OHSU (Oregon Health Sciences University) Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
carajeanne said:
Hey guys! I'm leaving on Monday for a 10-day trip and I'm concerned that I have not gotten my packet yet... it's been about 5 weeks so I'm expecting it soon. Is there time-dependent info in there that I need to return, that would be detrimental if it came while I was out of town? Thanks!

I'm not sure what they plan to send us but I have received 3 things so far: the initial offer letter, a follow-up letter asking for transcripts, technical standards, etc., and a financial aid packet. I assume there is more coming but I haven't seen it. It's been 4 weeks since I got the first letter.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah...the info is time-dependent...they make you return your acceptance form within 2 weeks of its receipt...shouldn't be a problem though, since your trip is 10 days long.

Hi Fellow OHSU students. I just got in on Friday from the waitlist and I wanted to know if after the initial acceptance letter do you have to send in a confirmation that you are taking the spot or do you just wait for the acceptance package to arrive? In the letter it says to contact them by writing if you do not want the spot but nothing about if you want it. This is making me a little neurotic because I do not want to send in my withdrawl to the University of Maryland until I have more info from OHSU.

And here is a just a brief introduction of me: I am 28 year-old female from the San Francisco Bay Area. I have been working in research at UCSF for the last four years and am now very excited to be moving on to medical school!! I lived in Eugene and Lake Oswego for about one and half years during kindergarten and first grade. All I remember though is chasing newts around on the playground. So any info about Portland would be great. I have heard wonderful things about the microbrews that come out of Portland.

Members don't see this ad :)
accepted said:
Hi Fellow OHSU students. I just got in on Friday from the waitlist and I wanted to know if after the initial acceptance letter do you have to send in a confirmation that you are taking the spot or do you just wait for the acceptance package to arrive? In the letter it says to contact them by writing if you do not want the spot but nothing about if you want it. This is making me a little neurotic because I do not want to send in my withdrawl to the University of Maryland until I have more info from OHSU.

And here is a just a brief introduction of me: I am 28 year-old female from the San Francisco Bay Area. I have been working in research at UCSF for the last four years and am now very excited to be moving on to medical school!! I lived in Eugene and Lake Oswego for about one and half years during kindergarten and first grade. All I remember though is chasing newts around on the playground. So any info about Portland would be great. I have heard wonderful things about the microbrews that come out of Portland.

You will get a followup letter asking you to clarify you intentions. Mine came in about 3 weeks. If you're real neurotic, call them. They're used to it! Congratulations!

I know that, a month or more back, there was a lot of talk about people investing in houses or condos in the Portland area because housing prices are expected to rise. I jumped on that bandwagon, for better or worse.

And now I have questions:

If you are a landlord, how did you decide how much rent to charge, especially if you wanted to live with another medical student or be somewhat choosy about your housemates? How did you decide whether to include utilities or not? Did you know ahead of time what utilities were going to be?

If you live in a shared house, how much are your utilities?

If you are a renter, how much would you be willing to pay in rent for one room or two (bedroom plus office) in a nice house in the Hawthorne area (the house has a finished basement, laundry, a little yard, easy parking, nice living room and dining room, dishwasher)?

Thanks for the help, everyone! Hope to meet you all very soon!

~Rebecca :)

Hey guys, I just wanted to introduce myself...I got in a few weeks back and just now found this thread... :)

I probably should have added some details about me...I'm 25 living in so-cal and currently working at Loma Linda University's School of Public Health (this is where I got my MPH).

I need some advice on moving up there. With work and some family obligations I have a jammed packed schedule until the week of July 24th. I was planning on flying up that week to try and find housing - am I waiting too long? Reading through this thread makes me feel like people are already settling down! Let me know what you guys think.

drpac said:
I have a jammed packed schedule until the week of July 24th. I was planning on flying up that week to try and find housing - am I waiting too long?

Welcome and Congratz! You will be fine flying up that "late". The Portland housing market is easy. Each time I have moved it has taken me less than 24 hours to find a place. Of course I was VERY flexible and didn't need much but I haven't heard of anyone taking longer than a few days to find a place. I would recommend taking a look at http://portland.craigslist.org/hhh/ to get an idea of the range of possiblities so you can start to decide where you want to live and what you want out of a place. But overall the process is easy here in Portland.

