pcat scores for 8-21-10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkiskadd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So does anyone think we'll start to see the scores this weekend or do you think we'll have to wait til next weekend?

Members don't see this ad.

I called Pearson yesterday and spoke to a representative that said the letters where sent out from Maryland Monday morning.

I thought the scores were mailed from their headquarters in San Antonio, Texas. I believe the scores were put online Tue. night, so I think they should arrive in the mail Fri. or Sat.

PharmCAS still says it doesn't have my scores. Does PharmCAS appear to have received anyone elses scores?

This was my first experience with the PCAT:

Verbal Ability: 92
Biology: 84
Reading Comp: 87
Quantitative: 78
Chemistry: 77
Writing: 3/3

Composite: 88

Definitely happy with my scores. Think my GPA of 3.91 and Bachelor's Degree in Athletic Training will help me out a ton.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the scores were mailed from their headquarters in San Antonio, Texas. I believe the scores were put online Tue. night, so I think they should arrive in the mail Fri. or Sat.

Perfect, just in time to miss the October PCAT cancellation deadline by a day. What a 'coincidence'. And by coincidence, I mean scam.

Perfect, just in time to miss the October PCAT cancellation deadline by a day. What a 'coincidence'. And by coincidence, I mean scam.

You never know, I could be wrong. In the past, people have said 1-2 days after the scores become available online so it could come today. I would call Pearson and ask if the deadline is tonight at 11:59 PM or tomorrow before a certain time ( I didn't see a time for the cancellation deadline in the handbook)

I caved and paid $20 to see my score, and then cancelled the October PCAT :)

That makes sense then why you would ask.

because i was just curious and wanted to know...n it is exhausting waiting for these scores to come back and if i know someone had got his/her back then i can est. when i can get mine...gee is it a crime 2 b curious?

because i was just curious and wanted to know...n it is exhausting waiting for these scores to come back and if i know someone had got his/her back then i can est. when i can get mine...gee is it a crime 2 b curious?

No not at all!! I wasn't asking "why would you ask?" I was stating that since you actually posted your question in a different thread, it makes sense why you would ask. :)

Had to buy the scores. Pretty disappointed, but oh well. Not that big of a deal.

Verbal - 86
Biology - 40
RC - 45
QA - 61
Chem - 53

Composite - 60

Hope this makes some others feel better. I know how hard it is to come on here and see people only posting good scores. Good luck to everyone else.

Last edited:
Had to buy the scores. Pretty disappointed, but oh well. Not that big of a deal.

Verbal - 86
Biology - 40
RC - 45
QA - 61
Chem - 53

Composite - 60

Hope this makes some others feel better. I know how hard it is to come on here and see people only posting good scores. Good luck to everyone else.

It is kinda intimidating to see people posting only high scores, but that doesn't mean that all people did well. And don't forget that most of those with super high scores probably took PCAT multiple times until they achieved the desired results.

Moral of story: don't lose hope and keep trying until you get what you want :thumbup:

p.s. I've taken pcat three times but I was never able to do nearly as well as you did in verbal, good job ;)

It is kinda intimidating to see people posting only high scores, but that doesn't mean that all people did well. And don't forget that most of those with super high scores probably took PCAT multiple times until they achieved the desired results.

Moral of story: don't lose hope and keep trying until you get what you want :thumbup:

p.s. I've taken pcat three times but I was never able to do nearly as well as you did in verbal, good job ;)

Thanks. I'm still debating on re-taking since a couple of the schools I'm applying to don't require the PCAT. More of a safety net for my 3rd and 4th choice schools.

