pcat scores for 8-21-10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkiskadd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So does anyone think we'll start to see the scores this weekend or do you think we'll have to wait til next weekend?

Members don't see this ad.

Got my scores in the mail today, talk about one end of the spectrum to the other!

Verbal: 73
Biology: 94
Reading: 40
Quant: 29 :laugh:
Chemistry: 95
Composite: 79

I know I can absolutely improve Quant and Reading, considering I studied them nil to nothing. The question is whether I can perform as good on Bio and Chem as I did again, and my desire to take this test once more is severely lacking...

My GPA is average at best (Anticipating a B.S. in Biochem from a respectful University though).

Retake?

I'm in a similar situation as you. I did well on Bio and chemical but horrible on other sections. (39 on math) and it was partially due to me not studying as much as I did with sciences. I'm afraid if I retake in October l, I wont do so well in science and only able to increase the other scores by little. The test is in three weeks if I were to retake and I have exams and midterms every week for next three weeks (I'm taking 18 hours) so I don't know if its worth me stressing over to retake it again for a small chance that I will substantially succeed. But the schools in Texas require October test as latest so that means if I ilsont retake it I would have to wait until next cycle (I'll still apply this cycle though). I got a composite of 71, which is better than I thought but not good enough. Plus I don't have work experience in pharmacy only volunteering and shadowing so there's nothing "unique" about me (my GPA is 3.65). I'm Just contemplating if I should take the risk or take it in January and use that score to apply next cycle (if I do that I plan to get a job in pharmacy to learn and improve my application). What do you guys think?? Any advice from those who did well And advice overall for me?

I'm in a similar situation as you. I did well on Bio and chemical but horrible on other sections. (39 on math) and it was partially due to me not studying as much as I did with sciences. I'm afraid if I retake in October l, I wont do so well in science and only able to increase the other scores by little. The test is in three weeks if I were to retake and I have exams and midterms every week for next three weeks (I'm taking 18 hours) so I don't know if its worth me stressing over to retake it again for a small chance that I will substantially succeed. But the schools in Texas require October test as latest so that means if I ilsont retake it I would have to wait until next cycle (I'll still apply this cycle though). I got a composite of 71, which is better than I thought but not good enough. Plus I don't have work experience in pharmacy only volunteering and shadowing so there's nothing "unique" about me (my GPA is 3.65). I'm Just contemplating if I should take the risk or take it in January and use that score to apply next cycle (if I do that I plan to get a job in pharmacy to learn and improve my application). What do you guys think?? Any advice from those who did well And advice overall for me?

Just keep in mind that some Texas schools (UT Austin for sure, maybe Texas Tech) only consider your most recent scores

Just keep in mind that some Texas schools (UT Austin for sure, maybe Texas Tech) only consider your most recent scores

Yeah I know, and thank goodness for that. That's why I am thinking like is it worth stressing like hell for next three weeks to retake PCAT and not even knowing if I will do better (way better). Currently, my application isn't very strong. I have 3.65 GPA, 3.5 science GPA, with only volunteering and shadowing experiences. I don't work at a pharmacy nor do I personally know a pharmacist who could "mentor" me. With the PCAT score I got, I don't know if I can improve it so well that it will stand out in my application. Perhaps waiting for next cycle and gaining more pharmacy experience and work will help me improve my application as well, not just to improve PCAT. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I know, and thank goodness for that. That's why I am thinking like is it worth stressing like hell for next three weeks to retake PCAT and not even knowing if I will do better (way better). Currently, my application isn't very strong. I have 3.65 GPA, 3.5 science GPA, with only volunteering and shadowing experiences. I don't work at a pharmacy nor do I personally know a pharmacist who could "mentor" me. With the PCAT score I got, I don't know if I can improve it so well that it will stand out in my application. Perhaps waiting for next cycle and gaining more pharmacy experience and work will help me improve my application as well, not just to improve PCAT. What do you think?

I beg to differ. Even if your PCAT score isn't top-notch, it's adequate and consoled enough by your excellent GPA. You've proven that thus far you can handle the curriculum en route to a PharmD program.

Your volunteer/shadowing experience has allowed you to get your feet wet in the profession, and perhaps instead of retakign the PCAT you should seek more experience to prove to ad-coms you've sufficiently tested your desire to become a pharmacist.

So, unless the schools you're applying to have a cutoff on subsection/composite scores, I wouldn't retake it unless you have the mind-set for it.

I'm not sure if anyone answered my question before.
But since today is the cancellation deadline, i would like a bit of help please.

So I got a 92 composite, but my scores for each section is pretty low. My quantitative basically boosted my score a lot. Its my first taking it.

My question is that will schools pay more attention to my composite score or the scores for each individual sections.

Thanks!

Well a LOR form a pharmacist/pharmacy experience is a gold standard for UT Austin and a requirement for Uni. of Houston. I personally have no paid work experience, but I volunteered as a pharmacy technician at a small clinic for over 100 hours. I also volunteered in the a hospital pharmacy and another clinic. Are you a certified pharmacy technician? If so, I recommended contacting local clinics with pharmacies and asking to volunteer (thats what i did). It was very had to get to know the pharmacists at the hospital i volunteered at, so a clinic might be better. Even if you decide not to apply this application cycle, you should start getting pharmacy experience asap.

Also, find something you like to do (meals on wheels, habitat humanity ect..) and stick with it. UT Austin really likes seeing that.

I'm not sure if anyone answered my question before.
But since today is the cancellation deadline, i would like a bit of help please.

So I got a 92 composite, but my scores for each section is pretty low. My quantitative basically boosted my score a lot. Its my first taking it.

My question is that will schools pay more attention to my composite score or the scores for each individual sections.

Thanks!

It varies. Your best bet it to call each school and ask them yourself.

Verbal-53
Biology-88
RC-20:mad::scared:
QA-88
Chem-98
Composite-84

I'm kind of freaking out, why the heck is my reading so low??!!! in the past two times i've taken it i've gotten 50 and 40 percentiles......and my scaled score is basically the same...FML

Can anyone tell me if they look at individual parts of the PCAT as well as past tests taken??

i just checked my pharmcas status, it says they just received my pcat score today not the scores weren't shown. i guess it's coming either today or tomorrow. oh my god, the waiting is nerve-wrecking

Have you not read any of the other posts in this thread???
I don't know how many times I have personally wrote that according to last year's timeline, they received theirs on a Wednesday approaching their 5th week.
It has also been stated multiple times that it could take the full 6 weeks, which is the time Pearson gives.
PharmCas indicated my pcat score was received just today. i guess, today or tomorrow i should receive the score. the wait is so nerve wrecking

PharmCAS won't post your scores, just that they have received them. Hope you get good news in the mail today!

Well, I got

Verbal: 50 :(
Reading: 20 :(
Quantitative: 82
Chemistry: 95
Composite: 80
Writing: 3/3

GPA: 3.9

What do you guys think? is my pcat score decent enough for pharmacy schools??

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Stop freaking out people. A 70 or higher can get you into a "prestigious, ranked" school. A 50 or higher can get you into other schools. Some even take scores in the 30s. The PCAT doesn't correlate with success in pharmacy school anyways, so grades and interviews basically get you admitted.

Yes. Stop freaking out people. A 70 or higher can get you into a "prestigious, ranked" school. A 50 or higher can get you into other schools. Some even take scores in the 30s. The PCAT doesn't correlate with success in pharmacy school anyways, so grades and interviews basically get you admitted.

if you don't mind me asking. What school are you attending and what were your stats?

Thank u! I feel a litte better now!

Is there any possibility of Pearson's making a mistake in grading RC section? I got 52 on it, however when I took the test, I felt like that was the only section I was good at. I see so many good scores posted here with high 80s and 90s in almost all the sections but RC being the lowest score!

I beg to differ. Even if your PCAT score isn't top-notch, it's adequate and consoled enough by your excellent GPA. You've proven that thus far you can handle the curriculum en route to a PharmD program.

