OSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About a week ago, I got in touch with a family friend- a family friend who just happens to be on the Oklahoma State Board of Regents for Higher Education!- and he agreed to put in a call to the school on my behalf. He called again to let me know he had talked with the school and their feedback was the following: 1) I didn't have enough sciences (WHAT?!? This is my third application cycle and they are just now telling me?!?) 2) I need to increase my MCAT score (This part I already knew, and trust me I've tried) 3) I'm not being aggressive enough (How can that be? I worked as a nurse aide for over a year to get hospital experience and I'm now working in a clinic in a position well below my potential solely to continue to improve my application, I call the school constantly to check on my status, I've shadowed several different physicians, and I'm having this guy call on my behalf!) So, needless to say, last night I was pretty bummed. But this morning, I jumped back on the horse and called Leah Haines directly. Thankfully, the information about not having enough sciences was incorrect, I'm fine in that area. As far as being aggressive, she said I'm doing everything right. She basically said the only thing holding me back is my MCAT. My scores will be released Monday at 5pm, so hopefully, they will have increased and there will be nothing else holding me back.

On a much cooler note, I had Implanon (the implantable birth control that lasts 3 years) inserted into my arm today, and it was really cool to watch. It's creepy stuff like giant needles driving into and under my skin that, for me, confirms I want to be a doctor :)

Sorry for all the ranting and raving and the long post, it's hard for other people to understand what this whole process is like unless you have gone/are going through it yourself.

sorry to burst your bubble, but the test scores for 1/30 and 1/31 dont come out till tuesday, not monday! Ill be watching too!

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh, I actually realized that last night. I had checked the MCAT website last week, and for some reason I had it in my head March the 3rd was Monday. What's another 24 hours to wait, right? :oops:

I know, i wish it was like last time this year when scores were released early (friday instead if monday)

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my waitlist letter in the mail today.

congrats! I know its not what you're really looking for but it keeps the door cracked!

I interviewed thurs. I counted 14 mentions that the waitlist is definately not a bad thing. Apparently, nearly half of the class is typically drawn from the WL.

Theres alot of students that apply throughout many universities and as with the DO stigma, many are accepted and turn down that acceptance in favor of another school thats MD.

Its not something I would do, but it happens which really helps those on the waitlists.

I think the waitlist is a good place to be. Last year I was rejected so this is a improvment. I think that next week OU will accept the other half "maybe less" of their students and that will open some spots at OSU.

Does anyone happen to know off the top of their heads, the "final dates for acceptance" or whatever. The date that people absolutely have to decide where they are going. I can't remember when that is for the life of me, but I know that several spots will open up at that date or a few days passed it. People that have been juggling multiple acceptances will be forced to make a decision. Good luck to everyone and keep your head up.

On a lighter note, whats everyone doing for spring break?

we are headed to red river nm over spring break to ski. should be a good vacation prob our last for a few years if I get into med school.

The date is in April, but changes from year to year if i remember correct.

I'll be in VeGaS for spring break! woohooo

Does anyone happen to know off the top of their heads, the "final dates for acceptance" or whatever. The date that people absolutely have to decide where they are going. I can't remember when that is for the life of me, but I know that several spots will open up at that date or a few days passed it. People that have been juggling multiple acceptances will be forced to make a decision. Good luck to everyone and keep your head up.

On a lighter note, whats everyone doing for spring break?

Pretty sure the deadline was May 15 last year to say whether or not you were going to retain your spot, otherwise you would lose your deposit if you gave up your spot after May 15. So you could still give up your spot after may 15, but some people will declare by then to get their deposit. Helps waitlisters a little.

I just checked the website, the date for this year is april 15. if you are not enrolled by that date you loose your deposit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking summer break (We've got a Neuro exam the mond or tues coming back from spring break) in one of 3 places.
1. Europe - Flying to Spain, then taking trains around for a couple of weeks.
2. Hawaii - Finding a secluded resort for a couple of weeks
3. East Coast of US - Driving to see what we haven't... Basically just traveling up and down the east coast for a couple of weeks...
4. Open to suggestions if anyone has a good idea on how to spend a couple of weeks. Preferably for under 6K...

I can't really speak for spring break for years passed 1st, but we don't really get one, so I'm thinking my last "free" summer will be a killer. :thumbup:

I would say that the week of April 13th - 17th should see alot of movement up and down the waitlist...

My sister did a 2 week thing through italy and switzerland that was amazing. She bought back pics and got visit exclusive places through this travel package. It came out to about 2500 per personal for hotels, flights, etc. Only other costs were optional meals (most provided), add-ons (she added on visit to switzerland and an additional day in rome to visit libraries and such), and souvenirs.

