pcat scores for 8-21-10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkiskadd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So does anyone think we'll start to see the scores this weekend or do you think we'll have to wait til next weekend?

Members don't see this ad.

I just opened my scores. This was the first time I have taken the PCAT. Here are my scores.

Verbal: 77
Biology: 96
Reading Comprheension 71
Quantitative 74
Chemistry 96

Composite 92
Writing 3.0/3.0

Should I be worried about the 70s scores. When I first glanced at my scores I saw the 92 composite and was very happy (my goal was above 80 composite), but when I saw 3 scores in the 70s I was a little worried. I'm actually proud of the 74 math because I felt CLUELESS on that section. Any comments much appreciated. My gpa is 3.55

I just opened my scores. This was the first time I have taken the PCAT. Here are my scores.

Reading Comprheension 71
Quantitative 74
Chemistry 96

Composite 92
Writing 3.0/3.0

Should I be worried about the 70s scores. When I first glanced at my scores I saw the 92 composite and was very happy (my goal was above 80 composite), but when I saw 3 scores in the 70s I was a little worried. I'm actually proud of the 74 math because I felt CLUELESS on that section. Any comments much appreciated. My gpa is 3.55

:thumbup:

Reading Comprheension 71
Quantitative 74
Chemistry 96

Composite 92
Writing 3.0/3.0

High 90's in bio and chem, plus a 92 composite...methinks you're golden! Nice job!

Members don't see this ad :)
here are my august pcat score (first attempt):
biology 71
chem 58
verbal 58
reading 10-how did i do that badly
math 39-speed up
writing 3.0/3.0
composite 43

GPA: 3.7

I'm retaking the exam in October, any suggestions in how to improve my reading comprehension score? FOR MATH, I JUST need to be faster, i ran out of the time because i was so exhausted during the last portion of the exam.
i'm really worried and stressed now. because i don't want reading and math to ruin my other good scores. any suggestions?
progress.gif
Hey! Im actually on the same page as you, like I got close to the same composite as you and a 10 on Reading comprehension!!!that dragged me down so much I was shocked? im worried to because October is my last chance and I want at least in the 50's lol...Did you submit your application already?

Reading Comprheension 71
Quantitative 74
Chemistry 96

Composite 92
Writing 3.0/3.0

Do you actually think that is bad or you Just want attention and feel better about yourself? I'm joking but you should know that is a very good score. Be happy about it.

I don't understand why people ask if they should retake if they got over 90...

Do you actually think that is bad or you Just want attention and feel better about yourself? I'm joking but you should know that is a very good score. Be happy about it.

Okay here are my scores from the first time and the second time i took it.... The first time I took it was was a nervous wreck and time mangement was probably the biggest help with improving my scores. I study really hard 2 weeks for the second test. I don't know what happened to my math score though
icon_e_confused.gif
I got the scores by mail and live in Texas.

1st
Verbal Ability 395, 40
Biology 408, 61
Reading 379, 16
Quantitative 408, 55
Chemistry 300, 43
Composite 398, 39

2nd
Verbal Ability 412, 68 (28+)
Biology 421, 80 (19+)
Reading 408, 58 (42+)
Quantitative 384, 16 (39-):scared:
Chemistry 418, 72 (29+)
Composite 409, 62 (23+)
Writing 3/3 same as first time.

So I'm applying to Texas pharmacy schools and I don't really want to take another test... Does anyone think I have a chance for this cycle? I'm happy that my scores went up but I'm also depressed that they are not as high as I would like them to be.

Oh my gpa is about 3.9 no bachelor's degree yet and I'm looking for some volunteering atm.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people ask if they should retake if they got over 90...

I never asked if I should retake- I would never go through that again i was just unsure if the low reading scores and verbal (70s) would make it look like I'm all science (bio and chme 96) and not well rounded.

SOOOOO glad it's over!

I submitted 4 applications for volunteering throughout the San Antonio area hospitals. I suggest looking into hospital settings, as San Antonio has a good Medical Center area. I volunteer at St. Luke's Baptist, their pharmacy is not big and the hospital is smaller than other hospitals, but I like it. You learn a lot there. I suggest looking into those! (St Lukes, by the way, has a lot of volunteers, I don't think it's hard to get into it)

You can try Metropolitan Methodist Hospital. I used to volunteer out there. Also you guys can look at Christus Santa Rosa Hospital- City Center.

So...Here are my scores. I don't even know if I should be happy or sad, so someone...Let me know how I should feel haha.

