Oklahoma future 2011ers part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey-anybody know how soon after Nov. 1 they send out interview invitations? Also, does anyone know when they start interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Interviews started end of September. I took August MCAT and interviewed Oct. 26. Supposedly they are sending out offers November 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey-anybody know how soon after Nov. 1 they send out interview invitations? Also, does anyone know when they start interviews?

yeah, for some reason they started earlier this year. And last year they came via email. Don't know if that is the same.

Make sure your email addy is right!!

Here are the interview days:

Sept 26
Oct 25 & 26
Nov 29 & 30
Jan 10, 11, & 12
Feb 7 & 8

Sept 26 too? I interviewed on Sept 28th..

yeah, for some reason they started earlier this year. And last year they came via email. Don't know if that is the same.

Make sure your email addy is right!!

Email too? Man, I'm nervous.

Email too? Man, I'm nervous.

Last year, email was only used for interview invites, not for admissions decisions. Those came via usps, so you have to wait. I guess the good news is that mail should only take one day to get from OKC to Norman. :)

I feel like I've studied so much for biochem that everything is running together and crossing over. I'm predicting a personal grade decrease after this test. :scared:

There are only so many dehydrogenases, transferases, synthases, synthetases, lyases, asdfasdflkajsases I can handle before my brain just goes "Why do we need to know this? Please just kill me with beer!"

I quit on biochem a few hours ago and switched to GA.

I like the diagnosing/treatment stuff in biochem, but knowing how every enzyme is regulated blah blah blah... who cares...that's important for phDs developing meds...but sheeesh.

My patients will feel better knowing I can recite the steps of gluconeogenesis I'm sure. :sleep:

I'm so done with biochem. I just went through Weigel's questions in the Q-bank (all 70 of them). I thought I knew his stuff pretty well until I tried to answer the questions. Everything is running together....must... stop ...soon....:sleep:

Okay, so that biochem test could have been a lot worse, but did anybody else go wtf on some of the clinical correlation stuff? I wonder if we're not going to get the answer sheet this afternoon because that one guy didn't show up.

I don't want to study embryo! :eek:

during dis-orientation, did you come to 216?

Yeah, I think so. I was in a mod that night, but i don't remember for sure if it was 216. Whatever mod Porter is in

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so that biochem test could have been a lot worse, but did anybody else go wtf on some of the clinical correlation stuff? I wonder if we're not going to get the answer sheet this afternoon because that one guy didn't show up.

Yeah, the first 50 questions or so were rote memory. Leon's and Rodgers weren't too challenging, but some of the vignettes were a little bit wtf. I marked two to argue for bad or misleading wording.

Don't know why that one was a bonus. Wasn't it just 24? Three NADH in CAC plus one from PDH times two 'cause glucose is split in half times 3 ATP per NADH. Even if you only knew part of that, it had to be a multiple of 3 and significantly less than 36. It seemed pretty rudimentary unless I misread the question.

I'm making a rule this time--no answer sheet perusal until lunchtime Thursday.

I was going WTF on lots of stuff lol

While MMI wasn't exactly fun, several of us were commenting beforehand that we would rather do it than to go across the hall and take a Biochem exam again :laugh:

It seems that I have forgotten my role as the unofficial slacker of the class of 2010. Seeing as how we are in the middle of a test block and everyone is stressing out I'm here to tell you you can relax, you are definitely doing better than me.

I had a little less than a week to cram for this test. Didn't look at Leon's stuff until about 7am this morning and never looked at the clinical correlation at all. I counted and I think there were 34 questions about which I was 100% confident in my answer, however I'm not worried about passing. We'll see, I am also employing the no checking answer sheets until after HB on Thursday. I'm already cramming for embryo tomorrow.

See, now don't you feel smart and responsible!

The first thing I did when I got home was to calculate just how close to flunking I would be with my estimated grade based on a comparison of my answers with a “smart” student. :scared:
I did find a couple of surprises in the syllabi. The good stuff, this exam was only worth 20% (block 1 was worth 28), and we have 6 points for the two group exercises. I’m assuming the group exercises will be graded on attendance and we can count on full points (2nd years is this right?). So factoring is 6/6 into your grade helps a lot. :)
We have that second mini worth 12 points and block 3 worth 22. Too bad I skipped all of DeAngelis lectures! Not a very good start!

The good stuff, this exam was only worth 20% (block 1 was worth 28), and we have 6 points for the two group exercises. I’m assuming the group exercises will be graded on attendance and we can count on full points (2nd years is this right?). So factoring is 6/6 into your grade helps a lot. :)

what were the group exercises for biochem. i saw that in the syllabus but was sure what the included.

