Ohio State MEDPATH 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received any news yet pertaining to an interview?:confused:

I haven't heard anything as yet...been waiting on pins and needles. I wondered if the fact that the app deadline is actually march and not feb 12th, if that would have altered their said time of offering interviews. I'm not sure, just some thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

just a word through the grapevine... 3 people have already been accepted to the program. they interviewed for regular MD admissions and were offered medpath spots.. not sure if they will accept.. however with there only being 15 spots available.. there could potentially be only 12 spots for this years ~35 interviewees.. so make sure you step it up people...

Hey IkeBoy
I know you are a current medpather, do you think it is a good idea to contact Nikki Radcliffe about the statuses of our apps?

just a quick update: I emailed the office to see if they invites had been sent out but they said they still were reviewing applications and I didn't get a time when they would be complete. At first I thought the deadline was in March but I got a email that corrected that back to Feb. so I'm guessing they are waiting on the second round of applications, but the waiting is killing me, haha...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview invite and I'm trying to decide...I can't find the info anywhere but... Does this program require that you retake the mcat during the post bac year?

just a quick update: I emailed the office to see if they invites had been sent out but they said they still were reviewing applications and I didn't get a time when they would be complete. At first I thought the deadline was in March but I got a email that corrected that back to Feb. so I'm guessing they are waiting on the second round of applications, but the waiting is killing me, haha...

I Got an invite today for April 25th. Good luck to everyone.

Just got an interview invite and I'm trying to decide...I can't find the info anywhere but... Does this program require that you retake the mcat during the post bac year?

That is my understanding.

so it seems they are sending out invites so far...congrats to bigz and babydoc...hope i can join you all soon...hopefully all of us can join that invite list...i will be checking my email all day every day lol...and I do believe retaking MCAT is apart of the program..not sure the actual timeline for when it has to be taken....

I just got an invite. I'm wondering if it's possibly to change the interview date though, even if only by a day. Anyone know? I'll be flying in from overseas just for the interview.

Hey IkeBoy
I know you are a current medpather, do you think it is a good idea to contact Nikki Radcliffe about the statuses of our apps?

she is actually out on maternity leave.. a temp is in her place.. i would just wait.. im sure interviews will be completely sent out soon.. and i know i hate the dreaded word..'wait' lol

so it seems they are sending out invites so far...congrats to bigz and babydoc...hope i can join you all soon...hopefully all of us can join that invite list...i will be checking my email all day every day lol...and I do believe retaking MCAT is apart of the program..not sure the actual timeline for when it has to be taken....

you must make a 24 on the mcat.. there are no individual section score requirements.. the test is always taken as a group in april...

Congratulations to those that have received interviews, I hope to join you :). Was the invite received by email?

you must make a 24 on the mcat.. there are no individual section score requirements.. the test is always taken as a group in april...

there was another question about the mcat requirement.. regardless of any previous mcat scores.. you are required to retake the mcat in april of your medpath year... myself and a few others have already made >24; however, this may have been considered on our admission to the program, but does not exempt us from having to take it again..

I have a question about the structure of this program... as it begins mid-late september.

Are classes held monday through friday? 9 to 5?
Do Medpathers take classes with M1's or do they have their own sections?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about the structure of this program... as it begins mid-late september.

Are classes held monday through friday? 9 to 5?
Do Medpathers take classes with M1's or do they have their own sections?

no classes with med students.. you basically are required to retake any med school requirement you made a "C" or less in except organic chem... some people opt to retake courses in preparation for the mcat even if they did not make a C.. Also if you havent had a certain course, then you may be required to take that.. ie.. biochem..micro.. etc.. The vast majority of your classes are with undergrads.. some are graduate classes such as cell bio and physio 601/602...which is 730a M-F btw.. which are both taken with the first year pharmacy students.. most of us took this course.. some people will have the option of taking the undergrad level physio.. also histology and pharmacology are both grad courses.. classes are monday through friday.. some days can get quite long. my schedule during the winter quarter was 730am to 830p.. because of the mcat class you are required to take that is from 6p to 830p.. days can be rough..

overall... medpathers dont have their own sections.. they are in classes with either undergrads or grad students.. and not even in the same classes.. people have different schedules..and usually you will have at least one other medpather in your classes.. but doesnt always work out that way.. i had a class by myself and i know others who also have had a solo course... with the exception of the mcat course by princeton review.. this course is specifically for medpath.. only medpath students are in this class..

hope this helps..

people feel free to ask questions i will try to respond as soon as i can.. good luck!

