Oh No.. Car Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Muse

How did you get a truck that runs on compressed natural gas? Did you do the conversion yourself or did you buy it that way?

Also what kind of gas tank do you have? I've heard of people doing a conversion and it taking up the whole trunk/truck bed.

Just curious. 1.92 a gallon sounds too good to be true for somebody with my commute. Plus I like the idea of using a locally produced fuel.

no conversion necessary, it came CNG from the factory. out here in CA, they're commonly used as city or municpal vehicles, so that's how this one started out. The previous owner cleaned out the inside, lifted it, and added the tires

this one has 3 CNG tanks; most F150's only have 2 (and get ~180 miles), but this has an auxiliary tank underneath, so you can get ~270 miles (previous owner said 275-300). The tanks are pretty big, but luckily one is underneath the bed, and since this is a long bed truck, it only takes up a little part of the front of the cab, and leaves a lot left to use it as a truck.

if you really want to kill on the cost of gas, and you own a home, buy a compressor and refill your tanks overnight from home...one of the installers I talked to fills his car up at $0.63/gallon. The only problem is, home compressor pumps typically take longer to fill, so when you come home at night, you have to plug your car in and let it fill overnight

btw - to all others - checkout the link I posted earlier; if you want to own a BMW and not hemorrhage your money, buy one that's 5-6 years old. Let someone else pay for the depreciation. Heck, a 5-6 year old 3-series costs the same as a 5-6 year old camry; and after that they depreciate at the same rate (carsabi has 120+ data points to confirm this)

if your goal, however, is to save money on a car, the most important part - is to get a good deal. The biggest way to lose money on a car is depreciation. Who cares if you bought a brand new ford for $22k...if it's only worth $8k in 6 years, you were better off getting a 5 year old BMW and driving that for 4 years and only losing $4k in depreciation. The exception to that rule are excessive maintenance costs and gas (in that order).

Members don't see this ad.

Here where I live (out in the boonies) only the state government fleet use natural gas and there are no stations. Id have to go with a home compressor which is about 4k and do a conversion for around 1700. I wish we had the opportunity to buy them from the factory.

I'm really sold on natural gas. Burns cleaner so no sludge buildup in your engine and rated at 115 octane. You can also put around 30k miles between oil changes so the maintenance is much cheaper. Also its a domestically produced energy so it puts Americans to work.

Honestly it makes a lot of sense right now for automakers to move in that direction but it will never happen without government intervention. The oil companies are too powerful.

Over 12 years later...about to retire the 'stang. :(

Just ordered a new 2013 AWD Ford Edge! :biglove: Having one put together with the specs I was looking for (MyFordTouch, leather, rear cam, pano roof, power liftgate, voice nav)...so I'll post some pics in 6-8 weeks when she arrives!

Members don't see this ad :)

Just ordered a new 2013 AWD Ford Edge! :biglove: Having one put together with the specs I was looking for (MyFordTouch, leather, rear cam, pano roof, power liftgate, voice nav)...so I'll post some pics in 6-8 weeks when she arrives!

I got a new Nissan Murano Platinum...it's beautiful. Dual sunroofs, nav, leather, backup cam. I named it Black Betty....I turn up some Ram Jam when I hit I 40 everyday.

No children. Still buy soccer mom crossover SUV. It's a common theme I'm noticing among my peers, not just y'all. Girl I work with just got an Acura RDX. I don't quite understand it...but, hey, whatever. Your purchases of brand new cars will help the economy.

If I had the same money and had to spend it on a new car...I'd go 2012 Chrysler 300 Limited.

I'd be just like Heisenberg.
breaking-bad-heisenberg-drawing.jpg

I notice the same thing girls with no kids in their 30s buying SUV.. WTF... thinking 10 years ahead? A "just in case I have a child later" situation? or I gotta feel "protected" >_>; idk, enlighten me...

