OHSU (Oregon Health Sciences University) Class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bootz said:
Nah... I live in L.A. now, not by choice, but because I transferred from a 2-year to UCLA. I miss it though. I come up to visit quite a bit since I still have a lot of friends and family in the area.

You ever check out burningman?

What do you think of the UCLA hospitals? US News ranks them better than OHSU but I actually don't really know what the rankings consider anyway. The hospitals at UCSF and UCLA have a very good reputation around these parts . . . people seem not to have heard of OHSU, which admittedly stings a wee bit. But then again California doesn't seem to have heard of Oregon sometimes ("where's that?").

Members don't see this ad.

As to the Burningman question . . . no, I've never gone. I lived in co-ops for a while so other people went, but dorky me, I always had class during the time Burningman was held. Heard a lot about it, though! Maybe someday . . . . Did you go? what booth did you set up if you did?

Cinnameg said:
What do you think of the UCLA hospitals? US News ranks them better than OHSU but I actually don't really know what the rankings consider anyway. The hospitals at UCSF and UCLA have a very good reputation around these parts . . . people seem not to have heard of OHSU, which admittedly stings a wee bit. But then again California doesn't seem to have heard of Oregon sometimes ("where's that?").

People can be a little cali-centric sometimes... gives the rest of us a bad rap sometimes.

I think if you ask people from Oregon about OHSU they might know more than people from CA. I have a friend who grew up in Portland who speaks very highly of the school and med center.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cinnameg said:
As to the Burningman question . . . no, I've never gone. I lived in co-ops for a while so other people went, but dorky me, I always had class during the time Burningman was held. Heard a lot about it, though! Maybe someday . . . . Did you go? what booth did you set up if you did?

I used to live in one of the USCA co-op houses in Berkeley...is that where you lived?

I don't know what it is, but BM is a big part of Bay Area culture these days. Even the Chronicle sends reporters out there for the week to write about it. I've gone a couple of times with friends, just to see the what it is all about... ;) We never set anything serious up, just our tents and a canopy.

bootz said:
I used to live in one of the USCA co-op houses in Berkeley...is that where you lived?

I don't know what it is, but BM is a big part of Bay Area culture these days. Even the Chronicle sends reporters out there for the week to write about it. I've gone a couple of times with friends, just to see the what it is all about... ;) We never set anything serious up, just our tents and a canopy.

I didn't go to Berkeley, but I hang around there a lot because I have friends that did and do attend school there. I'm around the Convent all the time -- that's the grad student co-op. When I was an undergraduate at Stanford, I lived in Chi Theta Chi (which is, in fact, a co-op, not a frat house . . . . it only used to be a frat house).

You didn't set up a booth? Aww. I always thought it would be fun to think of something crazy. The simplest brilliant booth idea I've heard of is the "Bad Advice Oracle." Fun.

Cinnameg said:
I didn't go to Berkeley, but I hang around there a lot because I have friends that did and do attend school there. I'm around the Convent all the time -- that's the grad student co-op. When I was an undergraduate at Stanford, I lived in Chi Theta Chi (which is, in fact, a co-op, not a frat house . . . . it only used to be a frat house).

You didn't set up a booth? Aww. I always thought it would be fun to think of something crazy. The simplest brilliant booth idea I've heard of is the "Bad Advice Oracle." Fun.
when they mentioned the co-op during my interview info session i asked if that's where all the hippies lived, and as a follow-up, what was the school doing about the problem of hippies. the lady giving the presentation took it completely seriously and got pretty defensive. after that i assumed they would tie my file to brick and throw it in the river. anyway, i still think she's hiding sometheing...

as for me, i grew up in a really small town in OR but went to college back east. i graduated in 2004 with a degree in comparative literature so i (also) had to do a postbac. i'm soooo glad to be back in oregon. right now i'm living around corvallis so if anyone wants to get together before school starts -- in portland or otherwise -- i'm down. also, i'm thinking of living somewhere along the #8 bus line between PSU and the steel bridge...anyone else looking around there?

Cinnameg said:

Ah, the Convent. I lived right around the corner from there when my wife was going to Cal. I heard there was some drama there a couple of years back from a friend that lived there. Pretty funny, and petty, stuff acutally.

When you were at Stanford did you know anyone who lived in the Synergy co-op? I had a pretty close friend that lived there. For a co-op, it was really nice house. Despite the whole Cal vs. Stanford thing going on, I really liked the campus.

