Ohio State MEDPATH 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im sorry to be the bearer of bad news.. but because of the admissions issue, medpath will only host 8 students next year. Letters were being sent out today from what i observed, so you will be receiving a letter in the next week or so. 4 of the 8 came through regular admissions interviews and the other 4 came from medpath interviews. basically only 4 of the ~30 interviewees were accepted.

i believe nikki called everyone who was accepted and i believe there is only one on the waitlist. Im am truly sorry for those that werent accepted. this admissions fiasco seems to have its tentacles in everything and with nikki being out on maternity leave that also made things crazy.

let me know if you guys have any questions, again I am sorry I know so many of you were great candidates for this program and I wouldve loved to have you here.

Wow Ikeboy! To say that your news is heartbreaking would be the understatement of the year!!! I'm shocked and speechless. At this point, all I can say is that I shall wait for my letter to arrive. I spoke with Flo in the admissions office today and she told me MEDPATH letters were created and mailed on Friday. But now, according to you, that was also inaccurate information. Alas, such is life! Ultimately, I am grateful I was granted the opportunity to visit OSU and meet Dr. Capers. I will patiently await the arrival of my letter, just as I have done for the past several weeks. Thank you for all your posts and best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow Ikeboy! To say that your news is heartbreaking would be the understatement of the year!!! I'm shocked and speechless. At this point, all I can say is that I shall wait for my letter to arrive. I spoke with Flo in the admissions office today and she told me MEDPATH letters were created and mailed on Friday. But now, according to you, that was also inaccurate information. Alas, such is life! Ultimately, I am grateful I was granted the opportunity to visit OSU and meet Dr. Capers. I will patiently await the arrival of my letter, just as I have done for the past several weeks. Thank you for all your posts and best of luck to you!

akira i am so so sorry.. but definitely dont take what i said as official until you receive something. flo doesnt really know whats going on with medpath.. this is just me giving you guys the heads up in lieu of waiting.. i wouldnt know what to do if i were in you guys' position.. i was deep on the waitlist ..meaning i was well past the top 15.. theres no way i wouldve made the cut of 4.. and im pretty sure i scored the highest mcat score this yr... so please everyone just take this as a bump and not an end..if the will is there..you will be a physician..keep up the fight.. youd be surprised how the universe responds to will..

additionally i ask that everyone please not call nikki and ask about what ive said here.. im not sure what is public knowledge or not.. please wait for the official word first and then proceed as you wish.. i just felt inclined to post this information here because i know that many of you have other options with quickly approaching deadlines or deadlines that have already passed, and i just wanted to save you the several days before you hear anything from osu, so that you can prepare for the next step in your journey.. best wishes.

Im sorry to be the bearer of bad news.. but because of the admissions issue, medpath will only host 8 students next year. Letters were being sent out today from what i observed, so you will be receiving a letter in the next week or so. 4 of the 8 came through regular admissions interviews and the other 4 came from medpath interviews. basically only 4 of the ~30 interviewees were accepted.

i believe nikki called everyone who was accepted and i believe there is only one on the waitlist. Im am truly sorry for those that werent accepted. this admissions fiasco seems to have its tentacles in everything and with nikki being out on maternity leave that also made things crazy.

let me know if you guys have any questions, again I am sorry I know so many of you were great candidates for this program and I wouldve loved to have you here.

Thanks again IkeBoy18, once again you have come through for many of us with precious information. We all appreciate your encouragement and support throughout this process.

Now I can definitely look forward to my next venture.

Members don't see this ad :)

I am speechless... dont know what to say or think... This was my ONLY chance, and now it gone. ={*** I had so much hope... Why do bad things happen in times like this... Words cant explain how bad i feel... I guess I have to wait till next year. "man...... life sucks!"

Thanks ikeboy for keeping us updated on whats been going on. Everything you have done for us is greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

I withdrew from my spot on Friday, hopefully it goes to one of you guys.:luck:

Thank you for your generous decision. Sad to hear that your leaving your spot, but happy you found something better. Good luck in your studies.

