Ohio State MEDPATH 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
welcome! and from my experience..there is no particular method or reason to assigning interview dates other than they like to interview about ~15 a day over the course of 2 days.. you dont have a better chance on one day than the other.. of course.. you get get a different interviewer on a different day from chance..and that could make or break you.. but in general ..one day is not significant from the other.. i actually was assigned the monday interview date last year and switched to wednesday.. i dont believe they pick half and half on each day. they actually vote.. and at the end the 15 with highest total get in..
Thanks IkeBoy! I'm a little more relaxed now, haha. Another question: does OSU COM offer you the conditional acceptance immediately after completing all Medpath requirements satisfactorily (for example, would you enter this Fall with the Class of 2015)? Or do you have to wait another year in order to reactivate your AMCAS file, apply again, and wait for a decision through another application cycle for entry in Fall 2012 (COM Class of 2016)??? Thanks in advance for all your help and info!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks IkeBoy! I'm a little more relaxed now, haha. Another question: does OSU COM offer you the conditional acceptance immediately after completing all Medpath requirements satisfactorily (for example, would you enter this Fall with the Class of 2015)? Or do you have to wait another year in order to reactivate your AMCAS file, apply again, and wait for a decision through another application cycle for entry in Fall 2012 (COM Class of 2016)??? Thanks in advance for all your help and info!!!!!

you begin the immediate fall.. so fall of this year for us.

I am in the same predicament as 1913babydoc with waiting for a host. They were not asking the current post-bacers to host because of the studying and stress related with the MCAT retake, but now that is over maybe they will ask you guys now Ikeboy. I do not mind staying with a male or female ( I am a female). I will give them until this week to see if I get a host.

I spoke with them in the office this week and they said they would contact everyone regarding Medpath host by the end of this week. Otherwise, hotel prices are not bad at all with the COM discount... I was also told there are 15 spots chosen from the 32 interviewees this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any required summer sessions/classes after the Medpath required for you all or do you get this summer off?

there is also a summer qtr portion called a "pre entry program" there are a bunch of subjects involved including a "mini-gross anatomy," immuno, biochem, etc. you just have to get a 70 on this portion of the requirements.. once you start medpath.. you wont really get a break until after the winter qtr of your med 1 yr.. the winter and spring breaks of medpath go to mcat. and then you pretty much only have a week or less sprinkled here and there until the next winter break.. once the summer session ends..med school starts in <10 days..

Current MP'er here just chiming in to say congratulations to all who received interview invites - we'll be seeing you soon!

Don't be too nervous - getting an interview was half the battle, you're almost there, finish strong...

Good luck!:xf:

For men, the photo that we're handing in, is it best to be wearing a suit in the pic? I have a studio pic, but I'm just wearing a collared shirt.

For men, the photo that we're handing in, is it best to be wearing a suit in the pic? I have a studio pic, but I'm just wearing a collared shirt.

I believe the admin. committee just want to put a face to your file when they go over it together.. the pic should be fine.. however, this is a very important event... and if you are like me and start thinking about everything afterwards and saying things like.. "dang, i shouldve worn a suit in the pic!" lol.. than u can easily just take a quick picture and print it at cvs the morning of your interview like i did.. since i had a suit on already..

but if your fine with the pic, im sure the admin committee wont have a problem with a collared shirt..

Last edited:
Greetings fellow Medpath Candidates!! Just wanted to check-in with those who interviewed yesterday to see how things went and what y'all thought of the overall experience. Hope things went well for you guys!!!!!!!!!:luck:

Welp, since everyone's done with interviews and I just now finished mine today so I guess I'll be the first to talk. Though I think my interview went okay, because the interviewer was friendly, I didn't feel that my interview was long enough and I learned from one of the medpathers that repeating what's already on your application could be exactly what doesn't get you in...which I might have done... I had to go along with the interviewer and it became a little difficult to deviate from things already listed on my app...but boy did I try! I also found it pretty difficult to smile when talking about difficult times that I went through, which I think is normal, but for me it just feels odd not to smile. It seems pretty impossible to gauge how well my interviewer went; from what medpathers said, "well" from one's perspective could mean not accepted and "not well" could very well mean in. Only two weeks can tell... Definitely wanted to thank you though, Ikeboy, cause' you were a huge help with all the advice and stuff. Hope things go well with mcat results. Glad to see that all the medpathers are a cool group of people, too. I'll do my best to keep medpath in the back of my mind for now so that I don't get my hopes up and so that this next two weeks might fly. Good luck all!

Members don't see this ad :)
oh, also...regardless as to whether I was accepted or not, I had an absolutely amazing experience and have a really good impression of medpath and med school at osu!

Welp, since everyone's done with interviews and I just now finished mine today so I guess I'll be the first to talk. Though I think my interview went okay, because the interviewer was friendly, I didn't feel that my interview was long enough and I learned from one of the medpathers that repeating what's already on your application could be exactly what doesn't get you in...which I might have done... I had to go along with the interviewer and it became a little difficult to deviate from things already listed on my app...but boy did I try! I also found it pretty difficult to smile when talking about difficult times that I went through, which I think is normal, but for me it just feels odd not to smile. It seems pretty impossible to gauge how well my interviewer went; from what medpathers said, "well" from one's perspective could mean not accepted and "not well" could very well mean in. Only two weeks can tell... Definitely wanted to thank you though, Ikeboy, cause' you were a huge help with all the advice and stuff. Hope things go well with mcat results. Glad to see that all the medpathers are a cool group of people, too. I'll do my best to keep medpath in the back of my mind for now so that I don't get my hopes up and so that this next two weeks might fly. Good luck all!

Congrats on finishing your interview! Im glad you had a great time the last couple of days. No prob on the advice. Im sure you found how hard it was to really apply any of the advice. In reality, the interview will go the same way with or without the extra info, IMO. Ofcourse, its good to know some things; but, I feel like there is only so much you can do under pressure.

It really is impossible to discern whether or not your interview went "well." All of you guys were actually a great bunch and Im sure decisions will be hard. Definitely try to get your mind off of the outcome. Def, send your interviewer a thank you e-mail. Have fun these next few weeks and stay busy! Were both in the waiting game for now and may we both have excellent outcomes!

Last edited:
I think I know very well who the two of you guys are (denriq and Ikeboy18), but anywayz. Whew! I felt the exact same way about my interview denriq, so don't feel bad at all. It was very hard to gauge how it went. It was not bad at all, but i felt like I left a lot unsaid and that I answered questions incorrectly. All I can say is to pray. Only God knows the destiny and the outcome. At the end of the day, we will all be physicians and look back at this experience as something that has made us stronger. I was not nervous going in to it, but I became nervous throughout. My interviewer actually strayed away from my file and was just trying to get to know me as a person. I thought that was bad lolz. I felt like did he read my file throroughly at all, so I don't know if that is negative or positive. We will be alright and Ikeboy18, I know you guys all aced the MCAT ..you guys were hilarious and are very great people !!!

I think I know very well who the two of you guys are (denriq and Ikeboy18), but anywayz. Whew! I felt the exact same way about my interview denriq, so don't feel bad at all. It was very hard to gauge how it went. It was not bad at all, but i felt like I left a lot unsaid and that I answered questions incorrectly. All I can say is to pray. Only God knows the destiny and the outcome. At the end of the day, we will all be physicians and look back at this experience as something that has made us stronger. I was not nervous going in to it, but I became nervous throughout. My interviewer actually strayed away from my file and was just trying to get to know me as a person. I thought that was bad lolz. I felt like did he read my file throroughly at all, so I don't know if that is negative or positive. We will be alright and Ikeboy18, I know you guys all aced the MCAT ..you guys were hilarious and are very great people !!!

I felt the same way about mine. I thought it was rather short. All the best to everyone. I have been to a few other interviews and by far The OSU is the most impressive. I will try to stay out here for two weeks.

Weeks? That just may be torture, considering they voted on us after the interviews. AND I was told we would hear by Friday. Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone.

PS: OSU Med seems outstanding, so excited.

Last edited:
Really, they voted that same day?! Results are supposed to come this Friday? I don't remember hearing that; not that you're wrong, but I definitely must have missed something. Man...I just sent out thank you emails, too. Oh well. After a good night's rest I was able to think clearly about yesterday. I think what was helpful for me is when they told us that they've already considered everything on paper already, so now it's all about getting to know us. My interviewer started off by telling me to relax and be myself. So I did. Maybe I was a little too honest though because I remember seeing my interviewer's head jut back a few times with some of the comments that I made...is that a bad thing? I'm not sure if I blew it, but my interviewer probably liked or hated me. I wish I could have explained myself a little better though. When people ask me to talk about things that I'm not really used to talking about - myself, emotions from memories tend to mix up my logic and remove my game face. Sometimes it's really different when you hear the things that are actually coming out of your mouth. Something I am happy about though, is if I didn't come to this interview because I was worried about the expenses, then I would have a lot of regret right now. I guess I did the best I could have at the time. Overall, I guess I feel pretty good.

I don't think we had the same interview day, but it wasn't exactly an announcement. I asked privately. And all of the interviewers were congregating as I was leaving and I was told that the meeting was to vote. I think that they are doing this more expeditiously this year because the interviews were later and they still need to give people time to decide.

Really, they voted that same day?! Results are supposed to come this Friday? I don't remember hearing that; not that you're wrong, but I definitely must have missed something. Man...I just sent out thank you emails, too. Oh well. After a good night's rest I was able to think clearly about yesterday. I think what was helpful for me is when they told us that they've already considered everything on paper already, so now it's all about getting to know us. My interviewer started off by telling me to relax and be myself. So I did. Maybe I was a little too honest though because I remember seeing my interviewer's head jut back a few times with some of the comments that I made...is that a bad thing? I'm not sure if I blew it, but my interviewer probably liked or hated me. I wish I could have explained myself a little better though. When people ask me to talk about things that I'm not really used to talking about - myself, emotions from memories tend to mix up my logic and remove my game face. Sometimes it's really different when you hear the things that are actually coming out of your mouth. Something I am happy about though, is if I didn't come to this interview because I was worried about the expenses, then I would have a lot of regret right now. I guess I did the best I could have at the time. Overall, I guess I feel pretty good.

wow if you guys got results back that soon that would be great! and denriq.. you are exactly how i said i was a few posts back regarding the picture..lol .. youre going over and scrutinizing everything.. just relax. its all laid out there.. we all got a really good impression of you at info night and if any of that drive and interest to be here was conveyed in your interview..which im sure it it was..then you did all you can do.. just relax..

remember everyone.. given that over the years people have had some terrible interviews and got accepted.. and others had great interviews and got rejected.. that its just impossible to know what your interviewer was thinking.. just relax.. say lots of positive affirmations..visualize yourself on campus.. have lots of positive energy about your interview and interviewer.. you will be surprised how much the universe and laws of attraction work.. good look everyone!

wow, thumb twiddling is actually pretty difficult...just didn't wanna' keep this thread too quiet while playing the waiting game. ;) i've got the day off tomorrow, so it looks like i'll spend it reading in a cafe...gotta' pump up that verbal score!

Still no word for me either. . . . . .lol! But I'm sending out good vibes and hoping for GOOD NEWS :D :luck: :nod:

akira, did you interview on wed? ...not that i'm trying to narrow you down :)

akira, did you interview on wed? ...not that i'm trying to narrow you down :)

I did interview on Wednesday. No worries on trying to narrow me down! I've been trying to do the same :) I think I know who you are...if so, I sat next to you in the conference room (to your right). The waiting game is no fun!

hahaha, gotcha, well i'm definitely rootin' for you then! ...so, anyone have any favorite quotes that really struck them? I know, random right...

hahaha, gotcha, well i'm definitely rootin' for you then! ...so, anyone have any favorite quotes that really struck them? I know, random right...

Thanks denriq! I'm rooting for you as well! Hopefully we will have reason to celebrate very soon. Favorite quotes?? hmmmmm, as in quotes from interview day? Or just in general? :rolleyes:

In general. I watched maya angelou on an interview and she said, "It was my past that shaped me, but it was education that liberated me." She switched it up from her original quote substituting the word "past" for what was originally "segregation". Either way, this quote just reminds me to change the way I think. Also, I've been on this cultural kick lately so just about everything I read these days that even touch on my cultures, I seem to find moving. ha!

Ikeboy, here's a question...why did you go with medpath? What pushed you in that direction? ...I'm thinking it's not the diversity. Cause' I think I remember where you said you were from and I would have thought that there are probably a lot of other programs there and you could have had in-state. If you feel like answering the question but don't want to post it then you could always just pm me.

Well guys I interviewed on Monday, I think it went pretty well. The info night was awesome and half the people at my interview were looking out for a lady with a bandaged finger. :D

Naturally, I stopped worrying about the interview right after I left Ohio. But now its two weeks later and I'm starting to get nervous and worry. Is anyone else feeling the torture of waiting.

Hopefully not.:xf:

Thanks IkeBoy18 for being an awesome host. I really appreciated all your help and insight.

i checked the old forums and 2 years ago people got their answers after a week and a half...meaning today or monday. i hope it's that way this year. but last year was a full two weeks. it would be nice to just know so that way i can move on to plan b if necessary.

Did anyone else receieve the random OSU Password management email? Email saying to change your password by May 23,2011?? Thanks

Oh ok, I figured out how to change it !

Last edited:
Did anyone else receieve the random OSU Password management email? Email saying to change your password by May 23,2011?? Thanks

When you received the original message from Ohio State confirming that they were in receipt of your secondary application, did you follow the instructions regarding your student ID number and temporary case sensitive password? Item #2 of that email message instructed applicants to save the student ID number provided to them, but to change their temporary password via a link to the university's Professional Admissions Office website. I'm curious because I didn't receive any email correspondence lately instructing me to change my password before May 23rd. However, I wonder if it's because I changed my temporary password back in October 2010, when I received the confirmation message from OSU. Successful or Naijaman, did either of you change your passwords in the past and are now also getting this new notification? Thanks in advance for responding!!!

"...cuz' i'm soooo anxious..." oops, lemme' turn off that ginuwine.

hmmm...i didn't get the email. i hope it's not a you-only-get-this-email-if-you-got-into-the-program indicator.

I sifted through old emails and I did get the email about changing my password, but my deadline was April 4, which I missed. How can you change it though unless you're already a student at OSU? Did you just use your AMCAS ID and the password that OSU gave you? Also, I thought we just check MedSTAR to see if we were accepted into the program, so does the change-password thing matter? Little confusing...anyone?

Yes, I never changed my password from the time I received my secondary. So, I guess that is why I received the email telling me to do so. Denriq, you just have to use your login and password that you were given from your secondary and change the password. To be real, I really don't think it matters because you have the login for the status area. It was probably just a system wide email and nothing to worry about.

Yes I believe they are mailing out decisions anyway.. Not updating medstar.

hey I emailed Aiko and she said they are changing how they send out decisions but couldn't tell me anything more than that. She said it was due to a larger amount of applicants and would keep me updated as things changed.

By the looks of her email it looks like they have made decisions but don't want to mail the decisions.

Nikki is back apparently, I spoke with her today and she said that at this time its out of Medpath's hands and they are not to notify the interviewees of their decisions until they get the word from the admissions committee. She said letter would be mailed and didn't mention anything about alternatives to notifying everyone, but then again she has been gone.

Nikki is back apparently, I spoke with her today and she said that at this time its out of Medpath's hands and they are not to notify the interviewees of their decisions until they get the word from the admissions committee. She said letter would be mailed and didn't mention anything about alternatives to notifying everyone, but then again she has been gone.

Thanks BabyDoc! Did Nikki state if letters had already been mailed or if they were still pending taking such action. I still haven't received anything via US mail or otherwise :xf:

No letters have been mailed out because they are waiting for adcom. All decisions have already been made.

I did change my password each time I received the email notification from Ohio State. I'll go ahead and comply with this request also. I see no harm in it.

ok so apparently there has been a lot going on in the admissions office regarding regular MD admissions.. nothing to do with medpath directly..but because the admissions office is handling this big problem.. they have every affiliated organization that feeds into the med school on hold.. there will be a medpath.. but the decisions are just being held... they have already been made.. medpath has done their part.. they are waiting on the admissions office to give the green light to notify the accepted people.

that being said i have no clue when decisions will go out.. sorry that this is dragging out.. but it isnt the fault of anyone associated with medpath..try to hang in there guys!

on to other bittersweet news.. i killed the mcat! but some of my good friends didnt do so well and it makes me sad.. this "post mcat results" atmosphere is so muted..its just very weird.. im sure you guys will find out next year when you experience it.. good luck to you all! and take your mind off the waiting! :D

class overbooked by at least 50.. probably more like 70-80.

We have some news to share with you that will hopefully provide you with more flexibility as you pursue your medical degree.

Due to a high volume of individuals who have indicated that they plan to attend The Ohio State University College of Medicine (OSU COM) beginning in August 2011 as part of the Class of 2015, OSU COM has decided to provide an incentive to encourage some students to defer entry into the College of Medicine until August 2012.

If you are willing to defer your matriculation into OSU COM until August of 2012, we will provide you with a scholarship equal to free in-state tuition for your first year in medical school at OSU COM (approximately $34,000, but in any event the full in-state tuition value in the Fall of 2012), so long as you continue to meet the technical standards for conduct required of students in OSU COM. This tuition-only scholarship will be in addition to any previous scholarship dollars OSU COM has awarded you. If you decide to take this offer to defer your matriculation until August 2012, it is expected that you will be committed to matriculating at the OSU COM.

Deferring medical school entry for a year may give you some time to rest after your rigorous undergraduate curriculum or pursue other interests. We hope that the offer of a full in-state tuition first year scholarship will help you make a decision.

These scholarships will be offered up to 50 individuals, with scholarship awarded in the order in which the responses are received. If you would like to take advantage of this opportunity, please respond promptly by email only to [email protected]. No responses will be accepted after 5 pm Eastern Standard Time on Thursday, May 12, 2011. We will notify you promptly by return email if you are one of the scholarship recipients.

If you are not interested in this offer, you do not need to respond to this email.

If you have questions about this offer please contact Dr. Patricia Blyden, Ms. Sharon Agriesti, or me by calling (614) 292-7137.

Thank you for your interest in the Ohio State University College of Medicine.

Quinn Capers, IV, MD, FACC, FSCAI
Associate Dean for Admissions
The Ohio State University College of Medicine

Wow. Was this offer given to you as a medpath student? Thanks for the update and congrats on the mcat scores!

no not offered to medpathers... just those that have accepted offers from osu for the fall. so this is the reason you guys are on hold. because the admissions office has to give the green light to notify you guys..but they have their hands full at the moment.

Last edited: