OHSU (Oregon Health Sciences University) Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cinnameg said:
Did this thread just die? I am humming the funeral march. :confused:

Not dead yet! Its just the calm before the May 15th storm...

BTW, anyone get a financial aid estimate yet?

Members don't see this ad.

No financial aid stuff yet...last thing I heard was early to mid June. And does anyone know what the deal is with scholarships? I heard they give them out kind of randomly throughout 1st and 2nd years, so I'm guessing it depends on your performance once you start classes but I really have no idea. Does anyone have any info on this?

Also, is anyone else thinking of living on the hill? The prospect of a 40 min. commute from anywhere but SE freaking me out, but I guess a lot (most?) of the class deals with it. I think the only reasonable solution is lots and lots more trams.

oldprospector said:
No financial aid stuff yet...last thing I heard was early to mid June. And does anyone know what the deal is with scholarships? I heard they give them out kind of randomly throughout 1st and 2nd years, so I'm guessing it depends on your performance once you start classes but I really have no idea. Does anyone have any info on this?

Also, is anyone else thinking of living on the hill? The prospect of a 40 min. commute from anywhere but SE freaking me out, but I guess a lot (most?) of the class deals with it. I think the only reasonable solution is lots and lots more trams.

I have no idea about the qualifications needed to get a scholarship. If I get a call from one of the students I'll ask them about it.

Like I mentioned earlier, I decided to live close to campus for the first year until I get a better feel for the area. I couldn't imagine making a long commute home after a long study session on campus, especially during the first two years. Being a five-minute bike ride away from my bed is a big plus for me. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
bootz said:
I have no idea about the qualifications needed to get a scholarship. If I get a call from one of the students I'll ask them about it.

Like I mentioned earlier, I decided to live close to campus for the first year until I get a better feel for the area. I couldn't imagine making a long commute home after a long study session on campus, especially during the first two years. Being a five-minute bike ride away from my bed is a big plus for me. :thumbup:

So, for the first year, it makes sense to live near campus, because who knows when the tram will start working? But after that, commutes will hopefully get a lot shorter.

I'm going to live on SE 12th because I got a good deal on a house there, and it's going to be a 40 min commute with 2 busses (one into downtown, one from downtown up the hill), but I figure that commute will be cut in half once the sky trams get up and running. There might even be a way to park at the base of the sky tram and then take the 3-minute ride up.

bootz said:
Not dead yet! Its just the calm before the May 15th storm...

BTW, anyone get a financial aid estimate yet?

Why is the storm on May 15th? Didn't OHSU just finish sending out all of their offers to accepted applicants, enough to fill the class? I don't get what's going on, exactly . . . .

Cinnameg said:
Why is the storm on May 15th? Didn't OHSU just finish sending out all of their offers to accepted applicants, enough to fill the class? I don't get what's going on, exactly . . . .

Nope, they had their final meeting today. Everything is supposed to mail tomorrow, so we're all supposed to hear by the 15th. So it's more like haven't started yet instead of just finished. It's great to live in the state with the slowest school. :rolleyes:

exlawgrrl said:
Nope, they had their final meeting today. Everything is supposed to mail tomorrow, so we're all supposed to hear by the 15th. So it's more like haven't started yet instead of just finished. It's great to live in the state with the slowest school. :rolleyes:

Wow, that really sucks. Someone called today and found out over the phone, right?

I really want people to know that they're going to OHSU so I can find a roommate. It's cutting it kinda close for housing, in my opinion.

Cinnameg said:
So, for the first year, it makes sense to live near campus, because who knows when the tram will start working? But after that, commutes will hopefully get a lot shorter.

I'm going to live on SE 12th because I got a good deal on a house there, and it's going to be a 40 min commute with 2 busses (one into downtown, one from downtown up the hill), but I figure that commute will be cut in half once the sky trams get up and running. There might even be a way to park at the base of the sky tram and then take the 3-minute ride up.

Nice! What neighborhood is SE 12th in exactly?

bootz said:

About the scholarships...I received a scholarship from the school during first and second year and maybe third year, but I can't remember. They range from 3K-5K, not a ton of money, but anything helps.
I think that everybody gets them and as far as I know, they are not based on academic performance. I think everybody gets the same amount, but could definetly be wrong, as I didn't talk to a lot of people about it.
I received a scholarship from the school during first and second year and maybe third year, but I can't remember. They range from 3K-5K per year, not a ton of money, but anything helps. I think a lot depends on how much money the school of medicine receives.

bootz said:
Nice! What neighborhood is SE 12th in exactly?

I'm on the edge of Ladd's Addition, 2 blocks from Hawthorne on 12th (that's the west border of Ladd's, the side closest to the river). So you could either say it's in Ladd's or Abernathy.

BTW, thank you for your positive comment on my mdapplicants page. I just filled out that thing today . . . such a procrastinator. :p

Cinnameg said:
Wow, that really sucks. Someone called today and found out over the phone, right?

That was me. Everyone else from the "news from OHSU" thread has been rejected so far: Star22, nyc, Dr. Weebs, exlawgrrl, Hassler. Captain_obvious is #130 which is probably not going to net him a seat. :( I've feel like I got to know them over these months of waiting. I'm disappointed they won't be my classmates, but I'm very happy to be going to OHSU.

robh said:
That was me. Everyone else from the "news from OHSU" thread has been rejected so far: Star22, nyc, Dr. Weebs, exlawgrrl, Hassler. Captain_obvious is #130 which is probably not going to net him a seat. :( I've feel like I got to know them over these months of waiting. I'm disappointed they won't be my classmates, but I'm very happy to be going to OHSU.

Congratulations!!!

Well, as of 9 am this morning I can officially stop stalking all of you already-accepted people's threads and join you! I emailed Debbie last night and she replied saying that I am in!!!!!

I already live in Portland, went to U of O for undergrad and did my pre-req's at PSU.

And this is officially one of the best days of my entire life!! Can't wait to meet you guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
carajeanne said:
Well, as of 9 am this morning I can officially stop stalking all of you already-accepted people's threads and join you! I emailed Debbie last night and she replied saying that I am in!!!!!

I already live in Portland, went to U of O for undergrad and did my pre-req's at PSU.

And this is officially one of the best days of my entire life!! Can't wait to meet you guys!

Congratulations!

YAY! Now we're in business! More instaters, too! :thumbup: (I told you this thread wasn't dead yet Cinnameg! :p )

Congrats to all of you! Just when you thought the waiting was over the application PACKET and financial aid estimate countdown begins. LOL. Its worth the wait though. I hope you guys have something fun planned before classes start. I've actually been practicing using my textbooks as pillows for the last couple of weeks. Next week I'll practice sleeping upright and after that I'll switch chairs and... I need to get my chops up... Okay, I'm in lego mood right now, sorry if I scared some of you guys...

carajeanne said:

Hooray for another Oregonian...carajeanne!!! Congratulations!!! I'm getting so excited for August!!!

carajeanne said:

Congratulations! :) Happy to have you on this thread!

Did you grow up in Portland?

robh said:

You were the one who was in at Case but has a family in Portland, right?

Congratulations! Look forward to meeting you!

but honestly I don't know how we'll know each other in person, any of us on any of these threads. Maybe we'll start guessing and during orientation we'll say to people things like, "hey, are you bootz?" Could be a fun game. :p

Cinnameg said:

but honestly I don't know how we'll know each other in person, any of us on any of these threads. Maybe we'll start guessing and during orientation we'll say to people things like, "hey, are you bootz?" Could be a fun game. :p

Right, that's me. I'm still kind of in shock after waiting for 8 months (I interviewed in October). My wife and kids are overjoyed. It's bittersweet for me because I love Case, but when I consider all the factors, OHSU is a better school for me. I'm very excited about getting started and meeting everyone.

Hoorah! Now I can post in the fun thread, too!

I found out yesterday after the admissions-phoning barrage started (thanks robh!) and have had a permagrin ever since! Kind of embarassing to admit, but I actually did a little dance when I got the good news...:)

We can add another 2010-er to the homegrown Oregonian list! Born and grew up in Roseburg, went to undergrad at OSU and then moved to Portland to work at OHSU and get my foot in the door (looks like maybe it worked?!).

