Oh No.. Car Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Page 6

My next mode of transportation

fc375.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

The most recent thing I did to my car was have the front speakers, sub, and amp installed. My next project is 18" rims & low profile tires.

Members don't see this ad :)
I (finally) replaced my warped rotors, along with upgraded brake pads. But, I miscalculated. The pads I bought were apparently meant for those who autocross, etc. They bite exceptionally well, but they squeal like a pig. I sound like a city bus pulling up to stoplights.

Another lesson learned.

I used to have a GTO which I sold last year to buy an E320. I really regret selling my GTO but I got a really really good offer for it. I wish I hadn't.. loved it :D
This is a pic of it when it was brand new from the dealer. It was a beauty :love:

Attachments

• IMG_0277.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 71
I used to have a GTO which I sold last year to buy an E320. I really regret selling my GTO but I got a really really good offer for it. I wish I hadn't.. loved it :D
This is a pic of it when it was brand new from the dealer. It was a beauty :love:

Cyclone Gray Metallic - very classy color.

It am surprised you actually identified it correctly, not many people can :)

I pay attention to this sort of thing. :smuggrin: if I were smart I'd just look for a gently-used '06 when I graduate. It's depressing, if I'm very lucky the headers/tune MAY get me to the level of a stock LS2.

I pay attention to this sort of thing. :smuggrin: if I were smart I'd just look for a gently-used '06 when I graduate. It's depressing, if I'm very lucky the headers/tune MAY get me to the level of a stock LS2.

The LS2 is a real beast. It will be hard to find a "gently" used car. I bought that car working my butt off as a pharmacy intern. They are not that expensive now as people think. GTO's aren't as fancy as a Mustang or a Camaro, but there is something to be said when you put a 400 hp LS2 engine on a 5000 pound huge ass coupe. Its a really weird combo but it is the most fun I had driving a car. The Merc(my current daily beater) puts me to sleep when I drive it everyday :laugh:

I left the key in the ignition for a week and the battery died. 2nd time in 3 months damn it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on driving my 2010 Nissan Sentra until my college loan is paid off or my midlife crisis hits.

holy crap...there are other motorsport nerds in here?

anyways...I had a corolla in school

CopyofIMG_3503.jpg

lightup1.jpg

also this :)

IMG_4891.jpg

now that I graduated, I still have the bike, but replaced the corolla with this:

IMG_6708.jpg

the corolla had this in the truck: 15" eclipse alum in a ported box, RF 500A2, edesign nine4 powering components up front

here's my install:

first I emptied the trunk out:

IMG_2632.jpg

the amps were going on a 1/2" piece of mdf, so I first lined up the amps where I'd like them:

IMG_2633.jpg

I then cut out a 15"x35" piece and made holes for wires

IMG_2635.jpg

then came the carpeting

IMG_2637.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

IMG_2640.jpg

then I mounted the amps

IMG_2641.jpg

and routed the wires

IMG_2642.jpg

finished product:

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

To me a car is just something that gets you from point A to point B. But after seeing some of this thread I do feel I must be missing out on some fun.

To me a car is just something that gets you from point A to point B. But after seeing some of this thread I do feel I must be missing out on some fun.

I would advise against making cars your hobby. It is an expensive hobby to have :D

At the most basic level, a car is a tool that gets you between places faster (usually). But some of us like to make that tool more enjoyable by spending money on it.

I hope that BMW was not new when you bought it. Most people do not know the true cost to own a car, I cringe when I know how much people lost due to depreciation for 5 years on any new cars, at least half value of the car is gone. For BMW, that's like $30k lost, or about -$6k/year.

If you put $6k a year or $500/month in stocks for 30 year, you would have gotten $751,000. Would I choose to drive a new BMW every few years or $750,000 in 30 years? You bet I'll pick the later. Heck for $500/month, I'd eat out every day like a king...

I bought my dream car about a year ago. It was worth every penny.
And for those who will ask what it is, all I am going to say is....its red, and its fast.

And for those who will ask what it is, all I am going to say is....its red, and its fast.

sheen-fiat-300x200.jpg

Hot or cold?

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the informative post.

Excellent hints!!!!!!! :eyebrow:

You could've at least said it was German, or Italian, etc. 2-door, 4-door... first letter of the model name... things like that :cool:

I hope that BMW was not new when you bought it. Most people do not know the true cost to own a car, I cringe when I know how much people lost due to depreciation for 5 years on any new cars, at least half value of the car is gone. For BMW, that's like $30k lost, or about -$6k/year.

If you put $6k a year or $500/month in stocks for 30 year, you would have gotten $751,000. Would I choose to drive a new BMW every few years or $750,000 in 30 years? You bet I'll pick the later. Heck for $500/month, I'd eat out every day like a king...

no problem, I already did the research

1.) owning a car costs money, it sucks, but it's true. The only way I found to get out of it, is to drive a car w' ads all over it, but there's a long waiting list to get one.

