PCOM class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
USArmyDoc said:
Yea, I was looking at that information. I took two semesters of anatomy before so those terms are rather easy, but I do not like the way the sagittal and coronal plane are explained.
dont worry about the grade/score on that online stuff...it doesnt count for anything....but it may be a good idea to make sure you're familiar w/ basic anatomic plane and direction terms (ie coronal/sagital/medal/superior/infer-lateral (sp?)....etc etc) it sounds stupid but being able to use those terms w/o hesitation will make the first few days of anatomy go a little smoother in my opinion......learning/studying anything beyond that is just wasting good drinking time...

Members don't see this ad.

the majority of the class is on the same playing field on day one so don't worry about it. As Taus says dont overdo the studying. You may learn soemhting wrong and have to spend a good deal of anatomy unlearning some of the stuff.

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the items we are required to have for the Primary Care (Sphygmomanometer, Otoscope and Opthalmoscope specifically) as far as buying them through Welsh Allyn at the bookstore, or if I can purchase these items cheaper elsewhere. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
JonnyG said:
the majority of the class is on the same playing field on day one so don't worry about it. As Taus says dont overdo the studying. You may learn soemhting wrong and have to spend a good deal of anatomy unlearning some of the stuff.

Yea...I figured that.

Yo....Orientation sounds like its going to suckkkkkk.....Any 09er's have advice?

Doesn't really matter cause you are hungover from the night before's activities, so you go and fall asleep.

It really isn't that bad because it gives you an oppurtunity to meet lots of people in your class

JonnyG said:
Doesn't really matter cause you are hungover from the night before's activities, so you go and fall asleep.

It really isn't that bad because it gives you an oppurtunity to meet lots of people in your class

HAHA....Any advice for us non-drinkers???

Dancing Doctor said:
I was wondering if anyone had any information on the items we are required to have for the Primary Care (Sphygmomanometer, Otoscope and Opthalmoscope specifically) as far as buying them through Welsh Allyn at the bookstore, or if I can purchase these items cheaper elsewhere. Thanks!

You can definitely buy that stuff for cheaper! Last year, I purchased a Welch Allyn pocket kit on eBay for significantly less money. It was brand new and included an otoscope, ophthalmoscope, and several reusable covers for the otoscope. The thing I love about it is that it's smaller than the ones sold through school (so it really does fit in the pocket of your white coat), and uses AA batteries (so you don't have the charge the handle). Another option: a friend of mine has her uncle's old diagnostic kit. If you have any family members who are in the medical profession, ask around and see if they have any equipment.

The blood pressure cuff can be purchased at any medical supply store. Just make sure it's a real sphygmomanometer (with a needle-gauge), not an electronic one.

Good luck! See you in a few weeks.

USArmyDoc said:
Yo....Orientation sounds like its going to suckkkkkk.....Any 09er's have advice?
And the pre-orienatation that they didn't warn us about? I am supposed to be in Ohio that whole week. I called them, and they made it sound like I am being totally unreasonable. :mad: Now I am waiting on a call back to see if I need to drive 6+ hours for a photo.

Karine04 said:
You can definitely buy that stuff for cheaper! Last year, I purchased a Welch Allyn pocket kit on eBay for significantly less money. It was brand new and included an otoscope, ophthalmoscope, and several reusable covers for the otoscope. The thing I love about it is that it's smaller than the ones sold through school (so it really does fit in the pocket of your white coat), and uses AA batteries (so you don't have the charge the handle). Another option: a friend of mine has her uncle's old diagnostic kit. If you have any family members who are in the medical profession, ask around and see if they have any equipment.

The blood pressure cuff can be purchased at any medical supply store. Just make sure it's a real sphygmomanometer (with a needle-gauge), not an electronic one.

Good luck! See you in a few weeks.

Thanks for the advice. Though I don't have any relatives in medicine I was looking on ebay. I just wanted to make sure that was okay before I ran with it. Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your dilemma Dancing Doctor

Hey, anyone heard from their big sis/bro yet? mine is cool! :cool:

Although a lot of people do party, don't get the wrong impression and think that every goes out drinking every week. My friends usually just go out after tests. I know some people go out 2-3 nights a week, however, that is not the majority. No matter what your social/alcohol position is, there is stuff to do for you in Philadelphia, just like everywhere else there are also non-ETOH activities if you’re not into the drinking scene every week. Although some people do, I just don't want people to think that is what the entire class does every night.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, what is with this pre-orientation. I already have my ID done along with parking etc. Is it definitely mandatory or do they just say that?

USArmyDoc said:
Yea, what is with this pre-orientation. I already have my ID done along with parking etc. Is it definitely mandatory or do they just say that?

I bet they just say mandatory to scare people into coming. I'm not going to be there. (I already did the orientation thing since I took the Biochem summer course) More drinking time for me.

pre-orientation is just another chance for you to meet people. I think people were still getting their pictures taken in September.

JonnyG said:
pre-orientation is just another chance for you to meet people. I think people were still getting their pictures taken in September.