I'm thinking of dressing as a dental student for halloween party + something extra (gun shot wound, etc.) Any ideas? ;)

what were the group exercises for biochem. i saw that in the syllabus but was sure what the included.

Some kind of diet and a "neurofibromatosis tumor genetics experience". Sounds like all kinds of fun!

Some kind of diet and a "neurofibromatosis tumor genetics experience". Sounds like all kinds of fun!

ya i looked that up on the schedule. the way you said it, i thought it had already happened and i had somehow missed it. i get really paranoid around exam time.

How is everyone doing this year?

T-minus 2 days

T-minus 2 days

You say that's when accept. letters go out?

Hmmmm. That is precisely when we'll know if we have a mathematical shot in hell of passing.

You say that's when accept. letters go out?

Hmmmm. That is precisely when we'll know if we have a mathematical shot in hell of passing.
I'm waiting to hear from cosmotology school....this MD crap is just my fallback plan. Friggin embryo grrrr.

Diaper wrangler!! lol

Okay, I admit it. I have a problem with cramming during test block, and I usually get to the BSEB really early on test days (I've been here for 30 minutes already), but damn...

You guys need to talk to some of your classmates (or maybe there's just one). I use the entrance by the anatomy lab. This morning I went by it and the light was on, and I'm pretty sure there's someone in there. I know they don't technically close it until 5:00 AM on the day of the practical, but come on! Spending time with your cadaver in the wee morning hours is a little too OCD. ;)

Anyway... Like I said, I'm not really one to talk.

Good luck on anatomy and make sure to send off the fall semester of HB with a bang.

Also, have pity on us pitiful MS2s while we get worked over again on Friday's IHI exam.

Okay, I admit it. I have a problem with cramming during test block, and I usually get to the BSEB really early on test days (I've been here for 30 minutes already), but damn...

You guys need to talk to some of your classmates (or maybe there's just one). I use the entrance by the anatomy lab. This morning I went by it and the light was on, and I'm pretty sure there's someone in there. I know they don't technically close it until 5:00 AM on the day of the practical, but come on! Spending time with your cadaver in the wee morning hours is a little too OCD. ;)

Good luck on anatomy and make sure to send off the fall semester of HB with a bang.

Also, have pity on us pitiful MS2s while we get worked over again on Friday's IHI exam.

I always thought it was funny when they told us the lab closed at 5 am because surely no one would in there studying that late, right? Guess I'm wrong. :) I study and all, but I don't get these hardcore people who don't sleep during this week -- I need my rest.

Like last test block, I'm really worried about the practical today. :scared:

I agree that seems a little bit OCD, but also, what's the point? Are these people looking at ALL of the cadavers or something? We have plenty of atlases and dissection videos, and in my view, doing the actual dissections doesn't even help that much. I can't imagine trying to study off of somebody else's dissection.

Gunners--the profs will make it all look nice and neat for the test. I missed my fair share on the first practical, but it wasn't because I didn't spend enough time in the lab. Sleep is more important to me than cramming. We had a month since last block!

I agree that seems a little bit OCD, but also, what's the point? Are these people looking at ALL of the cadavers or something? We have plenty of atlases and dissection videos, and in my view, doing the actual dissections doesn't even help that much. I can't imagine trying to study off of somebody else's dissection.

For the last test block, Dr. D suggested finding every structure on every body. Yeah, that's practical -- finding 350+ structures on 21 bodies. :rolleyes: Sometimes I think the anatomy faculty (not really Chung but the others) forget that we take classes other than anatomy.

heh, bang.

So it's gunnerish to get kicked out of the lab? :D

It wasn't me, although I was up with my Chung's...

But only 'cuz I have a two-legged alarm clock...

I have a couple of questions about anatomy and bio-chem. How are the biochem group "projects" (6% of grade) graded? Do you get full points for participation? And, for anatomy do most people get the full 30 points for dissections? and We've done two PBL's but don't know a score, should we expect full points for these?
I'm trying to figure out exactly where I stand going into block 3. Yes I'm neurotic....:oops:

I have a couple of questions about anatomy and bio-chem. How are the biochem group "projects" (6% of grade) graded? Do you get full points for participation? And, for anatomy do most people get the full 30 points for dissections? and We've done two PBL's but don't know a score, should we expect full points for these?
I'm trying to figure out exactly where I stand going into block 3. Yes I'm neurotic....:oops:

As long as you sign in, you should get full credit for the biochem things. For anatomy, if Dr. Chung hasn't kicked you or thrown you out of lab, you should count on full dissection points. Same for PBL's as long as you turn in the learning objective things on time and sign in and all that. They're all pretty much bonus points as long as you show up.

