Ohio State MEDPATH 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dang! ...glad to hear that you tore the mcat up, but sad to hear about the others. thanks for the info again, that explains a lot. i'm glad that dr. capers emails stated to respond by may 12th. sounds like it's possible that we might get an answer somewhat soon...but then again, considering the fact that most medical school students come from well-off families, what's a 34K scholarship? ...hopefully it's enough for people to defer so that this waiting game ends and we get some helpful activity in the forum about the next steps.

Members don't see this ad.

dang! ...glad to hear that you tore the mcat up, but sad to hear about the others. thanks for the info again, that explains a lot. i'm glad that dr. capers emails stated to respond by may 12th. sounds like it's possible that we might get an answer somewhat soon...but then again, considering the fact that most medical school students come from well-off families, what's a 34K scholarship? ...hopefully it's enough for people to defer so that this waiting game ends and we get some helpful activity in the forum about the next steps.

yeah 34k.. especially if theyre smart.. i could see maybe a 22 yo.. who just graduated from college.. maybe taking a year off.. but in general.. your losing a working year.. so a year when you could be making $100k+.. you only get 34k? i think not

So Ikeboy, did some of the medpathers not receieve the 24 needed to matriculate at OSU this upcoming year??

Members don't see this ad :)
At IkeBoy18 congrats on the MCAT scores and thanks for all the information you constantly provide for us.

CONGRATULATIONS IKEBOY!!! And thank you for all your replies :)

Oh wow, I am so sorry!! This program is intense. You have to go hard...or you will go home lolz. But congrats to you and your cohort who did excel up and beyond!!!

thanks for all the love people! i know the wait is killing you guys.. but just hang in there!

hmm.. lets get some convo going not about the wait..lol..

sooo.. what did you guys like most about osu? i guess ill start if off.. i really like the ISP program.. because I definitely am a non-class room oriented self studier.. just give me the material.. and im on it.. so i definitely will be taking advantage of that next year...

thanks for all the love people! i know the wait is killing you guys.. but just hang in there!

hmm.. lets get some convo going not about the wait..lol..

sooo.. what did you guys like most about osu? i guess ill start if off.. i really like the ISP program.. because I definitely am a non-class room oriented self studier.. just give me the material.. and im on it.. so i definitely will be taking advantage of that next year...

I really loved everything about OSU COM! I was super impressed with the medical school facilities: lecture hall, clinical skills and assessment, library, even the underground corridor system linking the school to the hospital. The clinical settings seem to be state-of-the-art as well. The James seems to be at the forefront of cancer treatment and research, plus all the new construction that is taking place can only mean good things in terms of training and high quality patient care/treatment. And everyone was so very amicable and professional! Dr. Capers, Dr. McDougle, and Aiko completely blew me away with how personable and candid they all were throughout the duration of my visit. Not to mention the amazing individuals that are current MEDPATH members as well as OSU med students. I am certain that if/when I am accepted :xf:, I will be one of those students who reaches out to future candidates simply because of how very grateful I am/have been for the help and guidance offered by Ikeboy and others!!!:claps::thumbup: O-H!

Akira, are you trying to keep this place quiet by listing all possible reasons?! Just joking... I think I was most happy about the applicants; everyone was friendly and normal. I felt as comfortable as one could under the circumstances. Honestly, I almost felt like I was around people from back home, except that everyone was goal oriented...

I second everything Akira said. lol...

I spoke with Nikki, yesterday and she told me that the letters should be mailed out no later than 20 May. Everyone is so tight lipped about the whole process, it reminds me of being in the military again. lol...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the update Naijaman!!! I'm coming out of my skin! Excited and nervous all at once! At times I feel I may explode. . . :boom:

You're too funny denriq :) But I really meant everything I wrote :D

so things are crazy around here.. they offered us medpathers incentives to skip a year also.. u can matriculate fall 12.. and get the first yr paid for...just matr. this fall as planned.. or ..u can matr. fall 12 and in the yr inbetween they will pay for you to get an 1 yr mph... and pay for your first year of med school..

sweet deal for those who want an mph.. im opting to just matriculate this fall

Wow, that is crazy. Do you think they will try to defer some of the acceptances for Medpath to next year as well?? I know that was just an extreme thought in my head. It sounds like this over acceptance pool is crazy. Hopefully, it will all work out in the end!!!!

Wow.... talk about an over acceptance on steroids. lol

I'm with you IkeBoy18, on your plan of action.

As for everyone else, does anyone have a plan B following MEDPATHs upcoming decision. Just wondering, and crossing (fingers and toes) that I get accepted. All this waiting is killing me, I'm losing weight and probably going bald... J/K... The wait is almost over. LOL...