A 60 just sounds bad, I keep telling myself I did better than 60% of people who took the test. At least it will help me sleep tonight :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kinda disappointed with my scores. I spent close to $400 on Collins and I only got an 83. WTF! I know I should be happy but i at least thought I'd get in the high 80s

Verbal 77
Biology 91
Reading 40!
Quant 65
Chemistry 93
Comp 83

writing 3/3

I never scored that low in reading in any of my practice pearson's test. (Moral of the story: Don't use only Dr. Collins for Reading)
For those who are curious. My cumGPA 3.0 /Math-SciGPA 3.8/ Pre-req 3.7
I have research experience, a little volunteering and pharmacy tech experience (started both in the fall)

F#$%! I was hoping the PCAT would be my shining point! Oh well!

Last edited:
My daughter received her scores in the mail today. We're in California and the postmark was dated 9/21/10, Texas.

I'm kinda disappointed with my scores. I spent closed to $400 on Collins and I only got an 83. WTF! I know I should be happy but i at least thought I'd get in the high 80s

Verbal 77
Biology 91
Reading 40!
Quant 65
Chemistry 93
Comp 83

I never scored that low in reading in any of my practice pearson's test. (Moral of the story: Don't use only Dr. Collins for Reading)
For those who are curious. My cumGPA 3.0 /Math-SciGPA 3.8/ Pre-req 3.7
I have research experience, a little volunteering and pharmacy tech experience (started both in the fall)

F#$%! I was hoping the PCAT would be my shining point! Oh well!

As long as you're above any section minimums for the schools you're applying to, I think you look pretty good. 83 composite is very good, and the 93 chem and 91 bio really stand out. Don't be too disappointed!

Thanks. I'm still debating on re-taking since a couple of the schools I'm applying to don't require the PCAT. More of a safety net for my 3rd and 4th choice schools.

A 60 just sounds bad, I keep telling myself I did better than 60% of people who took the test. At least it will help me sleep tonight :laugh:

Well if you think that you have a very good shot at getting into one of those schools with no PCAT requirement, then you're fine... but if you are seriously considering those that do want PCAT, then maybe you should retake it. You'll be surprised how much you can improve from time to time if you put a little more effort into preparing yourself. Good luck.

Well if you think that you have a very good shot at getting into one of those schools with no PCAT requirement, then you're fine... but if you are seriously considering those that do want PCAT, then maybe you should retake it. You'll be surprised how much you can improve from time to time if you put a little more effort into preparing yourself. Good luck.

Thanks. I've decided that I will re-take. I'm taking the October test online which I think benefits me since I can read much quicker online (would explain why I got 80-100% on all Pearson practice tests for RC). I just ran out of time for that section. I've gotten A's and B's for most Bio and Chem classes in my college career (just got my bachelors), so I'm pretty sure I can improve alot in those sections too. Thanks for the reassurance and inspiration. Good luck with your apps this year and God Bless.

VA: 89
Bio: 98
RC: 45
Quant: 76
Chem: 72
Comp: 86

So I'm also a first time test taker, and this is my first SDN post even though I've been reading threads since I started studying for the Aug 2010 PCAT back in July. Thanks for the advice everyone! :)

I'd have to say everything is fairly accurate except for Chemistry. I graduated in 2009 from UW-Madison with a B.S. in Biochemistry and Spanish, and got nearly straight A's in all my chem courses (exceptions: B in first semester genchem and an AB in pchem). Also, I took two Pearson's practice tests and got 89% correct the first time and 96% correct the second time. Plus, I thought I completely aced this section on test day, but oh well...guess it could be worse, considering I took the test on about 2 hours of sleep! This probably also would explain the disastrous RC score...

Congrats to everyone who did well and to those of you who are disappointed - keep your head up!

Last edited:
Just pulled the trigger. Damn Pearson for milking every last penny out of me!

Verbal: 99
Biology: 96
Reading:94
Quant: 34 :eek:
Chem: 85
Writing: 3.0/3.0

Composite: 94

I was flabbergasted. I felt horrible about my prospects after taking the test... I suppose I was obviously worried about my quant performance (and turns out I was right to worry!) Still a little shocked that my other numbers were enough to pull it up that much.