As for BM... I've always been into to the sound camps and the monumental art out on the playa. I love riding my bike out there. I think setting something up would require a great deal of organization; more than what I would be willing to do with a handful of people and my own funds. Plus, I would have to spend all of my time at the camp instead of going out and exploring. I had friends who set up a giant see-saw last year and they had to go on a shift system so that people could go out and explore. I guess something small would be cool, but my ideas always come to me after I leave BM.

oldprospector said:
when they mentioned the co-op during my interview info session i asked if that's where all the hippies lived, and as a follow-up, what was the school doing about the problem of hippies. the lady giving the presentation took it completely seriously and got pretty defensive. after that i assumed they would tie my file to brick and throw it in the river. anyway, i still think she's hiding sometheing...

as for me, i grew up in a really small town in OR but went to college back east. i graduated in 2004 with a degree in comparative literature so i (also) had to do a postbac. i'm soooo glad to be back in oregon. right now i'm living around corvallis so if anyone wants to get together before school starts -- in portland or otherwise -- i'm down. also, i'm thinking of living somewhere along the #8 bus line between PSU and the steel bridge...anyone else looking around there?

at Stanford? that's hilarious...

I've been using this Portland neighborhood map to help me with my housing search:

http://www.movingtoportland.net/maps/map_pdxneighborhood.pdf

I've been looking at houses that are within 5-miles of campus. I don't know what the neighborhoods are like except for descriptions from other SDN folks. It is definitely something that I need to see for myself.

Hey Kathy.... you find a place yet?

bootz said:

I've been using this Portland neighborhood map to help me with my housing search:

I've been looking at houses that are within 5-miles of campus. I don't know what the neighborhoods are like except for descriptions from other SDN folks. It is definitely something that I need to see for myself.

noooo, that was at my OHSU interview... much worse.

oldprospector said:

:laugh: LOL. That's a funny story. I was too nervous on my interview day to have done something like that. Did any of the other interviewees catch on?

Cinnameg said:
Where did you live in the Bay Area? I live there now, in Oakland.

I lived in Santa Clara (just about San Jose) when I went to SCU.

I'm hoping/planning to close on a house sometime in July...but who knows when it will really happen. :) My plan is to be moved in by August 1st so I can play a little before classes start! :)

bootz said:

hey there!

I feel like I'm getting warmer. I looked at a few more places this weekend and I'm *this* close to actually making an offer. I can't decide what to do. Brand new larger place on the westside, but a 10-15 minute drive to campus. Or a smaller and older place in a fun area, on the busline....what to do, what to do? It's nice to know that I'm not really in a hurry so I can play the game and see what else comes up or wait for properties to be on the market longer and offer lower...

BTW everyone: It was absolutely BEAUTIFUL in Oregon today...up to 75, I believe. :D

bootz said:
Ah, the Convent. I lived right around the corner from there when my wife was going to Cal. I heard there was some drama there a couple of years back from a friend that lived there. Pretty funny, and petty, stuff acutally.

When you were at Stanford did you know anyone who lived in the Synergy co-op? I had a pretty close friend that lived there. For a co-op, it was really nice house. Despite the whole Cal vs. Stanford thing going on, I really liked the campus.

As for BM... I've always been into to the sound camps and the monumental art out on the playa. I love riding my bike out there. I think setting something up would require a great deal of organization; more than what I would be willing to do with a handful of people and my own funds. Plus, I would have to spend all of my time at the camp instead of going out and exploring. I had friends who set up a giant see-saw last year and they had to go on a shift system so that people could go out and explore. I guess something small would be cool, but my ideas always come to me after I leave BM.

I guess that's the good thing about having a yearly event . . . you can plan for next year! Are you going next year? Does OHSU's schedule conflict during the one summer we have off between 1st and 2nd year?

I was familiar with Synergy, actually I had some great meals and parties and a few Thanksgivings there. However, both houses were big with a lot of turnover so it's unlikely I knew your friend. And . . . did people at Berkeley actually care about the Cal vs Stanford thing? Only the athletes at Stanford seemed to care.

Members don't see this ad :)
kathyt009 said:
hey there!

I feel like I'm getting warmer. I looked at a few more places this weekend and I'm *this* close to actually making an offer. I can't decide what to do. Brand new larger place on the westside, but a 10-15 minute drive to campus. Or a smaller and older place in a fun area, on the busline....what to do, what to do? It's nice to know that I'm not really in a hurry so I can play the game and see what else comes up or wait for properties to be on the market longer and offer lower...