Alaska is amazing....truly beautiful....if you are ok with cool weather.

If you prefer warmer regions then definately look into fiji.....fantastic snorkeling and truly an adventure.

T

Ya Alaska is definitely on the Radar, but I hadn't thought alot about Fiji yet. That's a good one. We've been on 2 cruises in 3 years and are kinda looking at a different route possible. I'm really wanting to find a place that I can be a total bum if the mood strikes me, or we can pick up and have plenty to go do.

Italy also sounds good. Man the choices.. haha. I'm an antique collector and I love older styles so the "old" europe has alot of appeal.

Questions: Got my MCAT score....

I have a 27P (9,9,9)
My cGPA is 3.97 my sGPA is 3.92
Main EC's: Shadowed ER floor for ~50 hours
---------- One completed summer of research (3 months = 400+ hrs)
---------- One additional summer this summer
---------- misc community service

Do I have a decent chance at OSU?

So, my MCAT score did not go up. I have spent the morning looking into different study courses, and the most appealing thus far is ExamKrackers at home study course. For all the supplies, it's going to be around $600 (much more affordable then a $2,000 Princeton or Kaplan course) but I was hoping for some feedback from people who have used it. I would sure appreciate any pros/cons on ExamKrackers, or if you suggest a different route, which one and why? Thanks!

03 you should try hawaii, goto the big island you will find some pretty nice vacation spots and some nice party spots. It isn't to tourist filled like other parts are. I almost stayed there after my enlistment in the USMC was up. Snorkeling, Diving, Helicopter Tours, Volcano's, you name it it's there.

Saylor - I'm going to start checkin on prices here pretty soon. How long of a flight is Ha from Tulsa??

Phlame - Statistically you have a really strong app. With that said, OSU prides itself on taking a broad range of students. You're interview is probably the only "undecided". The impression that you make will be the determiner. Congrats on the score, thats a huge step on the path.

Chi - I have a close friend that did the exam krackers. He studies extremely well on is own, so it was a good fit for him. I swallowed the fee and paid for Kaplan. We both got a 26, he retook 2 months later, studying further with exam krackers, and got a 30 on his retake. So take from that what you will. I'm one of those guys that needs a set class time, so I chose the kaplan route as a scheduled class is better for me. It is more expensive for kaplan, BUT its pretty minor compared to your future as a physician (assuming that the MCAT is the only thing holding you back.)

Thanks for the input Bailey. Did you think the Kaplan course was worth it though? From what I've read online, it seems like it is still mostly studying on your own and the class portion is for asking questions. If that's not what it's like, please enlighten me :)

around 8hr flight to honolulu from dallas not sure about tulsa.

Well my class was taught by local seniors that had taken Kaplan, scored well and been accepted. It was really like a "class". We would work through the notes provided to you, stop if anyone had a question, then continue through the packet. It was nice to be able to work with people that are in the same boat and that you can ask questions to. We had 3 or 4 mock MCATS set up, plus access to all the online ones you could want. They provide you with tons of homework, but its all to cover their butt's in that "guaranteed" score stuff. If you work through all of their material, attend every class, and take the mock tests, I would guarantee a high 20's score. Its one of those, you get out of it what you put in. Once again, I felt the price was high, but well worth it considering the long term affects....

I did the exam krackers and went from a kow 20s with no studying.and did the examkrackers at homr course with no 1001 books but I did use the verbal 101 book. I had great success in combrehending and retaining material with it. I have the full set of study books and the verbal 101 and ill sell to you if you want for a descent price

Will OSU-COM do all that it can to make sure each entering class is FULL? Or has a class ever been a couple seats below the max limit allowed?

jejab, im pretty sure they will be full by the time they enter the 1st day, ive hurd of situations where people get called up the day before classes so that they can have a full roster

I ordered my white coat today! I'm so excited for next year! I hope everything turns out well for those of you still waiting to hear!