" How are the people there and the support system there ???"

The people are great.. we get a lot of help from the current med 2's.. who completed medpath 2 yrs ago.. they have been a big big resource.. the program coordinator is def open to our needs.. we help eachother out.. have study groups etc.. there is def a support system in place.. however the majority of it will come from your fellow medpathers.. there are tons of resources outside of that such as the younkin success center.. and nikki also arranges tutors if needed.. but i think that the level of effective support will definitely come from your peers.. i think our group is a pretty good group.. we have all age ranges and many backgrounds..

I am confused as to how (and why) the program begins in mid to late september if medpathers take classes with undergrads. Any clarification on this?

I am confused as to how (and why) the program begins in mid to late september if medpathers take classes with undergrads. Any clarification on this?

I believe Ohio state is on the quarter system not the semester system. quarter system usually run from late September and the school year ends early June instead of the early September to mid April of semester schools.

I believe Ohio state is on the quarter system not the semester system. quarter system usually run from late September and the school year ends early June instead of the early September to mid April of semester schools.

this is correct.. the medical school actually starts in august... everyone else starts at the beginning of the fall qtr.. which is sept ~23. .. you will be required to attend a 2 week orientation beginning early sept..

I'm sorry if this was answered in another thread, I promise I'll go through and read the old threads sometime soon, but is it a better idea to stay with a current medpath student the night before the interview to get all the odds and ins, or just stay in a hotel? I'm wondering if the day of the interview gives you enough time with medpathers so that you can gain all the valuable info that you might need before the interview.

I knew that March 18th would be my lucky day. So just out of boredom I went and checked my status and there was the invite for Wed, April 27th :). I am a long time lurker and just wanted to give all those the heads up to go and check your status NOW !!!!
Good luck fellow future medical school colleagues :) We got this !!!!

I'm sorry if this was answered in another thread, I promise I'll go through and read the old threads sometime soon, but is it a better idea to stay with a current medpath student the night before the interview to get all the odds and ins, or just stay in a hotel? I'm wondering if the day of the interview gives you enough time with medpathers so that you can gain all the valuable info that you might need before the interview.

well personally .. i would stay in a hotel.. but thats just me..i like to have my own space.. i stayed here for a week the week of my interview.. and enjoyed the city..

as far as the ins/outs. just as the yr before us.. the medpathers are going to host a question and answer session.. the night before each interview date.. where you can get all the ins an outs and ask any questions and get lots of advice.. so unless you really want to stay with one.. and one is avail (the admissions office had trouble finding hosts my yr) or want to save money.. these are the only reasons i would recommend not staying in a hotel..

the interviewees will be receiving an email about Q&A night.. and typically its the night before the interview......... so those still buying tickets try to get here atleast the previous afternoon.. just fyi

Good news to those who have received invites!!! Does anyone know if all the invites went out?

So my interview is 4/25 the day after Easter Sunday. Will u have a Q&A on Easter Sunday? I think I will be staying with a medpather. Also... How is housing situated? I assume many students stay on university housing if it they are offering us a place to stay. How do they respond to off- campus requests during the medpath year?

I am unsure whether all the invites went out, but I applied very late. I did not get the complete notification until March 10. So I am just greatful to find out about the invite within 7-8 days.

So my interview is 4/25 the day after Easter Sunday. Will u have a Q&A on Easter Sunday? I think I will be staying with a medpather. Also... How is housing situated? I assume many students stay on university housing if it they are offering us a place to stay. How do they respond to off- campus requests during the medpath year?

sorry i actually am not sure when exactly the meetings will be held.. i would assume the day before.. as people dont usually come into town more than a day ahead of time.. i will def look into it and get back to you guys..

also.. none of the medpathers stay in housing associated with the university.. everyone stays in a private apartment. im sorry but i dont quite understand your question.. do you mean medpathers requesting to stay off campus? if thats what you mean... as a medpather you can stay wherever you want..

sorry i actually am not sure when exactly the meetings will be held.. i would assume the day before.. as people dont usually come into town more than a day ahead of time.. i will def look into it and get back to you guys..

also.. none of the medpathers stay in housing associated with the university.. everyone stays in a private apartment. im sorry but i dont quite understand your question.. do you mean medpathers requesting to stay off campus? if thats what you mean... as a medpather you can stay wherever you want..

Ok thanks u answered my question-sorry it wasn't so clear. I thought that because the Adcom was offering interviewees the chance 2 stay with current Medpathers for the interview that Medpathers had some sort of special housing arrangement during the medpath year.

umm.. just as a side note.. why are you guys so quiet?? lol we were like family last year..

LoL....I am trying to stay on...but i guess it's kind of hard when ur still waiting for that invite....regardless...I still feel like family...thanks for all your help IkeBoy18... to all of us on here...
I guess i have the same question as one before....do you know if all invites have been sent out already?

YAY, interview invite recieved 3/18 :) that was super fast since my application didn't get there until 3/15

so my question is.... there is only 1 interview for all applicants and that happens after the tour and info sessions about the program, correct? Who is conducting the interviews... is it the MEDPATH program staff, faculty, etc?

YAY, interview invite recieved 3/18 :) that was super fast since my application didn't get there until 3/15

so my question is.... there is only 1 interview for all applicants and that happens after the tour and info sessions about the program, correct? Who is conducting the interviews... is it the MEDPATH program staff, faculty, etc?

Yes, I'm a thread lurker as well...Did you receive a "status change" email?

Yes, I'm a thread lurker as well...Did you receive a "status change" email?

Yes, i got the status change email and then i confirmed the interview date of april 25th.

So since they have 2 interview dates I'm guessing there will be like 15 ppl per day or something like that? I'm I right? Or are there more than 2 possible interview dates?

the beginning of the day starts off with dr. capers and the director of admissions introducing themselves and going through a whole presentation about the school of medicine.. also talks from people about financial aid and other related issues..you will get a tour of the campus.. then you will have lunch with former medpathers..and directly after lunch .. interviews will be held..

dr. capers (asst dean of admissions) and dr. mcdougle (director of medpath) will definitely be interviewing.. also members of the admissions faculty and staff (not nec. associated with medpath itself.) that also interview for regular admissions will interview..

Last edited:
Yes, i got the status change email and then i confirmed the interview date of april 25th.

So since they have 2 interview dates I'm guessing there will be like 15 ppl per day or something like that? I'm I right? Or are there more than 2 possible interview dates?

only 2 interview dates.. and from what ive been told there could be up to 35 interviewees split across each day..

LoL....I am trying to stay on...but i guess it's kind of hard when ur still waiting for that invite....regardless...I still feel like family...thanks for all your help IkeBoy18... to all of us on here...
I guess i have the same question as one before....do you know if all invites have been sent out already?

no prob! and sorry you havent received an interview invite as of yet.. i actually have no clue abt the statuses of interview invites but given someone on the board said they just got one on the 18th i would keep hope alive! good luck!

Please forgive me for not searching through previous year's threads to find answers to these but I do have a few questions:

How many students do they generally interview? accept?
Of those participating in the MEDPATH year, how many matriculate to the med school the following year (percent, I guess)?
Do you need to resubmit an application to OSU-med for matriculation or is it automatic acceptance if you fulfill the requirements of MEDPATH?

Thanks, sorry again if this is repetitive.

Last edited:
I may not be able to answer all of your questions, but I do know that they interview anywhere from 30-35 people for about 15 spots and then some are alternates while others are rejected. I also know that last year 2 did not succesfully complete the program(based on the specific requirements that are necessary to gain the acceptance into the school) and did not make it in to the school. I do not know about the resubmiting of applications. Hope this helped!!

Please forgive me for not searching through previous year's threads to find answers to these but I do have a few questions:

How many students do they generally interview? accept?
Of those participating in the MEDPATH year, how many matriculate to the med school the following year (percent, I guess)?
Do you need to resubmit an application to OSU-med for matriculation or is it automatic acceptance if you fulfill the requirements of MEDPATH?

Thanks, sorry again if this is repetitive.

u do need to reactivate your amcas and apply to osu... they will help u thru this process. theres an ~88% matriculation rate.. from what i hear

I was told that decisions are sent out about a week after interviews; considering the program doesn't start until September, how long after acceptance do they give you to decide?

Also if you participate, are you allowed 2 apply to other med schools during the medpath year? Would you even be allowed to miss time for interviews?