Feel free to email me: [email protected] with any questions.

so I just went from elated to freaking out. I got my package today and it says that my acceptance is contingent on completing the genetics requirement...how the hell did I miss this? Is there anyone who completed this requirement really late or anyone who was able to get some sort of extension? I feel like I just dropped the ball and I'm majorly stressing! Any advice will help... :scared:

drpac said:
so I just went from elated to freaking out. I got my package today and it says that my acceptance is contingent on completing the genetics requirement...how the hell did I miss this? Is there anyone who completed this requirement really late or anyone who was able to get some sort of extension? I feel like I just dropped the ball and I'm majorly stressing! Any advice will help... :scared:

is it too late for a summer class? You can try PSU genetics, if it is not too late. Sometimes they (PSU) can allow a late registration for a class.
Otherwise, may be OHSU could allow you to take a night class during your first year. I had some questions about my requirement and people in OHSU were very understanding and everything worked out great (so far at least)
Good luck!

goodluck2 said:
is it too late for a summer class? You can try PSU genetics, if it is not too late. Sometimes they (PSU) can allow a late registration for a class.
Otherwise, may be OHSU could allow you to take a night class during your first year. I had some questions about my requirement and people in OHSU were very understanding and everything worked out great (so far at least)
Good luck!

The summer genetics class at PSU is totally do-able. It only runs for 3.5 weeks, which means you'll have a test every 5 days, but in the end (~July 22ish) you'll be done. If Kerry Booth is still the instructor, she's incredibly fair, knowledgeable, and concise. I'd go for it!!!

drpac said:

This happened to me at the same time last year. Call them tomorrow and it is probably a detail that they need you to verbally verify. Most likely your other bio courses covered the requirement but for some reason your transcript/ application doesn't clearly say this so they need you to verify it.

the same thing happened to me and I found out friday just after 5pm so I actually registered for a PSU summer course and found out on monday that they just needed me to verbally verify some stuff.

Worst case they will make you take a summer course, but this is unlikely.

Just an fyi to the Portland people -- I don't know what immunizations OHSU requires, but it looks like getting it done at the health department is probably the cheapest option. Here's their website.

http://www.co.multnomah.or.us/health/immunizations.html

I saw a post above, too, about timelines for moving to PDX, and I don't think you need to worry. Portland has an excess of rental property, which is one reason why rents are relatively low while home prices are high. Portland is also a place where they expect you to rent really close to when you're moving. When we moved here four years, I came out the week of July 4 to find a rental for August, and if anything, that was too early. I was used to the pre-renting because that's how it worked in Austin, but landlords in Portland seemed to expect you to move in pretty much immediately after applying to move into a place.

Members don't see this ad :)
exlawgrrl said:
Just an fyi to the Portland people -- I don't know what immunizations OHSU requires, but it looks like getting it done at the health department is probably the cheapest option. Here's their website.

http://www.co.multnomah.or.us/health/immunizations.html

They require a whole bunch of immunizations. For the entire list, you can check out these links:

OHSU Student Health Services
http://www.ohsu.edu/academic/acad/health/

Requirements for newly accepted students
http://www.ohsu.edu/academic/acad/health/newstudents.html

drpac said:
They require a whole bunch of immunizations. For the entire list, you can check out these links:

OHSU Student Health Services
http://www.ohsu.edu/academic/acad/health/

Requirements for newly accepted students
http://www.ohsu.edu/academic/acad/health/newstudents.html

They're actually easier than the school I'm attending because they allow you just to certify that you have already had chicken pox instead of getting a titer. Instead, I have to get jabbed with a needle. :eek:

Hey Everyone,

I just got off the alternate list last week (#60). It was pretty painful to have my wait extended by another 5 weeks but Im finally in!!

28 y/o, single male. Grew up / currently live in Portland (just moved into an apt on the hill).

Im really looking forward to meeting you guys in August. From what Ive read on this thread so far, it seems like we've got a pretty cool class. :cool:

drpac said:

Through Berkeley extension (no, you don't have to be in Berkeley to take it) there is an online genetics course offered. The problem is, it takes at least 11 weeks, because you are only officially allowed to turn in one problem set a week (this rule is for the professor's sake so they have time to grade things) or wait for the professor to return your assignment before you can email them another one. There are 10 assignments, your term paper is due with assignment #10, and then you schedule and take a test at a proctoring center. There's one in Portland.

But I'd say, you might very well need to talk to the admissions office about this. It IS awfully late to be starting a new course, and med school starts halfway through the summer.

mobiusbaldwin said:
Hey Everyone,

I just got off the alternate list last week (#60). It was pretty painful to have my wait extended by another 5 weeks but Im finally in!!

28 y/o, single male. Grew up / currently live in Portland (just moved into an apt on the hill).

Im really looking forward to meeting you guys in August. From what Ive read on this thread so far, it seems like we've got a pretty cool class. :cool:

You bet we do! I've loved reading about everyone on this thread.

And it will not be too late to find housing in late July! I will probably still have space in my house at that point; I have two rooms to rent out, and I haven't even arrived in town yet to start the housemate search.

Hey y'all! I just hit PDX a little over a week ago and have been getting settled in since then, sorry if I haven't been keeping up with the goings-on on SDN, it just shows how much I love this place!

Anyhow, congrats to everyone who has gotten in off of the waitlist in the last couple of weeks.... yee-haw!

bootz said:
Hey y'all! I just hit PDX a little over a week ago and have been getting settled in since then, sorry if I haven't been keeping up with the goings-on on SDN, it just shows how much I love this place!

Anyhow, congrats to everyone who has gotten in off of the waitlist in the last couple of weeks.... yee-haw!

So are all of us SDNers going to party or what? I'm moving up next week and I'm hoping to throw a party around the 3rd week of July. Who's with me?

Cinnameg said:
So are all of us SDNers going to party or what? I'm moving up next week and I'm hoping to throw a party around the 3rd week of July. Who's with me?

Count me in... I may be old, but I'm slow too!!!

Good luck #63, I just withdrew from OHSU. I hope all of you have a great year! Thanks to all of you who provided me with advice.

drpac said:
Good luck #63, I just withdrew from OHSU. I hope all of you have a great year! Thanks to all of you who provided me with advice.

Did you withdraw because of the genetics requirement?

Paiger Pie said:
Count me in... I may be old, but I'm slow too!!!

If there's any dancing then, I can guarantee I'll put on slow, slow music. :D

mobiusbaldwin said:
Im always down for a party :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hell Yeah. We're gonna party like it's 1999! (and thus, like I'm still 18, haha)

To change the topic . . . are any of the 5 incoming MD/MPH candidates on this thread? I just got taken off the waitlist, I have until Monday to decide to join you or not (leaning towards doing it, thus the new signature) and I would like to know who you guys are.

I am ready for a party as well!

Does anybody have any idea if it is time to buy books already?
Thank you!

goodluck2 said:
Does anybody have any idea if it is time to buy books already?

Don't buy books until you get here. The second and third year students will have cheap books and advice as to which books are worth buying.

If you just "have" to buy books now:
Whatever you do DO not get COA (clinically oriented anatomy), it is way too big and not helpful at all. For GIE (the first class) I recommend netter and rohen. Rohen has pictures of actual cadavars and can decrease the amount of extra time you need to spend in lab! I actually didn't use netter but I had already taken anatomy. Others found it useful. If you are a flashcard person netter's anatomy flashcards are a good replacement/supliment to the full book.

Do NOT get any books for PCM (you won't read them and if you do you can get it from the library)

As for the rest of first year you can wait to get books.

let's party!

Happy upcoming 4th everyone!

hmmm... I wonder what the best way is to get all of our contact info out and coordinate this thingy.

Cinnameg, I've pm'd you my email addy. Maybe everyone else who is interested meeting up should do the same? Oh yeah, and congrats on getting into the MD/MPH program!

Anyone else sign up for the Family Practice elective?

bootz said:
Anyone else sign up for the Family Practice elective?
Not yet but I'm thinking about doing it. Am planning to call the program coordinator tomorrow. I want to see what we can expect. I've done quite a bit of shadowing, so if that is all we get to do I'll probably pass on it.

robh said:
I've done quite a bit of shadowing, so if that is all we get to do I'll probably pass on it.
Welcome to the big leagues... kind of. It depends on the doctor you are paired with but if you ask most will let you do all sorts of stuff. A classmate of mine got to deliver a child. Many got to do stitches. I haven't heard of many bad experiences. Just put down on your application that you want more hands on experience. The coordinator is good at matching people up!

also for your preceptor request forms be specific as possible. The more guidance you can give her the better she can match you up with someone that fits your desires.

jmk said:
Welcome to the big leagues... kind of. It depends on the doctor you are paired with but if you ask most will let you do all sorts of stuff. A classmate of mine got to deliver a child. Many got to do stitches. I haven't heard of many bad experiences. Just put down on your application that you want more hands on experience. The coordinator is good at matching people up!

also for your preceptor request forms be specific as possible. The more guidance you can give her the better she can match you up with someone that fits your desires.

Thanks. That is what I was hoping for. Sounds like it might be a good time. Do you know how much elective credit we get for this week?

robh said:
Thanks. That is what I was hoping for. Sounds like it might be a good time. Do you know how much elective credit we get for this week?

I'm thinking about doing it too...but I don't think we get credit for it, as it's only an observership, not a preceptorship, and it's only a week long. We'll have the option of doing a preceptorship between 1st and 2nd years which we *do* get credit for, I believe, but it's longer-term and probably more involved. The observership is mainly for getting more experience/seeing what life as a physician is like/possibly hooking up with a long-term mentor. At least from what I can gather...let me know if I'm wrong about this if any first-years have already done it!

It sounds like a great experience, but I'm weighing it against the prospect of one or two week-long backpacking trip(s) around Mt. Ranier and/or the Sisters...So, we'll see what winds up winning! :D
Speaking of which, if anyone is interested in doing a long (50+ mile) backpacking trip or two during the first two weeks of August, let me know! I hike pretty fast though, just as a warning...probably going to do 12+ miles a day...but it may be the last time for years that we'll have the opportunity (depending on post-first year summer plans)!

Blankyblank said:
but I don't think we get credit for it, as it's only an observership, not a preceptorship, and it's only a week long. We'll have the option of doing a preceptorship between 1st and 2nd years which we *do* get credit for, I believe, but it's longer-term and probably more involved.

You do not get credit before first year but you do get credit between first and second year. This is one clinical credit for one week (+/- 40 hours) of ruralship. Clinical credit is different than non-clinical credit (that you can earn from MS I/II electives) but this won't effect you until fourth year. The only other difference between the two year's is the timing. Before your first year there is a designated week. Between first and second years you can choose any week that fits your schedual.

I recommend doing what will make you happy. I went to Las Vegas because I had never done that kind of trip before and had the chance to go with my boyfriend and his brother and sister-in-law. I didn't regret my choice. You get a LOT of clinical experience during the year. However if you can't wait to start acting like a doctor or you don't have anything else you really want to do I've heard from many of my classmates that it was a great experience.

jmk said:
You do not get credit before first year but you do get credit between first and second year. This is one clinical credit for one week (+/- 40 hours) of ruralship. Clinical credit is different than non-clinical credit (that you can earn from MS I/II electives) but this won't effect you until fourth year. The only other difference between the two year's is the timing. Before your first year there is a designated week. Between first and second years you can choose any week that fits your schedual.

I recommend doing what will make you happy. I went to Las Vegas because I had never done that kind of trip before and had the chance to go with my boyfriend and his brother and sister-in-law. I didn't regret my choice. You get a LOT of clinical experience during the year. However if you can't wait to start acting like a doctor or you don't have anything else you really want to do I've heard from many of my classmates that it was a great experience.

The flyer that I was sent is titled: Summer Observership Program - Family Medicine Elective for new medical students. On the back of the flier it lists "Requirements for Credit." I'm not sure what's up with that. Like you said, everyone I've talked to so far says no credit for the incoming students, but the flyer implies otherwise. I'll find out for certain tomorrow and report back.

robh said:
The flyer that I was sent is titled: Summer Observership Program - Family Medicine Elective for new medical students. On the back of the flier it lists "Requirements for Credit." I'm not sure what's up with that. Like you said, everyone I've talked to so far says no credit for the incoming students, but the flyer implies otherwise. I'll find out for certain tomorrow and report back.

Now I'm replying to myself. Is that a bad sign?

There is NO credit for the summber observership program for incoming MS1's. There is credit for incoming MS2's for whom the program costs money.

Cinnameg said:
Did you withdraw because of the genetics requirement?

no, actually, I took the advice on the thread and wrote them a letter and actually showed that I had in fact completed the requirements with classes I took at Cal...I withdrew because I was accepted at UCI...I hope you all have a blast, I was actually pretty sad to say bye to OHSU and to our huge party :(

jmk said:

Sweet!

Anyone else get the big packet containing the Sage handbook and the to-do checklist?

I got mine yesterday in PDX.

There are a couple of time-sensitive forms in there. They also said that FinAid estimates won't be out until August :eek: .

bootz said:
Anyone else get the big packet containing the Sage handbook and the to-do checklist?

I got mine yesterday in PDX.

There are a couple of time-sensitive forms in there. They also said that FinAid estimates won't be out until August :eek: .

Yup, I got mine yesterday. Wait until you do your "Respect at the University" ...did mine last year (I'm a current employee). It's pretty bad.

Purna said:
Yup, I got mine yesterday. Wait until you do your "Respect at the University" ...did mine last year (I'm a current employee). It's pretty bad.

It just did mine... ugh! Definitely a cringe inducer. I know this stuff is important but if someone is so thick they can't "get it" in the first ten minutes, the following hour isn't likely to help!

I am happy to announce that I can officially join this thread! I just got off the waitlist this morning. I will be moving up to portland in a couple of weeks with my wife and daughter.

I'll give you a mini bio on me. I went to roseburg high, then went to Oregon state on a football scholarship. I am married with a one year old daughter. My wife is a RN and will be working at willamette falls hospital in the birth center.

Maybe I'll try to get together with some of you before orientation.

Cinnameg said:

I am definitely down for a party around the 3rd week of July! Let us know...

carajeanne said:
I am definitely down for a party around the 3rd week of July! Let us know...

Party?? Of Course!!

Got your email on the listserve. Sounds like fun.

Cinnameg said:
I know that, a month or more back, there was a lot of talk about people investing in houses or condos in the Portland area because housing prices are expected to rise. I jumped on that bandwagon, for better or worse.

And now I have questions:

If you are a landlord, how did you decide how much rent to charge, especially if you wanted to live with another medical student or be somewhat choosy about your housemates? How did you decide whether to include utilities or not? Did you know ahead of time what utilities were going to be?

If you live in a shared house, how much are your utilities?

If you are a renter, how much would you be willing to pay in rent for one room or two (bedroom plus office) in a nice house in the Hawthorne area (the house has a finished basement, laundry, a little yard, easy parking, nice living room and dining room, dishwasher)?

Thanks for the help, everyone! Hope to meet you all very soon!

~Rebecca :)

Did you end up finding something? I have never rented on the East side so I can't really help you too much.... I rent in Goose Hollow (SW, 2 miles from OHSU), and it's $600 to share a 2-bed 2-bath with washer dryer in the unit with a fireplace and a mini-balcony. So ideally Hawthorne would be the same or cheaper.... Parking is easy for me, just a city permit.

...volunteering up at hospital right now.

Mini-bio on self: 30 year old single female, from Tacoma WA, but went to U of O for undergrad and an MBA. 7 years in Eugene! Have lived in Portland ever since aside from a year stint teaching English in China. Living in SW right now, near PGE park. Very excited for school to start and to meet everyone!!

PS mildly concerned about ordering the wrong sized jacket. Anyone else??

carajeanne said:
...volunteering up at hospital right now.

Mini-bio on self: 30 year old single female, from Tacoma WA, but went to U of O for undergrad and an MBA. 7 years in Eugene! Have lived in Portland ever since aside from a year stint teaching English in China. Living in SW right now, near PGE park. Very excited for school to start and to meet everyone!!

PS mildly concerned about ordering the wrong sized jacket. Anyone else??

About the jacket thing, are the sizes in chest, shoulder, or waist measurements? I'm stumped

carajeanne said:
a year stint teaching English in China.
PS mildly concerned about ordering the wrong sized jacket. Anyone else?
Welcome!

Where in china? I got stuck in china for a couple of weeks two years ago.

As for jackets, you get to try on a bunch during orientation, they just ask you to "order" a size to get an idea.

MDB0073 said:
I am happy to announce that I can officially join this thread! I just got off the waitlist this morning. I will be moving up to portland in a couple of weeks with my wife and daughter.

I'll give you a mini bio on me. I went to roseburg high, then went to Oregon state on a football scholarship. I am married with a one year old daughter. My wife is a RN and will be working at willamette falls hospital in the birth center.

Maybe I'll try to get together with some of you before orientation.

Hey my wife delivers babies there! She's a CNM. Where are you guys planning on living? We live in West Linn across the river from OC. Maybe we can car pool up to the hill. Congratulations on your admission! My wife and I went to OSU also, twice actually, BS '87 and MS '92. PM me with your wife's name and I will give my wife a heads up to make her feel welcome!

-Rob