OSU-COM class of 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, my mail goes to my parents house... and I didn't think about it until my mom called to tell me that she opened my mail and would like to go. :rolleyes:

I live in Tulsa, so I might as well go. Should be interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

Got the call today! Accepted!! So I guess I can come to this thread now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Come on down! lol...

Welcome to the boring acceptance thread.

i want to go and meet our classmates!! plus i think it will be good for the fiance to see what he is getting himself into and give him one last chance to duck out lol.

for those of you who are also getting married before school starts, what are you doing about fasfa??? my fiance and i filed jointly last year and this year, but we will be married by school... does this change anything?

It shouldn't make a difference. Unless you guys made a significant amount of money, you should qualify for the full available amount.

As a side note: since all of you are going to be facing having to pay something on your loans while in residency it is even more important to keep your total loans to a bare minimum. It isn't the same as when you could put off any repayment until you had a real physician's salary.

As a side note: since all of you are going to be facing having to pay something on your loans while in residency it is even more important to keep your total loans to a bare minimum. It isn't the same as when you could put off any repayment until you had a real physician's salary.

Does decreasing your amount borrowed by 10K/year for 40k total really change monthly loan repayment amounts by more than $75-100?

Loans are simple interest so you do the math @ 6.8%.

anyways thought I'd post that I received a formal card from OSU congratulating me on my acceptance and was written from whom I believe will be my MSII mentor.

Got the same card only it was signed by the janitor. Does that mean I doomed?

Is anybody else thinking about attempting research? I know that there is little time during the year and most research is done in the summer between year 1 & 2, but I was wondering if perhaps you can start research the summer before first year? Don't know if I would if it is possible, just curious.

Last edited:
Does decreasing your amount borrowed by 10K/year for 40k total really change monthly loan repayment amounts by more than $75-100?

You need to look at the total amount you'll pay from day 1 of taking out the loan to when you make your last loan payment, not just the monthly amount.

Considering compounding interest for 4 years before you start any kind of repayment + however many years you take to repay...yes, it does make a difference. Add to that the fact that you'll have to pay however much a month more while living on a resident's salary.

The last I checked, only $8,800 of what you borrow each year isn't accruing interest. This stuff adds up quickly.

RevDoc--

I interviewed Jan 15th and got The Call Jan 22nd (3 days ago lol!!). I applied late. I should receive my acceptance packet tomorrow.

Is any one else really worried about money? With a wedding and honeymoon in early June.. I don't think I we are going to be able to wait for loans to come in when school starts. I mean-- I've looked around at apartments, and they are 4-5 times the rent I pay in my SMALL college town. Another thing- are we responsible for scrubs/lap top/etc. before loans come in? I know I sound petty, but I have never even had a credit card and I guess all these dollar signs make me nervous! :)

One option, though it would suck, is to take out a signature loan to cover the gap period then take out gradplus loans (if needed) on top of stafford loans to immediately pay off the signature loan.

However, some bright news down the tunnel is though Bush had to remove the deferment option, Obama is considering pushing for income-based loan repayment cap at 10% of income which would help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call today! Accepted!! So I guess I can come to this thread now?

hey revdoc.. just saw that we were accepted the same day! did we interview together??? just wondering! i interviewed with some fantastic people. i hope we get our packets today!!!

One option, though it would suck, is to take out a signature loan to cover the gap period then take out gradplus loans (if needed) on top of stafford loans to immediately pay off the signature loan.

Aren't there 8% loan origination fees on private loans like these? I had to take a out a private student loan when my wife and I were both in grad school through Bank of America to survive the summer, we paid an 8% origination fee. That was my experience; you may be talking about something else. Although the interest rate was relatively low.
RevDoc--
Is any one else really worried about money? With a wedding and honeymoon in early June.. I don't think I we are going to be able to wait for loans to come in when school starts. I mean-- I've looked around at apartments, and they are 4-5 times the rent I pay in my SMALL college town. Another thing- are we responsible for scrubs/lap top/etc. before loans come in? I know I sound petty, but I have never even had a credit card and I guess all these dollar signs make me nervous! :)

When do we get our loans? If we are only talking a few months of expenses, I would consider opening a new credit card, many of which have 12 months no interest, and putting the expenses on the card. Then pay it off when the loan money comes in. Keep the card; don’t cancel it right when you pay it off doesn’t look good on the credit. This may not be a concern, but if you have never had a credit card it is something to consider. You will need credit eventually.