I really don't want to make a day trip to Philly to just meet people. I'll have plenty of time to do that during orientation. I don't know what to do because I have everything done and don't want to sit in an apartment for 5 days prior orientation.

Word is next year they are going to have pre-pre-orientation. When I went through this process a few years ago you really only needed to be there for pictures and ID day. The rest of orientation you really could have skipped and no one would have noticed you were missing.

Also, I have received NO Financial AID information from PCOM. When will I receive it?!?

USArmyDoc said:
Also, I have received NO Financial AID information from PCOM. When will I receive it?!?

How is it going brother?

I have not received anything from FA either, except what one can read at nucleus - but am beginning to get concerned since they said the tuition bill is on the way and must be paid by a not too far date...I mean :confused:

Don't worry. I receive bills from PCOM all the time. As long as your financial aid package is complete eveything will be OK. The checks don't get sent to PCOM until August. I think it was the 2nd day of orientation I got a check for the balance. Enjoy your summer. First year sucks ass, specifically the first 2 trimesters. 2nd year gets better. 3rd and 4th year rock.

I welcome all PM for questions.

medhacker said:
How is it going brother?

I have not received anything from FA either, except what one can read at nucleus - but am beginning to get concerned since they said the tuition bill is on the way and must be paid by a not too far date...I mean :confused:

Mine says I have unsatisfied requirements but I have sent everything in and did all the financial aid info at the financial aid office at PCOM. Therefore, I don't see where I could be going wrong. I'll shoot them an email.

USArmyDoc said:
Mine says I have unsatisfied requirements but I have sent everything in and did all the financial aid info at the financial aid information at PCOM. Therefore, I don't see where I could be going wrong. I'll shoot them an email.
dude....call and get it straightened out

Taus said:
dude....call and get it straightened out

Will do.....I'll take care of it tomorrow. Thanks man....Is it possible to get screwed out of going to school because of this?! :scared:

USArmyDoc said:
Will do.....I'll take care of it tomorrow. Thanks man....Is it possible to get screwed out of going to school because of this?! :scared:

No way G

I was there this morning, the FA office seems a bit overwhelmend but they seem to be conscious that we have not been adequately informed yet on our FA status, etc but they are working on it. Give them a call :thumbup:

USArmyDoc said:

My finacial aid got scewed up last year and they didnt get it till into September. They don't really care since they know they will get the money.

JonnyG said:
My finacial aid got scewed up last year and they didnt get it till into September. They don't really care since they know they will get the money.

Good to know...Thanks

Update: Just spoke to the Fin. Aid office, everything is received for me....PHEWWWWWW...Thought I was a dead man. :laugh: :laugh:

Speaking of financial aid... What's everyone doing for private loans? Anyone using the Grad Plus? I'm really struggling trying to figure this out. Is all the money you borrow for the year given to you at once, or is it a monthly disbursement, or what? 2nd-3rd year people, any advice? Thanks...

USArmyDoc said:
Good to know...Thanks

Update: Just spoke to the Fin. Aid office, everything is received for me....PHEWWWWWW...Thought I was a dead man. :laugh: :laugh:

Hibby417 said:
Speaking of financial aid... What's everyone doing for private loans? Anyone using the Grad Plus? I'm really struggling trying to figure this out. Is all the money you borrow for the year given to you at once, or is it a monthly disbursement, or what? 2nd-3rd year people, any advice? Thanks...

I just applied for the Grad Plus through T.H.E., but I don't know any more than you.

Hibby417 said:

you get the disburesements 3x a year, same as your other aid.

Hibby417 said:

I just applied through T.H.E. for their Grad Plus Loan.

How much is everyone taking out?

I go with the CitiAssist loan from citibank. I liked it better than the grad plus loan. The real key is you should never pay a fee for you private loans and have a waiver for payments during residency. I believe the THE loan has a small origination fee, but you get it back after six months. It has a deferment for residency but you have to qualify for a deferment longer then 5 years (i believe).

Did anyone get an email from Tina Woodruff? She sounds annoyed regarding pre-orientation, orientation, etc. Looks to me that PCOM surfs SDN. :oops:

USArmyDoc said:
Did anyone get an email from Tina Woodruff? She sounds annoyed regarding pre-orientation, orientation, etc. Looks to me that PCOM surfs SDN. :oops:
whats this "pre-orientation" that ur talking about?

This is hilarious

:laugh:

JonnyG said:
I go with the CitiAssist loan from citibank. I liked it better than the grad plus loan. The real key is you should never pay a fee for you private loans and have a waiver for payments during residency. I believe the THE loan has a small origination fee, but you get it back after six months. It has a deferment for residency but you have to qualify for a deferment longer then 5 years (i believe).

Thanks for your responses... The reason I hesitate with the non-Grad Plus loans is variable interest rates. I like the idea of having a fixed rate, and also being able to consolidate later on with my Stafford loans. Are these reasonable thoughts, or am I not thinking along the right lines? I'm struggling with this crap--maybe I should just pick one and go with it?? Thanks guys...