I was told that decisions are sent out about a week after interviews; considering the program doesn't start until September, how long after acceptance do they give you to decide?

Also if you participate, are you allowed 2 apply to other med schools during the medpath year? Would you even be allowed to miss time for interviews?

the decisions took actually about a month.. they ended up having 2 deadlines that you had to accept by.. most likely there will be a deadline again a few weeks after the date at which all accepted students everywhere must select one school.. because after this date waitlists around the country start to move and this usually opens up medpath spots.. i cant remember when that date is.. but since youre applying this yr.. you probably know.. you can apply wherever you want.. you are pretty much an independent student here.. if you can work the interviews around your tests then by all means. go for it.. its up to you to contact your instructors should you miss anything important..

I wanted to know would the decisions go out before a month because the interview is so late in April. I believe that last year's interviews were held a couple of weeks before ours. I believe the date is May 15th this year.

I wanted to know would the decisions go out before a month because the interview is so late in April. I believe that last year's interviews were held a couple of weeks before ours. I believe the date is May 15th this year.

We interviewed on the 10th and 12th.. so maybe they will be quicker with you guys.. I wouldn't hold my breath..

Hey is anyone who is interviewing planning to stay with current Medpathers? I was trying to figure out if I should give up waiting and book a hotel.

@Current Medpathers, hope the MCAT went well!

Hey is anyone who is interviewing planning to stay with current Medpathers? I was trying to figure out if I should give up waiting and book a hotel.

@Current Medpathers, hope the MCAT went well!

the mcat was.. welll..it was the mcat..lol..who knows..but thank you!

and i actually havent heard anything about potentially hosting interviewees.. soo.. maybe they are asking females because i know how some people frown upon being hosted by the opposite sex. at any given rate.. those of you who are looking for a host.. pm me.. and i will get with some of my classmates..i can remember some of them being interesting.. i am open to hosting as well..

:). So I just got my interview for 4/25. Any tips about the interview and possible interview questions?

:). So I just got my interview for 4/25. Any tips about the interview and possible interview questions?

things have been really sketchy on the info night.. hopefully i will hear something tomorrow... in the meantime i will answer everyones questions here..

naijaman, its better if you had a specific question.. but generally just know what your weaknesses are and what you have/will do/ne to fix them.. make sure you have answers to all of the standard questions because they most likely will be asked.. ie. why medicine.. why medpath..etc.. theres actually a lot to say in general.. and i dont really have a lot of time at the moment.. if you have any specific questions.. feel free to ask..

I am in the same predicament as 1913babydoc with waiting for a host. They were not asking the current post-bacers to host because of the studying and stress related with the MCAT retake, but now that is over maybe they will ask you guys now Ikeboy. I do not mind staying with a male or female ( I am a female). I will give them until this week to see if I get a host.

Hello everyone!

I just joined SDN today, although I've been sifting through various threads for the last few months, lol! Anyway, I'm curious to know if there is any rhyme or reason to when interviews are assigned?? I've noticed that some people have been granted earlier interviews (04/25) at later dates. I received my interview invite in early March and I was offered 04/27. I'm just curious (and a little anxious)...

I am in the same predicament as 1913babydoc with waiting for a host. They were not asking the current post-bacers to host because of the studying and stress related with the MCAT retake, but now that is over maybe they will ask you guys now Ikeboy. I do not mind staying with a male or female ( I am a female). I will give them until this week to see if I get a host.

yeah i heard this today.. at any given rate.. i have talked to some classmates and there are many who are willing to host.. if you would like to get linked with one sooner just pm me..

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I just joined SDN today, although I've been sifting through various threads for the last few months, lol! Anyway, I'm curious to know if there is any rhyme or reason to when interviews are assigned?? I've noticed that some people have been granted earlier interviews (04/25) at later dates. I received my interview invite in early March and I was offered 04/27. I'm just curious (and a little anxious)...

welcome! and from my experience..there is no particular method or reason to assigning interview dates other than they like to interview about ~15 a day over the course of 2 days.. you dont have a better chance on one day than the other.. of course.. you get get a different interviewer on a different day from chance..and that could make or break you.. but in general ..one day is not significant from the other.. i actually was assigned the monday interview date last year and switched to wednesday.. i dont believe they pick half and half on each day. they actually vote.. and at the end the 15 with highest total get in..