Signature loans are private loan that can be used for anything. They run a medium apr such as between 7 and 12 percent depending on credit but can be used for anything. They're cheaper then an unsecured loan and origination fees vary from bank to bank but I was looking to use Tinker credit union or USAA which have very low origination fees around 1 to 4 percent depending on credit

hey revdoc.. just saw that we were accepted the same day! did we interview together??? just wondering! i interviewed with some fantastic people. i hope we get our packets today!!!

No, I interviewed in Nov. I also interviewed with some great people - it seems to be a trend at OSU :)

With regard to the shots and physical - all of that only has to be done before matriculation in Aug, not before our deposit deadline correct? Also, I've heard that some of the hospitals with med schools do workups for incoming students at a discounted rate - does anyone know if OSU, or the hospital there, does something like this?

With regard to the shots and physical - all of that only has to be done before matriculation in Aug, not before our deposit deadline correct? Also, I've heard that some of the hospitals with med schools do workups for incoming students at a discounted rate - does anyone know if OSU, or the hospital there, does something like this?

Yes that is correct. I called Sarah and asked her if OSU was affiliated with a place that performed them on a discount, she said no.

Thats too bad about the discounted price. Anyone got any ideas for cheaper shots? No insurance lol

i think the school nurse at my university does then for cheep. i had to get a tb test and it was less than $5.. not sure on shots tho. i am no longer a student this semester so that's not an option for me.

the health department does then too, but in small towns sometimes there is an age limit or other qualifications. the health department in our town only treats those under 21, so i would have to drive 15 miles to the next town who does 21+ age group. they will ask if you have insurance and they also asked me how much i made each week (didn't ask for verification) the last time i went for a wellness check. it was free of charge including my normal medications. haven't tried for the physical tho. also-- i think it said on the sheet that it must be done by a physician.. and usually there is just a nurse practitioner at the health department. if anyone finds cheap shots or physicals, let the rest of us know!!!! :)

Luckily, my mom works for an OBGYN who told me she will do the physical without charge. The Dr. called to get a quote on the lab work and was given some outrageous amount... like $600 for the titers? Hopefully she can do some negotiation... :xf:

Look on the bright side, though. Most of us have had a lot of the immunizations and will only need a few shots. One of my good friends will be going to NYCOM next year and has never had an immunization in his life. The next few months should be fun for him.

I just had my done by my family practice physician and luckly insurance covered it, with a 50 dollar copay.

Yeah... I have insurance through AmeriCorps and have a huge deductible to meet. Unfortunately, the insurance covers basically nothing, so I am out of luck.

who all is going to admitted students day? is anyone bringing family? I thought about bringing my wife and father but I don't wanna look like the duggar family if everyone else is going on their own.

I'll be there with my wife. My parents live in the area, but not sure if I'm inviting. Seems more like spouses and/or kids

who all is going to admitted students day? is anyone bringing family? I thought about bringing my wife and father but I don't wanna look like the duggar family if everyone else is going on their own.

i'm taking my fiance (husband by the time school starts) and either my mom or both my mom and dad. i've been thinking about it a lot and even though i'm really independent from my parents (financially), i figured this might be the only time to really show them what i'm about to be going through and how intense it will be. i think it will be really good for the fiance and parents to feel familiar with the program and that way they can possibly feel more able to relate and support me through it. bc i know i will need it! :)

i'm excited to meet our fellow msI's!!!

i'm taking my fiance (husband by the time school starts) and either my mom or both my mom and dad. i've been thinking about it a lot and even though i'm really independent from my parents (financially), i figured this might be the only time to really show them what i'm about to be going through and how intense it will be. i think it will be really good for the fiance and parents to feel familiar with the program and that way they can possibly feel more able to relate and support me through it. bc i know i will need it! :)

i'm excited to meet our fellow msI's!!!

