PCSOM Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Buster,

I would like the schedule if you have the time and dont mind sending it to me.

[email protected]

Thanks again Buster. I appreciate everything you tell us and help us with.

Aaron

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, guys.

I've got an interview with Pikeville coming up. Do any of you have any tips on what to expect at the interview?

I really hope I get in!!

skb21,

Congratulations on the interview!!! I bet you are excited. So you want some advice on the interview. I will see if I can give you some details. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

1. You are to arrive at PCSOM around 8:00 a.m. They will have you and the other interviewees sign in and mingle. After that, Dr. Payson introduces himself and a few other faculty members and then shows you a slide show on PCSOM and the Pike County area. This lasts approximately 35 minutes or so.

2. A group of students at PCSOM volunteer to have a question / answer session. They asked the professors to leave the room at this time so that we would feel comfortable asking questions about the curriculum and school. At the same time this is occurring, they will be taking several students at a time for their interviews.

3. The interview session consists of 2 to 3 professors/faculty/physicians to every student. They have several groups of interviews going at the same time. The interview lasts approximately 30 to 40 minutes, mine was about 40. They ask general questions during this time. BE prepared to be asked an ethics question. They are very big on ethic questions, however, dont panic. They just want to see how you repsond.

4. After the interview, you return to the room where you watched the video presentations and talk with professors, students, Mrs. Hamilton, etc. This was the most productive and friendly interview that I have ever been on. After several people have interviewed, the students take you on a tour of the school, which lasts approximately 45 minutes.

All in all, the entire process lasted about 2.5 hours. It was very enjoyable and low stress. The started the day by saying that most of the people that they interview WILL be offered a spot. He said that they were interviewing us because we had something to offer them that they really were interested in and that we needed to be ourselves during the process and NOT TO WORRY.

This is a great school and I think that it is severely underrated. The students, faculty, and admissions staff are extremely helpful and very friendly.

Oh, they usually let you know in about 3 to 4 days if they have offered you a spot in the class.

I wish you all the luck in the world and look forward to having you as a classmate. Feel free to PM me with any more questions. Sorry for the long post.

Aaron

Members don't see this ad :)
Aaron,

I was very excited about getting the interview. When I got the letter, I immediately started calling my friends to tell them I got the interview.

Thank you for the tips.

-Keith

skb21,

Just relax and be yourself. The interview is more conversational than anything else.

Have any of you guys thought much about what you want to specialize in?

I work in surgery, so I think I want to do something surgically related. When I first decided that I wanted to be a doctor, I wanted to go into ortho. After working some ortho cases in the O.R., I like it but don't know if that's what I want to go into anymore. I like general and ob/gyn as well.

My thinking is that I would like to do surgery without losing the practical aspects of medicine.

I should have added that ENT is something I'm strongly considering since it is somewhat of a primary care surgical subspeciality. I'd get to operate and treat patients for the long term. There seems to be a good balance of OR work and clinic work. I don't know much about the call ENT's have to take.

Have any of you guys thought much about what you want to specialize in?

skb21,

I have given this question a lot of thought. I took a speciality aptitude survey, and it said that I would be best suited for Pediatrics, hematology, dermatology and radiation oncology. Half of these I promised I would never do, hahhaha.

Anyway, Internal medicine and family practice are very appealing to me, but I have also considered emergency medicine. Like you, I have also thought about ortho, but that is fading pretty quick. I guess that I will find out what I like during our year 3 and 4 rotations. See you soon,

Aaron

skb21,

I've thought about Pathology, Radiology, and IM. But I haven't really decided yet. I think that I will wait until we actually get into clinicals to make up my mind.

Originally posted by Aaron Earles
Wow, this thread is starting to get very large. YEAH PCSOM!!!!!

Yeah it is starting to get big. We need to make sure that it doesn't fall off of the page though.

To Current PCSOM Students:

Right now I'm trying to decide whether I should quit my job or go down to PRN status. I'm currently looking at just working like one weekend a month and during our breaks from school. My question is: how feasible is this to do? Is there anyone that you know who has done this? Thanks in advance for the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who would be the best person to talk to at PCSOM if I am thinking of applying this summer?