I am speechless... dont know what to say or think... This was my ONLY chance, and now it gone. ={*** I had so much hope... Why do bad things happen in times like this... Words cant explain how bad i feel... I guess I have to wait till next year. "man...... life sucks!"

Thanks ikeboy for keeping us updated on whats been going on. Everything you have done for us is greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

ChoreDoc, you can do it! I don't know if this helps, but check out Mississippi College's MS Med Sci program and see if it fits you. They start people every semester, it's one year, and it gets people into med. Hope this info helps.

ChoreDoc, you can do it! I don't know if this helps, but check out Mississippi College's MS Med Sci program and see if it fits you. They start people every semester, it's one year, and it gets people into med. Hope this info helps.

Thank you Denriq. I will look into it. Really hope it fits me. All I want is to get into med school. It has always been my dream. It's hard not to think about losing hope when everything goes wrong. :-(. I'll try to keep myself together N hope for a miracle. Lol.

Thank you Denriq. I will look into it. Really hope it fits me. All I want is to get into med school. It has always been my dream. It's hard not to think about losing hope when everything goes wrong. :-(. I'll try to keep myself together N hope for a miracle. Lol.

...actually, they still have seats for this fall.

WOW!!! This very devastating news for many of you and I am saddened to hear this. 4 spots? Well Keep on hoping and dreaming. While I was on a wait-list at another school and before my interview for med-path I was crazily studying for the MCAT. What i will recommend is to hit the books improve your score and WORK very Diligently on your application. I got in and i can tell you it is not because of my MCAT score or GPA but rather personal statement and the three months i spent on my app. I met so many great people there and wish you all the best.

Is it wrong to feel like asking OSU for partial reimbursement for a trip that gave me less than a 13 percent chance of being accepted (lol). All jokes aside, I do have other options and was most likely not going to attend anyway. BUT, I do feel strongly for those who had a desire to attend or this may have been their only option. I believe that everything happens for a reason. God, knows the exact reason why. So, to all of those who are feeling devastated, keep your head up and your eyes on the prize. We will all be wonderful physicians someday and it will not matter what path we chose to accomplish it !!! OSU still did us dirty, but it is what it is !!!!

Last edited:
I've been one of those who have been on the outskirts but have also been awaiting some kind of response. Thank you for all the information you have provided!

I join in with those who have mixed and confused feelings about this whole process. I especially feel for those who have invested money and time to travel and provide information to the program in the hopes of being one those accepted into the program.

We have all endured this process with very little communication and feedback from the program and I truly hope that they are able to refine and improve this process for future applicants! :)

I have been very disappointed in how things have been handled by OSU.

Hello Wasupdoc! Were you one of the candidates who received an acceptance notification from Nikki via a phone call? In other words, were you offered a spot and you have decided to turn it down...is that what you mean when you say you are withdrawing from your spot? Or are you simply going with another option before getting the official letter from OSU? Either way, I wish you all the best with whatever path you have chosen!!! And that goes for everyone on this thread and anyone else I met while interviewing at OSU COM!!! We WILL be great doctors! With or without an acceptance letter from MEDPATH, of this I am truly certain :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting news. I am out of service area for my phone. Has anyone received a letter yet?

I got accepted in March after regular admissions interview.

Thanks for the info once again!! And still no letter......................................

Received the official letter of rejection. No mentioning of the Fiasco that has gone on since the interview. It was dated June 3rd and i am in Ohio. Good luck to all.

Received the official letter of rejection. No mentioning of the Fiasco that has gone on since the interview. It was dated June 3rd and i am in Ohio. Good luck to all.