I notice the same thing girls with no kids in their 30s buying SUV.. WTF... thinking 10 years ahead? A "just in case I have a child later" situation? or I gotta feel "protected" >_>; idk, enlighten me...

I want one just because I wanna sit up high and see everything. I'm tired of driving behind SUVs and not being able to see what's ahead.

No children. Still buy soccer mom crossover SUV. It's a common theme I'm noticing among my peers, not just y'all. Girl I work with just got an Acura RDX. I don't quite understand it...but, hey, whatever. Your purchases of brand new cars will help the economy.

If I had the same money and had to spend it on a new car...I'd go 2012 Chrysler 300 Limited.

I'd be just like Heisenberg.
breaking-bad-heisenberg-drawing.jpg

Talk about double standard now. It's ok for a guy to buy a certain type of car, but not a woman.

Actually, no...my decision had nothing to do with kids. 3" of snow, and I'm catching a ride to work. I built a home 2 years ago and can say it gets frustrating when you're limited to what you can haul back in a sports car. Bought a miter saw few weeks ago; didn't fit. Bought a bar and stools, no go and had to rent a truck for the day. 11 foot chair railing, driving down with it coming out the end of the open trunk.

But what the hell, I'm a woman, so I shouldn't be doing those things anyways....

Sheese?!?!? Whats wrong with you all? When you are 40 and have three kids you need a practical car. Here is what I drive. Yes, 2 car seats and three kids fit in the back seat. Whose the coolest Dad dropping the kids off at Daycare...that would be me!

100_1319.jpg

I would not have guessed you were a Ford girl!

I am with you on the limitations of a small vehicle. I badly miss having a truck. I sucks to have to rent one everytime I need to haul something. Oh well....life in the city!

Sheese?!?!? Whats wrong with you all? When you are 40 and have three kids you need a practical car. Here is what I drive. Yes, 2 car seats and three kids fit in the back seat. Whose the coolest Dad dropping the kids off at Daycare...that would be me!

Your kids must be a little older... at least old enough to sit in forward facing car seats. I can't imagine how you'd strap a baby/young toddler in a rear facing seat in that car. In November we'll be dealing with two rear facing seats... and the need for a double stroller. YIKES!

Talk about double standard now. It's ok for a guy to buy a certain type of car, but not a woman.

I'm pretty sure that if a man bought a Ford Edge, he'd be laughed at. No, its fine for a woman to buy whatever she wants. The key here is more "no children" rather than "has va-jay-jay". Nobody uses crossovers for "manly pursuits." They are station wagons a few more inches off the ground.

Actually, no...my decision had nothing to do with kids. 3" of snow, and I'm catching a ride to work. I built a home 2 years ago and can say it gets frustrating when you're limited to what you can haul back in a sports car. Bought a miter saw few weeks ago; didn't fit. Bought a bar and stools, no go and had to rent a truck for the day. 11 foot chair railing, driving down with it coming out the end of the open trunk.

But what the hell, I'm a woman, so I shouldn't be doing those things anyways....

Awww, you think its a truck. That's so cute.

If that's you plan of use, then you should have gotten a pickup truck. Then you could have gotten a Lincoln LT.

lincoln_mark_lt_2006-thumb.jpg

The most pimpin' pickup...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that if a man bought a Ford Edge, he'd be laughed at. No, its fine for a woman to buy whatever she wants. The key here is more "no children" rather than "has va-jay-jay". Nobody uses crossovers for "manly pursuits." They are station wagons a few more inches off the ground.

Awww, you think its a truck. That's so cute.

If that's you plan of use, then you should have gotten a pickup truck. Then you could have gotten a Lincoln LT.

When did I say I think it's a truck? It would comfortably fit everything I listed....with the comfort of a car.

Members don't see this ad :)

lincoln_mark_lt_2006-thumb.jpg

Enjoy your 10 mpg.

Personally, I'd get an AWD station wagon and call it day.

Something like this.

rs4_avant.jpg

If, you know, Audi actually planned to bring it to the States. Because 'Murricans don't buy station wagons, much less AWD, 450hp station wagons.