I think ALOT has to do with your personal preference and study habits. I personally DESPISE KAPLAN and probably wouldn't use them or their products for any standardized test ever again. I was really fortunate and my mom saved up for about a year so she could buy the kaplan course for me and I was VERY excited! The class was taught by a guy I actually went to undergrad with who had just been accepted to medical school and he got a 37 on his MCAT (SUPER SMART GUY!!). The class was semi-helpful. To me it felt like undergrad science at hyperspeed. Good really quick review but nothing to really help out with the test. I studied A LOT for the MCAT despite working and going to school full time. I did all the homework like I was supposed to, took every practice test they offered+some, and went to every class. I ended up studying for about 6 months taking a totall of 15 full length practice tests including some of the AAMC tests. That first test they give you to gauge where you are, I think I got an 18 on it. But I studied really hard and by my next practice test I was scoring 25+ and then got up to a consistent 27-30. After 15 full length tests (not to mention all the mini section tests and topical tests), I was pretty confident my score would be good enough. I got plenty of sleep, wasn't nervous on test day, and it was an overall good experience. A month later I go to check my score and see 7-7-7 (21). I was completely devasted and could not believe a 7-10 point discrepency like that! I dunno, maybe I am just bitter about it (let's be honest here, the MCAT is a B&$*CH!!) but I did everything I was supposed to do and then some and they were nowhere close on gauging me on how I was actually doing and that led to a false sense of security. I took it a couple months later and got a slightly better score but not much.
I had MANY friends tell me that ExamKrackers did wonders for them. If I had it to do over again, I would invest in the 1001 question books from examkrackers and save my other $1500 for something more useful. Like I said, everyone is different and this is JUST MY OPINION. ExamKrackers seem to have more high yield results with students from what I see.
One piece of advice though, DO NOT get bogged down with this horrible test. It is a hoop you must get through but it in NO WAY gauges how you will perform in medical school. I have done pretty well so far and I have never had any of these core classes we have taken and I just study really hard, put the time it, and it usually pays off on test day. Just don't get down about that stupid test.

well, i accepted a spot at another school, so my spot will be opening up for one of the wait-listers.

So, my MCAT score did not go up. I have spent the morning looking into different study courses, and the most appealing thus far is ExamKrackers at home study course. For all the supplies, it's going to be around $600 (much more affordable then a $2,000 Princeton or Kaplan course) but I was hoping for some feedback from people who have used it. I would sure appreciate any pros/cons on ExamKrackers, or if you suggest a different route, which one and why? Thanks!

examkrackers, no question. if you have the discipline to put in time on your own then i think examkrackers is hands-down your best bet. the information is incredibly well organized and presented in a way that really facilitates easy digestion. in contrast, kaplan and princeton are basically cliffs notes for science and very very dry. personally, while studying with examkrackers i raised my mcat from a 27 to a 31, which isn't an amazing score, but i'm pretty pleased with it.

the 1001 questions books (all of them) are great. i would suggest shelling out for the whole study package and then buying the 1001 questions separately.

good luck.

Thanks so much for everyone's input! I am going to try and talk to Leah Haines at the school today, and if she says taking the MCAT again is what I need to do, I'm going to try to sign up for June and buy the ExamKrackers. Best case scenario, I won't have to do any of it, but I'm not really counting on that.

save your money, ill sell you my copy of the ek stuff dor cheaper than the new i its all in insanely good condition. i even have a copy of audio osmosis which helps alot for auditory learners

Questions: Got my MCAT score....

I have a 27P (9,9,9)
My cGPA is 3.97 my sGPA is 3.92
Main EC's: Shadowed ER floor for ~50 hours
---------- One completed summer of research (3 months = 400+ hrs)
---------- One additional summer this summer
---------- misc community service

Do I have a decent chance at OSU?

you have an awesome chanve at osu....especially if you are from Oklahoma

So I used Examkrackers to study and made a 15 or so on a practice test, I took the PR course and ended up with a 26. I think i read earlier that this is your second or third time applying, why dont you apply to more DO schools?

Got my waitlist letter today. I'll admit that I am very excited to have made it this far.

i got an email from sarah q saying this is the last week of interviews and no more files are going to be reviewed for interviews.....meaning i got rejected....oh well i got accepted elsewhere!

Sorry! Im glad you got in elsewhere!

I'm leaving for vegas in about 6 and a half hours! Sawwwing!

Y'all have fun now, y'hear!

Thought the forum could use a little bump, as I sit in a breakout room studying neuro, while its 80 degrees and sunny out....:cool:

03 good luck with neuro I am in red river nm and have been beating myself up on the slopes for three days now. it is torture but someone has to do it.

haha, thanks guys. I can see how medical school can make you into an angry individual. It wouldn't be so bad if it was 35 degrees out and snowing.. ;) I guess the bright side ( if there is one) is that we have a week of no lecture to learn all this stuff. If we are going to have a really hard exam, I like the idea of having a whole week to learn it.

Saylor- Live it up.. :):thumbup:

Mom- My email is screwed up, what time is the signing over today??

I have a interview for the bridge program on april 9. anyone else heard anything?

Tall gal did you get on waitlist at Osu?

Has anyone ever been accepted to OSU-COM recently with an MCAT score lower than 26?

yea there has, but they arn't on this forum.

What do you mean they are not on this forum? Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.