BTW everyone: It was absolutely BEAUTIFUL in Oregon today...up to 75, I believe. :D

I didn't think that we had the option of driving to campus. Have you heard otherwise?

I just got a place myself, looking for a potential roommate (hopefully a fellow med student). It's on SE 12th near Hawthorne.

oldprospector said:

There's a co-op at OHSU? I'm confused . . . how did co-ops come up at OHSU?

bootz said:

A suggestion on looking for housing for OHSU: look at tri-met.org and map every place you are considering with the trip planner. A place that is in the hills or on the west side might look like it's closer to campus but actually be a long-ish commute due to bad bus service. The east side of Portland -- ie, Hawthorne, Belmont, Sullivan's Gulch, etc -- tends to have better, more frequent, and later running bus service. I grew up in the west hills and the bus only ran once an hour and stopped at 6:30pm which was a big pain. Basically, don't commit to anything without checking out the trip planner and checking how frequently and how late your bus line runs, that's my two cents. I've chosen to be 2 blocks away from the street called Hawthorne on the east side because the bus that runs on Hawthorne is really good, gets you to downtown fast where you transfer to the OHSU bus.

Where are you guys considering living? Actually it doesn't seem like there are that many of us using studentdoctor . . . but for those of us here, where do you think you'll be?

Also, has anyone sent in their paperwork for the OHSU listserve already and not been invited to join it yet? What should I expect, like an email?

Cinnameg said:
A suggestion on looking for housing for OHSU: look at tri-met.org and map every place you are considering with the trip planner. A place that is in the hills or on the west side might look like it's closer to campus but actually be a long-ish commute due to bad bus service. The east side of Portland -- ie, Hawthorne, Belmont, Sullivan's Gulch, etc -- tends to have better, more frequent, and later running bus service. I grew up in the west hills and the bus only ran once an hour and stopped at 6:30pm which was a big pain. Basically, don't commit to anything without checking out the trip planner and checking how frequently and how late your bus line runs, that's my two cents. I've chosen to be 2 blocks away from the street called Hawthorne on the east side because the bus that runs on Hawthorne is really good, gets you to downtown fast where you transfer to the OHSU bus.

Where are you guys considering living? Actually it doesn't seem like there are that many of us using studentdoctor . . . but for those of us here, where do you think you'll be?

Also, has anyone sent in their paperwork for the OHSU listserve already and not been invited to join it yet? What should I expect, like an email?
I'm trying to avoid transferring on my trips to the hill, but finding a place along the #8 line has been fairly difficult (there's actually lots of places, they're just expensive). What are you guys thinking in terms of bus/max transfers...seems like it would add tons of time to the trip but I also have zero experience with the system? Also, I sent in my "registration" for the listserv back in Jan. and haven't gotten anything yet either...are people writing on that thing already? Anyway, I think it's [email protected]

Hi everyone. Congratulations to all of you on your acceptance to OHSU. It is a fantastic medical school and Portland is one of the greatest cities to live in. I am a 4th year here and will be staying for my Ob/Gyn residency, so I'll be around for the next 4 years. Hopefully, I will get to meet some of you. If you have any questions about the school, Portland, how to handle babies and med school, etc. feel free to let me know.

I know that some of you are considering/hoping to buy a condo/house while you are in school. We did and it was a great move. Portland is a very strong market and unlike other places in the country, it's probably not going to slow down anytime soon. My husband, Jonathan, is a realtor with Windermere Real Estate and he has had a significant amount of experience working with medical students and their families. He would be more than happy to answer any questions that you might have and to help you find a place that is right for you.
If you are interested, here is his info:
Jonathan Hurliman
[email protected]

My e-mail is [email protected] if you have any questions.