DrLiver,

I think that Mr. Payson, the Associate dean for Student Services, would be a good contact for you. He is one of the main presenters on interview day. He is also very helpful and enthusiastic about the school.
http://medweb.pc.edu/staff/spayson/

I think that Angel Hamilton, Secretary at PCSOM, is also very helpful. She is very, very nice as well. One thing that I think you will notice is that everyone at PCSOM is very helpful and tries to accomodate everyone. If you would like any more info, just let me know. Good luck to you

Aaron

I was sitting in my apartment and a thought just came to me. I wonder if the embalming fluid used in anatomy class will aggrevate my asthma. I remember going into the lab during my interview and wheezing some. I hope that I will be ok in lab. I might end of having to be resusitated.

:laugh: :laugh:

Hope everyone is well.

Aaron

Aaron,

Lucky for you! I'm ACLS and BLS certified.:laugh:

Lucky for you! I'm ACLS and BLS certified

skb21, what a coincidence, I am BLS and ACLS certified, but please, dont defibrillate me unless I really, really need it. When i was getting my certificaiton this summer, One of the dudes in Marshall's med school class forgot to yell clear, and lit me up like a christmas tree.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OK.

I'll just pop you with some vasopressin, since it is longer acting than epi.;)

I took ACLS at the hospital I work at. I don't need it for what I do, but I took it for my own personal knowledge.

I work as a surgical technician at the hospital, so I get a lot of hands on experience. I've been told that Gross Anatomy will frustrate me because I'm used to seeing things bleed and in color.

I work as a surgical technician at the hospital, so I get a lot of hands on experience. I've been told that Gross Anatomy will frustrate me because I'm used to seeing things bleed and in color.

That really sounds like an interesting job. I am a clinical exercise physiologist working in Cardiac Rehabilitation at Cabell Huntington Hospital. I had to have ACLS and BLS training for my field. I like anatomy, but I am really concerned about my asthma acting up. I was in the lab for like 2 minutes in december at my interview and i had to take a puff on my inhaler. That stuff really irritates my respiratory tract. i just hope I dont have an asthma attack. That would be embarrasing.

I know that once we start school, we wont have much free time. But, i am sooooo excited about getting to start. i am really looking forward to meeting all you guys. It will be a great experience for me. I enjoy camaraderie among my classmates and I think that PCSOM encourages that type of environment. Anyway, talk with you soon buddy,

Aaron

Yeah.

I hope I get in so I will have the opportunity to meet some of you.

Hey Aaron, the OPP will help you with the Asthma so take it easy bro! I just PMed you too!

I was sitting in my apartment and a thought just came to me. I wonder if the embalming fluid used in anatomy class will aggrevate my asthma. I remember going into the lab during my interview and wheezing some. I hope that I will be ok in lab. I might end of having to be resusitated.

Aaron,

Maybe you could try wearing a gas mask in the anatomy lab. They tried that in "Gross Anatomy". I don't know how well it would work though.

hey guys... it''s been a long time since i've had the chance to get on the messageboard! i have been searching for an apartment and i have talked to two people (landlords) so far. as of right now i plan on living alone but does anyone know of any other GIRL med school students that are interested in having a roomate? i know that it's probably better to live alone, but i was thinking about living expenses... it's always much cheaper to get a roomate -- you can usually find better two bedroom apartments (and pay less) than you can one bedrooms. so.... any advice or suggestions?

Hey Everyone,

I talked with Teresa in Financial aid today to ask her a couple of things. She told me that the budget for 2004-2005 school year was $46,470.

I wanted to let you know. I think that she is preparing to mail the budgets out soon. See you all soon.

Aaron

Lola,

I only know one of the girls that is going to PCSOM. Her name is Misty. She uses SDN sometimes. You could ask her. Her username is Mistyblue.

It is good to hear from you again. See you soon.

Aaron

thanks!

I'm hoping that maybe another girl who will be going to PCSOM (and is looking for a roomate) may see this... if you, or anyone does talk to someone in the future who is also considering the roomate option, then you can tell them that I am also looking for one!

Ok, I also am a Medic and an ALS provider. In fact it is my full time job right now. Any other Medics out there?

In my 7 years in rescue people often ask me, "Wow, you're a Paramedic, do you save lives all day?" I usually reply, "No, mostly I interfere with natural selection." Sadly, this is lost on most people....

Eric.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lucky for you! I'm ACLS and BLS certified
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

skb21, what a coincidence, I am BLS and ACLS certified, but please, dont defibrillate me unless I really, really need it. When i was getting my certificaiton this summer, One of the dudes in Marshall's med school class forgot to yell clear, and lit me up like a christmas tree.

Originally posted by eadysx
Ok, I also am a Medic and an ALS provider. In fact it is my full time job right now. Any other Medics out there?

In my 7 years in rescue people often ask me, "Wow, you're a Paramedic, do you save lives all day?" I usually reply, "No, mostly I interfere with natural selection." Sadly, this is lost on most people....

Hey Eric,

I am not a medic, but work in a similar field. I work in Cardiac Rehabilitation, which is why I am ACLS and BLS certified.

I like your quote about natural selection. haha

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Aaron

Originally posted by eadysx

Eric.

:laugh: . It is so true, but it is still funny.

Hey guys.

I saw the beginning of a great case today. It was a hand assisted laprascopic nephrectomy. Pretty cool. They used a hand port where they could do the laprascope while also using their hand to assist. I saw the case to the point where the surgeon disected out the right colon, from the hepatic flexure down to the cecum. Then, the call crew came in, and I didn't get to see the exposed kidney once they got into the retroperitoneal space.

This is a very cool job I have. Yesterday, I got to scrub in on a subchondral intra-medullary nail to fix a fractured distal femur.

skb21,

You have an awesome job! The most invasive procedure that I am involved in is taking someone's blood sugar with a glucometer. I get to read a lot of ECGs though. I guess that is pretty cool. Take care.

Aaron

Aaron,

I have to say that this job is the best anatomy class I've ever had. A D.O. at the hospital I work at did the same thing I do before he entered WVSOM. He told me that I will find gross anatomy somewhat frustrating because I'm used to seeing everything in color and bleeding, whereas in gross, everything is grey with no blood. It should be interesting, but I feel pretty good about being able to identify the structures in gross with the exception of thoracic structures and cranial structures. We don't do any thoracic or neuro surgery at this rural hospital. Heck, we've only had an orthopod for five years and got a urologist less than a year ago.

skb21,

I am sure that you will do fine in anatomy. I think it will be very interesting too, I am just worried about my asthma acting up. I think i will be fine though. Many people have told me that if you can make it by the first semester, that you should do fine. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I do try really hard. Man, I cant wait to meet everyone. One of the most attractive things at PCSOM was the comaraderie of the students.

Keep in touch.

Aaron

wow your job sounds awesome.... i am taking medical terminology so as i was reading your post i was trying to identify everything you said! you've definantly got a head start on the anantomy... the only anantomy that i've had thus far is my anatomy lecture course which is an undergrad, regional anatomy course - gross is gonna probably be overwhelming for me (i am prepared to work my butt off though!)

although i don't have any cool jobs, while i volunteered at the labor and delivery unit at a local hospital here, i got to see many vaginal births and ce-sects... i absolutely loved it! i can't wait to learn obstetrics!!

i just wanna know how did you get such a cool job??? lol

Well, I got my degree in Biochemistry and didn't want to use it right away. I had worked as a part time pharmacy tech at this hospital, so I talked to the director of surgery about letting me work in surgery. She let me, and I've been working there for almost two years now.

skb21,

Thats awesome! I have to admit, I like working in my hospital. For the most part, it is pretty cool. I think that my work experience in the hospital setting really helped me get accepted this year. Anyway, hope you have a good weekend. I have my little bro's wedding to attend, so I will have some fun. Take care everyone.

Aaron

Hi guys,

Since we are talking about work, I just got home from working between 14 or 15 hour day (I normally work 8.5 days). I really have to say that there wasn't a good reason for me to come in early today though. There just wasn't that much to do. For those of you who don't know, I usually work in the blood bank of my local hospital. The day did get more interesting/ busier once evening shift got there though.

Aaron,
I hope you have fun at your bro's wedding this weekend. I will be going down to Cincy to visit relatives.

Willie B,

Thanks a lot bro! I LOVE CINCY!!!!!! Can I go with you? Just kidding. I used to go every summer, but have not been in about two years. Cincy is a great town. I want to see the REDS play in their new stadium. Have fun.