Damn, and I've got two exams tomorrow to study for. I need a beer. :D

I just got my scores, they are:

Verbal: 73
Biology: 61
Reading: 65
Quantitative: 55
Chemistry: 98
Composite: 82

I'm satisfied with my composite and writing, but am concerned that my mediocre biology score will hurt me. If I retake the PCAT will it negate these scores. I have a pretty good GPA (3.33), a bachelors degree in pharmaceutical science, and have been working as a chemist for the past 5 years. I think my situation is too unique to be sure what score is necessary.
I just wish I would have gotten into the 70's with my biology. I took two pre-tests and was in the 90's with my biology score. So I'm a little frustrated and don't know what to do.
If anybody has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

They came to the Phoenix, AZ area today too.

mandy, what kind of envelopes did they come in? regular ones or big ones?
gotta know cuz i have a UPS mailbox, and i just call in to ask if i got something in the mail. thanks! :)

i just don't have the $20 to spend, maybe if i find a job soon! i don't want to spend $20 to see my scores just to be disappointed..

gotta know cuz i have a UPS mailbox, and i just call in to ask if i got something in the mail. thanks! :)

i just don't have the $20 to spend, maybe if i find a job soon! i don't want to spend $20 to see my scores just to be disappointed..

Regular size envelopes.

Don't spend the 20 bucks; save it for your applications. I got my results in the mail today in the midwest. Yours are on their way...

Regular size envelopes.

Don't spend the 20 bucks; save it for your applications. I got my results in the mail today in the midwest. Yours are on their way...

Thanks! My situation's a little different though, because I had to contact Pearson to change my address shortly after I took the test. The lady that I spoke to told me that my scores would still be mailed to the old address, and they would only mail it to the new one should the envelope be returned to them. I'm not sure why they couldn't just send it to the new address to begin with since I updated them like 3 days after I took the test, so I might have to pay the $20 if it ends up getting lost or something. But I guess I'm still hoping that they just send it to the new address anyway.
Chances are small, but is anyone in the same situation?

Ya just regular white envelopes :) If you haven't paid the $20 yet, I wouldn't. If you haven't already received it in the mail, you will tomorrow I bet!

congrats! that's a good score, I presonally wouldn't mess with it just incase you have a bad test day next time! Think you forgot to post your verbal by the way :p

Dave!!!how long did you take to prepare for the PCAT?????guys Im devastated Im too embarrased to say what I got its horrible....and now there is only 15 days left before october pcat..HEEELLLLPPPPP what do I do? withdraw? or is that even enough time??? im freaking out:(:(:(:(

Verbal - 86
Biology - 40
RC - 45
QA - 61
Chem - 53

Composite - 60

You did way better than me buddy don't feel bad I wish I got a 60...33!!!!!fml...RC dragggeed me down I had 50's in everything else:(

The scores are sent from San Antonio, Texas and I live a hour and a half way and still haven't received my scores in the mail. I guess Texas mail is slow...
Good thing i bought the online score report, so I could cancel the Oct. PCAT in time.

Anyone in Texas receive their paper score report yet?

Sigh...

I got badddddddd

Verbal: 50
Bio: 91
Rding: 45
QA: 39 D:
Chem: 88
Comp: 71

Sigh...=_=

I kinda take offense to that. I received the same composite score as you, and I feel it was quite an accomplishment considering my score on the first one.
Your 71 isn't "BADDDDD".
Man you people KILLLL MEEEEE

Do most schools just look at your composite score or do they look at the individual section scores?

Like what if I got like a 90 percentile but got like 50 in all sections but a 99 in math?

Did you even SEE the 39 on QA? And 45 on Rding?!

Yup, I saw it. Right there with ya bud - I was super low on the Reading and QA as well. Would I have liked to do better? Of course, but I am still much happier with these scores than my last set - especially because I know how much time I put in to studying so I feel like I did the best I could. And as you can see by numerous posts in this thread, LOTS of people don't do well on the reading. It's not going to be a deal breaker for you. I would venture to say that most schools focus primarily on your composite.
I mean, if you think you could do better in October, then take it over by all means. I just wanted to say that the 71 isn't BADDDD. Contrary to what you may think due to all the posters on here with 90-99 composites, there are many more of us who didn't do that well and just didn't report.

