PCOM class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Airzonk said:
Wanted to say hi to everyone.
Just saying Hellooooo (Uncle Leo from Seinfeld) to you. :D See U in August!!!!!

Lady DO 2010

Members don't see this ad.

Lady DO2010 said:
I will be in the PCOM DO class 2010. Loves it!!! Can't wait to meet all of you guys.

Lady DO2010 ;)

Welcome to your new addiction. SDN

Is this Lady Day from myspace? if so..i'm Dr. J

pol pot said:
I personally handed in my $2000 check in today at the admissions office. Now I'm broke!
Broke and looking for a place to stay near the school don't go exactly well together! However I have a hunch that its a feeling which we'll all have to become very familiar with over the next couple of yrs.

Just stop and think of the wonderful motley crew of broke ppl you'll be joining come August! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am selling the following items:

1. Bed-queen size ($280)
2. Coffee table-black ikea ($90)
3. Stationary bike ($50)
4. couch-velvelty texture, navy blue ($200)

I cannot seem to post pictures on this thing, so email me, [email protected], and i will send you pics. The Bed and coffee table are less than one year old, so theyre practically brand new. Items are in center city and must be picked up.

SPAMMED.JPG

:laugh:

hey everyone,
just wondering if anyone has received financial aid info yet? i'm starting to worry because i have no idea how i'm gonna be paying for everything come august.

there should be a seminar in the summer about all the financial aid info.....you may want to call the financial aid office and ask when it is

newbie04 said:
PCOM sent out a Financial Aid Workshop postcard that you should receive soon.

Here are the details:

Financial Aid Workshop -- For the DO Class of 2010
June 9, 2006
12:00 PM to 4:00 PM
Ginsburg Amphitheater
Details to Follow!

I hope this helps.

So whos going to the workshop? I'm kinda mad i'm not going to be able to make it. My last day at work is june 9th and I am moving into my apartment in Philly on June 10th (all the way from Virginia Beach, va area :eek: ). Crazy Weekend.

So if they pass out any paperwork can someone grab an extra for me. Thanks! I'll pick it up sometime that weekend if you are still in the Philly area.

so is it ok to wait until after the workshop to apply for loans? my parents have been telling me to do it now.

haha...so i just called the financial aid office and they said i never filled out the MPN form. seriously i have no idea what i'm doing with this stuff....never had to deal with it during college. so i'll definitely be at the fin aid workshop....i need all the help i can get. :)

peace84 said:
so is it ok to wait until after the workshop to apply for loans? my parents have been telling me to do it now.

You cannot apply for private loans until you know what the budget is. They take two seconds to apply for and its really hard to get rejected. You need to know the budget because private loans = Budget (~58000) - 38500(government loans).

hey all,
i finally committed to pcom. i am starting to search for an apartment, does anyone have any advice on places to look. where do most students decide to live. can't wait to meet everyone in aug.

Members don't see this ad :)
dukesbaseball said:
hey all,
i finally committed to pcom. i am starting to search for an apartment, does anyone have any advice on places to look. where do most students decide to live. can't wait to meet everyone in aug.

If you are looking for a roommate, your best bet would be to check on nucleus. Orrr just go to the fin aid workshop and try to find someone to room with.

The apartment i'm staying in is in a converted house about 3 miles from PCOM, right by Executive House apartments/Saint Josephs. I found the apartment on nucleus and called the landlady up, scheduled a visit, and after a week of waiting finally got it! 700 a month all utilities except electric 1bed/1bath w/ a fireplace.

There are tons of places to stay...just gotta find them. GOOD LUCK! :thumbup:

newbie04 said:
I won't be able to make the Financial Aid Workshop either. I spoke with Financial Aid the other day and they said that they have walk-in appointments for incoming students (you don't have to schedule an appt).

I believe they are open from 8:30am - 4:30pm Monday to Wednesday and on Thursdays they are open from 8:30am - 7:00pm (they are closed on Fridays).

peace84--I would get the ball rolling on loans just so you are not in a crunch before school starts--one less thing to worry about.

DO Sigma Nu -- good luck with the move!

Thanks newbie. I guess on monday after I move in i'll just go to the fin aid workshop. I wont have nothing else better to do. :scared:

I've been off SDN for a while, but I wanted to say hi- I'm neurogrrl on myspace. I just got my deposit in under the deadline, and now I'm trying to work on FA, housing etc... I'm planning on going to the FA workshop.

Lady DO2010 said:
I will be in the PCOM DO class 2010. Loves it!!! Can't wait to meet all of you guys.

Lady DO2010 ;)

Heeeelllllloooooo!!!
I am extra excited to say that I am a member of the PCOM DO class of 2010!! See you guys in August!

did any receive their financial aid award letter yet? I finished my financial aid application around two months ago but not receive anything yet from the financial aid office.

Goped said:
did any receive their financial aid award letter yet? I finished my financial aid application around two months ago but not receive anything yet from the financial aid office.

I dont think they are sending the award letters until Mid June. If you have any questions you can call the fin aid office.

i finally got my acceptance letter after being on the wait list what seems to be forever. i'm so excited to meet everyone in August!! :laugh:

2010girl said:
i finally got my acceptance letter after being on the wait list what seems to be forever. i'm so excited to meet everyone in August!! :laugh:

CONGRATS!! Looks like PCOM is taking a good amount of people off the list. :thumbup: See ya in the fall. Have you started looking at apt's?

yeah, i currently live in presidential, it looks like i'll just stay there.

It seems like we are official, we can now get our IDs :laugh:

medhacker said:
It seems like we are official, we can now get our IDs :laugh:

Hottness! I'll be in Philly on June 10th..in my new apartment YEA!.

New PCOM ID Badge on that monday...hopefully i'll be able to use the computer lab.

I don't want to seem over anxious, but my boss just offered to pick up the tab for one of my textbooks for school. I was wondering if anyone knew what our Anatomy book or Biochem was, preferrably one of the bigger $$$$ ones, since it's on him!

Thanks.

KMMD said:
I don't want to seem over anxious, but my boss just offered to pick up the tab for one of my textbooks for school. I was wondering if anyone knew what our Anatomy book or Biochem was, preferrably one of the bigger $$$$ ones, since it's on him!

Thanks.

Dude, almost everyone uses a Netter somewhere along the way, I would get that and the anatomy photo atlas. Other than that ask Taus or any of the upper classmen for what the official textbooks are. Best wishes!

KMMD said:

Thanks.

I'd suggest a Netter atlas as well because it is one of the more pricey ones. I'm in the Biomed class now, and that's the one that we use.

KMMD said:

Thanks.

You're lucky! I'd suggest a Netter atlas as well because it is one of the more pricey ones. I'm in the Biomed class now, and that's the one that we use. Hope that helps. :)

anyone have any opinions on presidential, lincoln green, or greenbriar?

peace84 said:
anyone have any opinions on presidential, lincoln green, or greenbriar?
lincoln green....wayy too expensive for not just an "ok" place
presidential....many, varied complaints from classmates
greenbriar.....good for the price...maintanance isn't the greatest but for what you pay I think the place is a good deal

Unless you are on an armed forces scholarship....don't buy a Netter yet...you get one when you pay to join SOMA. I also highly reccommend Rohans Photo Atlas for anatomy. For the texts...unless you know that you love reading textbooks and have studied from them a lot throughout undergrad....I would avoid Moore's. BRS Gross Anatomy by Chung was great for the class and was very concise. If you insist on getting a Moore's....a used, old edition will do fine.....its somewhat good to use just for the clinical correlation boxes.

Taus said:
Unless you are on an armed forces scholarship....don't buy a Netter yet...you get one when you pay to join SOMA. I also highly reccommend Rohans Photo Atlas for anatomy. For the texts...unless you know that you love reading textbooks and have studied from them a lot throughout undergrad....I would avoid Moore's. BRS Gross Anatomy by Chung was great for the class and was very concise. If you insist on getting a Moore's....a used, old edition will do fine.....its somewhat good to use just for the clinical correlation boxes.