Verbal: 68 =[
Bio: 88
Chem: 64 D= (this is my favorite subject...)
Reading: 71
QA: 93
Composite: 83

Essays: 3/3

My GPA is a 4.0/4.0, and I currently have 3 leadership positions and pharmacy volunteer experience. I'm applying to UT Austin's pharm program this year, and I have no idea if I have a good chance now after getting these scores =[ Pretty bummed.

You should still be able to get in with those scores. The only thing about UT- Austin is that they tend to look at the individual scores instead of the composite score. They also prefer/recommend that each sub-scores are >70th %ile.

You should still be able to get in with those scores. The only thing about UT- Austin is that they tend to look at the individual scores instead of the composite score. They also prefer/recommend that each sub-scores are >70th %ile.

http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/admissionsfall10.pdf

Here is a useful statistics pdf UT-Austin posted up that gives insightful information on what type of students they accept based on GPA, PCAT, and if they are degree holding or not.

I have a question, can composit scaled score 377 be 8 percentile rank???? if 400 is about 50s, how 377SS be 8PR?????
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question, can composit scaled score 377 be 8 percentile rank???? if 400 is about 50s, how 377SS be 8PR?????
Thanks

My 408 last year was a 60. My 437 this year came out to a 95. So i could see it.

here are my august pcat score:
biology 71
chem 58
verbal 58
reading 10-how did i do that badly
math 39-speed up
writing 3.0/3.0
composite 43

GPA: 3.7

I'm retaking the exam in October, any suggestions in how to improve my reading comprehension score? FOR MATH, I JUST need to be faster, i ran out of the time because i was so exhausted during the last portion of the exam.

Practice with MCAT reading passages.

I actually think you're right, 50% is about the cut off for most schools (well at least for mine which had me freaked out a bit since I had no idea how I did). But it is your first time and you still have a bit to prep and get in the 'mindset' of taking such a rigorous test (ie get pacing down, work on essays, etc). You can only go up from here since experience is everything in these exams.

And a 3.5 is still good, most accepted averages are around a 3.3. A pharmacy tech is a great edge to have as well, I only have shadowing so at least in my view it's a plus.

Honestly it sounds like Dr. Collins may be a good investment. I used McGraw Hill, Kaplan, Barrons, and a few ACS Chemistry review guides so honestly I have NO other resources left to tap into. It's a bit expensive, but it sounds like it does get you in the mindset of the test.

Oh definitely buy the practice exams from Pearson. I got my pacing down to a fine science thanks to them.

Hey did you find the ASC chemistry book (the one given in College) helpful for preping for chemistry? I did horrible in chem 43%...how did you prep for chem? hellpppp:eek:

Okay here are my scores from the first time and the second time i took it.... The first time I took it was was a nervous wreck and time mangement was probably the biggest help with improving my scores. I study really hard 2 weeks for the second test. I don't know what happened to my math score though
icon_e_confused.gif
I got the scores by mail and live in Texas.

1st
Verbal Ability 395, 40
Biology 408, 61
Reading 379, 16
Quantitative 408, 55
Chemistry 300, 43
Composite 398, 39

2nd
Verbal Ability 412, 68 (28+)
Biology 421, 80 (19+)
Reading 408, 58 (42+)
Quantitative 384, 16 (39-):scared:
Chemistry 418, 72 (29+)
Composite 409, 62 (23+)
Writing 3/3 same as first time.

So I'm applying to Texas pharmacy schools and I don't really want to take another test... Does anyone think I have a chance for this cycle? I'm happy that my scores went up but I'm also depressed that they are not as high as I would like them to be.

Oh my gpa is about 3.9 no bachelor's degree yet and I'm looking for some volunteering atm.
Hey congrats! how many hours a day did you prepare for the 2nd time?

1st Oct 09
Verbal Ability 404, 55
Biology 414, 71
Reading 363, 5
Quantitative 420, 74
Chemistry 430, 85
Composite 406, 56
Writing 3/3

2nd Aug 10
Verbal Ability 437, 92 (37+)
Biology 421, 80 (9+)
Reading 400, 45 (40+)
Quantitative 417, 70 (4-)
Chemistry 449, 95 (10+)
Composite 449, 86 (30+)
Writing 3.5/3.5

Hey did you find the ASC chemistry book (the one given in College) helpful for preping for chemistry? I did horrible in chem 43%...how did you prep for chem? hellpppp:eek:

It was quite useful I found, got me ready for the ACS final I took and I did well on it. (I got a 55/70 (way above average of 27 or so) on my ACS final but did pretty average on PCAT no idea how that works out heh).

They sell it on Amazon, a lot easier to buy from (you have to Fax forms I believe to get it directly from ACS, which is annoying).

http://www.amazon.com/Preparing-your-examination-general-chemistry/dp/B0006R3054
http://www.amazon.com/Preparing-your-examination-organic-chemistry/dp/0970804210

There's links to cheap prices of both, they're both pretty useful I have found since you kind of have to twist you knowledge in chemistry to apply it in multiple choice settings and this helped me do that. Good luck.