Same here. I feel completely betrayed by Ohio State. Someone said it best in an earlier post: Ohio State "did us dirty!" I couldn't agree with you more. When I left the interview I felt uplifted, almost comforted by the experience. Now I look back on that day and I realize that we were all lied to, straight to our faces. The admissions committee, at that point, so late in the application cycle, had to know what was going down in terms of available spots, etc. For everyone that we asked to tell us with a straight face that at least 13-15 students would be admitted was wrong, on every conceivable level. These are physicians??? The ethical and moral backbone of our communities...WOW! They must teach you how to lie with such gusto and abandon in medical school because I would be incapable of doing what they did to us and still be able to sleep at night. I apologize for the rant but I'm absolutely beside myself! How could Dr. Capers tell all of us that we were one step away from our goal...that it all rested in our hands, at that point (and use that NFL playoffs metaphor...baloney!)?! And then to get this letter without so much as an explanation or an apology!!! Truly the epitome of unprofessional behavior. I think what bothers me the most is that we learned of all this drama from another student! How could Ohio State not inform us of such drastic changes and of such a severe drop in the odds of getting accepted earlier in the process?!?!?! Unbelievable!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Same here. I feel completely betrayed by Ohio State. Someone said it best in an earlier post: Ohio State "did us dirty!" I couldn't agree with you more. When I left the interview I felt uplifted, almost comforted by the experience. Now I look back on that day and I realize that we were all lied to, straight to our faces. The admissions committee, at that point, so late in the application cycle, had to know what was going down in terms of available spots, etc. For everyone that we asked to tell us with a straight face that at least 13-15 students would be admitted was wrong, on every conceivable level. These are physicians??? The ethical and moral backbone of our communities...WOW! They must teach you how to lie with such gusto and abandon in medical school because I would be incapable of doing what they did to us and still be able to sleep at night. I apologize for the rant but I'm absolutely beside myself! How could Dr. Capers tell all of us that we were one step away from our goal...that it all rested in our hands, at that point (and use that NFL playoffs metaphor...baloney!)?! And then to get this letter without so much as an explanation or an apology!!! Truly the epitome of unprofessional behavior. I think what bothers me the most is that we learned of all this drama from another student! How could Ohio State not inform us of such drastic changes and of such a severe drop in the odds of getting accepted earlier in the process?!?!?! Unbelievable!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Why not call and ask? Sorry to hear about your rejection, though.

I agree with you for the most part. When I interviewed there was one girl whose flight was cancelled and her parents drove her through the night all the way from New Jersey, sleeping in the car. Would she had made the same trip if she new the odds were not 50-50? Who knows. I think we all deserve some type of an explanation as to what happened. I do not like the fact that they are pretending that this was business as usual as if we live in a closed world and no one will no.

With that said Let us refrain from making broad generalizations about the INTEGRITY of men and women who have invested a lot, for many years to help minorities get into medicine and realize their dreams. This blemish does not erase all the people we met at the interview that this program has helped. Remember the like of IkeBoy whom this program have given them a chance to be Physicians.

I will also cut OSU some slack, especially Medpath. I don't think they new the predicament that they were in when we interviewed because MAY 15 had not passed. i don't think it is likely that they knew who will accept or decline regular admission when we interviewed. Also remember that though we were jilted a bit this program has helped a lot of people over the years and will continue to do so going forward.

@Akira2011. I know this is easy for me to say cause i'm not in your shoes but not beat up up too much on your self. Try to channel your energy towards next cycle. OSU is done with and there is not much we can do. I don't know your numbers but mine was not great but i spent considerable time working on my PS and all my activities section (PM me if you want details). It takes one interview and one acceptance so stay positive and be persistent. Wish you all the best

Last edited:
So, I received the dreaded "rejection" letter in the mail today. I would have to agree with everyone else on the fact that OSU should just be honest with us. They kept us waiting for so long. A nice "We are so popular that we overaccepted, and probably will not be alloted enough seats for those who succesfully complete Medpath this year for the incoming class of 2012" would have been nice instead of just getting straight off rejected. I think the integrity of OSU has gone down because they did sit there and lie to us in front of our faces. They def accepted regular interviewees into the Medpath program prior to us interviewing. This already decreased our chances and the seats avaliable in the program from the start. Throughout the interview we heard 15 seats for the 32 that interviewed however it was more like 9-10 seats. I honestly was not going to accept the offer because I just had a feeling that something was right in my heart. Sometimes, God leads me to feelings and premonitions from the jump. I had the opportunity to interview at a few medical schools and post bac opportunities and I felt like they were more honest and genuine. Thank God for Ikeboy and others because unlike OSU's lackluster adminstration, I can say that the current post bacers were very honest and upfront. They made the program in my eyes at least a little bit worth it. With this process, I can honestly say that I may not recommend OSU Medpath wholeheartedly to future med school applicants. I do not want others to be *screwed* as we where. One thing you have to learn is to always open your options and apply vastly. Wake Forest Post Bac (exceptional), GEM (exceptional+expensive) AMS post bac (exceptional+free), OSU Medpath (hmmmmm...not quite sure). We will all be physicians throughout all of the perils that we may face and keeping your head up and trying again will only make you stronger. I will keep all of you in my prayers and keep the faith :love:

well.. there are a lot of emotions going on in here and i definitely completely understand why. the whole situation was a bad situation for everyone.

what I do want to say however is that you guys were not lied to on interview day per se by the medpath admins. osu adcoms had 100% to do with this years fiasco, not medpath. they were going over the heads of medpath accepting people from regular admissions and also basically tying the hands of the medpath admin this entire of time of you guys waiting..and they were also not being upfront as to why. the actual medpath program itself is a really good program that is tuition free to 87% of every class..I am not sure what the letters said that were sent out, but I am sure that medpath was not allowed to be specific as to what happened.

This years situation is a very very sad one on so many levels. it almost seemed as if the osu adcoms attempted to make many decisions for medpath and for the medschool which they werent accustomed to doing and failed at directing both. Its sad for the incoming class of med students, its sad to all the middlemen who are made to keep their mouths closed when they have justifiably mad students wanting answers, its detrimental to the budget of the osu medschool, and its considerably sad for medpath and this years interviewees. i dont think i would be overstepping to say that 90% of osu's minority students come from medpath, and this program is taking a big, big hit. I am so sorry that many of you used so many of your resources to get here for an interview only to feel the way most of you do afterwards.

I really just dont want you guys having a bad impression of medpath itself, now the osu adcoms, thats another story. if you feel very strongly about this situation as i did, please write or call the osu med admissions and voice your opinion. I did. I wrote them a long email on how theyve potentially shorted the class of 2016 by 7, most likely minority physicians; and how much effort, time and resources went into each candidate coming here, with diminished chances awaiting them, only to leave them hanging for a long time. It was a very long winded letter and while it may not affect this years class, it may make them inclined to increase a future class or 50% or so in order to make up for this years gap, or increase funding to the program, etc.

yes all students are suffering because of this, but the last students they need to cut corners with, are the underrepresented, and they need to know that.

Ikeboy, you are very right. If we did write letters who do we send them to? I do not want to send it to Medpath since they are not the ones to blame.

well.. there are a lot of emotions going on in here and i definitely completely understand why. the whole situation was a bad situation for everyone.

what I do want to say however is that you guys were not lied to on interview day per se by the medpath admins. osu adcoms had 100% to do with this years fiasco, not medpath. they were going over the heads of medpath accepting people from regular admissions and also basically tying the hands of the medpath admin this entire of time of you guys waiting..and they were also not being upfront as to why. the actual medpath program itself is a really good program that is tuition free to 87% of every class..I am not sure what the letters said that were sent out, but I am sure that medpath was not allowed to be specific as to what happened.

This years situation is a very very sad one on so many levels. it almost seemed as if the osu adcoms attempted to make many decisions for medpath and for the medschool which they werent accustomed to doing and failed at directing both. Its sad for the incoming class of med students, its sad to all the middlemen who are made to keep their mouths closed when they have justifiably mad students wanting answers, its detrimental to the budget of the osu medschool, and its considerably sad for medpath and this years interviewees. i dont think i would be overstepping to say that 90% of osu's minority students come from medpath, and this program is taking a big, big hit. I am so sorry that many of you used so many of your resources to get here for an interview only to feel the way most of you do afterwards.

I really just dont want you guys having a bad impression of medpath itself, now the osu adcoms, thats another story. if you feel very strongly about this situation as i did, please write or call the osu med admissions and voice your opinion. I did. I wrote them a long email on how theyve potentially shorted the class of 2016 by 7, most likely minority physicians; and how much effort, time and resources went into each candidate coming here, with diminished chances awaiting them, only to leave them hanging for a long time. It was a very long winded letter and while it may not affect this years class, it may make them inclined to increase a future class or 50% or so in order to make up for this years gap, or increase funding to the program, etc.

yes all students are suffering because of this, but the last students they need to cut corners with, are the underrepresented, and they need to know that.

IkeBoy I would like to write a letter also, please let me know where to send it. Thanks.

WOW I'm shocked at what Ohio State did :eek: after reading all these posts, I'm so glad I turned down the interview invite because of not being able to afford the flight to Ohio. My heart goes out to all that spent the time and money to interview at a school that made it seem that they had a 50% chance of getting accepted. Keep your heads up, everything happens for a reason :)

So, I received the dreaded "rejection" letter in the mail today. I would have to agree with everyone else on the fact that OSU should just be honest with us. They kept us waiting for so long. A nice "We are so popular that we overaccepted, and probably will not be alloted enough seats for those who succesfully complete Medpath this year for the incoming class of 2012" would have been nice instead of just getting straight off rejected. I think the integrity of OSU has gone down because they did sit there and lie to us in front of our faces. They def accepted regular interviewees into the Medpath program prior to us interviewing. This already decreased our chances and the seats avaliable in the program from the start. Throughout the interview we heard 15 seats for the 32 that interviewed however it was more like 9-10 seats. I honestly was not going to accept the offer because I just had a feeling that something was right in my heart. Sometimes, God leads me to feelings and premonitions from the jump. I had the opportunity to interview at a few medical schools and post bac opportunities and I felt like they were more honest and genuine. Thank God for Ikeboy and others because unlike OSU's lackluster adminstration, I can say that the current post bacers were very honest and upfront. They made the program in my eyes at least a little bit worth it. With this process, I can honestly say that I may not recommend OSU Medpath wholeheartedly to future med school applicants. I do not want others to be *screwed* as we where. One thing you have to learn is to always open your options and apply vastly. Wake Forest Post Bac (exceptional), GEM (exceptional+expensive) AMS post bac (exceptional+free), OSU Medpath (hmmmmm...not quite sure). We will all be physicians throughout all of the perils that we may face and keeping your head up and trying again will only make you stronger. I will keep all of you in my prayers and keep the faith :love:

Just got my letter of acceptance today! :) I am super excited to be offered a spot at such a great school. But I also got an offer to interview at AMS (Associated Medical Schools of NY) which I did not know even existed before. Now I am scrounging together what little I have to go to this interview. But it seems like from what I have been reading it would be worth the trouble to go to.

Just got my letter of acceptance today! :) I am super excited to be offered a spot at such a great school. But I also got an offer to interview at AMS (Associated Medical Schools of NY) which I did not know even existed before. Now I am scrounging together what little I have to go to this interview. But it seems like from what I have been reading it would be worth the trouble to go to.

Congratulations yet again Destined! I'm sure your heart will point you in the right direction...when it's the right fit, you can certainly feel it immediately! Don't ignore the whispers along the way, whether positive or negative!! Thank you for being so open about all that you've received and achieved, thus far. It is much appreciated and it seems like your efforts are being duly rewarded! Given the impossible odds at MEDPATH this cycle you should really be proud of your accomplishments. Best wishes to you and for your future career as a physician :)

Hey guys! I was accepted into the Medpath progam as well. I am one of the 30 or so students that actually traveled to OSU for the interview. I just wanted to let you guys know that I will actually be turning down my spot as I was accepted into a regular M.D. admissions program. I hope one of you guys gets this spot! :)

Received my MEDPATH rejection letter on 10.14.11.:cry:
Accepted to Medical school on 5.17.11, starting this fall.:love:

Dreams come through believe in yourselves. :banana:

Received my MEDPATH rejection letter on 10.14.11.:cry:
Accepted to Medical school on 5.17.11, starting this fall.:love:

Dreams come through believe in yourselves. :banana:

Congratulations Man. I am excited for you. Good luck more hard work ahead of us this fall. Wish you all the best.