PCOM Advantages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScienceNerd101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

Can anyone (current students or PCOM enthusiasts) give me their impressions of PCOM? Please be sure to include pro's and con's (can be curriculum, housing, philly life, cost to attend etc) as well as if you feel attending PCOM has a advantage to any other medical program. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All!

Can anyone (current students or PCOM enthusiasts) give me their impressions of PCOM? Please be sure to include pro's and con's (can be curriculum, housing, philly life, cost to attend etc) as well as if you feel attending PCOM has a advantage to any other medical program. Thanks!

What other schools are you deciding between? Also, I assume you are talking about PCOM-PA and not GA, right?

Hello All!

Can anyone (currehtmltudents or PCOM enthusiasts) give me their impressions of PCOM? Please be sure to include pro's and con's (can be curriculum, housing, philly life, cost to attend etc) as well as if you feel attending PCOM has a advantage to any other medical program. Thanks!

@TopTomato

Thoughts?

I'm going there next year and everyone is really nice there.

Its very close (7 miles maybe?) to the middle of the city and manayunk is nice.

Lots of GME opportunities and seemingly decent research. Lots of good hospital affiliation (Gessinger,lankaneau, Albert Einstein PA, lehigh valley, chestnut, and roxborough hospitals) rotate with other MD students. 100% GME match rate and its seemingly a good list.

http://www.pcom.edu/Graduate_Medical_Education/Residency_Programs/residency_programs.html

http://www.pcom.edu/Graduate_Medical_Education/Residency_Programs/residency_programs.html

http://www.pcom.edu/Graduate_Medical_Education/PCOM_MEDNet/pcom_mednet.html

Decent endowment also for a DO school.

That's why I'm going there. Hopefully top tomato can give a more accurate answer as I do not yet attend the institution.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
...100% of students matched and its seemingly a good list.

Minor nit with your post...

100% of PCOM students were "placed", not 100% matched.

There's virtually no school in the country with a 100% match rate. Much less any DO schools. But schools that can (and often do) boast a 100% placement rate are a dime a dozen.

100% placement rate just means that all those who didn't match successfully scrambled into something.

Reactions: 1 user
Minor nit with your post...

100% of PCOM students were "placed", not 100% matched.

There's virtually no school in the country with a 100% match rate. Much less any DO schools. But schools that can (and often do) boast a 100% placement rate are a dime a dozen.

100% placement rate just means that all those who didn't match successfully scrambled into something.

Oh OK thanks for the information.

http://admissions.pcom.edu/program/osteopathic-medicine-philadelphia-campus/

Under program highlights (third bullet) this is how PCOM worded it

• This year’s DO class has a 100 percent GME match rate—62 percent of which initially choose a primary care discipline.

Thanks @Camaxtli.

Ok so i'm finishing up my first year and here is what I have to say about PCOM:

Overall my experience has been a positive one, I think the school is a fine institution and I believe it can get you where you want to go in life. Maybe because I go to PCOM and we have such an extensive OPTI network, that I've never felt that a DO "can't do neurosurgery or ortho or urology" or any of that BS. The best thing about PCOM is going to be the clinical and GME education that it can provide. Our surgical and surgical subspecialty residencies are very good and considered some of the best AOA residencies around. I've heard (non PCOM) residents say that PCOM urology residency (located at Einstein) is even better than some ACGME residencies. Last fall, PCOM posted where our general surgery residents were going for fellowship and about 5-6 of them were going to ACGME cardiothoracic or trauma fellowships. Another interesting note, is that if you look at the surgical and surgical subspecialty residencies you'll notice that there is a lot of in house favoritism, meaning that they tend to pick PCOM grads over other schools.

Our clinical education is also more of the same, and yes we do rotate with MD students. PCOM recently has made a change to the way we do our core rotations during 3rd year by setting up these "clinical core campuses" which basically means that you do all of your 3rd year rotations at one site. Which could be a good thing or could be a bad thing. The two biggest core campus sites that we have are Lankenau and Einstein, both of which are shared by Jefferson. There are others but they are located in Pittsburgh, Reading, and the Geisinger health system. However there are only enough spots for roughly half the class. Which may or may not be much of a problem, some students didn't want to be stuck at one hospital and opted to rotate the traditional way. If you didn't get a CCC slot, than you would rotate the way PCOM traditionally rotates. The CCC sites created a lot of controversy because anybody who planned on rotating where a CCC site was set up had their rotation cancelled. Obviously this made a lot of students unhappy.

From what i've seen our pre-clinical education seems to be pointing us in the right direction. PCOM states (like every US medical school in the country), that they "do not teach to the boards", which is very true. The lectures i've had so far 90% of the time go along with First Aid for the USMLE and pathoma, the other 10% of the time you're given more information than needed. The biggest thing about medical education, is that it is what you make of it. If you think you can just study lecture material and do well on boards, you're wrong and if you think that if you can just study for the boards and barely pass your classes you're also very wrong.

The biggest complaint that I see from students is about the administration, some feel that they are out of touch and disorganized. They're constantly changing the curriculum, which can be good or bad depending on what's changed. Right now there is an internal push to have our curriculum changed to a pass/fail system, which I hope they change too. It wouldn't affect me, but I think it would be better for the incoming students if we had a true pass/fail grading scheme.

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks @Camaxtli.

Overall my experience has been a positive one, I think the school is a fine institution and I believe it can get you where you want to go in life. Maybe because I go to PCOM and we have such an extensive OPTI network, that I've never felt that a DO "can't do neurosurgery or ortho or urology" or any of that BS. The best thing about PCOM is going to be the clinical and GME education that it can provide. Our surgical and surgical subspecialty residencies are very good and considered some of the best AOA residencies around. I've heard (non PCOM) residents say that PCOM urology residency (located at Einstein) is even better than some ACGME residencies. Last fall, PCOM posted where our general surgery residents were going for fellowship and about 5-6 of them were going to ACGME cardiothoracic or trauma fellowships. Another interesting note, is that if you look at the surgical and surgical subspecialty residencies you'll notice that there is a lot of in house favoritism, meaning that they tend to pick PCOM grads over other schools.

Our clinical education is also more of the same, and yes we do rotate with MD students. PCOM recently has made a change to the way we do our core rotations during 3rd year by setting up these "clinical core campuses" which basically means that you do all of your 3rd year rotations at one site. Which could be a good thing or could be a bad thing. The two biggest core campus sites that we have are Lankenau and Einstein, both of which are shared by Jefferson. There are others but they are located in Pittsburgh, Reading, and the Geisinger health system. However there are only enough spots for roughly half the class. Which may or may not be much of a problem, some students didn't want to be stuck at one hospital and opted to rotate the traditional way. If you didn't get a CCC slot, than you would rotate the way PCOM traditionally rotates. The CCC sites created a lot of controversy because anybody who planned on rotating where a CCC site was set up had their rotation cancelled. Obviously this made a lot of students unhappy.

From what i've seen our pre-clinical education seems to be pointing us in the right direction. PCOM states (like every US medical school in the country), that they "do not teach to the boards", which is very true. The lectures i've had so far 90% of the time go along with First Aid for the USMLE and pathoma, the other 10% of the time you're given more information than needed. The biggest thing about medical education, is that it is what you make of it. If you think you can just study lecture material and do well on boards, you're wrong and if you think that if you can just study for the boards and barely pass your classes you're also very wrong.

The biggest complaint that I see from students is about the administration, some feel that they are out of touch and disorganized. They're constantly changing the curriculum, which can be good or bad depending on what's changed. Right now there is an internal push to have our curriculum changed to a pass/fail system, which I hope they change too. It wouldn't affect me, but I think it would be better for the incoming students if we had a true pass/fail grading scheme.
1) are you saying to study for boards and your classes at the same time?
2) How are the students at PCOM? gunners? cooperative? etc.

Thanks @Camaxtli.

Do you think there is any chance that next year's entering class would be pass/fail? That would be fantastic!

1) are you saying to study for boards and your classes at the same time?
2) How are the students at PCOM? gunners? cooperative? etc.

No I'm saying that you can't only rely on First Aid and expect to do well on the USMLE, you need to have a solid foundation in the basic sciences as well.

The students are pretty helpful, people are always posting study guides to the facebook group and stuff

Do you think there is any chance that next year's entering class would be pass/fail? That would be fantastic!

To be honest I have no idea. There's a push for a pass/fail curriculum, but it would have to be approved by administration and stuff first. If I had to guess, it would probably be the class of 2020 that has pass/fail at the earliest.

If you don't mind me asking Mr. Tomato. With all the applicants PCOM gets what are their priorities in applicants? High stats, Regional Preference, High extracurriculars, etc?

Thanks for the insight guys! I was accepted to PCOM last fall and plan on matriculating--at this moment I'm also wait-listed at my instate school (UMD) and EVMS. I was just curious about peoples impressions of the school since it gets praised so often :) I'm definitely looking forward to attending. @TopTomato: What would you recommend for housing? Also--Is the cafe used a lot? Or do people typically eat out more? Thanks!

I graduated from pcom a few years ago. I'll answer questions in PM if anyone wants. My experience was probably a bit different than how it is now, so keep that in mind. Overall, my experience was a positive one, and I would recommend the school.

If you don't mind me asking Mr. Tomato. With all the applicants PCOM gets what are their priorities in applicants? High stats, Regional Preference, High extracurriculars, etc?

High stats, with a slight regional bias (but students come from all over the US, plenty of cali students at PCOM)

Thanks for the insight guys! I was accepted to PCOM last fall and plan on matriculating--at this moment I'm also wait-listed at my instate school (UMD) and EVMS. I was just curious about peoples impressions of the school since it gets praised so often :) I'm definitely looking forward to attending. @TopTomato: What would you recommend for housing? Also--Is the cafe used a lot? Or do people typically eat out more? Thanks!

For housing I personally wouldn't want to live by the school just because nothing goes on over there. Personally i'd like to live in a Philly neighborhood that has a lot of stuff to do, but that's just my opinion. Plenty of students live within walking distance of the school. The cafe does get used a lot, food is pretty good actually.

If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me

For housing I personally wouldn't want to live by the school just because nothing goes on over there. Personally i'd like to live in a Philly neighborhood that has a lot of stuff to do, but that's just my opinion. Plenty of students live within walking distance of the school. The cafe does get used a lot, food is pretty good actually.

If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me

How easy is it to go from other places in pilly to pcom? Is there public transportation or do you need to drive?