Taus said:
whats this "pre-orientation" that ur talking about?

We have to go to Philly for a 90 minute session on our assigned dates. Mine is on August 2. I don't care really, but I guess some people have been complaining.

gotcha...thats def new....I think the week before our orientation last year we had the "opportunity" to come by and get an early start on getting our composite picture taken, getting our id, meeting people, etc....but it wasn't mandatory if I remember correctly.....

Taus said:
gotcha...thats def new....I think the week before our orientation last year we had the "opportunity" to come by and get an early start on getting our composite picture taken, getting our id, meeting people, etc....but it wasn't mandatory if I remember correctly.....

Taus, is there a "class peculiarity tradition" at PCOM? meaning something like I have heard of other med schools where traditionally one year they are mostly gunners, another mostly slackers, another party freaks, etc etc just curious

medhacker said:
Taus, is there a "class peculiarity tradition" at PCOM? meaning something like I have heard of other med schools where traditionally one year they are mostly gunners, another mostly slackers, another party freaks, etc etc just curious

That idea seems like it requires way too much effort for PCOM. The whole school is way to relaxed to put labels on anyone

JonnyG said:
That idea seems like it requires way too much effort for PCOM. The whole school is way to relaxed to put labels on anyone

Cool, thanks

medhacker said:
not that I know of....

USArmyDoc said:

I was really upset by this email. I felt that the tone was unprofessional. I called them the day they posted the "pre-orientation" dates because I have a dentist appointment on that day in Ohio. Before calling them I had already tried to change it-without success. My options were cancel it (and not have my teeth cleaned until I am home again), go to Sears dentist earlier in the week, or skip pre-orientation. When I called I was told that they would call or email me back. I haven't heard from anyone. Was that email the response? This is the first time I have actually thought maybe I did make the wrong decision when choosing my medical school... :confused: I am going to try calling again... Regardless, I am more than a little disappointed.

Dancing Doctor said:
I was really upset by this email. I felt that the tone was unprofessional. I called them the day they posted the "pre-orientation" dates because I have a dentist appointment on that day in Ohio. Before calling them I had already tried to change it-without success. My options were cancel it (and not have my teeth cleaned until I am home again), go to Sears dentist earlier in the week, or skip pre-orientation. When I called I was told that they would call or email me back. I haven't heard from anyone. Was that email the response? This is the first time I have actually thought maybe I did make the wrong decision when choosing my medical school... :confused: I am going to try calling again... Regardless, I am more than a little disappointed.

Please....don't get too upset about the email. In fact, I think it showed the openess of PCOM. Dr. Woodruff offered to sit down and speak with anyone who was against pre-orientation and I think her offer was sincere. What is so wrong with that? In addition, I think there should be a distinct line between student and faculty. I think she hit it right on the nail of the head. She is one of our deans and is acting like one. :thumbup:

USArmyDoc said:
Please....don't get too upset about the email. In fact, I think it showed the openess of PCOM. Dr. Woodruff offered to sit down and speak with anyone who was against pre-orientation and I think her offer was sincere. What is so wrong with that? In addition, I think there should be a distinct line between student and faculty. I think she hit it right on the nail of the head. She is one of our deans and is acting like one. :thumbup:

I am not against pre-orientation, so don't get me wrong. And I do think her offer was sincere. However, I already called and left a message about the time (during which I am unavalible). More than a week later I have not heard back from them other than this email. I am planning on calling until I get an answer, but I think that in the future a better tactic (rather than a generic group email) would be for them to directly contact those who have told you about their conflicts and those who are causing you issue with complaints. I think that orientation is important. If I didn't, I wouldn't have bothered to let them know date was an issue for me. I guess I just don't know how professional etiqutte regards group emails. Besides, I had already tried to take care of it. I guess I took the email personally because I couldn't be there. I feel bad because had I known about pre-orientation I would have scheduled my appointments differently. In fact, at the end of June I called PCOM to make sure that my work schedule ended and my appointments were taken care of before classes/orientation started, and I was assured that I would not need to be at the school until August 6th. I called, and I don't do my complaining "behind closed doors".

Dancing Doctor said:
"behind closed doors".

What does everyone think this means?

Was this something that took place with the people in biochem prematric?

Or does that mean SDN?
:confused:

medhacker said:

Or does that mean SDN?

I don't know. I called and talked to them today and (hopefully) got my situation worked out.

medhacker said:

Or does that mean SDN?

If I had to guess, I would pick both.....mainly SDN tho.

medhacker said:

Or does that mean SDN?

No "behind close doors" didnt happen at the Biochem summer program. We were told that we didnt have to show up to pre-orientation because we already had our composites and ID's taken.

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
No "behind close doors" didnt happen at the Biochem summer program. We were told that we didnt have to show up to pre-orientation because we already had our composites and ID's taken.

Its gotta mean SDN then. Where else would they hear people complain? And if I remember correctly, there was some grumbling about pre-orientation and orientation, myself included.