As long as you sign in, you should get full credit for the biochem things. For anatomy, if Dr. Chung hasn't kicked you or thrown you out of lab, you should count on full dissection points. Same for PBL's as long as you turn in the learning objective things on time and sign in and all that. They're all pretty much bonus points as long as you show up.
Only not really bonus...don't get their hopes up!! :D

If they get all of the ARS questions right, don't some of those count as bonus?

If memory serves from the first day, there are 60 allocated for ARS with a possibility of 66 total. So 6 points are extra credit if you get them all. The only caveat is that the ARS can't hurt your grade if you don't come to class.

Doesn't matter after yesterday....

If memory serves from the first day, there are 60 allocated for ARS with a possibility of 66 total. So 6 points are extra credit if you get them all. The only caveat is that the ARS can't hurt your grade if you don't come to class.

Doesn't matter after yesterday....

Cool. That'll at least make up for the random stupid ARS questions I've missed -- yes, I have occasionally been one of those 5 people who got it wrong. :oops:

I didn't think yesterday's written was very bad, but the practical was another story. I'm still p&ssed at myself for not putting down lateral sacral artery because it wasn't on the stupid list. That whole having some stuff not be on the list is just a cruel mind trick. :mad:

I'm really unprepared for HB. :scared:

I didn't think yesterday's written was very bad, but the practical was another story. I'm still p&ssed at myself for not putting down lateral sacral artery because it wasn't on the stupid list. That whole having some stuff not be on the list is just a cruel mind trick. :mad:

I'm really unprepared for HB. :scared:

So your primary emotion is fear? :D

I was just glad to see that others appeared equally perplexed when they were looking at some of those things as I was. I think that I used iliohypogastric nerve twice, and my inclination was that peroneus longus was the answer in back-to-back stations (though somebody disagreed with me).

The discussion board blew up last night with tired and stressed people. I think I saw Smitty on there.

Any word on the practical key?

Letters go out today :eek:

Damn it feels good to be done with another block :)

I was just glad to see that others appeared equally perplexed when they were looking at some of those things as I was. I think that I used iliohypogastric nerve twice, and my inclination was that peroneus longus was the answer in back-to-back stations (though somebody disagreed with me).

The discussion board blew up last night with tired and stressed people. I think I saw Smitty on there.

you should have come to the brewery. good times all around. bebemos mucho. i need to sleep now.

Letters go out today :eek:

good luck. we cant really give you advice as to what is going on this year since everything has changed. in the past admissions decisions are made on interview day since interviews do not happen until all apps are in. since they are giving out earlier interview this year, they may postpone the admissions decisions somewhat. that being said, good luck. im sure you will get in, but we really cant say when that determination will come.

Yeah, that anatomy practical was pretty brutal. I thought it was a lot worse than the last one, of course that may have something to do with my level of preparedness. I know several people who put peroneus longus twice, I would bet that was right answer. I know that the muscle was peroneus longus, but as far as which muscle made the groove was a total guess for me. I think I wanted to put iliohypogastric down 2-3 times, but that is probably because I did not know the nerves in the posterior abdominal wall well. There was one tag that looked like a huge nerve or possible artery that was on the posterior wall of a dismembered abdominal cavity. At first it took me a minute to determine what part of the body I was looking at, and then I couldn't figure out what type of structure was tagged. Man, that is not a good sign.

Yeah, I was on the discussion board. Thinking of possible band names made studying for HB a lot more fun. Of course the material this time around was just more fun in general.

I have to say that I'm starting to feel like a real medical student. I started to get that "I hate my life feeling" this week. Plus I have decided to give up on a 4.0. Something about having two test blocks under my belt makes me feel like I have gone through some rite of passage.

good luck. we cant really give you advice as to what is going on this year since everything has changed. in the past admissions decisions are made on interview day since interviews do not happen until all apps are in. since they are giving out earlier interview this year, they may postpone the admissions decisions somewhat. that being said, good luck. im sure you will get in, but we really cant say when that determination will come.

Hmm, thanks. I hope they don't postpone unless, of course, it is to my advantage. Good luck to the others.:luck:

Hmm, thanks. I hope they don't postpone unless, of course, it is to my advantage. Good luck to the others.:luck:

ya, nontrad and i interviewed on the same day last year. if i remember correctly i heard back first, but he got a fat scholarship with his admissions offer so im pretty sure he won that round.

Status
Not open for further replies.