Congrats again!
You are making a great choice.
Amanda

For all of those people trying to figure out where they are going to live in PDX next year, I thought I might offer some advice. I moved here from Los Angeles 4.5 years ago, and I was in your exact situation my fiancee' at the time (then wife, now ex... not really interesting) was enamored with the quiet serenity of SW Portland and Beaverton. She even managed to find an apartment complex replete with a babbling brook and ducks! Needless to say, that was not going to fly with me, and for good reasons: when moving to a new city, I believe it is imperative that one live as close to the city center as possible (unless it is a desolate wasteland... sorry L.A.) in order to survey out the surrounding areas and best formulate an opinion. Now this does not mean that you should rent a room in a hotel room with daily rates and soak up Portland life like Bukowski, but the closer you can get to downtown (hence the real estate term "close-in PDX... very important, not to be confused with Gresham), the greater access you will have to all the city has to offer.
The public transit system, as mentioned before, is quite excellent in Portland, so much so that you aren't required to live off the 8 line to get up the hill to OHSU. With the exception of suburban SW (don't know it very well, and the following advice makes no sense logistically for that area), you can find and easy connection to the 8 line from the downtown transit center. While in "Fare-less Square" (thing bus-line hub), you can easily get off your bus-line and find a connecting 8... no really, it is quite easy, un-supervised grammar school students do it all the time.
Here is why I've been suggesting the afforementioned approach to P-town living. Portland is a city of unique, interesting, and varied neighborhoods, all of which should be entertained thoroughly before settling down with one. Now I know what you are thinking, we are going to be medical students next year, with very little time to do anything other than study, so why do I have to live anywhere but up on Marquam Hill? If that is your take on your first year in Portland, then please introduce yourself to me at orientation (I'll be the relatively old guy, big smile, bigger head, fond of hyperbole), because I'm really going to want to share notes with you. If however, you are currently entertaining any thoughts on venturing outside on say a friday night or a sunday morning, then you might want to take heed of my advice. Hawthorne (boutiques, hacky-sac, the Bagdhad Theater, and good food), Belmont (veggie restaraunts, Movie Madness, good Theaters (plays), better coffee), Division (up-and coming dining establishments), Mt. Tabor (only volcano within city limits in the continental US, hiking, go-cart races), Sellwood (old Portland, food, antiques, waterfront trails, amusement park), Brooklyn (families, close to the ( line into downtown, city views, concert venues), South Waterfront/Macadam(the soon-to-be tram, waterfront activites, small town feel), Multnomah Village ( even smaller town feel, close to OHSU, brew Pubs, convenient access to sundrie goods), Downtown (food, nightlife, pan-handling, live music, pioneer square at twilight, Park Blocks), NW 23/Alphabet Blocks/Snob Hill (shopping, hiking/adventure at forest park, close to zoo, IMO best restaraunts in town) The Pearl (yuppie-lofts, East-Village vibe, Powells Books, great food, First Thursdays, More Brew-Pubs), ... etc. This list merely scraped the surface regarding the superlatives used to describe but a fraction of Portlands neighborhoods. I've learned about them by getting in a car, driving to a new area, and getting lost on a Sunday afternoon. If I liked its vibe, I made sure to come back with my dog... I'd invite you to do the same (not with my dog though). So there are my 2 cents, and I can't wait to meet all of you when you get to Portland, whatever neighborhood you decide to settle down in.

