OHSU (Oregon Health Sciences University) Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cinnameg

"the psych machine"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow acceptees of OHSU! Let's introduce ourselves, perhaps, as a way to get this thread rolling?

I can start: I was an applicant to the MD/MPH program but I'm hold for that, accepted only to the MD program for now (got the letter yesterday). I'm two years out of college and I live in California, although I grew up in Portland (Lincoln High) and I really love the city. The only way I would even consider not going to OHSU is if Cleveland Clinic or Case Western took me off of their waitlists, and then it would be a very hard choice. I'd like to get to know people on this forum who might be my classmates! I'm also looking for an apartment-mate.

Let's get this party started!

Members don't see this ad.

I also grew up in Portland and now live there part time (I'm in Corvallis also). I was accepted to OHSU in January and will be attending this fall. Nice to meet you.

Todd

Yay...I finally get to join this thread! I'm an Oregon resident and was actually directly accepted. go figure! ;) I grew up in good ole Salem (So-Lame as it is so affectionately called) and just moved back here from Corvallis. I did my post-bacc in Corvallis at OSU. Now I work at the hospital and am getting very excited about starting med school this fall. I'm still waiting to hear from 2 other schools...which could make it a very hard decision....but we'll see! I'm just very excited to have the chance to go to OHSU!!!

I am truly an Oregonian at heart...when I went to California to do my undergrad, I actually missed the rain. And I thoroughly enjoy running in the rain. weird, I know....but true.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received my acceptance packet today and it indicates orientation starts August 14. Does anyone know when classes would begin?

MTodd said:
I just received my acceptance packet today and it indicates orientation starts August 14. Does anyone know when classes would begin?

I believe August 28th...I remember reading that somewhere.

Yeah, I looked at last year's calendar and it appears the orientation lasts 2 weeks. It's pretty comprehensive and covers a lot of things to introduce new students to medical school. I glad they do that so we can get all that extra stuff taken care of before classes begin. Here's a link to that last year's schedule:

http://www.ohsu.edu/som/dean/md/docs/sa/transition2005.pdf

Cinnameg said:
Hello fellow acceptees of OHSU! Let's introduce ourselves, perhaps, as a way to get this thread rolling?

I can start: I was an applicant to the MD/MPH program but I'm hold for that, accepted only to the MD program for now (got the letter yesterday). I'm two years out of college and I live in California, although I grew up in Portland (Lincoln High) and I really love the city. The only way I would even consider not going to OHSU is if Cleveland Clinic or Case Western took me off of their waitlists, and then it would be a very hard choice. I'd like to get to know people on this forum who might be my classmates! I'm also looking for an apartment-mate.

Let's get this party started!

Hey - I'm from a little town by Corvallis and am going to be in the regular MD program this fall. I'm also looking for someone(s) to share an apartment with... last time I got randomly paired was freshman year with a guy who wouldn't speak to me for six months because he thought I stole his kayak... Since we don't have a formal second look, would you guys be interested in arranging some kind of get-together in Portland before the year starts? I'm flying back to OR in a week -- can't wait...

Cinnameg said:

Hey all!

I'm excited to say that I just received my acceptance to OHSU, and I'm almost definately going there this coming year.

I'm also two years out of college, living in SoCal right now. I'm also on the hold list for Case Western, but I really liked Portland so much more than Ohio.

Anyone heading to Portland for the summer?

veighnkman said:
Hey all!

I'm excited to say that I just received my acceptance to OHSU, and I'm almost definately going there this coming year.

I'm also two years out of college, living in SoCal right now. I'm also on the hold list for Case Western, but I really liked Portland so much more than Ohio.

When did you guys/gals interview? I interviewed March 1st and this Wednesday will be the 4 week mark...they said it would be more like 6 weeks, but I just wanted to know your interview dates. Thanks!

nicholasblonde said:
When did you guys/gals interview? I interviewed March 1st and this Wednesday will be the 4 week mark...they said it would be more like 6 weeks, but I just wanted to know your interview dates. Thanks!

i interviewed back in december and got a decision six weeks later -- good luck. by the way, if anyone is interested in doing research at OHSU (through the VA) this summer i think there are some fellowship positions still available. it's not much money, but i talked to the lady in charge today and it seemed pretty cool. you can find details on the OHSU website under summer stuff... i'm pretty sure i'll be up there. oh, and the deadline for application is april 5

For those of you who are already accepted, did you walk away from your interviews feeling like you would be accepted? Or did you think you may end up on hold and then were pleasantly surprised?

I am just asking since I interviewed a few months ago, ended up on hold (I expected it--one interview went great, the other was bizarre) and really wish I knew where I was ranked.... If this is just a delayed acceptance then great, but it if it is going to be bad news I'd rather just know now so that I could move on, rather than have it linger for months. :scared:
Also, did you guys mostly interview with clinicians, researchers, a mix?

Anyway, congrats to all of you!! I have my fingers crossed that I will be able to officially join this thread in May! :)

star22 said:
For those of you who are already accepted, did you walk away from your interviews feeling like you would be accepted? Or did you think you may end up on hold and then were pleasantly surprised?

I interviewed at the beginning of February but didn't hear back until last week. It was around 7 or 8 weeks for me. I came out of my interviews with no idea- all my interviewers had been fairly serious and stoic. I figured I would end up on hold...

star22 said:

I am just asking since I interviewed a few months ago, ended up on hold (I expected it--one interview went great, the other was bizarre) and really wish I knew where I was ranked.... If this is just a delayed acceptance then great, but it if it is going to be bad news I'd rather just know now so that I could move on, rather than have it linger for months. :scared:

Anyway, congrats to all of you!! I have my fingers crossed that I will be able to officially join this thread in May! :)

I interviewed with a cardiologist and another MD who does medical informatics and doesn't practice. Both of them were really enthusiastic, but given my experiences at other schools I wasn't banking on anything (I found there to be almost no correlation be a "good" interview and an acceptance).

They tell you where you're ranked in May, right? I remember something about them going 60-80 deep on an averyage year, but I could be wrong. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
star22 said:

I interviewed at the beginning of Feb and received an acceptance in 5 weeks. I was VERY, VERY surprised.

One of my interviewers is a retired otolaryngologist and now a Dean of Clinical Affairs. He didn't show very much expression during my interview so I thought he was completely bored with me. During the interview my whole goal was to make him crack a smile...which he finally did at the end. :) My second interview was great, with a pediatrician. We had more of a conversation than an interview, talked about traveling, family, hobbies, etc. So I had no idea if I was going to be waitlisted, rejected, or *maybe* accepted when I left campus...after I had locked my keys in the car and had to call Campus Security and then a locksmith. (I thought it was a bad sign).

I had prepared myself to sit all summer on the waitlist, or just deal with a rejection, so I could hardly believe it when I got the acceptance. And now that I am waitlisted at BU, I just feel like this is another sign (yes, I am superstitious) that I shouldn't pass up the opportunity to attend OHSU. I am pretty darn sure I will be at OHSU come fall!!! :) :) :)

good luck to you star22, and the rest of you waiting!

kathyt009 said:
I interviewed at the beginning of Feb and received an acceptance in 5 weeks. I was VERY, VERY surprised.

One of my interviewers is a retired otolaryngologist and now a Dean of Clinical Affairs. He didn't show very much expression during my interview so I thought he was completely bored with me. During the interview my whole goal was to make him crack a smile...which he finally did at the end. :) My second interview was great, with a pediatrician. We had more of a conversation than an interview, talked about traveling, family, hobbies, etc. So I had no idea if I was going to be waitlisted, rejected, or *maybe* accepted when I left campus...after I had locked my keys in the car and had to call Campus Security and then a locksmith. (I thought it was a bad sign).

I had prepared myself to sit all summer on the waitlist, or just deal with a rejection, so I could hardly believe it when I got the acceptance. And now that I am waitlisted at BU, I just feel like this is another sign (yes, I am superstitious) that I shouldn't pass up the opportunity to attend OHSU. I am pretty darn sure I will be at OHSU come fall!!! :) :) :)

good luck to you star22, and the rest of you waiting!

Were the acceptances snail mail or e-mail? I've been checking my mail every day, since most of their communication has been via snail mail. Here's hoping I get an acceptance! I am holding a spot at SLU and I want to be able to give that up if I get accepted to OHSU, out of courtesy to others who might be trying to get into SLU who don't have any other acceptances yet.

Here's hoping I get to meet ya'll at orientation on that lovely hill in Portland this August!!!

Sorry, I'm not an OHSU guy, just a former Oregonian. I'm went to high school in Junction City, then moved to Corvallis where I lived for 5+ years while I attended OSU. Just saying hello to y'all and congrats on getting in! :)

nicholasblonde said:
Were the acceptances snail mail or e-mail? I've been checking my mail every day, since most of their communication has been via snail mail. Here's hoping I get an acceptance! I am holding a spot at SLU and I want to be able to give that up if I get accepted to OHSU, out of courtesy to others who might be trying to get into SLU who don't have any other acceptances yet.

Here's hoping I get to meet ya'll at orientation on that lovely hill in Portland this August!!!

everything i got from OHSU was snail mail, and my acceptance came in a very thin envelope.... good luck man!

Woohoo! I'm in! I'll see you guys in the Fall...

I'm glad to see a lot of people from OR on here - I'm at OSU, and when I withdrew from OHSU, I wrote in my letter that I hope that they give my interview spot to an OR resident... not like I care what they think, I'm not going there anyway.

especially glad to see you got in, Kathy, seeing as how I think I know which Kathy this is - the same one that volunteers at CO?

kupono3 said:
I'm glad to see a lot of people from OR on here - I'm at OSU, and when I withdrew from OHSU, I wrote in my letter that I hope that they give my interview spot to an OR resident... not like I care what they think, I'm not going there anyway.

especially glad to see you got in, Kathy, seeing as how I think I know which Kathy this is - the same one that volunteers at CO?

yes, it is me!! who is this??? I can't figure out from your user name. I just volunteered last week and will be volunteering on Friday. Thanks for the congrats though!

kathyt009 said:
yes, it is me!! who is this??? I can't figure out from your user name. I just volunteered last week and will be volunteering on Friday. Thanks for the congrats though!

haha, this is Brett... and now that I think about it, I might be on to coordinate on Friday, although I forget. I usually just wait for the phone call.

The same day you did! Good luck! :luck:

I was just looking at craigslist and it looks like there are a lot of places available. Do you guys know of any other places to look for housing? It looks like I'll be moving to PDX at the end of May...

bootz said:
I was just looking at craigslist and it looks like there are a lot of places available. Do you guys know of any other places to look for housing? It looks like I'll be moving to PDX at the end of May...

yeah, it seems like craigslist has the best stuff. what neighborhood are you looking in? i'm going to try to live within walking distance of the campus (being from backwoods OR means i don't know portland well at all so it's been interesting). also, to further emphasize how messed up OHSU's timeline is, i got an email today that gave me access to their "ISIS" system (which is like blackboard), so apparently i can sign up for classes even though i haven't formally committed to the school... anyone else get this? weird.

any of you guys current OSU students? i'm doing the genetics requirement over there right now.

oldprospector said:
yeah, it seems like craigslist has the best stuff. what neighborhood are you looking in? i'm going to try to live within walking distance of the campus (being from backwoods OR means i don't know portland well at all so it's been interesting). also, to further emphasize how messed up OHSU's timeline is, i got an email today that gave me access to their "ISIS" system (which is like blackboard), so apparently i can sign up for classes even though i haven't formally committed to the school... anyone else get this? weird.

any of you guys current OSU students? i'm doing the genetics requirement over there right now.

That's cool that you can access ISIS. I guess that means you are officially in the system. I haven't gotten my acceptance packet yet so I haven't done any of the paperwork yet. I'm just glad we don't have to pay a deposit to hold a spot in the class.

As for finding a place to live, I've been looking for places that are an easy bike ride to campus or close to public transportation. My wife and I are excited about the number of affordable houses that are available in the area, too. After living in SF and LA for the last nine years, it is going to be nice to have a lot of room to grow into.

We are planning on moving our stuff to Portland at the end of May and then traveling throughout South America in June and July.

oldprospector said:

hey all! I'm looking into buying a condo or townhome in Portland. I really want to be close-in...but it's so much more affordable in the suburbs. We'll see....but I still might just sacrifice space/newness for location. such is life.

old prospector-I took Genetics last year with Rivin. But it was winter term, not spring term. Which prof do you have? I miss OSU in the spring...it's so pretty down there. :)

Brett-I'll see ya on Friday!

hey, can any of you guys please give me the direct phone number to the admissions office? i know it was on the interview packet but i can't find it right now. thanks!

Kathy- It looks like buying a house/apartment isn't a bad deal at all!

PD - I PM'ed you the number...

kathyt009 said:
hey all! I'm looking into buying a condo or townhome in Portland. I really want to be close-in...but it's so much more affordable in the suburbs. We'll see....but I still might just sacrifice space/newness for location. such is life.

old prospector-I took Genetics last year with Rivin. But it was winter term, not spring term. Which prof do you have? I miss OSU in the spring...it's so pretty down there. :)

Brett-I'll see ya on Friday!