Aaron

Aaron,

I must admit. My trip isn't exactly of a personal nature. I have an interview with U of Cincy on Monday morning. But, I think my chances of being accepted are very slim at this school because I 'm out of state. The visiting with relatives is just a bonus.

Hey Willie,

Good luck to you bro! I applied there about two years ago and didnt even get an interview. That is a great place. My family physician did his internal medicine residency in University of Cincy. HE loved it. I wish you luck buddy. Be careful and take care.

Aaron

To Current PCSOM Students,

I have a question. I know about the 10 Core Sites that PCSOM has for their clinical rotations. My question is, Do you have to complete a rotation at EACH of those core sites, or do you have a set number of sites that you must visit? I was looking at the AOPTIC page on PCSOM webpage and those hospitals look very good, but I was thinking about doing a couple of electives outside of the core sites, if I will be permitted to.

Thanks everyone, will talk to you soon.

Aaron

Willie,

How did your interview go? I hope it went well.

Aaron

Aaron,

The interview went better than the last time that I interviewed there. Unfortunately they told us when we got there, that we were more or less just interviewing for a waitlist position.:(

Originally posted by Willie B
Aaron,

The interview went better than the last time that I interviewed there. Unfortunately they told us when we got there, that we were more or less just interviewing for a waitlist position.:(

Hey Willie,

I have been down that road a couple of times too. I am sure that you have a great chance to get in. Keep your head up and let me know if you need anything. Good luck bro.

Aaron

To Current PCSOM Students,

I have a question. I know about the 10 Core Sites that PCSOM has for their clinical rotations. My question is, Do you have to complete a rotation at EACH of those core sites, or do you have a set number of sites that you must visit? I was looking at the AOPTIC page on PCSOM webpage and those hospitals look very good, but I was thinking about doing a couple of electives outside of the core sites, if I will be permitted to.

Thanks everyone, will talk to you soon.

Aaron

No, you don't have to rotate at all ten sites. During the later part of your second year, you will be assigned to a core site where you'll do most of your required rotations. I believe there is a lottery process, where you list your top 3 choices. During your 4th yr, you do have opportunities to do "away rotations" for your electives. I hope this helped.

Sunnydayz
PCSOM class of 2007

Originally posted by sunnydayz
No, you don't have to rotate at all ten sites. During the later part of your second year, you will be assigned to a core site where you'll do most of your required rotations. I believe there is a lottery process, where you list your top 3 choices. During your 4th yr, you do have opportunities to do "away rotations" for your electives. I hope this helped.

Sunnydayz
PCSOM class of 2007

I heard that PCSOM might be adding a few more rotation sites in North Carolina. If this is so, will they create a new core rotation site?

Thanks,

Aaron

I've noticed that Gulfport, MS, is one of the core sites. I'm from Mississippi, so I wouldn't mind being able to do most of my third year rotations in Gulfport.

Hey Willie,

I have been down that road a couple of times too. I am sure that you have a great chance to get in. Keep your head up and let me know if you need anything. Good luck bro.

Aaron

Aaron,

Thanks. But honestly, I'm not really that upset about it. I mean, even if I don't get in at UC, I will still be attending a wonderful school at PCSOM. It is like I told my interviewer, that I was very fortunate to get accepted at my #2 choice (Pikeville is only #2 because of the fact that most of my family lives in Cincy and it would be very woderful if I could go and be closer to them)

Originally posted by Willie B
Aaron,

Thanks. But honestly, I'm not really that upset about it. I mean, even if I don't get in at UC, I will still be attending a wonderful school at PCSOM. It is like I told my interviewer, that I was very fortunate to get accepted at my #2 choice (Pikeville is only #2 because of the fact that most of my family lives in Cincy and it would be very woderful if I could go and be closer to them)

Willie,

I am glad to hear that you are not worrying about it. My family physician did his internal medicine residency at UC and loved it there too. He came back to WV to practice though to be closer to his wife's family.

Funny thing is, I didnt think I even had a chance at PCSOM, but when I interviewed there, I absolutely loved the school and atmosphere. I was very lucky this time, not only did I get in one school, but into two so far. Anyway, If Cincy is your first choice, I hope that you get to go. See you later bro.

Aaron