OSU-COM class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DrDad said:
hey nick are you studying todaY? MONDAY?

you still are weird though

DD

Im going to study in and amidst my tv watching. Im really ready to get this thing over with. It wont be to different from a prostate examination, i think.

Members don't see this ad :)
!dr_nick! said:
Im going to study in and amidst my tv watching. Im really ready to get this thing over with. It wont be to different from a prostate examination, i think.

come to the school and run through it once or twice with me.... second floor man

Is everybody ready to have this test over and done with?

Katz said:
Is everybody ready to have this test over and done with?
Don't you know it!

And you guys are just at the tip of the iceberg :D
Hopefully, you'll all do great tomorrow...just keep in mind that the biochem tests are not representative of the other exams you'll be taking.

DrMom said:
And you guys are just at the tip of the iceberg :D
Hopefully, you'll all do great tomorrow...just keep in mind that the biochem tests are not representative of the other exams you'll be taking.

Eh, thanks for reminding us. Anatomy is next week kiddos.

well.....it's time to start studying anatomy.....

yup.... already started and on the wagon

and to think.....I was worried about not having biochemistry in college....

OSUdoc08 said:
and to think.....I was worried about not having biochemistry in college....
If only i had known, i would have studied for anatomy instead :mad:

!dr_nick! said:
If only i had known, i would have studied for anatomy instead :mad:

I tried to warn you without saying so much that you wouldn't study ;)

Do keep in mind that biochem is not ropresentative of any other tests you'll be taking. DO NOT go into anatomy or histology preparing as if they were biochem tests!!

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMom said:
I tried to warn you without saying so much that you wouldn't study ;)

Do keep in mind that biochem is not ropresentative of any other tests you'll be taking. DO NOT go into anatomy or histology preparing as if they were biochem tests!!
have you had any tests on rotations yet? Or are you mostly having to demonstrate clinical skillz?

Idiopathic said:
Hmm...can you say C-A-K-E?

;)
yeah no joke. Biochem is the class that lets my brain desaturate after having had it soaked with histo or gross anatomy.

The required rotations have exams & some have other assignments. I took the psych exam last month (not bad at all) and will have peds next month (I've heard it's okay). Apparently the surgery exam has quite a reputation (big surprise), and OB/Gyn has an oral exam, but I haven't really heard about the others.

These exams are actually a small portion of our grade in each of these rotations...the rest is usually up to the preceptor.

DrMom said:
psych exam

get the psych review books out of the library. two have questions marked in them that they use. was verbatim when i took it (spring 03)

DrMom said:

straight out of blueprints

DrMom said:
surgery exam

recall and the required reading

DrMom said:

complete crapshoot :laugh:

of course, this was a couple years ago, so your mileage may vary :)

--your friendly neighborhood missing Hideaway terribly caveman

Psych was really easy, but I studied the question book pretty thoroughly. The book edition changed this year so no marked questions. :laugh:
In Peds we now have a CD that comes with the text & they told us that the questions would come directly from the questions on the CD (and there are only 182 total).
I already have surgical recall :) Surgery month is January...I've been hearing horror stories already.
I was told that blueprints is great for OB/Gyn.

:) Too bad I can't send you some Hideaway

So, everybody ready for Anatomy tomorrow? :eek: :confused: :D

ArmyDoc1999 said:
So, everybody ready for Anatomy tomorrow? :eek: :confused: :D

I'm just glad it's not at 9 a.m. sharp. I've got a lot to do between now and then.

Good luck all!

DrMom said:
Good luck, you guys!! :)
Hey DM, any advice as to how they ask questions in lecture? What to not waste time on, etc?

I can't give you anything for what not to waste time on. You won't have a ton of questions on the lecture portion that are simple identification (that's what you do in lab). Don't neglect embryo...know the signalling chemicals and the progression of development.

ok that sucked

time for margaritas and monday night football

the only way to really describe that test would be in terms of distension of various parts of dorsal caudal anatomy.

Homunculus said:
meekocytes and remediation granules are teh lose

-your friendly neighborhood major basic protein caveman

Yeah, ive already got the histo notes out studying up a storm.