Your volunteer/shadowing experience has allowed you to get your feet wet in the profession, and perhaps instead of retakign the PCAT you should seek more experience to prove to ad-coms you've sufficiently tested your desire to become a pharmacist.

So, unless the schools you're applying to have a cutoff on subsection/composite scores, I wouldn't retake it unless you have the mind-set for it.

Thanks that makes me calm down a bit. Only one of the schools in Texas specifically states 50 or above is accepted (in subsections and overall), last time I checked. I am going to apply this year.

Texas12 said:
Well a LOR form a pharmacist/pharmacy experience is a gold standard for UT Austin and a requirement for Uni. of Houston. I personally have no paid work experience, but I volunteered as a pharmacy technician at a small clinic for over 100 hours. I also volunteered in the a hospital pharmacy and another clinic. Are you a certified pharmacy technician? If so, I recommended contacting local clinics with pharmacies and asking to volunteer (thats what i did). It was very had to get to know the pharmacists at the hospital i volunteered at, so a clinic might be better. Even if you decide not to apply this application cycle, you should start getting pharmacy experience asap.

Also, find something you like to do (meals on wheels, habitat humanity ect..) and stick with it. UT Austin really likes seeing that.

Thanks. Where and how do you think I can find these clinics? Last time I tried to find them and it was not very encouraging because I called a few of them around my area and they didn't accept volunteers or shadows. How do you think I should go about finding a clinic?

I failed
composite 414 71
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
Chemistry
..430 85

Quantitative Ability
..390 24

Reading Comprehension
..408 58

Biology
..430 88

Verbal Ability
..412 68

..conventions : 3.5
problem solving 4.0

Thanks. Where and how do you think I can find these clinics? Last time I tried to find them and it was not very encouraging because I called a few of them around my area and they didn't accept volunteers or shadows. How do you think I should go about finding a clinic?

What city are you currently in? I'm asking, because It was very hard for me to find a position in Austin, but i found many options in Dallas (I was there for the summer).

I failed
composite 414 71
Chemistry
..430 85

Quantitative Ability
..390 24

Reading Comprehension
..408 58

Biology
..430 88

Verbal Ability
..412 68

problem solving 4.0

You did not "fail." Your chemistry, biology, and writing scores are very good. A 71 composite is not bad, and if you choose to take it again you now know what sections you need to focus on.

what are the ways to get experience in San Antonio? I dont any experience or any volunteering. can you give me some suggestion.

I am a biology major with a 3.63 gpa and a 3.7 science gpa and I am getting my BS in the spring

Biology- 71 (couldn't believe my eyes was positive it would be above 90)
Quantitative- 74
Read Comp- 52
Chem- 91
Verbal- 68
Composite- 77

Not to sound like a douche but I only studied for 2 weeks right before i took the test and even then i wasn't really going all out. Do you think I should retake? Is my score good enough to get me into Lecom-Erie, SUNY Buffalo, VCU, MCPHS-Worcester, or Thomas Jefferson?

I failed
composite 414 71
Chemistry
..430 85

Quantitative Ability
..390 24

Reading Comprehension
..408 58

Biology
..430 88

Verbal Ability
..412 68

problem solving 4.0

Dude, that's basically what I got (comp 71). I don't think I'm retaking in October. I am gonna apply with my stats now and see how it goes. I plan to retake though in January or June next year. As well as gaining more experience!

As people have said in this thread, 71 is not bad. I took the liberty to research this and some of the schools I am applying to average accepted PCAT (for those who enrolled) is like around 70 area. Ideally, of course they want good scores in the subsections too...but I would still not worry TOO much.

I also see that some people get accepted with 50 or less. So yeah.
what are the ways to get experience in San Antonio? I dont any experience or any volunteering. can you give me some suggestion.