Paiger Pie said:
For all of those people trying to figure out where they are going to live in PDX next year, I thought I might offer some advice. I moved here from Los Angeles 4.5 years ago, and I was in your exact situation my fiancee' at the time (then wife, now ex... not really interesting) was enamored with the quiet serenity of SW Portland and Beaverton. She even managed to find an apartment complex replete with a babbling brook and ducks! Needless to say, that was not going to fly with me, and for good reasons: when moving to a new city, I believe it is imperative that one live as close to the city center as possible (unless it is a desolate wasteland... sorry L.A.) in order to survey out the surrounding areas and best formulate an opinion. Now this does not mean that you should rent a room in a hotel room with daily rates and soak up Portland life like Bukowski, but the closer you can get to downtown (hence the real estate term "close-in PDX... very important, not to be confused with Gresham), the greater access you will have to all the city has to offer.
The public transit system, as mentioned before, is quite excellent in Portland, so much so that you aren't required to live off the 8 line to get up the hill to OHSU. With the exception of suburban SW (don't know it very well, and the following advice makes no sense logistically for that area), you can find and easy connection to the 8 line from the downtown transit center. While in "Fare-less Square" (thing bus-line hub), you can easily get off your bus-line and find a connecting 8... no really, it is quite easy, un-supervised grammar school students do it all the time.
Here is why I've been suggesting the afforementioned approach to P-town living. Portland is a city of unique, interesting, and varied neighborhoods, all of which should be entertained thoroughly before settling down with one. Now I know what you are thinking, we are going to be medical students next year, with very little time to do anything other than study, so why do I have to live anywhere but up on Marquam Hill? If that is your take on your first year in Portland, then please introduce yourself to me at orientation (I'll be the relatively old guy, big smile, bigger head, fond of hyperbole), because I'm really going to want to share notes with you. If however, you are currently entertaining any thoughts on venturing outside on say a friday night or a sunday morning, then you might want to take heed of my advice. Hawthorne (boutiques, hacky-sac, the Bagdhad Theater, and good food), Belmont (veggie restaraunts, Movie Madness, good Theaters (plays), better coffee), Division (up-and coming dining establishments), Mt. Tabor (only volcano within city limits in the continental US, hiking, go-cart races), Sellwood (old Portland, food, antiques, waterfront trails, amusement park), Brooklyn (families, close to the ( line into downtown, city views, concert venues), South Waterfront/Macadam(the soon-to-be tram, waterfront activites, small town feel), Multnomah Village ( even smaller town feel, close to OHSU, brew Pubs, convenient access to sundrie goods), Downtown (food, nightlife, pan-handling, live music, pioneer square at twilight, Park Blocks), NW 23/Alphabet Blocks/Snob Hill (shopping, hiking/adventure at forest park, close to zoo, IMO best restaraunts in town) The Pearl (yuppie-lofts, East-Village vibe, Powells Books, great food, First Thursdays, More Brew-Pubs), ... etc. This list merely scraped the surface regarding the superlatives used to describe but a fraction of Portlands neighborhoods. I've learned about them by getting in a car, driving to a new area, and getting lost on a Sunday afternoon. If I liked its vibe, I made sure to come back with my dog... I'd invite you to do the same (not with my dog though). So there are my 2 cents, and I can't wait to meet all of you when you get to Portland, whatever neighborhood you decide to settle down in.

I ditto that advice. If you're on a freqently-running busline, it's very easy to take the bus into downtown and switch to the very-frequently-running busses up to OHSU. You might not even have to walk a block. I grew up in Portland and I was one of those grammer school students taking the bus. Very excited about moving back up there.

Anyway, I wanted to say Mr. Pager Pie, that you have one of the most interesting MDApplicants profiles I've ever seen. I loved the movie Traffic . . . can you tell me how they made the shots look blue tinted or yellow tinted? Were the filters on the camera or did they do something to the film afterwards? And, how does one become a camera person in Hollywood?

Cinnameg said:
I ditto that advice. If you're on a freqently-running busline, it's very easy to take the bus into downtown and switch to the very-frequently-running busses up to OHSU. You might not even have to walk a block. I grew up in Portland and I was one of those grammer school students taking the bus. Very excited about moving back up there.

Anyway, I wanted to say Mr. Pager Pie, that you have one of the most interesting MDApplicants profiles I've ever seen. I loved the movie Traffic . . . can you tell me how they made the shots look blue tinted or yellow tinted? Were the filters on the camera or did they do something to the film afterwards? And, how does one become a camera person in Hollywood?
My profile is either well-rounded or a reflection of my status as a Really-Late-Bloomer. I was the 7th person in my family to work in the motion picture industry, and coupled with my public school education (sarcasm), it took me a while to find my own path in the world.

When shooting Traffic, the decision to differentiate between the different settings of the 3 over-lapping stories through color was made in pre-production by the director, Steven Soderbergh. Traffic was his first studio-financed film in which he also served as cinemaphotagrapher, so he was more than excited to experiment with the film's imagery. For the look in Sandiego, a Black Pro Mist filter of varying diffusive strengths was used to emphasize both the grandiose nature of the character's worlds, as well as to blow the over-exposed background out. In Ohio, the cool-blue hues were accomplished in a two fold process. Interior film was used outside without any color temperature- filter correction, and a promist filter as well was used to create a similar diffuse background (especially in the windows). As for Mexico (which was shot in New Mexico, Nogales (Mexico), Down Town Los Angeles, and Mexico City), a tobacco filter was used during principal photography, and then a 4+ stage digital manipulation of the negative was used in post-production. Of all the film's looks, the Mexico "Look" of the actual film differed the most from what was seen in dailes (screening of the previous day's work). In addition, for all 3 settings hand-held camera work was employed 98% of the time. If you are interested in learning more, check out the bonus features on the DVD version. Traffic was my movie-making experience; no other film that I worked on offered more opportunites for travel (3 states in one day, made possible by a lear jet), frustration, excess, satisfaction, and on-the-set learning. :thumbup:

Paiger Pie said:
My profile is either well-rounded or a reflection of my status as a Really-Late-Bloomer. I was the 7th person in my family to work in the motion picture industry, and coupled with my public school education (sarcasm), it took me a while to find my own path in the world.