I currently live in Portland (I live in NE) and have a house that is pretty close-in and relatively affordable. The area is very young, vibrant (ie lots of coffee shops, restaurants, etc). The area has changed a lot in the past few years, and I am sure there are a lot of people that think of NE as a bad area (and there are still parts that are bad), but the close-in neighborhoods are actually really cool. You might want to check that area out-- the #8 bus goes directly from NE to OHSU, which is convenient.

kathyt009 said:

i've got professor taylor... she seems great so far. it's bizarre for me to finally be taking a class at OSU -- i grew up pretty close, but my only other real experience with the campus was trying to sneak into parties during high school. haha, i'm finally legitimate over there

star22 said:
I currently live in Portland (I live in NE) and have a house that is pretty close-in and relatively affordable. The area is very young, vibrant (ie lots of coffee shops, restaurants, etc). The area has changed a lot in the past few years, and I am sure there are a lot of people that think of NE as a bad area (and there are still parts that are bad), but the close-in neighborhoods are actually really cool. You might want to check that area out-- the #8 bus goes directly from NE to OHSU, which is convenient.

Thanks for the info star22, I'm actually planning to look at a few places this weekend. One is in NE...I'm still not familiar with all the neighborhoods but it's close to Legacy Emanual. How far east would you consider it not close-in? I'm not as familiar with the east side. Yeah, I've heard about the bad rep that NE PDX gets...but I think that's old news (and relative...after living abroad and in the Bay Area...it's all common sense). I'm getting so excited to make the move to Portland!!! yay!

bootz said:
Kathy- It looks like buying a house/apartment isn't a bad deal at all!

I know! exciting isn't it?!

kathyt009 said:
Thanks for the info star22, I'm actually planning to look at a few places this weekend. One is in NE...I'm still not familiar with all the neighborhoods but it's close to Legacy Emanual. How far east would you consider it not close-in? I'm not as familiar with the east side. Yeah, I've heard about the bad rep that NE PDX gets...but I think that's old news (and relative...after living abroad and in the Bay Area...it's all common sense). I'm getting so excited to make the move to Portland!!!

IMO, the area around Emaunal would be awesome. I live in the Alberta area (I know of a couple of med students in my neighborhood), but part of me wishes I would have boughten a place in Boise-Eliot. It is still a little edgy but there is so much gentrification that I bet anything you buy over there would appreciate a lot in 4 years because it really is very close to downtown. There is cardiology fellow that has house in that area (Stanton and Williams) and he can walk to the pearl district (via the Broadway bridge) in ~20 mins. If you have time while you are here, you might want to check Mississippi Ave, Fremont Ave and Alberta Ave areas (which are fairly close to there too).

As for how far east, I think that is personal preference. There are nice neighborhoods as far as 82nd (Rose city park, Beaumont, East side of Mt. Tabor), but the commute might be pretty long. If you can live close to a Max stop or a good bus line, it would probably make your commute easier (the neighborhood around emanual has bike lanes all the way to OHSU if you take broadway). There are also really nice parts of SE (but probably much pricier).
Have fun looking (I think its really fun looking for a new place!) :luck:

I live in a condo at Jantzen Beach (north Portland on the river). We are not looking for any roommates; however, we have extra space at our place if any 2010 OHSU people need a place to crash while they look around Portland. We are relatively close to downtown and walking distance to the Tri-Met MAX line (Expo connection). If anyone is interested, just email me at [email protected] and I'll hook you up.

MTodd said:
I live in a condo at Jantzen Beach (north Portland on the river). We are not looking for any roommates; however, we have extra space at our place if any 2010 OHSU people need a place to crash while they look around Portland. We are relatively close to downtown and walking distance to the Tri-Met MAX line (Expo connection). If anyone is interested, just email me at [email protected] and I'll hook you up.
Awesome, thanks Todd!

How long does the commute to OHSU take from your place?

It's about 9 miles from our place to OHSU. If traffic is not too heavy, I can get there by car in about 10 minutes. I could bike it in about 40 minutes (it's a nice path). I haven't used the Max Line/Bus to travel there yet.

Hello from a current MSI! congratz on your acceptance and if you are still waiting realize that acceptance letters come in THIN envelopes. I almost fainted when I checked my mail last year and then when I actually read the letter I amost fainted again.

I'm not so good about checking snd lately, too much reading :( but if anyone has any questions about where to live (there are LOTs of options), what to get before you come (nothing, trust me the third years will be selling all of their books), what to do this summer (take time off) etc feel free to email me [email protected]

once again congratz!!!

I just got my acceptance letter yesterday!!! It is so awesome finally knowing where I'm going to be for the next four years...I am definitely giving up my spot at Saint Louis University.

