PCOM class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FYI

Institutional scholarships can show up at any time during the academic year, esp during the first and second term. So don't be surprise if you don't get any scholarships now, but in the fall term receive a letter from financial aid saying you have been awarded the ABC scholarship for $xxx. The financial aid letter right now will mostly reflect what government loans (stafford, perkins, etc) you have been awarded. Remember, I said the scholarship letter can arrive at any time, so some soon-to-be-MS1 might have received their scholarship letters already. To be eligible for some of these scholarships, you have to fill out the parent section of FAFSA and submit the proper documentation to the financial aid office.

And throughout the year, you will receive emails about outside scholarships that you may/may not qualify for.

For now, don't worry about books, or studying to get a head start, etc. Just find a place, settle in, find the hot spots to hang out ... and relax. You can always get books from the library, purchase from an upperclassman, purchase online, etc.

If you have any questions, give me a PM. I'm a 4th year right now (class of 2007). I may not respond as quickly as I should but eventually I will respond.

Congratulations on making it this far. Now buckle up, put the seats in their up-right position, tray tables up ... you're going to have a bumpy, sometimes hard, sometimes hilarious ...at times insane ... fun time ahead of you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey does anyone have the link for the 2006 PCOM Match? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am actually trying to apply into PCOM and other osteo. schools also. PCOM is my first choice and I wanted to know if I'd be able to get in. I just got my scores from APRIL 2006, 24R: 8V - 7P - 9B which is horrible but ...eh. Anyways, my premedical committee said I had a really solid profile: alot of experience including working for a DO for a year now, volunteering, etc. I also have a 3.8 GPA at my school (not sure how it works for AACOM since I failed a class and retook it and got an A). sorry for the long post but I am really upset about my mcat scores. What do you guys think? Do I have a chance at an interview and admission?!!??! THanks a BUNCH

Tiffany

mzztiffany said:
Hello,

I am actually trying to apply into PCOM and other osteo. schools also. PCOM is my first choice and I wanted to know if I'd be able to get in. I just got my scores from APRIL 2006, 24R: 8V - 7P - 9B which is horrible but ...eh. Anyways, my premedical committee said I had a really solid profile: alot of experience including working for a DO for a year now, volunteering, etc. I also have a 3.8 GPA at my school (not sure how it works for AACOM since I failed a class and retook it and got an A). sorry for the long post but I am really upset about my mcat scores. What do you guys think? Do I have a chance at an interview and admission?!!??! THanks a BUNCH

Tiffany

Who Knows. Just apply and find out. :thumbup:

mzztiffany said:
Hello,

Tiffany

I would definately give it a shot. Just get a strong letter of rec from your DO that you're shadowing. See you in 2011!

I am coming down to Philly tonight. Anyone have any ideas about where I should look for apartments? I am so lost being from NY. I want to live in Manayunk but it seems that they rent out houses and thats it. I have looked all over the place on craigslist.com and all. Help would be appreciated!

USArmyDoc said:
I am coming down to Philly tonight. Anyone have any ideas about where I should look for apartments? I am so lost being from NY. I want to live in Manayunk but it seems that they rent out houses and thats it. I have looked all over the place on craigslist.com and all. Help would be appreciated!

Homie

Look at wynfield, right next to school, opposite direction to Manayunk, I saw at least two rental buildings, best wishes! :thumbup:

USArmyDoc said:

I live outside Manayunk in an Apartment complex. 300 Paker Ave. (Parker Place Apartments). I think it's a good area. Less than 2 miles from Main Street in a sort of neighborhood.

*$750 / 1br - Manayunk near Ivy Ridge Train Station
Parker Place Apartments 1BR apartment. Each apartment includes nice kitchen, complete with a dishwasher, wall to wall carpeting and central air. Washer and dryer in building. Rent includes heat and hot water. Free Parking available. $750+Electric. Rent now and second month’s rent is FREE! E-mail Adam and Jason at [email protected] or call them at (267) 467-9701. Or you can go hardwood floors with balcony for $825.

I don't know if that helps. I am from Ohio so I was just as lost as you, and I needed an apartment pretty quick so I could start my internship.

Dancing Doctor said:
I live outside Manayunk in an Apartment complex. 300 Paker Ave. (Parker Place Apartments). I think it's a good area. Less than 2 miles from Main Street in a sort of neighborhood.

Parker Place Apartments 1BR apartment. Each apartment includes nice kitchen, complete with a dishwasher, wall to wall carpeting and central air. Washer and dryer in building. Rent includes heat and hot water. Free Parking available. $750+Electric. Rent now and second month’s rent is FREE! E-mail Adam and Jason at [email protected] or call them at (267) 467-9701. Or you can go hardwood floors with balcony for $825.

I don't know if that helps. I am from Ohio so I was just as lost as you, and I needed an apartment pretty quick so I could start my internship.

Do they allow dogs?

For those of you that will be taking out private loans, when are you planning to apply for them? Or maybe the current students could tell us when students generally apply for them. Should we wait until Sept. after the institutional awards are made? Finally, could you recommend any lenders? Thanks!