I would say get the Robbins patholigical basis of disease. Its the pathology book that you use every trimester except for the first. I don't read any of the textbooks and do well, but this is a book most people in the class read.

I am going to be a second year next fall, and I need to find a new roommate. My place is close to campus (5-10 min drive) in east falls. It is a row house in a quiet neighborhood with a pizza shop exactly across the street. Rent is about $500.00 a month (extremely cheap) and the place is extremely cute. Private me is you are interested!

can PCOM students do 3rd and 4th year rotations in Michigan?

:mad: :mad: :mad: Mann i'm kinda pissed you guys. Why do we have to pay for our OWN background check?!?!?!! 50 Bucks. Whoa.

And does anyone know when we have to have it done?

(I got the letter today in the mail)

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :eek:

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
:mad: :mad: :mad: Mann i'm kinda pissed you guys. Why do we have to pay for our OWN background check?!?!?!! 50 Bucks. Whoa.

And does anyone know when we have to have it done?

(I got the letter today in the mail)

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :eek:

i knowwwww! I was reeeeeeally mad too :mad: Aren't there other ways they can check our background without making us pay?????

On the letter it says that it should be done by July 1st. I actually just did it right now. If you go to the website they give and pay online, it only takes like 2 minutes.

I have to pay to be screened wow life sucks! Soon I have to pay for air (I already pay for water and it covers most of the earth's surface) :(

ppormansdoormd said:
can PCOM students do 3rd and 4th year rotations in Michigan?
not sure about the "core" rotations....but you can go anywhere you want for your electives (1 3rd year and a 4-5 or so 4th year)

If you have a good reason you can do your core rotations anywhere. Some that I know have worked are family and pregnanacy. The problem is that they do not help you set them up. You would have to do all that work for yourself.

ROFL

It's like:

"sure come get your IDs", JUST MAKE SURE YOUR CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CLEARS!!! :mad: " hahhaa or even JAJJAJA

mitawa said:
I have to pay to be screened wow life sucks! Soon I have to pay for air (I already pay for water and it covers most of the earth's surface) :(

:laugh: I'm glad everyone else understands me.

Mitawa you have to pay for filtered air now. :laugh:

I don't know how many rebel rousers there are on this thread but personally I am not going to go about the criminal background check the way PCOM wants and I hope others will join me. There are multiple reasons for this.

1. First and foremost, THE COST IS EXTREMELY UNNECESSARY. If anyone has had to work with children before –in a school setting, volunteering or something of the sort - you may have been asked to provide a criminal background check. “How did we do it without paying $50?” you may ask. We used the gold standard of background checks: going to the Pennsylvania State Police. This link will give you directions on how to get a background check (http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/view.asp?A=4&Q=48275) where this link (http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/lib/psp/sp4-164.pdf) can be found. It is the Pennsylvania criminal background check and it only costs $10.

2. So now we have a cheap and simple way to get a criminal background check and PCOMs expensive way of getting a complete history check (including a criminal background check). The online background checks PCOM wants us to front does not only cover your criminal record. If you read PCOMs form and look at all the information this background check divulges you will quickly see it is not only your criminal record. This leads me to believe for whatever reason PCOM wants access to more then just our criminal record.

3. PCOM claims that the criminal background check is a preemptive strike to avoid complications of entering rotations our 3rd and 4th year. Being that our rotations will not start until two years from now these background checks we get now will be invalid then. There is an expiration date on these record checks because there is going to be a lot of opportunity within the next two years to cause some mischief and crime (I am being facetious…stay clean). Therefore, if we submit to this online check system we are not paying only $50 but in the end it will be at least $100 to get these all inclusive background checks.

I plan on talking with PCOM on Tuesday to ask if I can turn in the PA State Police background check because I literally just had to get one for when I am working at a week long camp for children who are burn victims. If they will not accept this PA State Police check – the gold standard – and they answer the questions that I have above satisfactorily then I will be happy to pay the $50.

