2 said:
they also told us in the email that was sent out awhile ago... so candids are ok?

They told me candids are definitely ok. I prefer to send a candid anyway, bc I never look like myself in passport pics.

LT2 said:
they also told us in the email that was sent out awhile ago... so candids are ok?

I remember a couple poster boards with pictures and quotes from our incoming class. I think they (we?) take quotes from your orientation materials along with the picture you sent in as the first look at the incoming class. Therefore, I would encourage candids!