Does anyone know of the name or reputation of other apt complexes close to the school? If the school's parking lot is full, what are the options for parking around PCOM? I remember there being a side lot...I called the school and they said I couldn't get a permit there, just pay each day. I dunno - I just want to make sure that is an accurate picture of what parking is like at the school.

Thanks

Dancing Doctor said:

Members don't see this ad :)
The monument avenue lot is always avalable it never fills up with student permits.

As for loans look at www.collegelenderlist.com for the best ones. NEVER pay a fee. I would apply for them in July. You can apply for them whenever but this will make sure that you will get part of them witht he first disbursement in august.

kmdo said:
Does anyone know of the name or reputation of other apt complexes close to the school? If the school's parking lot is full, what are the options for parking around PCOM? I remember there being a side lot...I called the school and they said I couldn't get a permit there, just pay each day. I dunno - I just want to make sure that is an accurate picture of what parking is like at the school.

Thanks

I know that Presidential Apts is nearby, but I heard from someone living there she has mice/rats and bad maitnence, so I didn't even go near. I think Imperial Towers is nearby, as well as Greenbriar. I don't know much about those, there were none avalible when I called. Searching online or calling around is really your best bet. I know there are people talking about this also on myspace in the PCOM class of 2010 and in the housing forum/DO Class of 2010 forum on the PCOM nucleus site.

When I asked about parking they said it was never an issue. I got a permit for Monument Lot ($120) that allows me to park in the garage 5 PM-7 AM.

Anyone know why they have the old health insurance files up. I want to fill our an insurance waiver, but the waiver is for the 2005/2006 school year. Plus, I want to get my physical done with. Where the heck are these documents?

I am SOOOO confused about the private loan situation. I know everyone gets the $38,500 and I know some can be covered by institutional loans and the rest by private loans. How do you know which private loans are the best? Any help would be great.

USArmyDoc said:
Anyone know why they have the old health insurance files up. I want to fill our an insurance waiver, but the waiver is for the 2005/2006 school year. Plus, I want to get my physical done with. Where the heck are these documents?

I am SOOOO confused about the private loan situation. I know everyone gets the $38,500 and I know some can be covered by institutional loans and the rest by private loans. How do you know which private loans are the best? Any help would be great.

I'm pretty sure the insurance waiver for the 2006/2007 school year is posted at the end of June (the current one is dated June 30th, 2005). As for the physical form, go to the DO Class of 2010 group page and click on files, which is on the left-hand side of the page...I think the form for the physical is called "medical questionnare" or something similar.

kmdo said:

Thanks

I just graduated from Temple U dental school this year and I lived in the Roxborough/East Falls section of Philly. For those of you not familiar with the area, its about a 10-15 minute drive to PCOM and a two minute drive to Manayunk...Anyway, now that i am finished, I would like to offer the following....
I have a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment for rent. Newly renovated kitchen with new appliances, dishwasher, new bathrooms, large living room, dining room, hardwood floors. Access to swimming pool, parking for two vehicles in a secured gated lot. ALL UTILITIES INCLUDED basic cable too, will leave apartment partly furnished-3 piece leather sofa, coffee table, dining room table with chairs and a large desk...email me at [email protected]
Mark

Marg06 said:
I'm pretty sure the insurance waiver for the 2006/2007 school year is posted at the end of June (the current one is dated June 30th, 2005). As for the physical form, go to the DO Class of 2010 group page and click on files, which is on the left-hand side of the page...I think the form for the physical is called "medical questionnare" or something similar.

Thanks!! I was going crazy looking for that thing!

USArmyDoc said:
Thanks!! I was going crazy looking for that thing!

bump....where are all the PCOMers??

Dancing Doctor said:
I'm here. And living in Philly.

Its flooded like crazy down there right? I see a pic of main street Manayunk flooded on msnbc.com. Makes me rethink my living area, but it looks like everywhere is flooded.

Has anyone else from the class of 2010 still not received their financial aid letter? Should I be worried that I haven't gotten mine yet?

Marg06 said:
Has anyone else from the class of 2010 still not received their financial aid letter? Should I be worried that I haven't gotten mine yet?

I have received anything yet either.

Marg06 said:

Nothing here either

I wouldn't worry about not getting the letters. Everyone gets the government money. If you didn't qualify for it you wouldn't even be worrying about finacial aid. All the letter says is you are getting x amoutn from the government. If you have a problem with this amount send it back.

medhacker said:
Yo yo!

What up?

YOOO...whats up bro?

I hope you are doing alright in NJ with all that flooding.

medhacker said:
Nothing here either

Medhacker...you and I will get along IF politics don't come up. Nice avatar!!! :thumbdown:

I would close it too but I would get rid of those POS's in various fashions. :D

USArmyDoc said:
Its flooded like crazy down there right? I see a pic of main street Manayunk flooded on msnbc.com. Makes me rethink my living area, but it looks like everywhere is flooded.

it did flood, but i am up the hill from main street, so i don't have a problem. it does make driving quite problematic-half the roads were closed yesterday! it took me about an hour to drive 15 miles to work and a lot of places closed because of the water. there seems to be a lot of roads in this area that are low enough that when the river rises...they are washed away. INCLUDING areas of the turnpike (esp. ft. washington area). it was a mess.

Marg06 said:

mine is on my nucleus finacial aid web page, but i did not recieve a written letter from the government. check and see if yours is up on there if you're curious.

Dancing Doctor said:
mine is on my nucleus finacial aid web page, but i did not recieve a written letter from the government. check and see if yours is up on there if you're curious.

I checked and mine is posted on nucleus too...thanks for letting me know!

I got mine in the mail today... Has anyone decided on a lender for private loans? Am I thinking along the wrong lines when I say that the fixed interest rate from the Graduate Plus loan (Wachovia, in particular--reduces to 7.9%) is looking pretty good when rates are doing nothing but going up (see July 1st increase)? Any insight would be really appreciated because all of this crap is making me want to drink lots of beer (not that there's much wrong with that...)

hibby

USArmyDoc said:
Medhacker...you and I will get along IF politics don't come up. Nice avatar!!! :thumbdown:

I would close it too but I would get rid of those POS's in various fashions. :D

come on homes, there are more important things than politics :thumbup:

BTW our basic FA award is indeed in nucleus now :(

Hello!

I'm trying to organize a bone marrow typing drive (which is an opportunity to become part of the National Marrow Registry) for all Philadelphia medical students of the class of 2010. If you are interested in becoming part of the Registry, or if you are interested in helping organize the drive (which we are planning to do during the week of orientation) please check out this link:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=294554

Does anyone know of any place close to PCOM or associated to PCOM (or not associated to PCOM LOL) that would give us poor medical students physicals for little money? I know other schools have some option of this sort was wondering if PCOM had it too. If no one knows here I will try the regular osteopathic forum. Thanks.

Guys,

I sent in my transcripts directly from the school. I didnt attach anything at all and in fact wish I put in a letter stating my purpose of sending them. Will it work out this way? Did I need to send it with a special paper saying what they are for? I have to say the nucleus is pretty tough to navigate and sometimes does not give great instructions...Thanks

USArmyDoc said:
Guys,

I sent in my transcripts directly from the school. I didnt attach anything at all and in fact wish I put in a letter stating my purpose of sending them. Will it work out this way? Did I need to send it with a special paper saying what they are for? I have to say the nucleus is pretty tough to navigate and sometimes does not give great instructions...Thanks

Brother, I sent them the same way, were we supposed to use special paperwork? :confused:

don't worry they are smart enough to figure out why they are recieving your transcripts. There is no special paperwork required

medhacker said:
Brother, I sent them the same way, were we supposed to use special paperwork? :confused:

Received your PM's....I don't think there is any special paperwork but I wanted to make sure of it myself.

Cool

I got yours too, thanks

JonnyG are they really?... LOL just kidding, thanks

Where did you find financial aid on nucleus?

Courtney3 said:
Where did you find financial aid on nucleus?

Hi Courtney

You go into Nucleus then click on Resources then Administrative Services (Banner), then Click here to access Banner PCOM Web services. and there you'll find it :)

I haven't received an award letter in the mail and my financial info isn't on NUCLEUS either... :( I called the financial aid office and they said that they're still working on first year students' financial aid stuff.

Is anyone else in the same boat? No letter by mail and nothing on nucleus?? :confused:

sweetz83 said:
I haven't received an award letter in the mail and my financial info isn't on NUCLEUS either... :( I called the financial aid office and they said that they're still working on first year students' financial aid stuff.

Is anyone else in the same boat? No letter by mail and nothing on nucleus?? :confused:
just figure that you're gonna get the max that you asked for....I wouldn't worry about it....the first disembursement was a little after classes last year if my beer-soaked memory serves me correctly

I received my letter in the mail, but I still cannot find it on nucleus. But I called the financial aid office earlier this week to confirm my numbers. Only a few more weeks....

Courtney3 said:
I received my letter in the mail, but I still cannot find it on nucleus. But I called the financial aid office earlier this week to confirm my numbers. Only a few more weeks....
I got my letter yesterday. It doesn't say anything I didn't expect. And as long as you want the money, you don't do anything.

If possible, can someone PM the 2006 match list or where to find it? Thanks:)

... just wanted to let anyone who didn't know that on Nucleus some "practice?" quizes are up for reference anatomy points and terminology. You gotta log into the blackboard. Dr. Kriebel has put up some information. Hope everyone is enjoying summer, I'll be partially moving down starting this weekend at Greenbriar. So if anyone has any get together plans or needs help moving themselves in let me know.

Kev

KMMD said:
... just wanted to let anyone who didn't know that on Nucleus some "practice?" quizes are up for reference anatomy points and terminology. You gotta log into the blackboard. Dr. Kriebel has put up some information. Hope everyone is enjoying summer, I'll be partially moving down starting this weekend at Greenbriar. So if anyone has any get together plans or needs help moving themselves in let me know.

Kev

Yea, I was looking at that information. I took two semesters of anatomy before so those terms are rather easy, but I do not like the way the sagittal and coronal plane are explained.