1st Oct 09
Verbal Ability 404, 55
Biology 414, 71
Reading 363, 5
Quantitative 420, 74
Chemistry 430, 85
Composite 406, 56
Writing 3/3

2nd Aug 10
Biology 421, 80 (9+)
Reading 400, 45 (40+)
Chemistry 449, 95 (10+)
Composite 449, 86 (30+)
Writing 3.5/3.5

Awesome! What a great improvement...nicely done! :thumbup:

I had to take the ACS final for both gen chem and o-chem courses, and those study guides I would say were more than sufficient for PCAT chemistry. I scored in the 97th percentile on the ACS o-chem exam, and a month later took the PCAT and scored a 91 in that section. That is the one and only section I'm proud of!

Hey congrats! how many hours a day did you prepare for the 2nd time?

Within two to three weeks and enough hours to get through nearly all of the Kaplan, a Chemistry review book and bio review book. The score isn't up to where I would like it to be but thanks! Personally if I had the chance to go back in time during the summer, I would have studied a lot more, cramming that much information into two to three weeks was not the wisest choice.

1st Oct 09
Verbal Ability 404, 55
Biology 414, 71
Reading 363, 5
Quantitative 420, 74
Chemistry 430, 85
Composite 406, 56
Writing 3/3

2nd Aug 10
Biology 421, 80 (9+)
Reading 400, 45 (40+)
Chemistry 449, 95 (10+)
Composite 449, 86 (30+)
Writing 3.5/3.5

Those scores are really nice congrats!

1st Oct 09
Verbal Ability 404, 55
Biology 414, 71
Reading 363, 5
Quantitative 420, 74
Chemistry 430, 85
Composite 406, 56
Writing 3/3

2nd Aug 10
Biology 421, 80 (9+)
Reading 400, 45 (40+)
Chemistry 449, 95 (10+)
Composite 449, 86 (30+)
Writing 3.5/3.5

nicely done!

I hear that pearson calculates the composite score based on the best scores you made every time you took the test. say like you scored a 20 on your reading comprehension this past PCAT, but in the past you scored a 50, they take the 50 into consideration when deciding the composite. Is this true?

Verbal Ability 406, 58
Biology 402, 51
Reading 412, 65
Quantitative 522, 99
Chemistry 418, 72
Composite 432, 92
Writing 3/3

First time taking PCAT, I used Dr. Collins, and Kaplan (for bio). I'm just really strong in math, which boosted my score up a lot.

Thinking about taking again in October, cuz everything except math does look too pretty :lame:

Verbal Ability 406, 58
Biology 402, 51
Reading 412, 65
Quantitative 522, 99
Chemistry 418, 72
Composite 432, 92
Writing 3/3

First time taking PCAT, I used Dr. Collins, and Kaplan (for bio). I'm just really strong in math, which boosted my score up a lot.

Thinking about taking again in October, cuz everything except math does look too pretty :lame:

you're crazy! that's a very good score in my opinion :)

Verbal 50
Biology 76
Reading Comp 58
Quantitative 65
Chemistry 99

Composite 84

Do you guys think that these scores are competitive? Do you think a retake would be a good idea or not? I don't want to take it again if it isn't necessary so what do you guys think?

Do you guys think that these scores are competitive? Do you think a retake would be a good idea or not? I don't want to take it again if it isn't necessary so what do you guys think?

How come your scores for the subsections are so similar (but in different subsections) yet your composite scores are almost 10 percentile apart? Does it really matter that much which section you excel in?

Last edited:
Verbal Ability 406, 58
Biology 402, 51
Reading 412, 65
Quantitative 522, 99
Chemistry 418, 72
Composite 432, 92
Writing 3/3

522 scaled score in quant, WOW!:eek: That is the best scaled score for one section that I have ever seen! Is that even possible? You must have really owned that section...

My 99% in bio was from a 466, and a 442 in quant gave me a 93%.

Last edited:
How come your scores for the subsections are so similar (but in different subsections) yet your composite scores are almost 10 percentile apart? Does it really matter that much which section you excel in?

Because Pearson calculates your composite based on your scaled scores. He must have aced everything on the quant section giving him a score that is many standard deviations away from the mean. While a 470 on the math is likely going to be in the 99th percentile, so is a 522 even though it has a greater impact on the composite score. Although, it may be reasonable to think that his insanely high scaled score of 522 could also have been a mistake on Pearson's part.

