OHSU (Oregon Health Sciences University) Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bootz said:
About the jacket thing, are the sizes in chest, shoulder, or waist measurements? I'm stumped

For guy's it's chest size. I just pulled my suit jacket out of the closet and looked at its size.

Members don't see this ad.

robh said:
For guy's it's chest size. I just pulled my suit jacket out of the closet and looked at its size.

Good to know! I would've been ordering a coat a bit too far on the small size otherwise!

I briefly talked with Andi, the PCM coordinator, yesterday, and she recommended that incoming MS1s should get their info forms in ASAP because the spots are filled as the forms come in. This info wasn't on the incoming MS1 checklist.

I called because I was having a little trouble narrowing my sub-specialty interests down to three but she said that it is okay to put down all of your interests just in case she can't place you in one of your top three. You choices can be very narrow (e.g. neurology) or very general (e.g. neuro). If you are unsure about what you want to do or if you change your mind, she'll try to put you where you want to be. Just let her know.

Oh yeah... I finally got around to doing the HIPAA and Respect at the University training yesterday, too. Ouch.

Members don't see this ad :)
bootz said:
I briefly talked with Andi, the PCM coordinator, yesterday, and she recommended that incoming MS1s should get their info forms in ASAP because the spots are filled as the forms come in. This info wasn't on the incoming MS1 checklist.

I called because I was having a little trouble narrowing my sub-specialty interests down to three but she said that it is okay to put down all of your interests just in case she can't place you in one of your top three. You choices can be very narrow (e.g. neurology) or very general (e.g. neuro). If you are unsure about what you want to do or if you change your mind, she'll try to put you where you want to be. Just let her know.

Oh yeah... I finally got around to doing the HIPAA and Respect at the University training yesterday, too. Ouch.

aren't those just the most stimulating and exciting online "classes" that you've ever taken? I had to do them when I got hired up here in my research position...hoping I can just print my certificates out again and that'll be all I have to do. Painfully boring.

on a completely different topic: Anyone still looking for a roommate? I'd really love to live up on the hill somewhere so that i can roll out of bed and make it to class in <10 minutes...biking in the rain is no fun...

Blankyblank said:
aren't those just the most stimulating and exciting online "classes" ...hoping I can just print my certificates out again and that'll be all I have to do.

Just be sure to do it while you are still employed. I tried to retroactively get my hippa printed and they had a problem accessing it because I was the only one allowed to get into my private files but I didn't have "clearance" because I wasn't an employee?!?

Hello SDNers -- this thread seems to have dwindled off, but for those of you still out there checking it, I'd like to let you know that there IS a party for all entering OHSU med students, as discussed earlier in this thread, and that it is at 7:30pm this Friday, July 21st. If you need the address, please don't hesitate to send me a private message. Cheers, and good luck getting settled in Portland!

Hi there,

I'm a 4th year medical student from Tulane, and found this thread after searching studentdoctor.net for ohsu housing leads ... I'm doing a month at OHSU from september 25 to october 16. If anyone has information about temporary sublets, feel free to PM me.

I'm a pretty quiet roommate ... won't be home much, but when I am, I'm probably a coffee-shop dweller, indie-music, yoga-y sort of type. I'm not vegetarian but I don't tend to cook a lot of meat anyway ... I'm lactose intolerant which has made me a vegan at times :)

Thanks so so much for your time,
Amy

Cinnameg said:
Hello accepted OHSU class of 2010!

I know there really aren't that many people looking at this thread right now . . . I guess everyone is either waitlisted, on hold, or waiting for the listserve to be up and running (yes, OHSU says it's not going to be up until early summer) but I wanted to let those people who DO look at this thread know that I'm going to be looking for a fellow medical student to share my house. It has three bedrooms, and I was thinking it'd be good for each of us to have one of the smaller bedrooms for sleeping and share the upstairs master bedroom as office/study space. The house also has a living room, a pretty nice kitchen, a downstairs rec/party room, and there are two full bathrooms. Also, there's on-site laundry.

The house is on SE 12th (as in, 12 blocks from the river on the east side), 2 blocks from Hawthorne street where a frequently-running bus goes straight to downtown. To get to OHSU from there you just catch the 8 bus, also frequently-running. Tri-met says the commute is about 40 minutes, which will actually be a whole lot shorter whenever that tram gets finished.

Rent is negociable.

At this point all I know is that I'm looking for a person who isn't allergic to cats -- because I have one very furry cat -- and who isn't a light sleeper. I'm not super noisy, I don't tend to play music or tap dance (don't even know how), but I do keep odd hours sometimes, and I wouldn't want a housemate that woke up at the sound of me walking around the house or talking in normal tones on the phone. I'd also prefer a vegetarian, but as long as you aren't cooking fish and steak all the time it'll be ok.

About me: I'm 24, took 2 years "off" after college to do a post-bac program and also worked as a behavioral therapist with autistic kids, and then as a therapist/social worker with schizophrenic adults. My BA is in psychology, during undergrad I was a crisis counselor, did psych research, etc. My hobbies are mainly artistic, like acrylic painting, classical singing (I don't practice when anyone else is home, don't worry), karaoke, going to galleries, etc. I'm also a fan of breweries & wineries & film . . . also doing outdoors activities when there's time, which there hasn't been lately. At home I mostly read, mess around online (like now!), study, and paint. I'm good at cooking -- I lived in a co-op for a few years and had to cook for lots of people -- but I'm out of the habit. I'm a dedicated recycler, and I don't care much if things are disorganized or in disarray but I like things to be clean. My favorite household appliance is the dishwasher.

So, if you think we might be a good match, send me a private message thru the forum! Thanks! :)

Hey, are you guys going to join the AMSA?

Cinnameg, I am sorry I missed your party!! I was in town but hadn't checked this thread for a couple of weeks! How was it?

carajeanne said:
Hey, are you guys going to join the AMSA?

Cinnameg, I am sorry I missed your party!! I was in town but hadn't checked this thread for a couple of weeks! How was it?

Don't worry, there'll be other parties. I've got this bar in the basement that just demands me to invite people over. :) See you August 14th!

robh said:

Rob, quick question for you.... did you take the Princeton Review for the 2005 April MCAT??

carajeanne said:
Rob, quick question for you.... did you take the Princeton Review for the 2005 April MCAT??

Yes I did...are you the Cara from my TPR class? Obviously you must be. Congratulations on your success!

Hi guys,

I'm going to be a 2nd year in a couple of weeks.....just like to say hello and welcome to OHSU!

HappyMedStudent said:
Hi guys,

I'm going to be a 2nd year in a couple of weeks.....just like to say hello and welcome to OHSU!

Hello. Thanks for the welcome.

What's everybody doing this week?? I decided that Im going to go on a bender until Sunday morning.

Hey, why does OHSU have on call rooms for psych and family practice?