Enjoy your 10 mpg.

Personally, I'd get an AWD station wagon and call it day.

Something like this.

rs4_avant.jpg

If, you know, Audi actually planned to bring it to the States. Because 'Murricans don't buy station wagons, much less AWD, 450hp station wagons.

I have a Volvo xc70 and I'd give my left thing for an Audi all-road.

Crossover SUVs *ARE* station wagons. Nobody seems to want to accept this.

I'd argue that the Ford Flex is station wagony...and it has a twin turbo option.

Here is my car: I bought two of them back in 2005 when I got married.

suzuki-forenza-7.jpg

Yea.....

I've always thought the Flex was kinda cool. And now that I look at them closely... AWD + 365hp Ecoboost V6? :banana:

Of course, when you option one out it's almost $50k...

lmao...a 365hp twin turbo that looks like this:
1-2013-Ford-Flex-lead.jpg

If I wanted a car like that, it'd be at the top of my list. You can get them with freaking refrigerators. REFRIGERATORS.

Here is my car: I bought two of them back in 2005 when I got married.

suzuki-forenza-7.jpg

Yea.....

Nothing wrong with reliable and modest.

Other than that its a foreign car...which is lame...

I drive a Mercury Sable. Granted, its a pimped out, every option, cushiest leather seats in the universe Mercury Sable...but its not like people go "Wow, that car is hawt!"

But **** it, I'm comfortable. It's the sweat pants of cars.

When did I say I think it's a truck? It would comfortably fit everything I listed....with the comfort of a car.

Either way, I congratulate you on buying a real American car. :thumbup:

It's built in Toronto, but as I've explain a million times, America and Canada are pretty much the same country, so its all good.

Nothing wrong with reliable and modest.

Other than that its a foreign car...which is lame...

I drive a Mercury Sable. Granted, its a pimped out, every option, cushiest leather seats in the universe Mercury Sable...but its not like people go "Wow, that car is hawt!"

But **** it, I'm comfortable. It's the sweat pants of cars.

Foreign cars lame? I would say the opposite - American cars are lame. And majority of American public agrees with me.

My Civic is still awaiting a new piston...I've been driving my dad's new 2012 Tacoma DCLB.

Less than 1,000 miles and someone already keyed it. Can't have nice things in Morgantown...:thumbdown:

lmao...a 365hp twin turbo that looks like this:
1-2013-Ford-Flex-lead.jpg

If I wanted a car like that, it'd be at the top of my list. You can get them with freaking refrigerators. REFRIGERATORS.
These things are freaking tanks. My boss got one for his wife since she was commuting out to the boonies and he wanted to make sure she wouldn't get stuck in a snowbank. It's also a good choice in case of an angry mob, Taliban, zombies, etc. Really a monster on the road. Kind of gives you that professional football player thought: how can something so big be so fast?

100_1319.jpg

M sports car is much cooler than yours and it has 4 seats too

I've driven two "station wagon-like" cars, but it's mainly because I like having the storage room for carrying crap from Point A to Point B. When I was in the Navy, I moved all of my stuff on my own a few times, borrowing a friend's truck for the furniture and other stuff that wouldn't fit.

I did have a Z car for a while. I miss it. Badly. :(

Your kids must be a little older... at least old enough to sit in forward facing car seats. I can't imagine how you'd strap a baby/young toddler in a rear facing seat in that car. In November we'll be dealing with two rear facing seats... and the need for a double stroller. YIKES!

Do not get the inline double stroller. Totally sucks. The side by side are by far the best. Trust me, I have been pushing one around for the better part of 4 years.

Did I mention the double stroller also fits in the trunk.

A very practical family car!

Do not get the inline double stroller. Totally sucks. The side by side are by far the best. Trust me, I have been pushing one around for the better part of 4 years.

Did I mention the double stroller also fits in the trunk.

A very practical family car!