And whether this is fair or not is a whole other issue :p

Because Pearson calculates your composite based on your scaled scores. He must have aced everything on the quant section giving him a score that is many standard deviations away from the mean. While a 470 on the math is likely going to be in the 99th percentile, so is a 522 even though it has a greater impact on the composite score. Although, it may be reasonable to think that his insanely high scaled score of 522 could also have been a mistake on Pearson's part.

got it, thanks for the prompt reply

Can someone evaluate my scores?

Verbal: 73
Reading Comprheension 75
Quantitative 74
Chemistry 96

Composite 92
Writing 3.0/3.0

I have Dr. Collin's package to sell for $170 includes the junes Pcat update. anyone interested send me a private message

yeah unlike all my other subjects, im really good in math (not to be cocky or anything). like i went to a high school that was really competitive in math and science. But yeah, I'm used to doing math questions at a very high pace, and I barely had anytime left to check. and I heard from many people who ran out of time and had to guess on half of it. So yeah I think the math section is pretty tough given the amount of time.

Ok I made my account a while ago and just remembered that I even had one...

For aug 2010 (1st try)

Verbal: 86
Biology: 91
Reading Comp: 52 D: :eek:
Quantitative: 93
Chemistry: 98
Composite: 94
Essay: 3/3

Can anyone tell me how bad that 52 on the reading comp is going to look? I think that I can read if I've gotten this far and I did fine on all my other sections. I don't know if I should retake this in October or not. I did fine on every practice I did but reading comp kicked my butt that day. My GPA is a 3.43... I really don't want to retake it because school is crazy this semester.

1st Oct 09
Verbal Ability 404, 55
Biology 414, 71
Reading 363, 5
Quantitative 420, 74
Chemistry 430, 85
Composite 406, 56
Writing 3/3

2nd Aug 10
Biology 421, 80 (9+)
Reading 400, 45 (40+)
Chemistry 449, 95 (10+)
Composite 449, 86 (30+)
Writing 3.5/3.5

Your Aug 2010 composite is 425

Is it the composite score or the individual scores that schools focus on more? I got an 86 composite score, but my reading comp and verbal are both in the 50s. So I'm a little apprehensive about that right now. I've already signed up for the October test, but I don't know if I should retake it. Thoughts?

Is anyone here hasn't got their Aug PCAT scores in the mail? Mine hasn't come yet:( I don't want to waste $20 because I have been been waiting patiently since Tuesday. If anyone is in the same situation, please let me know. I hope mine is not lost!!! Thanks!

I failed
composite 414 71
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
Chemistry
..430 85

Quantitative Ability
..390 24

Reading Comprehension
..408 58

Biology
..430 88

Verbal Ability
..412 68

..conventions : 3.5
problem solving 4.0

I failed more.

Verbal Ability 68
Biology 91
Reading Comprehension 65
Quantitative Ability 39
Chemistry 58
Composite 69
Writing 3.0/3.0

Congrats to everyone. Still applying because I assume there are not that many 90s in the real world. I may be wrong.

is anyone trying to get their reading comprehension rescored? better yet, has anyone ever successfully gained back any points from a rescore? my reading was wayy too low (20) compared to the last 2 times i've taken it (45 and 50). pearson sucks.

I've tried the exact thing before, but my score did not change at all...

The only section that I think is worth rescoring are the writing parts since they are subjective marks.

I failed more.

Verbal Ability 68
Biology 91
Reading Comprehension 65
Quantitative Ability 39
Chemistry 58
Composite 69
Writing 3.0/3.0

Congrats to everyone. Still applying because I assume there are not that many 90s in the real world. I may be wrong.

Apply! Apply apply apply! Most of these people get off by lying about their scores anyway, so don't let it get you down. My friend got into UF (yes UF!) with a 61 composite, so who cares what your PCAT is. They look at the whole application. Some people get 99s but lack social skills...that's why they interview everyone. I don't care if you're a good standardized test taker, and neither do pharmacy schools. They want people who will be GOOD PHARMACISTS! :D

Is anyone still waiting on PharmCAS to show that their new scores have been received? Mine still only shows my old test. :confused: I'm wondering if I should start harassing PharmCAS and Pearson like I had to do last year.

my scores (first time)

verbal 69
bio 71
chm 69
read 81
math 69
composite 74

have a 4.0 gpa. should i retake? and if so, what should i do/use to improve?

Is anyone still waiting on PharmCAS to show that their new scores have been received? Mine still only shows my old test. :confused: I'm wondering if I should start harassing PharmCAS and Pearson like I had to do last year.

Pharmcas stated my scores were received on the 24th. I don't know if pharmcas sent them to my schools yet since none of them have received the test scores. I was told they usually send them out on mondays.