My only other options are Hampton University and Mississippi College's masters programs. They both seem to put a good amount of the graduates into med school following the program. The Miss College program is only a year. Though financial aid could ruin these plans, too. For me, MEDPATH is the only financially sensible plan.

Any letters yet?

I got accepted into the NIH Postbac IRTA program for the National Cancer Institute during the 1st week of April. Back then I told my PI about MEDPATH and my goals and she was cool with me being upfront about the interview with her. So far her lab has been very generous with me as far as letting me pursue MEDPATH :love:. I received a call yesterday from my PI's secretary and she wanted to know if I was still committed to starting with NIH on July 1st :(.

At this point I am truly torn and would like a decision from MEDPATH like yesterday! Lol…:xf:

On vacation at South Padre Island, Texas and I'm not answering any more phones (seriously) lol. I'll worry about all this come Friday when I get back to Houston. For now the torture of nervously watching the mailbox like a hawk, has been temporarily being bestowed onto my parents. Lol…:cool:

May 23: Jet-ski for 1hr (Coconut Bar), good local food (forgot the name), 3hrs PS3 (its being long coming). Pool hangout with friends :)laugh:They have the sign "NO FOOD" for a reason, We got viciously attacked by a bunch of wild pigeons over a plate of French-fries-they love that stuff:laugh:). Hotel room drinking games and talking (until everyone passed out).:)

May 24 (planned): More Jet-ski 1hr (I love this stuff, but not looking forward to drinking all that saltwater again). Beach time (volleyball game and a host of other activities). More local food (yum). Going to the movies (its been long coming). Oh yeah going to a Bar or more hotel room drinking and partying.:)

May 25 (planned): Parasailing (Coconut Bar), Nature trail-walk or drive to one end of the Island and still walk 2hrs (TBD). Dinner Cruise. Pool Party, till close at the Hilton Garden Inn (learned my lessen about bringing food to the pool). :)

May 26: Going back to Houston on this day and hopefully to more good news!!!:xf:

Wow Naijaman24, you are about to get it in. I will also be on vacation as of tomorrow in Tx, but I am heading to Austin lol!!! I also received a few offers and a post bac that would be hard as heck to turn down because it is fully paid for and includes a stipend every month. I would not have to retake the MCAT and would just have to receive a B in all of the courses. It is also for a great medical school. Oh well, God knows what is best. *continues to wait* SIGH !!!!

The College of Medicine Admissions Office apologizes for the delay but they will contact all of the MEDPATH candidates with final decisions soon. In the meantime if you have any questions please contact the MEDPATH office at 614-292-3161 or the Admissions office at 614-292-7137.

Wow Naijaman24, you are about to get it in. I will also be on vacation as of tomorrow in Tx, but I am heading to Austin lol!!! I also received a few offers and a post bac that would be hard as heck to turn down because it is fully paid for and includes a stipend every month. I would not have to retake the MCAT and would just have to receive a B in all of the courses. It is also for a great medical school. Oh well, God knows what is best. *continues to wait* SIGH !!!!
Have a little bit of news for you,

Here is the e-mail I received today.

"The College of Medicine Admissions Office apologizes for the delay but they will contact all of the MEDPATH candidates with final decisions soon. In the meantime if you have any questions please contact the MEDPATH office at 614-292-3161 or the Admissions office at 614-292-7137.
Please discontinue using the number that Ms. Aiko Yonamine provided to you. That is her personal cell number and was only to be used during your time on campus.

Your continued patience is appreciated.
Nikki Radcliffe

Associate Director
MEDPATH Program
Ohio State University Medical Center
Meiling Hall, B029
370 W. Ninth Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43210
ph: 614-292-3161
fx: 614-292-2556

Hi everyone! Did y'all get Nikki's email this morning regarding candidates being contacted soon with final decisions for MEDPATH???

The College of Medicine Admissions Office apologizes for the delay but they will contact all of the MEDPATH candidates with final decisions soon. In the meantime if you have any questions please contact the MEDPATH office at 614-292-3161 or the Admissions office at 614-292-7137.

Have a little bit of news for you,

Here is the e-mail I received today.

"The College of Medicine Admissions Office apologizes for the delay but they will contact all of the MEDPATH candidates with final decisions soon. In the meantime if you have any questions please contact the MEDPATH office at 614-292-3161 or the Admissions office at 614-292-7137.
Please discontinue using the number that Ms. Aiko Yonamine provided to you. That is her personal cell number and was only to be used during your time on campus.

Your continued patience is appreciated.
Nikki Radcliffe

Associate Director
MEDPATH Program
Ohio State University Medical Center
Meiling Hall, B029
370 W. Ninth Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43210
ph: 614-292-3161
fx: 614-292-2556

LOLOLOL! I guess this answers my question ;)

Ok, so I had a great vacation except my last night. So somehow I managed (without alcohol) to slip on a comforter and bust my head on a solid oakwood center table:cool:. Which resulted in a CT scan at the lovely VA medical center in Houston.

I was warned by my Doctor on the need to protect my head as it is my most valuable asset if I plan on becoming a Doctor. :D

In the mean time NASA has graciously offered me an internship for the summer (don't really know what I'll be doing yet).:D

CONGRATS!!

I just called Nikki and she said the decisions were going to be sent out tomorrow...not sure if that is true...may be bad news if you didnt get a phone call :(

Do you know why they called you instead of sending a letter?

Yes she said in the phone conversation that the letters will be sent out soon. She was just calling to congratulate me! I'm super excited/nervous/OMG when does it start/how do I pay for it. Tons of emotions are flying right now!

CONGRATS!!

I just called Nikki and she said the decisions were going to be sent out tomorrow...not sure if that is true...may be bad news if you didnt get a phone call :(

Do you know why they called you instead of sending a letter?

I'm a bit mystified now since I have called Nikki twice this week, left messages both times, and she has yet to return my phone calls. And I was simply calling to ensure that MEDPATH had my most current address on file. At first I thought she was out of the office due to Memorial Day weekend, vacation, etc., but now I know that she's definitely in. Why wouldn't she return my phone calls???

I wouldn't worry about it, when I called today she was....kinda rude...she said letters would be mailed out Friday...but then again that is what she said last time.

She is probably just grumpy becuase of all the calls and emails shes been getting about decisions.

I wouldn't worry about it, when I called today she was....kinda rude...she said letters would be mailed out Friday...but then again that is what she said last time.

She is probably just grumpy becuase of all the calls and emails shes been getting about decisions.

This whole process has not been pretty since the interview. I expected OSU to be a bit organized than this. Anyhow, Congratulations on those who have gotten into the program. Fortunately for me I have been accepted off of wait-list so i will be a med student this August at my one of my state schools.. Good luck to those that are still waiting.

This whole process has not been pretty since the interview. I expected OSU to be a bit organized than this. Anyhow, Congratulations on those who have gotten into the program. Fortunately for me I have been accepted off of wait-list so i will be a med student this August at my one of my state schools.. Good luck to those that are still waiting.

Thanks for the info Dominican! Believe it or not, your message calmed me down a bit today! And congratulations Bigz, that's the best news ever...pat yourself on the back :)

But back to Nikki, lol. I'm certain that she is extremely busy and stressed out with all of our inquiries, but I have not contacted the office via phone until this week (JUNE, mind you) and it was to make a legitimate inquiry regarding my file, not to badger her with questions about letters or admissions decisions! Plus, her voicemail message clearly states that if you desire to leave a message, please do so and she will return your call "as soon as possible." Has anyone else gotten a phone call besides Destined (Congrats again, btw :) )????? Anyone? Why is everyone so quiet suddenly?

Hi everyone. I'm actually new to this but I have been keeping up with everyone's comments since the beginning. I guess I never thought of joining until now. Hehehe. Lol.

Anyways, I would like to say congratulations to everyone who has finally been accepted to this wonderful program or anywhere else. Congrads, u guys made it. =)

I actually have yet to receive correspondence regarding my status. It's just killing me not knowing. Now that that someone actually got a phone call worries me even more cuz I never received one. Should we be scared at this point? Should we have no longer hopes of getting in? So many thoughts, questions, and emotions r going through my head right now. Now I really don't know what to expect. What I'm confused about is that the last time I talked to Nikki (this week) she said that letters (regular USPS mail) were ganna be the only forms of correspondence to inform the students. I'm confused. Was there only a limited number of phone calls made, or was there only one? Did anyone else received one? I'm just freaking out and don't know what to think. Aaaaaaaaaaaaa. Lol.

Well best of luck to everyone out there. I really hope we all get in. Suerte

just a quick post.. i dont have much time.. but congrats to those accepted... for those waitlisted... theres still hope..

also..there has been lots of drama going on with osu admissions.. please dont be mad at nikki for the issues, she has really been given a hard time by admissions.. and she has been fighting to let you guys know who was accepted for the longest.. it makes things easier for everyone..its no fault of her own ..the drama that has ensued since interviews.. and even before interviews.. its really been rough.. i will be back later post. good luck to those who havent heard .

just a quick post.. i dont have much time.. but congrats to those accepted... for those waitlisted... theres still hope..

also..there has been lots of drama going on with osu admissions.. please dont be mad at nikki for the issues, she has really been given a hard time by admissions.. and she has been fighting to let you guys know who was accepted for the longest.. it makes things easier for everyone..its no fault of her own ..the drama that has ensued since interviews.. and even before interviews.. its really been rough.. i will be back later post. good luck to those who havent heard .

Hi there! I'm not upset with Nikki whatsoever, honestly :) My concern is that I have left her two messages and she hasn't returned my calls. I simply want to know that MEDPATH has my correct address. I have waited patiently for OSU to make its decisions and, trust me, it has not been easy!!! Not once have I called or emailed until now when I realized that the office could possibly still have my former address on file (and believe me I have wanted to call like a madman, lol). But it does put me ill-at-ease to find out someone received an acceptance phone call but my messages have remained unanswered. My hope is very much alive and well; however, hope is painful to muster up while in the midst of this limbo. Besides Destined, I don't know of anyone else who is accepted or wait-listed. Again, I think I can speak for us all when I say no one is upset with Nikki. In fact, we very much appreciate all that she does! But this process has been heart-wrenching (as I'm sure you know from experience Ikeboy) and for many of us this decision represents the rest of our lives! We're literally waiting to exhale at this point!!

Hi there! I'm not upset with Nikki whatsoever, honestly :) My concern is that I have left her two messages and she hasn't returned my calls. I simply want to know that MEDPATH has my correct address. I have waited patiently for OSU to make its decisions and, trust me, it has not been easy!!! Not once have I called or emailed until now when I realized that the office could possibly still have my former address on file (and believe me I have wanted to call like a madman, lol). But it does put me ill-at-ease to find out someone received an acceptance phone call but my messages have remained unanswered. My hope is very much alive and well; however, hope is painful to muster up while in the midst of this limbo. Besides Destined, I don't know of anyone else who is accepted or wait-listed. Again, I think I can speak for us all when I say no one is upset with Nikki. In fact, we very much appreciate all that she does! But this process has been heart-wrenching (as I'm sure you know from experience Ikeboy) and for many of us this decision represents the rest of our lives! We're literally waiting to exhale at this point!!
Perfectly understandable Akira2011.

I totally agree with Akira. I, personally, do not have any grudge against Nikki nor any of the other staff. I perfectly understand that this process has not been easy for them or us.... But like Akira mention, this waiting game has definitely been extremely hard on us especially if this "decision will represent the rest of your live."

If it’s true that decision letters will be sent out today, then I would like to wish everyone good luck and best wishes. Hope we all get in.

lol..ok people i was just giving a heads up regarding her.. not that anyone is mad at her per se.. just that she isnt really given much info.. and i definitely know how frustrating the waiting game can be.. i didnt get in until deep into june.. just hang in there.. i know many of you have decisions that have to be made soon or yesterday..lol.. and its harding making them knowing this whole thing is still in the air somewhat.. but hang in there guys!

lol..ok people i was just giving a heads up regarding her.. not that anyone is mad at her per se.. just that she isnt really given much info.. and i definitely know how frustrating the waiting game can be.. i didnt get in until deep into june.. just hang in there.. i know many of you have decisions that have to be made soon or yesterday..lol.. and its harding making them knowing this whole thing is still in the air somewhat.. but hang in there guys!

We will try ikeboy. We will definitely try to hang in there. Pretty sure we'll start hearing back this week.

To those of you that got accepted into OSU-MEDPATH, CONGRATULATIONS on your achievement and good luck with your future MD aspirations. As for everyone else hang in there, the fight is not yet over, there is always next cycle, think positively and believe in yourselves.:):):)

As for OSU admissions committee, they could have a much better job. Leaving so many students hanging out in the wind is really disingenuous. I know I speak for a lot of people when I say that some of us have pending offers, many of them fast approaching deadlines. Even if it is putting someone on a waiting list, at least it would give someone an idea of how to plan further, about other admission offers and considerations. The professionalism, and efficiency displayed by OSU staff during the interview session has been highly lacking, following many of our interviews.

Hopefully next year the OSU admissions committee will do a better job!!! :xf:

(Just my two cents):smuggrin:

Im sorry to be the bearer of bad news.. but because of the admissions issue, medpath will only host 8 students next year. Letters were being sent out today from what i observed, so you will be receiving a letter in the next week or so. 4 of the 8 came through regular admissions interviews and the other 4 came from medpath interviews. basically only 4 of the ~30 interviewees were accepted.

i believe nikki called everyone who was accepted and i believe there is only one on the waitlist. Im am truly sorry for those that werent accepted. this admissions fiasco seems to have its tentacles in everything and with nikki being out on maternity leave that also made things crazy.

let me know if you guys have any questions, again I am sorry I know so many of you were great candidates for this program and I wouldve loved to have you here.