I think i'm with you on this one, i'm pretty independent from my parents but my Dad lives in KC and I would like for him to get an idea of what i'm going through, where i'm at, etc.

I'm bringing my parents. My mom has been bugging me to go on a tour with the school with her... but I think this will be much more interesting.

haha... the duggars.

Shots and TB skin tests are free at the Health Department. Go to a DO that does FP and the physical will be free, I almost guarantee it. I think the one I went to also did my titers for free.

I did all my tests and and have to get a MMR and Varicella-Zoster Booster (never had chicken pox). At that, since February finally rolled around, I have to do my tb test too.

As to the Saturday thing, I'll be glad to show my parents around another time however I just feel they might be a third wheel then. But my fiance will definitely be attending!

I will be there with my fiance...those who interviewed with me met her because she was my ride that day...lol duggers...can't stop laughing...

I am bringing my wife and her parents. A lot of her social support will be coming from them while we go through this, so I want them to see the school and what it is all about.

Maybe I will bring the rents afterall.

Do we have to get titers done if we have already had or are getting the shots and have records of them?

Yes, must have titers for mmr, varicella, and hep B

I'll be there the 20th with my wife and daughter. I'm not sure if I'm bringing parents though, might wait until the white coat ceremony when school starts for them. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

Does anybody know the dress code for the 20th?

I assume casual clothing, it isn't formal in any way.

Does anybody know the dress code for the 20th?

I'm wearing a jacket and slacks, but no tie. I imagine even jeans and T-Shirt would be OK; I assume it will be pretty laid back.

Last edited:
Jacket and slacks is overdoing it. Also, I probably wouldn't bring a big squad of family members. The day is pretty boring, they'll just drone on and on about how we are a big family, and how much support you'll have. Not really my type of scene, but others might enjoy it.

Thanks for the advice, Ill treat it like "casual friday." Those of you who watched the Superbowl will know exactly what i mean :) lol

Thanks for the advice, Ill treat it like "casual friday." Those of you who watched the Superbowl will know exactly what i mean :) lol

BEST commercial of the superbowl in my opinion! :laugh:

Alright...lets get some discussion going in here...what is everyone wanting to specialize in???

I will start by saying I am very open to most residencies. Here is my list of where my interests lie at the moment: Any type of surgery (neurosurgery at the top, ophthalmology at the bottom, with orthopedic in the middle), anesthesiology, cardiology, neurology.

At the moment I have no interest in: dermatology, radiology, psychiatry, or family practice

Like I said, I am going in with an open mind. It would be interesting to revisit this in four years.

Last edited:
I am open to everything though my most thorough interest since pursueing medicine has been Trauma Surgery. I know it is among the highest burnout but i just love fast paced environments as that.

EM for me....I think :). I am also very open.

Peds Intensivist is my top choice for now which requires a Peds residency with a critical care fellowship. If I'm burnt after four years of med school and want to skip the fellowhip, I may just do regular Peds or perhaps EM.

The caveat is, I am prepared to change my mind based on what I learn at school.

I second the open minded adventure through clinicals. Though Im most interested in: Family Practice, Surgery (General, Ortho, and CardioVasc), EM, Cardio and Oncology

Not so much interested with: OB, Psych, Peds, Rads, Optho, Derm, Plastics, Neuro (WAY too long to get into Neuro for me)

Anesth and Endocrin in the middle somewhere

Just wait until Morningstar (biggest EM group in state) provides you guys with their award winning rib crib luncheons complete with excellent pen lights, pens, and reflex hammers. Everybody will want to do EM then!

if I had to choose right now I would say family practice/rural medicine (i'm from a small town and would love to return to one) but I also think infectious diseases would be really interesting.