:thumbup: and $20 for each additional transcript, and $80 for the practice tests.... I told myself I wasn't going to give Pearson another $20, but when I saw that the scores were up, I gave in. They have such a scam going.

My 2nd time taking...I'm happy with my improvement, but I'm still going to retake in Oct to raise my quant/science sections.

VA 92 (82)
Bio 56 (45)
RC 71 (69)
QA 55 (48)
Chem 64 (48)
Comp 74 (62)

3.5/3.5

Good luck to everyone!

How do they calculate the composite scores? I thought they added them all together, then divided by 5??

I am baffled at the fact that PharmCAS isn't updated yet. The scores went out from Pearson on the 21st, and they go out electronically to PharmCAS. Has anyone else's been updated? Want to make sure there's not a mix-up with my PCAT CID or anything...

Every time I try to buy the online scores assessment i get the error "The service you requested is not available at this time. Please try again at a later date."

anyone else get this issue?

Can someone please update when the east coast receive their scores in the mail!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

I believe they add all 5 scaled scores up then divide by 5. Then the percentage is weighted by the scaled composite. My gf's PharmCAS was just updated. They received the scores today. They actually sent all the scores to PharmCAS..not just the August PCAT. bleh

Every time I try to buy the online scores assessment i get the error "The service you requested is not available at this time. Please try again at a later date."

anyone else get this issue?

Can someone please update when the east coast receive their scores in the mail!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

That blows...I'm sorry :( The good news is you should receive your paper scores by today or tomorrow at the latest I would think. I'm not on the east coast - I'm in AZ, but I received mine yesterday.

I believe they add all 5 scaled scores up then divide by 5. Then the percentage is weighted by the scaled composite. My gf's PharmCAS was just updated. They received the scores today. They actually sent all the scores to PharmCAS..not just the August PCAT. bleh

Yeah, when Pearson sends scores, all of your old exam scores are on the transcripts as well. I know, boo! :)

And I just checked again, and within 5 minutes they were updated! LoL...weird. Thanks!

Got my scores in the mail today, talk about one end of the spectrum to the other!

Biology: 94
Reading: 40
Quant: 29 :laugh:
Chemistry: 95
Composite: 79

I know I can absolutely improve Quant and Reading, considering I studied them nil to nothing. The question is whether I can perform as good on Bio and Chem as I did again, and my desire to take this test once more is severely lacking...

My GPA is average at best (Anticipating a B.S. in Biochem from a respectful University though).

Retake?

reading 45
biology 56
verbal 82
chemistry 88
quant 99
comp 88

gpa - 2.5

i'm applying to purdue and kentucky

wish me luck

I think your fine since you attend a "respectful" university, I'm kind of worried because I don't know if my undergrad SUNY state school is considered "respected". But noone mentioned it was not repected before I attended so I don't know.

Got my scores in the mail today, talk about one end of the spectrum to the other!

Biology: 94
Reading: 40
Quant: 29 :laugh:
Chemistry: 95
Composite: 79

I know I can absolutely improve Quant and Reading, considering I studied them nil to nothing. The question is whether I can perform as good on Bio and Chem as I did again, and my desire to take this test once more is severely lacking...

My GPA is average at best (Anticipating a B.S. in Biochem from a respectful University though).

Retake?

Hey Guys,
At first, Pharmcas wasn't one of the schools I have my PCAT sent to, but then a month before our August PCAt, I went to the website and paid $20 to have my score sent to Pharmcas. Is that why my PCAT score hasn't been updated on Pharmcas yet? I just checked one min ago. How long do I have to wait till my score are updated? Any replies would be appreciated!