I submitted 4 applications for volunteering throughout the San Antonio area hospitals. I suggest looking into hospital settings, as San Antonio has a good Medical Center area. I volunteer at St. Luke's Baptist, their pharmacy is not big and the hospital is smaller than other hospitals, but I like it. You learn a lot there. I suggest looking into those! (St Lukes, by the way, has a lot of volunteers, I don't think it's hard to get into it)

I am currently in San Antonio until December. I will be moving back to my hometown, Arlington, which is in the DFW Metroplex.

Start here > /www.freemedicalcamps.com/vcity.php?stateid=TX
Just call or email clinics. It doesn't hurt to try.

Edit: I initially thought you didn't have any pharmacy experience but I guess I read someone else's post. Anyways, you will have a lot of unique experiences volunteering at a indigent clinic. It gave me a lot to write about in my essays.

Last edited:
Start here > /www.freemedicalcamps.com/vcity.php?stateid=TX
Just call or email clinics. It doesn't hurt to try.

Edit: I initially thought you didn't have any pharmacy experience but I guess I read someone else's post. Anyways, you will have a lot of unique experiences volunteering at a indigent clinic. It gave me a lot to write about in my essays.

Thank you. But will it be too late for me? I have this semester and I am graduating in December. I am taking 18 hours as well as volunteering at the pharmacy hospital 6 hours a week. And shadowing at Walgreens for 3-6 hours a week. I don't know if I can fit any more in. And if I go back in January at Dallas, by that time it's not like I can use it in my essays for this cycle. But I guess it's good for my overall experience and if I were to improve my application for next cycle right? I am still applying this cycle though.

I failed
composite 414 71

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Chemistry
430 85
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Quantitative Ability

390 24
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Reading Comprehension

408 58
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Biology

430 88
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Verbal Ability

412 68
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
.conventions : 3.5
problem solving 4.0

Wow you're good at essays though. I literlly wrote 2 essays a day for a week, got it down to a science, and only got 3/3.

Also mandydp6 PharmCAS says it got my scores today (24th) so yours be in/come in soon as well, so we can both rest easy essentially.

Oh man at least now I can't get kicked out due to an incomplete application. Just had 3 hard exams in the last 2 days, I need a bit of peace of mind heh.

Best of luck to you all.

Checked my mail box a few minutes ago (TX)
First time taking, bombed RC

Verb 77
Bio 98
RC 24 :scared:
QA 96
Chem 96
Comp 93
GPA 3.5 (OV&Science)

Should I retake to increase my RC? English is my second language so I had a really hard time during the test.
Obviously, Collin's was the wrong method (only RC)

Checked my mail box a few minutes ago (TX)
First time taking, bombed RC

Verb 77
Bio 98
RC 24 :scared:
QA 96
Chem 96
Comp 93
GPA 3.5 (OV&Science)

Should I retake to increase my RC? English is my second language so I had a really hard time during the test.
Obviously, Collin's was the wrong method (only RC)

Great job on the 93! I would NOT retake if I got those scores

I have about 40 minutes to decide-- Should I register for the Oct. PCAT?

I got an 80 composite. Everything's in the high 80s and 70s except Chem., which was 43. Went into that test with only a gen chem background, and I just started taking Orgo this semester. Thanks!

I'm applying to UF, Maryland, UNC.. others

Verbal: 99
Reading Comp: 76
Quant: 61
Chem: 68

Writing 3/3

Composite: 90

would you recommend a re-take? the quant and chem are pretty bad but just on that borderline to where i don't know if it's worth it.

Verbal: 77
Biology: 96
Reading Comp: 76
Quant: 61
Chem: 93

Writing 3/3

Composite: 89

Second time taking it. Verbal- Dr. Collins, Reading- didn't knew how to prepare in that section , Bio & Chem - I basically reviewed by weak areas using cliff notes but what has helped me ace these sections was that I studied really well for them when I took those courses in College. Quant- Crammed for a day so that's the lowest subsection.

Just got my scores...

