OSU-COM class of 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At this point, I am thinking General Internal Medicine...I agree with jr87 however...infectious disease sounds interesting...It is interesting to see that only two of us so far are into primary care...weird for a school that pushes it so much...

Members don't see this ad.

At this point, I am thinking General Internal Medicine...I agree with jr87 however...infectious disease sounds interesting...It is interesting to see that only two of us so far are into primary care...weird for a school that pushes it so much...

Peds and EM are considered primary care.

In most states and loan-payback programs, EM is not considered primary care. I believe that OK is an exception on that, but it has been a while since I looked into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Under the federal program though em is seen as a public health sector job and qualifies for the 10 year forgiveness program which includes residency time.

But that isn't the same as calling it primary care, which is what I was responding to.

I know I wasn't trying to contradict you I was just trying to show other alternatives too.

We are selling our home in Sapulpa. It was built in 2006 and is 3br, 2baths, and 2 car garage, 1409 sq feet. Its been a great place, I just have to move for residency. It takes 20 mins to get from my garage to the school. Also, a lot of the required rotation sites are over here on the west side of Tulsa (Sapulpa, Cushing, Bristow, Drumright), so it has been especially easy commuting over to those. Our neighborhood is a nice, new, extremely quiet neighborhood. Here is a link to a little flier we worked up: http://www.mediafire.com/?nbwzzmgmjyn, and I have plenty of pictures to email if you are interested. It is a really open floor plan with high ceilings. Please email me ( [email protected] ) if you have any questions.

GL on the house sale, sorry I couldn't be of further help about it.

Hey Bob - has the Osteopathic residency match already happened/posted results? If so, do you know how OSU did?

Yes, but I don't have any official results. I can give you a quick run down. 5/5 got ortho, 1 in OKC the rest out of state. 1 Neurosurg in Michigan, 1 Urology in WV, 2 ENT (Philly and Ohio), 3 Gen Surg, maybe more(2 OSU, 1 fort worth), 8 EM that I know about (4 OSU, 3 OKC, 1 Rhode Island), everybody that wanted IM or FM got it where they wanted, OB (1 Ohio, 1 OSU, and ??), 3 anesthesia (all OSU)

I think there are some general surgery people that didn't match, but I don't think they applied to hardly any programs. In general for the osteopathic match, if you are willing to go wherever in the US, you will get a spot. Ortho, Neurosurgery, anesthesia, Urology, etc all had open spots after the match in different programs across the country (mostly Ohio and Michigan).

Wow, looks like a good round for most people

Admitted students day is Saturday, correct? We will be having an open house all-day Saturday for those of you interested. Our address is 17 W Fairlane DR, Sapulpa, OK 74066. We will put some balloons or something on the mail box, but there won't be an open house sign.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I thought that admitted student day was terrible!

Only because now I am excited to start and we have to wait six long months.
Seriously I enjoyed today, glad I went.

I second JustOnes sentiment! Great day meeting some classmates and dreaming about new few years

I too had a good time! Good putting some SDN Handles with faces and names! Now its just a matter of staying motivated and passing classes.

I must have missed the whole connecting SDN handles with names and faces thing...lame...but I agree...definite good time...

I must have missed the whole connecting SDN handles with names and faces thing...lame...but I agree...definite good time...
Ok tt, you're from Iowa, right. I remember seeing you there. I was wearing a black and white checkered houndstooth jacket. So now you know who I am at least ;).

Ok tt, you're from Iowa, right. I remember seeing you there. I was wearing a black and white checkered houndstooth jacket. So now you know who I am at least ;).

Thanks...I remember you...I believe we were in the same small group...?

Just One and I were in the same group and it seemed like we were the only ones asking questions as well. There were a few others, but for the most part, we asked the majority of the questions. Maybe we just talk too much.

Just One and I were in the same group and it seemed like we were the only ones asking questions as well. There were a few others, but for the most part, we asked the majority of the questions. Maybe we just talk too much.

Thats because our wives are overbearing and don't let us speak when they are around. :caution: :wow:

Haha not even married and already there. Usually doesn't bother me much though...

She knows not to EVER take me seriously. Benefit of being married 10+ years

So, what does everyone think about the whole book buying situation? It seems like there are very mixed reviews...

Don't buy any books in advance, maybe with the exception of an anatomy atlas (Netter, IMO). If you decide you want the book after you start the course, you can still get it, but you may find that the course notes are sufficient. Also, sometimes the best book to learn from isn't the assigned course book but is either another text or a review book.

I'm a book junkie and bought (and read) a ton of books. Most of them I could have survived without.

I'm thinking along the same lines as DrMom. Plus, with the prospect of our second years giving us their books, I cant justify spending extra money if there is no need.