Can a newborn ride in the side by side?

I want this one b/c it works with my carseat:

chicco_00079043430070.jpg

We had something like this for a while...it worked for a while but the kids outgrew it in 8 months...it does take up a huge amt of space in the car!

Double strollers are good until you try to fit them into a small isle in a store, or decide to move to Europe with all the narrow streets and sidewalks!

I feel like I had a hand in this one...when did you test/rent one of those? Oh wait...nevermind :)

We had something like this for a while...it worked for a while but the kids outgrew it in 8 months...it does take up a huge amt of space in the car!

Double strollers are good until you try to fit them into a small isle in a store, or decide to move to Europe with all the narrow streets and sidewalks!

This is allegedly the only double stroller that fits kids all the way up to toddlerhood. I can't remember the weight limits, but it fits Henry fine and he is 15 months/25 lb. We tested it in the store. Have a big car (minivan) so not worried about that. Still not sure about the cost though.

So, I took the spoiler off my car yesterday. Considering the Monaro wasn't designed to have a spoiler in the first place, I think the look is more clean and elegant, especially with a nice set of wheels. With the LeMans sold, I'm going to look for a reputable body shop to patch the holes and repaint the trunk lid. The ultimate goal is something like this:

4gsidenew.jpg

Damn... I shouldn't be seeing things like this when I'm a broke-ass student... :(

I have the money to buy a new car, I would not do it again in my lifetime. Been there, done that. It's cool the first 6 months to a year. I clayed and waxed my car like a baby myself every 4 months with a sealant. Then, **** hits you on the face. Every month there is a new car door dings other people made and I get pissed off for every new dings. Now, I don't give a **** anymore, I park whenever I want... Ding other people cars whenever I feel like it (i.e this brand new shiny car park in front of store!) My car is almost 5 years old with 0 problem whatsoever and drive like brand new. Why would I want to buy new when I can buy a lot of 5 year old cars out there with absolutely 0 problem and save huge money?

New car $25,000. If you keep the car for 10 years, conservative estimate car is going to be around $4000 after 10 years. $21,000/10 years, you are losing at least $2100/year as long as you have the car :thumbdown: and at least double for the first 3 years.

If you are buying a good car worth $8000 car over ten years, it's probably worth $2500. $8000-2500 = 5500/10 year - Losing $550/year compare to $2100/year only sounds like a winner for me.

Car expense there you go, cold hard truth. Confession of a previously fu*ked new car buyer... Next car purchase is going to be at least in 2028 for me, and will never buy new again. Driving this one until it becomes a beater :-D

I have the money to buy a new car, I would not do it again in my lifetime. Been there, done that. It's cool the first 6 months to a year. I clayed and waxed my car like a baby myself every 4 months with a sealant. Then, **** hits you on the face. Every month there is a new car door dings other people made and I get pissed off for every new dings. Now, I don't give a **** anymore, I park whenever I want... Ding other people cars whenever I feel like it (i.e this brand new shiny car park in front of store!) My car is almost 5 years old with 0 problem whatsoever and drive like brand new. Why would I want to buy new when I can buy a lot of 5 year old cars out there with absolutely 0 problem and save huge money?

New car $25,000. If you keep the car for 10 years, conservative estimate car is going to be around $4000 after 10 years. $21,000/10 years, you are losing at least $2100/year as long as you have the car :thumbdown: and at least double for the first 3 years.

If you are buying a good car worth $8000 car over ten years, it's probably worth $2500. $8000-2500 = 5500/10 year - Losing $550/year compare to $2100/year only sounds like a winner for me.

Car expense there you go, cold hard truth. Confession of a previously fu*ked new car buyer... Next car purchase is going to be at least in 2028 for me, and will never buy new again. Driving this one until it becomes a beater :-D

2-3 years old is the sweet spot. That's when I snatch them up.

2-3 years old is the sweet spot. That's when I snatch them up.

Agree with this. 2 to 3 years is still new enough that the car really looks good. After 5 years or so, they are starting to look old and janky. I don't mind driving an older car if it's paid off, but I don't want to buy one that looks old to begin with.

Hey Momus, do you spend your money on anything?? Because I know you have lots of money. I just don't see the point of working so hard to earn money if you never spend it or enjoy it.

Hey Momus, do you spend your money on anything?? Because I know you have lots of money. I just don't see the point of working so hard to earn money if you never spend it or enjoy it.

I think he's trying to save up enough money to get his net worth high enough for SHC to marry him...

Very bad. Pain in the ass to haul around....when the kids get old enough they fight over who get to sit in the front...the loser then sits in the back and kicks and pulls the hair of the one in front. Side by side is the best.

gas tipped $4/gallon in CA...the F-150 still costs $1.93/gallon to fill up!

This is so variable from car to car and person to person, you can't possibly make the blanket statement that buying a new car is always bad.

There are some big things to consider when comparing cars on value:

MPG:
MPG ratings on cars have increased by quite a bit recently, so you much be sure to compare that the new car you are looking at gets the same MPG as the used comparison car to make this a fair comparison.

USED VS NEW OUTRIGHT COST:
Additionally, used cars have increased in value a ton since Cash for Clunkers -- I've looked at some cars that are selling for more used than new right now (which makes no sense!).

INSURANCE RATES:
Also, if you are comparing an older car to a newer car, the safety differences may mean that the new car gets lower insurance rates than you would have expected, making it nearly as good a deal on this front as the used car.

CARS THAT HOLD VALUE:
I sold my low-end model ten year old car for $7,000. Not all cars will hold their value that well; it's good to look for one that will.

FINANCING:
Can you pay cash? If you can, your cost of a new car will be much less than if you finance, assuming you wouldn't get much return elsewhere (unless you own stock in Apple with that money...haha).

HOW LONG WILL YOU USE THE CAR?
Drive any car at least ten years and you'll significantly decrease your costs of ownership...

REPAIR COSTS/WARRANTIES:
Most new cars come with a warranty of sorts for a few years. You can get killed on repair costs if you buy the wrong car. While new cars (usually) cost more, they cost more for a reason, and the reason is mostly because they are new and need fewer repairs for the first few years.

BARGAINING:
You might be able to bargain down a greater percentage on a new car than a used car. Do this! It will majorly decrease your cost of ownership! Look for groups that will give you discounts on new cars: sometimes there are deals offered through your work. Or just walk into a dealership, tell them you want to buy a car and tell them the price you want to pay. If they balk, walk away. If they don't balk, pay cash, unless they give you 0% interest for some great length of time and you could pay cash anyway.

MILES DRIVEN/TYPE OF DRIVING:
How many miles do you drive every year, and in what conditions? This will influence your gas costs, insurance costs, repair costs, future worth of your vehicle, and most other costs associated with driving. If you barely drive, an old car that gets poor mileage might be a fine choice. If you drive a lot, your variable costs will go up a lot with this kind of a vehicle, and you might be best served with a newer vehicle.

Last edited:
My daily driver....floater pharmacist covering a 100 mile area in the Midwest

2077501_21723987_640.jpg

2077501_21723987_640.jpg

.....and my for fun car on the weekends!

268697_867632187146_930610317_n.jpg

przespoe

265 lil japanese hamsters of fury... Actually its probably got a few more hamsters since then. Reliable, practical, and fun as **** to drive
ad1f53c4.jpg

WRX is an amazing performance deal, and incredibly practical....unfortunate that the mileage is so bad for a 4-cyl., but I guess with true awd it's to be expected.

WRX is an amazing performance deal, and incredibly practical....unfortunate that the mileage is so bad for a 4-cyl., but I guess with true awd it's to be expected.

25 mpg? I might do better when I change the oil for the first time.

I just bought a 03 Honda XR100R dirt bike...going to spoon some scooter street tires on it and make it a mini supermoto for track days!