Verbal: 82
Biology: 84
RC: 91
QA: 93
Chemistry: 99
Composite: 97

I am satisfied. :D

Thanks! My situation's a little different though, because I had to contact Pearson to change my address shortly after I took the test. The lady that I spoke to told me that my scores would still be mailed to the old address, and they would only mail it to the new one should the envelope be returned to them. I'm not sure why they couldn't just send it to the new address to begin with since I updated them like 3 days after I took the test, so I might have to pay the $20 if it ends up getting lost or something. But I guess I'm still hoping that they just send it to the new address anyway.
Chances are small, but is anyone in the same situation?

The post office can solve your problem. Go to your local post office and fill the address change form. When you mail arrives, they will redirect it to your new address.
Hope that helps.

Wow you're good at essays though. I literlly wrote 2 essays a day for a week, got it down to a science, and only got 3/3.

Also mandydp6 PharmCAS says it got my scores today (24th) so yours be in/come in soon as well, so we can both rest easy essentially.

Oh man at least now I can't get kicked out due to an incomplete application. Just had 3 hard exams in the last 2 days, I need a bit of peace of mind heh.

Best of luck to you all.
[/LEFT]

Yup!! Mine was updated this morning :). Now we just have to wait for PharmCAS to send to the schools. Although I know that PharmCAS does their mailings every Monday, I've also been told there's a cut off time during the week to where if you're stuff is in after Wednesday, it will be two Mondays from then. I hope we don't have to wait two Mondays!!

I am a biology major with a 3.63 gpa and a 3.7 science gpa and I am getting my BS in the spring

Quantitative- 74
Read Comp- 52
Chem- 91
Verbal- 68
Composite- 77

Not to sound like a douche but I only studied for 2 weeks right before i took the test and even then i wasn't really going all out. Do you think I should retake? Is my score good enough to get me into Lecom-Erie, SUNY Buffalo, VCU, MCPHS-Worcester, or Thomas Jefferson?

So...Here are my scores. I don't even know if I should be happy or sad, so someone...Let me know how I should feel haha.

Verbal: 68 =[
Bio: 88
Chem: 64 D= (this is my favorite subject...)
Reading: 71
QA: 93
Composite: 83

Essays: 3/3

My GPA is a 4.0/4.0, and I currently have 3 leadership positions and pharmacy volunteer experience. I'm applying to UT Austin's pharm program this year, and I have no idea if I have a good chance now after getting these scores =[ Pretty bummed.

I failed
composite 414 71
Chemistry
430 85

Quantitative Ability
390 24

Reading Comprehension
408 58

Biology
430 88

Verbal Ability
412 68

conventions : 3.5
problem solving 4.0

It's really rare to see a 3.5/4.0 essay and your biology and chemistry scores are high. Biology and chemistry are the most important ones to score high in, good job imo.

here are my august pcat score:
biology 71
chem 58
verbal 58
reading 10-how did i do that badly
math 39-speed up
writing 3.0/3.0
composite 43

GPA: 3.7

I'm retaking the exam in October, any suggestions in how to improve my reading comprehension score? FOR MATH, I JUST need to be faster, i ran out of the time because i was so exhausted during the last portion of the exam.

Quantitative- 74
Read Comp- 52
Chem- 91
Verbal- 68
Composite- 77

I think u are crazy for wanting to retake it, u people are just too rediculous

here are my august pcat score:
biology 71
chem 58
verbal 58
math 39-speed up
writing 3.0/3.0
composite 43

I'm retaking the exam in October, any suggestions in how to improve my reading comprehension score? FOR MATH, I JUST need to be faster, i ran out of the time because i was so exhausted during the last portion of the exam.
u are not alone, I can't seem to ever get my reading up there but I'm def. not retaking it, I know pple in school P3 n P2 with worst scores

here are my august pcat score (first attempt):
biology 71
chem 58
verbal 58
math 39-speed up
writing 3.0/3.0
composite 43

i'm really worried and stressed now. because i don't want reading and math to ruin my other good scores. any suggestions?
progress.gif
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=10170316

is anyone trying to get their reading comprehension rescored? better yet, has anyone ever successfully gained back any points from a rescore? my reading was wayy too low (20) compared to the last 2 times i've taken it (45 and 50). pearson sucks.