Is anyone looking into scholarship opportunites? Private, public, local, national? I'm a little worried about the debt load after graduation, but I also don't want to sign on to a public health scholarship and then realize down the road that I want to specialize

Going into debt is the cool thing to do these days. Come on, everybody is doing it. Give in to the peer pressure

Is anyone looking into scholarship opportunites? Private, public, local, national? I'm a little worried about the debt load after graduation, but I also don't want to sign on to a public health scholarship and then realize down the road that I want to specialize

This is wise thinking, IMO. Personally I would recommend not signing on with any of the scholarships that require primary care or otherwise limit your specialty options (physician manpower, IHS, etc). Like you said, you may decide that you want a different specialty outside of primary care. If you're signed on with them you're stuck. On the other hand, those same organizations recruit folks out of residency for loan payback contracts. If you do end up in a primary care area, you can still have the option of working in one of those systems and getting loans paid off or paid down by them. Yes, it probably is financially a better deal if you sign on at the start...but if you decide you don't like primary care after all you're screwed.

A quick note on books...

DrMOM is absolutely correct.

The first semester/year...with the exception of anatomy/neuro/phys...may not require a text....~90% of TQ's often come from packets and ppt's...though if you struggle with any particular material, the library or internet are phenom resources. That being said, people learn differently and textbooks may be your mode of confidence.

congrats to all the new osu students! I graduated from OSU in 2004. I think some of the professors have changed buy overall I'm sure its pretty much the same. Watch out for Dr Meek and Histo, and take his little daily quizzes seriously I used them to bring my grade up from a B to and A. Not sure how anatomy is anymore it was kinda tough when I was there. Dr Taylor was the man in charge then and he could be tough. The toughest class had to be neuroanatomy. The proffessor that tought that is no longer there, but it was brutal. Otherwise the lectures give you everything you need to know. Is Dr Goljan still around? Every year he says he's gonna retire.

Dr. Smith is over anatomy now...good prof.

Dr. G is still kickin'...and apparently still threatening retirment.

Dr Taylor died the summer after my first year. And, yes, Goljan seems to threaten to retire every year. I think he likes teaching too much to quit.

Dr Taylor died the summer after my first year. And, yes, Goljan seems to threaten to retire every year. I think he likes teaching too much to quit.

I sure hope Goljan sticks it out for at least two more years. After all I have heard about him, I want him to be there when I go through.

Last edited:
hey everyone! havent posted in a while so i thought i'd stop by!

i'm pretty excited about school starting in august. last week OU sent me confirmation that OSU was the right choice. i think if they had offered me a spot, i may have been tempted to accept even though i knew it wasnt the best fit for me... so needless to say, i'm glad i dont have that complication because i know i will be happy at osu!!

looking forward to the move up to tulsa (from edmond). I've got a pretty good plan i think. thinking about nickel creek, a (big) mac book, and lotsa hours in the library :)

admitted student day was a good experience. i think it just kinda got me more fired up about school. I think the next 4 years is gonna be a heck of a journey and I'm glad to know i'll be in good company!

If anyone moves to nickle creek, let me know. They have a referral program and my fiancé and I just signed a lease and therefore are elgible. We will gladly split 50:50.

How is everyone planning on supporting themselves? I know we can take out loans, but most of us are married or have kids. I don't know it the initial loan will cover it. Can two people live on 20K a year? Not spoiled, just asking. Going out on your own for the first time can be quite intimidating.

How is everyone planning on supporting themselves? I know we can take out loans, but most of us are married or have kids. I don't know it the initial loan will cover it. Can two people live on 20K a year? Not spoiled, just asking. Going out on your own for the first time can be quite intimidating.

20K is pushing it. Two people CAN live on 20K a year, but you may not like the lifestyle - we're talking no eating out, and very humble grocery shopping. This is assuming you're not making a huge car payment, and you can get an apartment for $500 - $700 a month. Remember though you CAN work during the summer, so technically the 20K only has to last 9 - 10 months.

Spouse needs to work. That's the easiest answer. You can do private and grad plus loans if the spouse is in school or as has some legitimate reason not to work.

My wife will be working. Hopefully she will be able to find a job before I start school though. I figure if I take out ten or fifteen thousand for living and she makes 35 to 40, we will be able to live ok. Granted, we do not have kids.

20K is pushing it. Two people CAN live on 20K a year, but you may not like the lifestyle - we're talking no eating out, and very humble grocery shopping. This is assuming you're not making a huge car payment, and you can get an apartment for $500 - $700 a month. Remember though you CAN work during the summer, so technically the 20K only has to last 9 - 10 months.

We are trying to find an apartment for under $600, so I think we will be ok in that department. How much is insurance per month typically?

The summer between first and second year is really the only summer you can work.

For just myself, $65 per month. $7500 deductible, no prescription coverage. Copay is $15, but your office visits as a medical student will be waived most of the time as a professional courtesy.