I've heard that any condos/houses on the hill are ultra-expensive to buy, and that renting is the only way to be within walking distance of the school...here is my question--are there any affordable (<$100K) condos down by the river, next to where the new cable car will be? That seems like it might be a viable and affordable option. Not sure when it will be finished, but I heard it will depart every 6 minutes for the main hospital complex. See you all this Fall!!!

nicholasblonde said:
I just got my acceptance letter yesterday!!! It is so awesome finally knowing where I'm going to be for the next four years...I am definitely giving up my spot at Saint Louis University.

I've heard that any condos/houses on the hill are ultra-expensive to buy, and that renting is the only way to be within walking distance of the school...here is my question--are there any affordable (<$100K) condos down by the river, next to where the new cable car will be? That seems like it might be a viable and affordable option. Not sure when it will be finished, but I heard it will depart every 6 minutes for the main hospital complex. See you all this Fall!!!

Congrats on your acceptance!

Here are some of the first condos down there.....

http://www.portlandcondos.com/portland-oregon-south-waterfront-homes.html

I doubt anything down there will be less than 500K.

nicholasblonde said:

Congrats! I knew you had good news on the way. I am glad to know that others from our interview group have gotten in and are planning to attend... :thumbup:

When are you planning to move to Portland?

jmk said:
Hello from a current MSI! congratz on your acceptance and if you are still waiting realize that acceptance letters come in THIN envelopes. I almost fainted when I checked my mail last year and then when I actually read the letter I amost fainted again.

I'm not so good about checking snd lately, too much reading :( but if anyone has any questions about where to live (there are LOTs of options), what to get before you come (nothing, trust me the third years will be selling all of their books), what to do this summer (take time off) etc feel free to email me [email protected]

once again congratz!!!

Thanks Jessi!

nicholasblonde said:

CONGRATS!!! yay!!!

I think it will be hard to find a condo under $100K anywhere within walking distance to OHSU...I've seen one around $104 on the west side (driving distance), and if you venture out of Portland city limits you might be able to find more in that range. (maybe Gresham or Vancouver?). I've been looking for condos and have had to bump up my initital estimates. good luck!

and congrats again!!!

veighnkman said:
Hey all!

I'll be in Portland starting July 15th. Anybody else going to be there that early? It'd be great to know you guys.

pdiddy348 said:
hey, can any of you guys please give me the direct phone number to the admissions office? i know it was on the interview packet but i can't find it right now. thanks!

Your mdapplicants thingie says you'll be attending UC-Irvine. Are you withdrawing from OHSU?

star22 said:

What do you think of Sellwood? It seems cheaper than the Hawthorne (which is an area I know I like because I hung out there a lot the last time I lived in Portland). Is Sellwood up and coming?

kathyt009 said:
Thanks for the info star22, I'm actually planning to look at a few places this weekend. One is in NE...I'm still not familiar with all the neighborhoods but it's close to Legacy Emanual. How far east would you consider it not close-in? I'm not as familiar with the east side. Yeah, I've heard about the bad rep that NE PDX gets...but I think that's old news (and relative...after living abroad and in the Bay Area...it's all common sense). I'm getting so excited to make the move to Portland!!! yay!

I know! exciting isn't it?!

Where did you live in the Bay Area? I live there now, in Oakland.

Cinnameg said:
I'll be in Portland starting July 15th. Anybody else going to be there that early? It'd be great to know you guys.

From the 5-1-0 I see... I lived in Berkeley for 6 years, I miss the Bay Area. My woman and I will be moving to Portland at the end of next month so count me in. PM me when you are on the way.. :thumbup:

Hello fellow admits to OHSU! I was just mildly curious about how many people going to OHSU (residents or non-residents) went to college outside of Oregon? If so, where? Anybody else go to college in California, realize how great Oregon really is, and decide to move back?

Thanks. :)

FYI - my own story is I went to college in the Bay Area and then stayed here post-graduation to do a year of post-baccalaureate classes at Mills in Oakland and then work at UCSF during my application year.

bootz said:
From the 5-1-0 I see... I lived in Berkeley for 6 years, I miss the Bay Area. My woman and I will be moving to Portland at the end of next month so count me in. PM me when you are on the way.. :thumbup:

Are you still living in Berkeley now? I've been in the Bay Area for 6 years and right now I live in Oakland and hang out in Berkeley a lot.

Cinnameg said:
Are you still living in Berkeley now? I've been in the Bay Area for 6 years and right now I live in Oakland and hang out in Berkeley a lot.

Nah... I live in L.A. now, not by choice, but because I transferred from a 2-year to UCLA. I miss it though. I come up to visit quite a bit since I still have a lot of friends and family in the area.

You ever check out burningman?