As of right now, it is a scam. :cool:

Hulk said:
I don't know how many rebel rousers there are on this thread but personally I am not going to go about the criminal background check the way PCOM wants and I hope others will join me. There are multiple reasons for this.

1. First and foremost, THE COST IS EXTREMELY UNNECESSARY. If anyone has had to work with children before –in a school setting, volunteering or something of the sort - you may have been asked to provide a criminal background check. “How did we do it without paying $50?” you may ask. We used the gold standard of background checks: going to the Pennsylvania State Police. This link will give you directions on how to get a background check (http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/view.asp?A=4&Q=48275) where this link (http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/lib/psp/sp4-164.pdf) can be found. It is the Pennsylvania criminal background check and it only costs $10.

2. So now we have a cheap and simple way to get a criminal background check and PCOMs expensive way of getting a complete history check (including a criminal background check). The online background checks PCOM wants us to front does not only cover your criminal record. If you read PCOMs form and look at all the information this background check divulges you will quickly see it is not only your criminal record. This leads me to believe for whatever reason PCOM wants access to more then just our criminal record.

3. PCOM claims that the criminal background check is a preemptive strike to avoid complications of entering rotations our 3rd and 4th year. Being that our rotations will not start until two years from now these background checks we get now will be invalid then. There is an expiration date on these record checks because there is going to be a lot of opportunity within the next two years to cause some mischief and crime (I am being facetious…stay clean). Therefore, if we submit to this online check system we are not paying only $50 but in the end it will be at least $100 to get these all inclusive background checks.

I plan on talking with PCOM on Tuesday to ask if I can turn in the PA State Police background check because I literally just had to get one for when I am working at a week long camp for children who are burn victims. If they will not accept this PA State Police check – the gold standard – and they answer the questions that I have above satisfactorily then I will be happy to pay the $50.

Whoa I love you. :laugh:

I'm calling on tuesday too.

I am with you homie, count me in. Maybe we should post this on nucleus and get a good number of people from the entire class (there will always be some chickens :laugh: ) but I am for it.

Hulk said:

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Whoa I love you. :laugh:

I'm calling on tuesday too.
Poor med students unite! :laugh:

mitawa said:
Poor med students unite! :laugh:

ehhh you guys are just poor................wait till the end of your first year when your poor AND in debt. I am already at the point that there is no turning back.

Granted thats not really a bad thing.

JonnyG said:
ehhh you guys are just poor................wait till the end of your first year when your poor AND in debt. I am already at the point that there is no turning back.

Granted thats not really a bad thing.

I was poor before I applied to medical school... How can I afford all this?!

Dancing Doctor said:
I was poor before I applied to medical school... How can I afford all this?!

Credit Cards, Parents, parents, parents, parents, and working your butt off at a job that pays near to nothing. :thumbup:

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Credit Cards, Parents, parents, parents, parents, and working your butt off at a job that pays near to nothing. :thumbup:

Credit cards: Really bad idea, extra debit you have to pay and takes away from the loans. I had some debt i should have worked alittle longer to pay off.

Parents: They laughed at the notion. Good bless Loans.

Job: With what time, work study just takes away from your private loans. It doesn't give you more money. It is easier just to take the private loans, study more and land the good residency which gives the higher paying job which allows you to pay off the loans faster.

Supposedly your class is restoring the tradition of the class being >60% female. My class was the first in a long while to be 50/50.

JonnyG said:
Credit cards: Really bad idea, extra debit you have to pay and takes away from the loans. I had some debt i should have worked alittle longer to pay off.

Parents: They laughed at the notion. Good bless Loans.

Job: With what time, work study just takes away from your private loans. It doesn't give you more money. It is easier just to take the private loans, study more and land the good residency which gives the higher paying job which allows you to pay off the loans faster.

Supposedly your class is restoring the tradition of the class being >60% female. My class was the first in a long while to be 50/50.

Oh no I was talking about BEFORE med school. I barely have CC debt...but i surely did a year ago.