PCOM class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JonnyG said:
Supposedly your class is restoring the tradition of the class being >60% female. My class was the first in a long while to be 50/50.

:D :thumbup: :love:

Members don't see this ad.

JonnyG said:
Supposedly your class is restoring the tradition of the class being >60% female. My class was the first in a long while to be 50/50.

I thought there were a lot of females at the accepted students brunch. :thumbdown: :(

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Credit Cards, Parents, parents, parents, parents, and working your butt off at a job that pays near to nothing. :thumbup:

I wish. I am the oldest of four children from Ohio... I paid my way through my undergraduate and now I am just trying to figure out what I am going to do when I cannot work 35-40 hours/week during school. I guess that's what loans are for. :0)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dancing Doctor said:
I wish. I am the oldest of four children from Ohio... I paid my way through my undergraduate and now I am just trying to figure out what I am going to do when I cannot work 35-40 hours/week during school. I guess that's what loans are for. :0)

Don't worry you could always come over my apartment to get a couple free meals. I make a mean Turkey spaghetti. :laugh:

MmmmMM :love:

Hey did anyone call PCOM today about the Background check. I totally forgot :cool:

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Don't worry you could always come over my apartment to get a couple free meals. I make a mean Turkey spaghetti. :laugh:

MmmmMM :love:

Sounds good to me! Haha, when I was apartment hunting my mom actually said, "Well I may not be able to buy you a house, but we will make sure you have food"...so the running joke in my family is that I am living in a box and trading food for blankets...

Is anyone going to the Finacial Aid stuff on June 9th? I don't really want to take a day off work, but of course if you call they will tell you it's very important you listen to their speakers from out of town.... I will go if it's something new and interesting, that will actually help me. But I know I can't go into the military and I am interviewing the week after for the national Health Service Corps Scholarship. Other than that...I am not sure how much I need to be there to hear. Anyone with an opinion? :confused:

JonnyG said:
Parents: They laughed at the notion. Good bless Loans.

Job: With what time, work study just takes away from your private loans. It doesn't give you more money. It is easier just to take the private loans, study more and land the good residency which gives the higher paying job which allows you to pay off the loans faster.

My parents laughed at me as well. Do you have a work-study job? How do you know if you are eligible for one?

I am not so much into getting tons of money out. I want to work in rural underserved (and I am currently interviewing for NHSC) but I would like to avoid the private loans if possible....

Dancing Doctor said:
Is anyone going to the Finacial Aid stuff on June 9th? I don't really want to take a day off work, but of course if you call they will tell you it's very important you listen to their speakers from out of town.... I will go if it's something new and interesting, that will actually help me. But I know I can't go into the military and I am interviewing the week after for the national Health Service Corps Scholarship. Other than that...I am not sure how much I need to be there to hear. Anyone with an opinion? :confused:

See if you can get them to give you the power point. It will tell you the budget and that is all you need. Once you have the budget you can apply for the private loans. budget minus 38500 fromt he government. Its kind of pointless to go:
Topics:
Health insurance: you need it, don't got it, buy our plan.
Military: Thanks, alot of docs from this school have save my soldiers. (it was touching to hear). Your school sends the most docs to military outside of the military med school. <this is repeated 3 times>
Finacial Aid: Fill out your fasfa. We have scholarships but thy are need based. <parents then ask questions, yes people bring their parents (wish mine would pay)> Then about 40 questions about the efc which unless you are a millionaire (i kid you not) you will get all the government loans.

Seriously don't take off of work early. I only went because i was flying out to chicago that night for a wedding and already had the day off. You need the money more then hearing a pointless presentation.

JonnyG said:
See if you can get them to give you the power point. It will tell you the budget and that is all you need. Once you have the budget you can apply for the private loans. budget minus 38500 fromt he government. Its kind of pointless to go:
Topics:
Health insurance: you need it, don't got it, buy our plan.
Military: Thanks, alot of docs from this school have save my soldiers. (it was touching to hear). Your school sends the most docs to military outside of the military med school. <this is repeated 3 times>
Finacial Aid: Fill out your fasfa. We have scholarships but thy are need based. <parents then ask questions, yes people bring their parents (wish mine would pay)> Then about 40 questions about the efc which unless you are a millionaire (i kid you not) you will get all the government loans.

Seriously don't take off of work early. I only went because i was flying out to chicago that night for a wedding and already had the day off. You need the money more then hearing a pointless presentation.

Haha, thanks so much for the reply. I feel better now! I work in the area, so I'd only be missing about 4 hours of work, but even so, that quite a bit of money. :) Thanks!

..I just wanted to let everyone know, I recieved my award letter saturday 6/3 in the mail. Officially $38,500 already :( . Check ur boxes guys...

KMMD said:
..I just wanted to let everyone know, I recieved my award letter saturday 6/3 in the mail. Officially $38,500 already :( . Check ur boxes guys...

38500 is the amount they gave you or the tuition? I hope I will receive it by monday because I live in Maryland.

KMMD said:

Ouch. Looks like im' taking out lots of loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone see their FA info on web-banner at nucleus? :confused:

medhacker said:
Can anyone see their FA info on web-banner at nucleus? :confused:

My financial status page was blank. :thumbdown:

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
My financial status page was blank. :thumbdown:

ok, I guess I will await my letter too , thanks :)

Goped said:
38500 is the amount they gave you or the tuition? I hope I will receive it by monday because I live in Maryland.

I hope I get mine soon too. I keep trying to change my address to my new one, and I finally mailed a paper copy, but they are still sending all of my forms to my school, who then forwards them to me. *sigh* if you all are moving and you know where, I would update them ASAP. They take forever to do it! grrr.... :thumbdown:

Hey you guys it looks like we have to use the company PCOM gave us for our background check. They said the company does a very indepth search and it is mandatory that we go through them.

:mad: :thumbdown:

newbie04 said:
I received my letter last Wednesday and the 38,500 is Federal loan money (that everyone gets, unless some people don't need loans :eek: ). I think tuition is $34,XXX--I haven't seen the final number yet. Financial aid told me that disbursement for loan money happens the first or second week of school.

Since some of you guys already received your award letter, can the people who have recieved their letters tell me if they are are incoming students or current students because today when I called the financial office, they told me that the financial aid for first year students is not done yet and it will be done by the end of this month.

Goped said:
Since some of you guys already received your award letter, can the people who have recieved their letters tell me if they are are incoming students or current students because today when I called the financial office, they told me that the financial aid for first year students is not done yet and it will be done by the end of this month.
Guys I wouldn't worry about the amount you're going to get.....Its rare if someone doesn't get the full 38500 federal.....

Has anyone else from the class of 2k10 not received the award letter?

medhacker said:

Yea that is bothering me. I havent received a thing. I'm hoping i'll get something in the mail tomorrow.

Hey newbie, what do you mean by finalize your financial aid- did you have to sign some forms or did you have to apply for more loans other than the ones given on the award letter? If unable to attend the FA workshop on friday, do you recommend going into the office directly as you did? (did you have to make an appt?)

Also, how much was parking and do you know if it was getting full (is this something students should do right away???) And where do you get the pass and your ID from??

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Yea that is bothering me. I havent received a thing. I'm hoping i'll get something in the mail tomorrow.

I am hoping I get something as well. However, I just recieved my information on the background check late last week, so I am sure it will take forever to get to me. Again I say to everyone- If you know where you are living and want your mail there, you need to change the address ASAP. They take FOREVER to process it. :thumbdown:

newbie04 said:
By the way, the cost of attendance for our first year is: $58,683. This is the MAX amount of loans that you can take out.

This sounds about right.

I would suggest taking out the max your first year and then budgeting as best you can.

newbie04 said:
Hey DOtonijay,

Parking Structure: $300 per year (you can pay $100 each trimester)
Lot across from the school: $120 per year

They also had limited access permits (from 5pm to sometime the next morning, etc.).

If you're checking your email you know, but the lot ($300 option) is full. They said the chances of it becoming avalible for next year is basically zero. You can still opt to get into the grage at 3 (for $180) or you can get the lot ($120) but you can still use the garage after 5 and on weekends.

The garage pretty much fills up with 2nd year students. But again, after 5pm your ID card will allow you in..

A common practice for students staying late on campus to study is to go get food around 5 then park in the garage when they get back so that they dont have to walk to the lot later at night

Hey Guys,
I'm wondering what people are doing for health insurance, epescially vision coverage for those who need it. I know the insurance offered through PCOM doesn't cover vision, so for those current students who need it, what do you have?? Thanks!

Hibby417 said:
Hey Guys,
I'm wondering what people are doing for health insurance, epescially vision coverage for those who need it. I know the insurance offered through PCOM doesn't cover vision, so for those current students who need it, what do you have?? Thanks!

I know that I personally am just going to do without it. I will pay out of pocket for an eye exam before matriculation, and hope to the high heavens that the items I have will last me the next few years (ugh...) I am not really sure what else you can do. I have never heard of anyone selling eye insurance on its own.... :(

Have you tried AFLAC for total coverage. They vision, dental, and medical coverage

doctorjoy said:
Have you tried AFLAC for total coverage. They vision, dental, and medical coverage

They will increase your loanlimit for things like this but they will make you pay for it first and then submit the reciept to them.

Could someone please help me out with the financial aid process. I submitted my FAFSA to PCOM and so far have heard nothing back from them. I am worried I screwed up. Thanks!

Also, anyone have any suggestions for living in manayunk? I have a dog so that they must allow dogs.

USArmyDoc said:
Could someone please help me out with the financial aid process. I submitted my FAFSA to PCOM and so far have heard nothing back from them. I am worried I screwed up. Thanks!

Hey ArmyDoc I would call the finain office and verify that they recieved all of your paperwork. They are very helpful.

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Hey ArmyDoc I would call the finain office and verify that they recieved all of your paperwork. They are very helpful.

Will do! Any info on apartments?

medhacker said:

I have not received my award letter either. I am waiting until friday and then I am calling them.

HI EVERYONE!!! I am new to this sdn thing

CaTaLysT DO said:
I have not received my award letter either. I am waiting until friday and then I am calling them.

HI EVERYONE!!! I am new to this sdn thing

I havn't received anything either. I am going to send out an email tonight and follow up with a call on Friday if they don't respond.

medhacker said:

I still did not receive anything from them yet. I called and they said they received all the paper works from me already . do you guys think that they probably do the paper works in order of acceptance, that is if you got accepted early you will receive your financial early as well. I got accepted around February

Goped said:
I still did not receive anything from them yet. I called and they said they received all the paper works from me already . do you guys think that they probably do the paper works in order of acceptance, that is if you got accepted early you will receive your financial early as well. I got accepted around February

I was wondering the same thing I got accepted around that date too and have received nothing. Nonetheless, in their latest email they say institutional money (Scholarships, grants and what not) will not be announced/given/etc until august :(

medhacker said:
I was wondering the same thing I got accepted around that date too and have received nothing. Nonetheless, in their latest email they say institutional money (Scholarships, grants and what not) will not be announced/given/etc until august :(

i went in and chatted with them. the letter we are getting just says how much you get from the government. unless your parents are really, really independently wealthy (and if they are, please introduce me) you should get everything. the other money-anything awarded by PCOM-will not be in that package. there will be ANOTHER package with that information in July or August. as long as your information is in, i don't think i would worry too much.

Dancing Doctor said:
i went in and chatted with them. the letter we are getting just says how much you get from the government. unless your parents are really, really independently wealthy (and if they are, please introduce me) you should get everything. the other money-anything awarded by PCOM-will not be in that package. there will be ANOTHER package with that information in July or August. as long as your information is in, i don't think i would worry too much.

Good to know...Thanks!

USArmyDoc said:
Will do! Any info on apartments?

Oh yea bro. I live in Philly already. I have an apartment near St. Joes University in a converted home. When you move up here send me a message.

If anyone is in the Philly area. This friday...June 16th a good amount of other Class of 2010ers are going to South Street for Margaritas and Coronas during Happy Hour (6-9 pm-ish). If you have any questions, get on Myspace and post them in the PCOM DO class of 2010 forum. There are appoximately 43 other students up there.

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Oh yea bro. I live in Philly already. I have an apartment near St. Joes University in a converted home. When you move up here send me a message.

If anyone is in the Philly area. This friday...June 16th a good amount of other Class of 2010ers are going to South Street for Margaritas and Coronas during Happy Hour (6-9 pm-ish). If you have any questions, get on Myspace and post them in the PCOM DO class of 2010 forum. There are appoximately 43 other students up there.

Well, I am going to be visiting there soon and finding a damn apartment. I want to live in Manayunk. It seems like a cool place to live. Anyone have ANY advice on places, areas, etc at all? Manayunk is cool but it may not be the right place.

Does anyone have websites that I could look at for apartment rentals?

newyorkcougar said:
Congrats on getting into PCOM! I am a first year (2009) and I love it. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer.

By the way, I couldn't log into Nucleus until like a couple of days before school started. Don't worry...there is nothing that interesting on there...just stuff like access to your class scribe notes (which you won't have until you start classes).

good luck

Hi -
I just started my SDN account, so right now I can only do text replies...I was wondering if you or anyone can tell me a list of books which will be needed for the first year? Reading is one of the best ways I learn, so I wanted to shop around for good prices.

Also, is there some place I can find out what my first year is like (ie - what classes and times to expect)?

Thanks!

USArmyDoc said:
Does anyone have websites that I could look at for apartment rentals?

You can go to nucleus and sign up for the housing group. There will be a link tab which wil show you some good apartment rentals search website. If you want a better deal, you can go to craiglist.com or something like that (google it if that is not correct) to find people who are current looking for roommates. Good luck with finding one.

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Oh yea bro. I live in Philly already. I have an apartment near St. Joes University in a converted home.

i live in an apartment complex in roxborough. it's not a bad place to live. about 7 miles for mthe school, it takes about 15-20 minutes to get there during rush hour.

kmdo said:
Hi -
I just started my SDN account, so right now I can only do text replies...I was wondering if you or anyone can tell me a list of books which will be needed for the first year? Reading is one of the best ways I learn, so I wanted to shop around for good prices.

Also, is there some place I can find out what my first year is like (ie - what classes and times to expect)?

Thanks!

I would not buy books until you actually our in class and see if you will need them. I have many of the books and have never opened them. You can survive on scribe notes and for things like atlases you should see them first in lab (other people) and find the one you like.

Classes are generally in the morning. Omm pre-lab is 1-2 on mondays. Omm lab is once a week with alternating times of 2-330 or 330-5. You are either assigned to the monday or tuesday rotation depending on your last name. Exams for the major classes are every three weeks. Omm praticals are every month or so with a written exam at the end of the term. ~two standardized patients for PCS every term.

None of the class times matter if you end up not going to class.