:thumbdown: :rolleyes: :thumbdown: j/k

One word: OUCH! Well, at least I know what to expect on the NEXT anatomy test.

ArmyDoc1999 said:
One word: OUCH! Well, at least I know what to expect on the NEXT anatomy test.

it's all about the practical. but then again you guys don't have taylor and kirk, so maybe it's more about the lecture. either way dump the netter's and grab a rohen's. :thumbup: :cool:

-your friendly neighborhood will never forgive the cartoony bastard netter caveman

Well, I pretty exclusively used Netter and did very well in lab :p I guess the advice is to find the book that helps you the most.

Homunculus is exactly right, though...get all the points you can in lab. The same goes for histo. If you do great on lab and do mediocre on lecture you can end up with a good grade, so don't blow off the easy points. :)

Homunculus said:
either way dump the netter's and grab a rohen's. :thumbup: :cool:
I concur. I am a Rohen convert. No more of the netter's heresy!! Netters is great if you like cartoons ;)

DrMom said:
Homunculus is exactly right, though...get all the points you can in lab. The same goes for histo. If you do great on lab and do mediocre on lecture you can end up with a good grade, so don't blow off the easy points. :)
Shoot im skeered of histo lab as much as lecture. I hears he asks a lot of second order questions on the slides. (ie not, identify this cell BUT what does this cell secrete :eek: :thumbdown: )

!dr_nick! said:
Shoot im skeered of histo lab as much as lecture. I hears he asks a lot of second order questions on the slides. (ie not, identify this cell BUT what does this cell secrete :eek: :thumbdown: )

In fact, there are very few first-order questions and some third-order questions. But since that is similar to how boards are, it is good preparation.

!dr_nick! said:

Yep. Idio's right. Most of the questions are like this. Still, the lab questions are the easy ones. Know the lab cold! (and memorize the notes ;))

Man, my right eye is killing me. My eye spacing is too narrow to use both eye pieces on my scope :mad:

Howdy, howdy.

I just found out yesterday that MS II's refer to me as "The Hub." Is this true? Just because somebody forwards a couple of e-mails ... hmmm, not that it isn't complimentary. I'm sure it is complimentary. It's just that I have never been called "the Hub" before.

So, is there any validity to this?

Adios for now.

meshwag said:
Howdy, howdy.

I just found out yesterday that MS II's refer to me as "The Hub." Is this true? Just because somebody forwards a couple of e-mails ... hmmm, not that it isn't complimentary. I'm sure it is complimentary. It's just that I have never been called "the Hub" before.

So, is there any validity to this?

Adios for now.

You are the SuperHub of the OSU-COM information superhighway. You're kind of like the Merovingian, really; in a less threatening, less arrogant sort of way. But do you have a key maker........

i concur.... do you concur?

Wow. Was histo something else, or what? :confused: :scared: :D

Howdy, howdy.

Wasn't it great that I remembered Amanda telling me at the first SOMA meeting that, on average, osteopathic physicians only donated $0.80 towards political activism? It's a shame that earlier in the morning, I couldn't remember what dynein did in the cell.

ARRRRRGH!

Adios for now.

DrMom said:
The Meekster really likes to get your attention with that first test.

nah it wasn't that hard

(the 6 bonus points will help)

I was actually expecting worse, but im certainly glad it wasnt :eek:

At anyrate, i felt ok about it but i'll know when i get my scores back.

I do see what you are talking about as far as "sneaky meek". You definitely need to READ exactly what he is asking and exactly what the answers say. I deliberately went slow to make sure i was interpreting them correctly.

a little thing i learned with histo that may help you guys as well-- remember to look at the study slides grossly. many times you can ID the tissues/organs before looking through the scope, and limit your "differential" of what kind of cells may live there. the differences in morphology grossly is sometimes easier than looking at it microscopically, not to mention easier on the eyes.

--your friendly neighborhood remediation granule avoiding caveman

ArmyDoc1999 said:
Wow. Was histo something else, or what? :confused: :scared: :D

Yeah, what actually is a word for "opposite to straight forward". I think it's called Ketchumeek! Yeah, that test was ketchumeek!