When shooting Traffic, the decision to differentiate between the different settings of the 3 over-lapping stories through color was made in pre-production by the director, Steven Soderbergh. Traffic was his first studio-financed film in which he also served as cinemaphotagrapher, so he was more than excited to experiment with the film's imagery. For the look in Sandiego, a Black Pro Mist filter of varying diffusive strengths was used to emphasize both the grandiose nature of the character's worlds, as well as to blow the over-exposed background out. In Ohio, the cool-blue hues were accomplished in a two fold process. Interior film was used outside without any color temperature- filter correction, and a promist filter as well was used to create a similar diffuse background (especially in the windows). As for Mexico (which was shot in New Mexico, Nogales (Mexico), Down Town Los Angeles, and Mexico City), a tobacco filter was used during principal photography, and then a 4+ stage digital manipulation of the negative was used in post-production. Of all the film's looks, the Mexico "Look" of the actual film differed the most from what was seen in dailes (screening of the previous day's work). In addition, for all 3 settings hand-held camera work was employed 98% of the time. If you are interested in learning more, check out the bonus features on the DVD version. Traffic was my movie-making experience; no other film that I worked on offered more opportunites for travel (3 states in one day, made possible by a lear jet), frustration, excess, satisfaction, and on-the-set learning. :thumbup:

Thank you for that explanation. It sounds like really interesting work. Sigh; too bad we're becoming doctors, eh? :)

Actually I'm drumming my fingers on the table waiting for medical school to start. It's been a long journey to get here for me, as well, and even though I know that during school I'm going to be saying "where's my down time?" right now I'm feeling anxious to get to work.

Hello accepted OHSU class of 2010!

I know there really aren't that many people looking at this thread right now . . . I guess everyone is either waitlisted, on hold, or waiting for the listserve to be up and running (yes, OHSU says it's not going to be up until early summer) but I wanted to let those people who DO look at this thread know that I'm going to be looking for a fellow medical student to share my house. It has three bedrooms, and I was thinking it'd be good for each of us to have one of the smaller bedrooms for sleeping and share the upstairs master bedroom as office/study space. The house also has a living room, a pretty nice kitchen, a downstairs rec/party room, and there are two full bathrooms. Also, there's on-site laundry.

The house is on SE 12th (as in, 12 blocks from the river on the east side), 2 blocks from Hawthorne street where a frequently-running bus goes straight to downtown. To get to OHSU from there you just catch the 8 bus, also frequently-running. Tri-met says the commute is about 40 minutes, which will actually be a whole lot shorter whenever that tram gets finished.

Rent is negociable.

At this point all I know is that I'm looking for a person who isn't allergic to cats -- because I have one very furry cat -- and who isn't a light sleeper. I'm not super noisy, I don't tend to play music or tap dance (don't even know how), but I do keep odd hours sometimes, and I wouldn't want a housemate that woke up at the sound of me walking around the house or talking in normal tones on the phone. I'd also prefer a vegetarian, but as long as you aren't cooking fish and steak all the time it'll be ok.

About me: I'm 24, took 2 years "off" after college to do a post-bac program and also worked as a behavioral therapist with autistic kids, and then as a therapist/social worker with schizophrenic adults. My BA is in psychology, during undergrad I was a crisis counselor, did psych research, etc. My hobbies are mainly artistic, like acrylic painting, classical singing (I don't practice when anyone else is home, don't worry), karaoke, going to galleries, etc. I'm also a fan of breweries & wineries & film . . . also doing outdoors activities when there's time, which there hasn't been lately. At home I mostly read, mess around online (like now!), study, and paint. I'm good at cooking -- I lived in a co-op for a few years and had to cook for lots of people -- but I'm out of the habit. I'm a dedicated recycler, and I don't care much if things are disorganized or in disarray but I like things to be clean. My favorite household appliance is the dishwasher.