I can't wait to meet you all! :D

Cinnameg said:

Wow, what was I talking about yesterday?! I guess I got a little overexcited for robh and carajeanne (congrats to blankyblank too!). I was just imagining robh's kids jumping on their beds with their shoes on and running around house screaming at the top of their lungs. It musta been quite a scene when he broke the news. Sorry if my comments sounded insensitive especially to some of the others that didn't get in or are still waiting (I'm still pullin' for you guys..) :luck:

As for IDing other SDNers:
We could come up with a subtle signal to display during conversations with other MS1s orientation day (e.g. bootz has an itchy earlobe) or we could all have an OHSU SDNers get-together before orientation at Cinnameg's house (tell your non-SDN friends about it too!). :laugh:

No seriously, I can't wait to meet everyone, whenever and whereever. Y'all rock... :thumbup:

Blankyblank said:
Hoorah! Now I can post in the fun thread, too!

I found out yesterday after the admissions-phoning barrage started (thanks robh!) and have had a permagrin ever since! Kind of embarassing to admit, but I actually did a little dance when I got the good news...:)

We can add another 2010-er to the homegrown Oregonian list! Born and grew up in Roseburg, went to undergrad at OSU and then moved to Portland to work at OHSU and get my foot in the door (looks like maybe it worked?!).

I can't wait to meet you all! :D

Your avatar is soooooo cute!

Thanks! I can't claim him/her as my own, but I liked the picture! I actually stole it from my buddy's website (www.venganza.org), so I should probably give him props :)
Have you heard about the Flying Spaghetii Monster yet? I've got a direct line to the head prophet (friends since pre-kindergarten and OHSU will be the first school that we haven't both attended) if you want any noodly blessings!

Blankyblank said:
Thanks! I can't claim him/her as my own, but I liked the picture! I actually stole it from my buddy's website (www.venganza.org), so I should probably give him props :)
Have you heard about the Flying Spaghetii Monster yet? I've got a direct line to the head prophet (friends since pre-kindergarten and OHSU will be the first school that we haven't both attended) if you want any noodly blessings!

AWESOME! I am so going to have you send my prayers to the Flying Spaghetii Monster when we take our first exams!!! Maybe we could start a "Fellowship of the Flying Spaghetti Monster" chapter at OHSU. I think the government funds "faith-based" organizations these days, so we could probably score some grant money to do community spaghetti dinners.

Cinnameg said:
Congratulations! :) Happy to have you on this thread!

Did you grow up in Portland?

Just got my letter in the mail, it's official!! So excited! I'm not from Portland, but I've been living here since 2001 and have been in Oregon since I was 18 (12 years now!) So I feel very loyal.

I'm going to run out and enjoy the sunshine! Those of us in Portland should try to meet up before school starts!

bootz said:
I was just imagining robh's kids jumping on their beds with their shoes on and running around house screaming at the top of their lungs. It musta been quite a scene when he broke the news.

If you add my wife to the mix, you've got the picture!

We should get together somewhere during orientation week(s).

I was born at OHSU. So in a way, I'm going back to the womb...

robh said:
If you add my wife to the mix, you've got the picture!

We should get together somewhere during orientation week(s).

I was born at OHSU. So in a way, I'm going back to the womb...

Hey I was born at OHSU, too! ...back when it was still University of Oregon. My funny dad said the same thing about going back to the womb...crazy, isn't it? Life is so cyclic.

As soon as I nail down where I will be living...I would love to host a get together! Every time I get the nerve to make an offer on a house...it goes sale pending. I'm getting serious now, now that I know I am for sure OHSU...game on!

bootz said:
Wow, what was I talking about yesterday?! I guess I got a little overexcited for robh and carajeanne (congrats to blankyblank too!). I was just imagining robh's kids jumping on their beds with their shoes on and running around house screaming at the top of their lungs. It musta been quite a scene when he broke the news. Sorry if my comments sounded insensitive especially to some of the others that didn't get in or are still waiting (I'm still pullin' for you guys..) :luck:

As for IDing other SDNers:
We could come up with a subtle signal to display during conversations with other MS1s orientation day (e.g. bootz has an itchy earlobe) or we could all have an OHSU SDNers get-together before orientation at Cinnameg's house (tell your non-SDN friends about it too!). :laugh:

No seriously, I can't wait to meet everyone, whenever and whereever. Y'all rock... :thumbup:

I think it'd be super to have a Spaghetti party at my house in late July, or whenever people get here. :) Love to meet you all (and yes, Robh's kids too). We can sacrifice splashes of wine to our pagan Spaghetti Monster god.

Blankyblank said:

I love the Flying Spaghetti Monster! Worship him! Can I get some noodley blessings?

Cinnameg said:
I love the Flying Spaghetti Monster! Worship him! Can I get some noodley blessings?

I was born at Good Sam. Any other Good Sam babies?

kathyt009 said:
Hey I was born at OHSU, too! ...back when it was still University of Oregon. My funny dad said the same thing about going back to the womb...crazy, isn't it? Life is so cyclic.

As soon as I nail down where I will be living...I would love to host a get together! Every time I get the nerve to make an offer on a house...it goes sale pending. I'm getting serious now, now that I know I am for sure OHSU...game on!

Where are you looking, out of curiosity?

And . . . does anybody know any good places to get furniture around here? There's no IKEA, and I'm gonna be a wee bit low on furniture when I move in July.

Slightly worried about the May 15th deadline for multiple acceptances.... I had to cancel my other acceptance Friday afternoon after getting the email from Debbie, but only got an auto-response saying they'd try to get to me in 3 business days. Have not heard back on a confirmation of my withdrawal...will AMCAS do something bad to me if I'm not officially withdrawn from there before the 15th? (like take away my OHSU spot?!)Concerned because I haven't been able to do anything over the weekend. Anyone know for sure?

Cinnameg said:
Where are you looking, out of curiosity?

And . . . does anybody know any good places to get furniture around here? There's no IKEA, and I'm gonna be a wee bit low on furniture when I move in July.

anywhere and everywhere close-in. I'm trying to keep my bus commute under 50 minutes. I've looked in SW, SE, and NE...NW is too spendy for my budget. I've rented in NW before...so I'm excited to try out a new neighborhood. Lately my options have been in Sellwood and Woodstock...we'll see!!!

I've actually found some of the best furniture and deals on craigslist and from classified ads in the Oregonian. There are always people moving out of state/country with great furniture that need to get rid of it fast (=cheap). I got a 1 year old couch & loveseat for $200.

carajeanne said:
Slightly worried about the May 15th deadline for multiple acceptances.... I had to cancel my other acceptance Friday afternoon after getting the email from Debbie, but only got an auto-response saying they'd try to get to me in 3 business days. Have not heard back on a confirmation of my withdrawal...will AMCAS do something bad to me if I'm not officially withdrawn from there before the 15th? (like take away my OHSU spot?!)Concerned because I haven't been able to do anything over the weekend. Anyone know for sure?

I'm concerned about the same thing. I just mailed my letter to withdraw my other acceptance on Thursday and wrote an email the same day. I plan to call early Monday morning to confirm receipt....but I wouldn't think they (either AAMC or OHSU) would really do anything (or hope not) if you have proof that you contacted the other school before the 15th. Well, that's my theory...although I'm still a little nervous...

Noodly blessings shall be dispensed post haste. I'll give the prophet a heads up on exam times, as well :cool:

I'll talk to him about getting some seed money (if not government faith-based bs funding) for the spaghetti feeds, but hes kinda stingy...even with his book deal. Saving up for the pirate ship, I guess! I bet I can get him to send some sort of prize up for anyone who comes to orientation in full pirate regalia though... :D I may show up with an eye patch and/or parrot...

And about this sacrificing of "splashes of wine" to his Noodly Greatness...I think you meant jugs of wine, right? :) Or maybe we can tap the beer volcano directly...hmmm...

On another note: If you're bound and determined to get furniture from IKEA, theres one in Seattle, but then you'd have to drive a bit...I've gotten most of mine from craigslist as well - great resource! Decent place to look for apartments, as well (also where I found mine).
I'm about 3 miles out from campus in SW and rent isn't too bad (a little over $600 for a 1000sq.ft. 2br w/ WD hookups and water/sewer/garbage covered). Granted, the place was probably build in the 70s (one of the MDs in my lab lived in my apartment when he was going to med. school...), but its not at all bad. My impression is that there are a fair number of places that are pretty similar around, as well. And, it only takes about 15 minutes to get to campus via bike, though buses run a little longer due to a crappy connection half-way that always leaves before my first bus gets there...
If anyone wants info on living in the Hillsdale-Multnomah Village area, I can probably help you out. We also have a futon that I'll offer up to anyone who needs a place to crash for a night or three while apartment hunting - just send me a message on here and I'll let you know our schedule.