2.) the biggest cost associated w' ownership is depreciation, followed by maintenance, followed by gas. everyone seems to put all their emphasis on gas, but that doesn't matter if you don't lose money on its purchase price.

ex. I bought an 18mpg toyota tacoma back in 2007 for $8k, and sold it in 2008 for $12k when the frames were prematuraly rusting out. I made $4k on the deal...did I care about gas mileage? no. I followed up with a 2001 corolla for $6.5k...I sold it or $3.1k 3 years later...yeah it got 30mpg, but I still lost over $3k in depreciation....not worth it!!

so how does this apply to the bmw?

per blogspot.carsabi.com...

website said:
If you're broke like us but still really like performance and leather interiors, consider getting a luxury car that's 5-6 years old. More luxury owners want newer models than older ones leading to a pretty steep depreciation for the first few years; the average new E320 loses about $12k per year no matter the mileage (112 datapoints). Compare this to the depreciation curve for a Camry: the car holds value like people *want* to drive it into the ground. Crazy! (1,523 datapoints).

a 5-6 year old BMW depreciates as much as a 5-6 year old camry. Out here in southern california, a 5-6 year old BMW and a 5-6 year old camry costs the same. I can then drive the BMW 3-4 years, and sell it for about the same amount as a same year camry.

So what did I do? I bought a 2006 BMW 325i in 2012...w' 60k miles. Not only that, but I bought it private party, and haggled the crap out of the girl. I got it for less than what a dealer would pay at an auction. So even if I drive it 3-4 years, I can likely sell it for just a couple thousand less than what I bought it for. Plus, it's SoCal...everyone here wants to fit in and drive a BMW, but can't afford it new...so used ones that still look newer (read: 2006 and newer) still sell for a pretty penny. And while maintenance/repairs are expensive, I found a certified BMW tech who does work on the side, and gets the parts discounted through work. I do oil changes, brakes, filters/headlight/wiper changes myself. I switched from $800+ run flats to $372 non-run flats and I carry a plug w' air compressor in the car and I have AAA roadside service.

so don't worry...I didn't lose my dollars or sense buying this car...and I still drive a BMW!

So, I sold my old '70 LeMans. Got about half of what I've spent on it over the years, but I guess it can't be helped...

The idea was that if I got off my ass and sold this heap, I would be in the clear to spend the money on something 'fun' for my GTO (in this case, headers and a tune). But damn if good headers aren't expensive. Good tuners, for that matter.

Plus I now have a friend convinced that I need to buy 1) a road bike, and 2) a dog.

Now I have no clue what to spend this money on.

IMG_2117_1024x768.jpg

Here's the car I've been building throughout the school year. Bought it completely stock at 140k, now it has 167k miles and counting. I've spent way too much money on it, but it's all about the experience right? :D

1997 Honda Civic EX

Built my 1.6 liter with new pistons and forged rods, new bearings, seals, oil pump, micropolished crank.
392811_2272800751411_1526236560_n.jpg

Stock head and valvetrain.
248158_3295751444539_295275690_n.jpg

Made 310whp/240ftlbs at 18psi on a Garrett T3/T04E 50 trim
546936_2921055757381_925963979_n.jpg

A few months of beating the piss out of it, I cracked #2 piston ringland pretty badly. The cylinder walls weren't affected.
550723_3169031116610_1034871737_n.jpg

Threw in a new set of pistons and rod bearings
540631_3192855312200_1173819157_n.jpg

As of today, a few months later, I think I cracked the #2 piston ringland again. Methinks the #2 injector is getting stuck and causing it to run lean in boost. I am now working full-time and probably won't have time to fix it until Thanksgiving break, so it's getting driven at 18psi daily with a cracked piston.

Still breaks loose the tires at 60mph and handles like a go-kart, so I'm driving it until something catastrophic happens and then swapping in a spare motor I plan to build on the side.

Oh and to give you an idea of how much I use my car...

312331_1978907604266_4413030_n.jpg

I also put 25k hard city miles on it in the past year, delivering sushi :D

this is sweet...I would've loved to own a car that looked like that

Oh and to give you an idea of how much I use my car...

312331_1978907604266_4413030_n.jpg

I also put 25k hard city miles on it in the past year, delivering sushi :D

ha, no prob...I actually had a welder fabricate a way for me to attach a rail to the back of a corolla and I carried 250lb dirt bikes 6" behind the rear bumper...the headlights pointed towards the sky and mechanics were confused why the rear struts were shot :laugh:

good stuff boys, keep it up...makes me want to start another project

I found a guy that did an interior/exterior detailing for $99. Groupon marked down from $179.

You never know how gross your car can get until you let it go for a few months. Look at my filthy ass:

35k1jqt.jpg

2uq27ic.jpg

otj11z.jpg

357g6t1.jpg

qrb66u.jpg

atvpcp.jpg

That looks good though. They had it for 8 hours ($99 bucks...lmao). I didn't get a picture of it, but you should have seen the trunk. Both a 12 pack of diet soda and a giant jug of windshield fluid exploded in there. Looked horrific bringing it in.....looks good now. Never had a car detailed before. After getting new tires and an alignment a few weeks ago, I feel like I'm driving a new car.

I'll have to go Groupon surfing for a car detailing deal next year, too.

When did you get this? That 90-something Taurus finally bite the dust after 400,000 miles?

About a year ago...and the stupid oil pump died at like 200,000 or something. It cost more to fix it than it was worth, so I got that beast. It's basically a Lincoln MKS with a Mercury badge. Same leather, heated seats, premium sound, engine, all that good ****. If you find a smoother driving car for the money, you lyin'. Friends tell me they feel like they are riding in a limo in my back seat. It makes potholes feel like pebbles.

I love it. It drives like a damned American sedan SHOULD. You stupid little kiddies with your Euro crap that hits a crack in the road and the "sport" suspension makes it feel like you drove over the Grand Canyon can suck my balls.

About a year ago...and the stupid oil pump died at like 200,000 or something. It cost more to fix it than it was worth, so I got that beast. It's basically a Lincoln MKS with a Mercury badge. Same leather, heated seats, premium sound, engine, all that good ****. If you find a smoother driving car for the money, you lyin'. Friends tell me they feel like they are riding in a limo in my back seat. It makes potholes feel like pebbles.

I love it. It drives like a damned American sedan SHOULD. You stupid little kiddies with your Euro crap that hits a crack in the road and the "sport" suspension makes it feel like you drove over the Grand Canyon can suck my balls.
Rode in my boss's '11 Taurus Limited a little while back. Great car, smooth as butter. Bit higher price tag since he got it new though. What'd you pay for this whip?

Last edited:
Rode in my boss's '11 Taurus Limited a little while back. Great car, smooth as butter. Bit higher price tag since he got it new though. What'd you pay for this whip?

You gotta be crazy to buy a Lincoln or high end Ford new. Within 3 years, it's lost over half its value. That Sable I got had an original MSRP of $32,000 or so. I bought it like 30 months old for $14,500...certified used with 100,000 miles warranty. They are the best used car deals on the road.

You gotta be crazy to buy a Lincoln or high end Ford new. Within 3 years, it's lost over half its value. That Sable I got had an original MSRP of $32,000 or so. I bought it like 30 months old for $14,500...certified used with 100,000 miles warranty. They are the best used car deals on the road.
Can't go wrong letting somebody else take the depreciation. Previous lease is the way to go. Still a new vehicle, and you know they didn't put too many miles on it, since leases don't let you. After I run my Focus into the ground I'm definitely going that route. Unless they bring the diesel Focus stateside; I might not be able to help myself.

Cool. I bought the legendary Porter Cable 7424 XP machine polisher to try some car detailing myself.

dsc04397a.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that looks like it was professionally done. Good job ...

well...you guys got me

I want to get back into riding dirt bikes, so I got a pickup to haul them in...

IMG_0193-1.jpg

2001 F150, runs on compressed natural gas ($1.92-$2.80/gallon!), carpool lane access in CA, 5.4l V8, 7700 package

well...you guys got me

I want to get back into riding dirt bikes, so I got a pickup to haul them in...

IMG_0193-1.jpg

2001 F150, runs on compressed natural gas ($1.92-$2.80/gallon!), carpool lane access in CA, 5.4l V8, 7700 package

Single cab... long bed?! Be still, my heart!

I actually got a new car this past weekend. 2012 Honda Civic EX coupe in dark grey. I like it a lot. Got it for ~$20k . I always thought in college I'd get that BMW or whatnot, but when you actually have to work for the money it never makes sense, at least in my mind. Much better driving around than my old college beater.

I actually got a new car this past weekend. 2012 Honda Civic EX coupe in dark grey. I like it a lot. Got it for ~$20k . I always thought in college I'd get that BMW or whatnot, but when you actually have to work for the money it never makes sense, at least in my mind. Much better driving around than my old college beater.

Could have hypothetically gotten a 2010 BMW for that price.

But eff that, Euro luxury sedans are for insecure douchebags that need to wear the facade of prestige on their sleeves.

But eff that, Euro luxury sedans are for insecure douchebags that need to wear the facade of prestige on their sleeves.

Aren't all luxury cars :rolleyes:

Muse

How did you get a truck that runs on compressed natural gas? Did you do the conversion yourself or did you buy it that way?

Also what kind of gas tank do you have? I've heard of people doing a conversion and it taking up the whole trunk/truck bed.

Just curious. 1.92 a gallon sounds too good to be true for somebody with my commute. Plus I like the idea of using a locally produced fuel.

Edmunds.com quotes me ~$28K for a 2010 BMW 328i with 36000 miles. So its still more pricey. Meh, maybe one day, but then again I don't really want to be an insecure douchebag and have other insecure douchbags key my car.

And I think Lincoln makes nice cars actually. You are right though that they lose lots of value quickly.