So, if you think we might be a good match, send me a private message thru the forum! Thanks! :)

Just wanted to pop in and say hello! (I'm one of the 5 people watching this thread, :)) I was in Portland today looking at houses again and remembered how much I LOVE Portland. It was so beautiful, with the view of Mt. Hood, the river, bridges, and all the fun neighborhoods. I'm so excited!!! have a great weekend everyone! Kathy

(Cinnameg...your house sounds awesome!!!)

Cinnameg said:
I guess that's the good thing about having a yearly event . . . you can plan for next year! Are you going next year? Does OHSU's schedule conflict during the one summer we have off between 1st and 2nd year?

I was familiar with Synergy, actually I had some great meals and parties and a few Thanksgivings there. However, both houses were big with a lot of turnover so it's unlikely I knew your friend. And . . . did people at Berkeley actually care about the Cal vs Stanford thing? Only the athletes at Stanford seemed to care.

Sorry it has taken me so long to write back I just got back from a weeklong trip to Mexico yesterday.

Nah...I don't think I am going to make it back to b-man this year. Our classes start before Labor Day weekend and I definitely don't want to start our first year behind on the material and stuff. The road trip from Portland to Black Rock City would take 11+ hours. So back and forth would be about one day of driving for a three day weekend, ouch... I want to go back at some point, but the next four years seem a little hazy with this med school thingy we've got to do. We'll see...

As for the cal/stanford thing, it seemed like a lot of people cared about it in Berkeley especially since up until a few years ago Stanford beat Cal in everything (except for rugby).

Cinnameg said:
There's a co-op at OHSU? I'm confused . . . how did co-ops come up at OHSU?

There is a student co-op. I think we had the option of staying there for free when we visited for interviews.

bootz said:
There is a student co-op. I think we had the option of staying there for free when we visited for interviews.

Wow . . . a co-op actually filled with medical school students? Honestly, it's probably very fun, but the first thing I thought of when I read your post was that it might be a very stressful place to live. "The Convent" at Berkeley, which is filled with PhD and masters students, is bad enough, and most of the students there actually have a lot of down time.

Anybody reading this thread who lives in the OHSU co-op? What's it actually like?

Cinnameg said:
Wow . . . a co-op actually filled with medical school students? Honestly, it's probably very fun, but the first thing I thought of when I read your post was that it might be a very stressful place to live. "The Convent" at Berkeley, which is filled with PhD and masters students, is bad enough, and most of the students there actually have a lot of down time.

Anybody reading this thread who lives in the OHSU co-op? What's it actually like?

If anyone is interested in starting their own co-op this is available:

http://portland.craigslist.org/apa/156419152.html

mdung said:
did ne one get a financial aid estimate yet?

I haven't heard anything yet, but then again, I was accepted <6 weeks ago!

mdung said:
did ne one get a financial aid estimate yet?

I did my FAFSA but I haven't gotten any financial aid paperwork from OHSU yet.

Paiger Pie said:
For all of those people trying to figure out where they are going to live in PDX next year, I thought I might offer some advice...

Yo, thanks! It looks like my wife and I are going to be renting near campus at least for the first year until we get a better idea about the different neighborhoods. We just signed a lease for a 2 bedroom near Lair Hill... :thumbup:

i talked to the financial aid people today and they said that first year med students are "high priority" and we should get our packages sometime in june.

side note: am i going to be the only person at OHSU who isn't married? what's with you guys? don't you know that your chances of landing a trophy wife/husband exponentially increase after you start med school??? seems like a lot of you jumped the gun on this one.

i was hoping to get an estimate before the deadline to make a decision. i heard they dont give out many scholarships... was hoping for some sort of scholarship. otherwise im gonna go to an in-state school...so much cheaper...

oldprospector said:
i talked to the financial aid people today and they said that first year med students are "high priority" and we should get our packages sometime in june.

side note: am i going to be the only person at OHSU who isn't married? what's with you guys? don't you know that your chances of landing a trophy wife/husband exponentially increase after you start med school??? seems like a lot of you jumped the gun on this one.

Just curious, is there anyone on here that is from Oregon, or has OHSU become the latest additiion to the UC system?

oldprospector said:
...am i going to be the only person at OHSU who isn't married? what's with you guys? don't you know that your chances of landing a trophy wife/husband exponentially increase after you start med school??? seems like a lot of you jumped the gun on this one.

LOL :laugh: Shiiiii...I got lucky and didn't need to wait. Plus, I know now that she isn't a money-grubber. We are poor as **** right now and she still loves me. ;)

Trail Boss said:
Just curious, is there anyone on here that is from Oregon, or has OHSU become the latest addition to the UC system?