Cinnameg said:
I'll be in Portland starting July 15th. Anybody else going to be there that early? It'd be great to know you guys.

Just want to throw it out there that if anyone's coming to Portland and wants to meet up, or lives here already, I'd love to get to know people before school starts as well!

I third the idea of a Flying Spaghetti Monster Party. Actually, that would make a great name for a vineyard.

nicholasblonde said:
I third the idea of a Flying Spaghetti Monster Party. Actually, that would make a great name for a vineyard.

I second that idea for a vineyard. Who is going to have a house with a giant backyard where we can grow vines for our own Flying Spaghetti Monster Wine that we can age for 4 years? (ahem, not me)

kathyt009 said:
... There are always people moving out of state/country with great furniture that need to get rid of it fast (=cheap)...

Yeah I'm one of those people. I just sold my entire bedroom set (dresser, bed, and nightstand) for $200 on craigslist! `

Blankyblank said:
And about this sacrificing of "splashes of wine" to his Noodly Greatness...I think you meant jugs of wine, right? Or maybe we can tap the beer volcano directly...hmmm...

I hope you are talking about Oregon wine and beer...I think we might piss him off with that California or Chilean crap... :laugh:

carajeanne said:
Just want to throw it out there that if anyone's coming to Portland and wants to meet up, or lives here already, I'd love to get to know people before school starts as well!

I am right there with you. I think it is a great idea!

goodluck2 said:
I am right there with you. I think it is a great idea!

Well, I did it: I declined the other offer I was considering... it's OHSU or nothing from here on out. Here's to May 15th, and here's to starting to med school in Portland!

Cheers! See you all soon.

veighnkman said:
Well, I did it: I declined the other offer I was considering... it's OHSU or nothing from here on out. Here's to May 15th, and here's to starting to med school in Portland!

yay! Isn't it nice to be certain about where you will be in August? Congrats again and welcome!!!

kathyt009 said:

That's hilarious! You were born at OHSU Hospital too? We'll have to start a VERY exclusive club.

Good luck finding a house. We live in West Linn. We really like it here but it's too far away. If we were not already hear, I'd be looking closer. One of my wife's friends who went to OHSU with her lives in Sellwood. She biked up the hill every day from there, rain or shine. It worked out pretty well for her.

veighnkman said:

Congrats and welcome! You made an excellent choice...

Do you know Dr. Peter Veighnkman? I thought he did a great job against the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man... :)

kathyt009 said:
yay! Isn't it nice to be certain about where you will be in August? Congrats again and welcome!!!

The question now becomes: Where will I be in four years? (again!) UGH...

bootz said:
I hope you are talking about Oregon wine and beer...I think we might piss him off with that California or Chilean crap... :laugh:

Of course I'm talking about Oregon wine and beer! Can't live in the city with the highest brewery to person ratio in the US and not drink local beer/wine. That would be blasphemy! (this has been verified by the high prophet ;) )

I can't wait until I don't know where I'll be going again...it's been awesome so far...yeah...right!

Hey everyone,
Haven't received my packet as of yet (accepted 2nd week of April), and I was wondering if any of my more fortunate soon-to-be classmates who had might have a line on when exactly orientation begins? White Coat ceremony?I'm obviously brimming with enthusiasm... I just hope I can make it through the sweltering summer without over-heating my brain. 95 degrees in May; what is that all about? :laugh:

Paiger Pie said:
Hey everyone,
Haven't received my packet as of yet (accepted 2nd week of April), and I was wondering if any of my more fortunate soon-to-be classmates who had might have a line on when exactly orientation begins? White Coat ceremony?I'm obviously brimming with enthusiasm... I just hope I can make it through the sweltering summer without over-heating my brain. 95 degrees in May; what is that all about? :laugh:

Here's what a little surfing on the OHSU website yielded:

http://www.ohsu.edu/som/dean/md/docs/sa/transition2005.pdf

http://www.ohsu.edu/som/dean/md/docs/sa/05-06MS1academic_calendar.pdf

These are from last year but I doubt things haven't changed that much. My guess is we start on Monday, August 14. White coat ceremony will likely be Friday, August 25, based on last year's orientation schedule.

kathyt009 said:
and then we'd start classes on the 28th!!! crazy! :)
Woah... (insert Keanu Reeves' voice inflection here) :thumbup:

Rob h. : Thanks for the info by the way.