Yup. Part of Gov. Schwartzenegger's new plan is to expand the CA borders east, north, and south. The first phase of the plan is to send as many students as possible to OHSU with the hope that some of them will form powerful voting blocks that will pressure the OR state legislature to join the evil empire.

Trail Boss said:
Just curious, is there anyone on here that is from Oregon, or has OHSU become the latest additiion to the UC system?

I am in-state, live in SW Portland (Beaverton).

Trail Boss said:

A true Oregonian here (love this beautiful weather, but also don't mind the rain)!!!

oldprospector said:

And I'm not married either, oldprospector. and won't be married for a while. ;)

oldprospector said:

I'm not married. Actually I've been following and posting in the "medical school + relationships = ???" thread under Allopathic about this; I actually think my chances of finding a bf or husband will go DOWN in medical school and afterwards, because I'll be busier, older (I'm already nontraditional age as it is), and because I agree with you that it seems a whole lot of the people I'll be interacting with will be married already. Also, male doctors are a helluva lot more desirable on the dating market than are female doctors because a lot of men out there don't want to have wives with better careers than they do . . . whereas women don't have a problem dating men with high-powered careers. Very sad prospects.

Trail Boss said:

I grew up in Portland. I only went to California for college, and then somehow got stuck here for the post-baccalaureate program at Mills and the application year to medical school. I supppose I could have moved back to Portland a year ago but there were job opportunities for this past year that were really good here in the Bay Area, and my friends in Portland told me that the job market there sucks.

Trail Boss said:

Hey, I'm from Oregon

oldprospector said:

Nope, you won't. My divorce will be finalized in mid-June, and then I'll begin my pursuit for the next future ex-Mrs. Paiger Pie. :thumbup:

Did any of you guys get calls from 1st years this week? Mine said that the list of accepted students had just been handed out to the student callers, so maybe we finally have a full class.

oldprospector said:
Did any of you guys get calls from 1st years this week? Mine said that the list of accepted students had just been handed out to the student callers, so maybe we finally have a full class.

No, no phone call . . . did you get one?

I haven't sent in all my transcripts yet, so maybe that's why they haven't sent me a welcome note to the supposed class email list. Anybody else getting emails from fellow 1st years? Really, I just wish they would send me stuff as proof that they're still planning on taking me, I keep having this nagging feeling that something's going to happen at the last minute and they'll say, "wait, you really wanted to go here? oops, we gave your spot to someone, sorry". Maybe they found some conviction in my criminal background check that I didn't even know about? Ahh!

Anyway, here's hoping I get a phone call.

Paiger Pie said:
Nope, you won't. My divorce will be finalized in mid-June, and then I'll begin my pursuit for the next future ex-Mrs. Paiger Pie. :thumbup:

Sorry about your divorce. :( But of course, I'm not going to complain about more single males in my class.

oldprospector said:

I received a call from a 1st year last week. She was very welcoming and asked if I has any questions. I asked a few and she was pretty helpful. She acknowledged OHSU was slow on contacting people and said they were only given the list of students last week. So, if anyone hasn't received an welcome call yet, I wouldn't be surprised.

Cinnameg said:
No, no phone call . . . did you get one?

I haven't sent in all my transcripts yet, so maybe that's why they haven't sent me a welcome note to the supposed class email list. Anybody else getting emails from fellow 1st years? Really, I just wish they would send me stuff as proof that they're still planning on taking me, I keep having this nagging feeling that something's going to happen at the last minute and they'll say, "wait, you really wanted to go here? oops, we gave your spot to someone, sorry". Maybe they found some conviction in my criminal background check that I didn't even know about? Ahh!

Anyway, here's hoping I get a phone call.

What kind of transcripts are you talking about? is it something different from what we sent through AAMC?

goodluck2 said:
What kind of transcripts are you talking about? is it something different from what we sent through AAMC?

It's the same transcripts, but you have to send them again to OHSU directly from the school. Not a big deal unless you have 5 transcripts to get sent (thank you, summer coursework). I just sent in my transcript requests to the various schools today.

Cinnameg said:
It's the same transcripts, but you have to send them again to OHSU directly from the school. Not a big deal unless you have 5 transcripts to get sent (thank you, summer coursework). I just sent in my transcript requests to the various schools today.

Did this thread just die? I am humming the funeral march. :confused: