***Official UNECOM Class of 2009!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jonb12997 said:
Any of your 09's get your postcards from us yet?

I got mine yesterday and that was really nice of you guys!! can't wait to start...also, whats diringo?

Members don't see this ad.

jonb12997 said:
We both got our postcards yesterday. Thanks a lot! Looking forward to meeting everyone at orientation!!
kelaskov + bigpinesman

yep :)

muchos gracias!

jonb12997 said:

Members don't see this ad :)
babyjordan429 said:
I got mine yesterday and that was really nice of you guys!! can't wait to start...also, whats diringo?

Dirigo is maine state health insurance. its also latin for "I lead" and is maine's state saying....i'm a nerd. state o' mainer's represent!!!

Available Mid-July

One half of a duplex. Three bedrooms, study/nursery, family room, dinning room, large bathroom, laundry room with clothes washer and dryer provided, small deck, large yard, off street parking, Quiet neighborhood within 10 min of UNE. Pets may be allowed. $1000 per month includes hat and cold water, and heat. First, security and references needed. Please call David Ruxton at (207)590-5423 and leave message with name, number, and best time to return your call. Congrats and best of luck!!

So, I will be finishing up my job in the next few weeks and am taking some time off before school. The director of my lab (who knows me and my work ethic fairly well) is a world renowned scientist in cardiac electrophysiology (Anyone read Zipes/Jalife book?). I say all this because I was wondering if I should ask him to write me a letter of rec. Would I be able to use such a thing when applying for residency, etc?
I would like to ask before I leave so that in 3 years I can email and say hey remember me...
Will it help, or is it not worth it? :thumbup: or :thumbdown:

Thanks in advance!

docmz said:
So, I will be finishing up my job in the next few weeks and am taking some time off before school. The director of my lab (who knows me and my work ethic fairly well) is a world renowned scientist in cardiac electrophysiology (Anyone read Zipes/Jalife book?). I say all this because I was wondering if I should ask him to write me a letter of rec. Would I be able to use such a thing when applying for residency, etc?
I would like to ask before I leave so that in 3 years I can email and say hey remember me...
Will it help, or is it not worth it? :thumbup: or :thumbdown:

Thanks in advance!

Hi Docmz, (I actually forgot your first name.. sooooo sorry)

J.Jalife is really well known in the field and of course you should keep in touch with him and the lab. (He also works with Montreal researchers) Maybe even consider going back every summer and doing research with him. Get name on articles.

3 years down the road, when it is time to apply for residency, especially if you plan to go into IM and then Cardiology (Like I plan to do). Or if you plan to go back to Suny, his reference could be a biggy.

I still keep in touch with profs from my Masters degree, 4 years later. They are always very helpful with LOR etc.. You don't need one now.

Message me if you need more info or have more question.
BA

you forgot my name!!!

haha...michelle (my bell like the song)...now you won't forget :)

thanks for the info! ok, i will ask before i leave and and plan to try and get back here next summer to do research if it is possible. i am very lucky to have worked in such a productive lab..not to mention i have learned a TON in this past year!

thanks again...:)

docbill said:
Hi Docmz, (I actually forgot your first name.. sooooo sorry)

J.Jalife is really well known in the field and of course you should keep in touch with him and the lab. (He also works with Montreal researchers) Maybe even consider going back every summer and doing research with him. Get name on articles.

3 years down the road, when it is time to apply for residency, especially if you plan to go into IM and then Cardiology (Like I plan to do). Or if you plan to go back to Suny, his reference could be a biggy.

I still keep in touch with profs from my Masters degree, 4 years later. They are always very helpful with LOR etc.. You don't need one now.

Message me if you need more info or have more question.
BA

Hi MICHELLE, :smuggrin:

I thought it was something like that but I was not 100% sure. I won't forget any more. I swear.

BTW... if you are interested in continuing some research at UNE while you are there (prob not first semester). You can do that. Contact Amy at UNECOM, she does Cardiac and Diabetes research. She is very nice.

Of course there is always the possibility to do DO/PhD at UNE. I believe they are just working out the details for this program. But I am guessing they will have that finalized soon.

Then again, do you really want to take on so much stuff durring the school year... prob not. Maybe summer.

bAir

docmz said:
you forgot my name!!!

haha...michelle (my bell like the song)...now you won't forget :)

thanks for the info! ok, i will ask before i leave and and plan to try and get back here next summer to do research if it is possible. i am very lucky to have worked in such a productive lab..not to mention i have learned a TON in this past year!

thanks again...:)

Hey there '09ers! For those of you still in search of housing, PLEASE read on!

I am a soon-to-be MSII, currently living with a soon-to-be MSIII heading to Rhode Island for rotations. I absolutely LOVE my apartment, but need a roomie! I live in the Island Terrace Condominiums on Saco Island. It's a two floor, two bedroom, one and a half bath condo overlooking the Saco River. It's about an 8 minute drive to campus. Coin-op laundry facilities are in the building, and it's off street parking. Rent is $437.50/month for each of us ($875.00/month total) and includes water. And the landlady is super nice! It's a very safe and beautiful place; I'd hate to have to move! So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if you're still hunting for housing and interested, contact me at [email protected].

Enjoy the rest of your summer! We look forward to meeting all of you!

Jill :luck:

jeez,

i miss maine so much

can't wait to move back there when i'm i'm done tending to the human leeching field that is the mid-atlantic

Hi all ~ i don't have anything fun to say today, but wanted to know if everyone is still waiting on their Stafford Lender/loan approval?! I emailed fin aid a while ago, and they said they would be processed last month. Anyone have any info about it? I had today off and i'm trying to get things organized :) its lots of fun!
thanks...hope everyone's having a good week :luck:

irishlaydi said:
Hi all ~ i don't have anything fun to say today, but wanted to know if everyone is still waiting on their Stafford Lender/loan approval?! I emailed fin aid a while ago, and they said they would be processed last month. Anyone have any info about it? I had today off and i'm trying to get things organized :) its lots of fun!
thanks...hope everyone's having a good week :luck:

Log on to U-Online (from Pipeline, and under the school services tab I believe). Either under accounts or financial aid it should be posted what you've been approved to receive... :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
DocSchaefer28 said:
Log on to U-Online (from Pipeline, and under the school services tab I believe). Either under accounts or financial aid it should be posted what you've been approved to receive... :luck:

Thanks! in U-online it says the appropriate amounts for stafford (ie. what my award letter said), but my lender T.H.E. has no record of an application, and I haven't signed an MPN or anything like that. WHen I emailed finaid they said everything would be processed last month, so i thought I should have heard something by now. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else is in the same position?
Thanks again :D

hi again, just wanted to know what bank most students use? Is there anything good that's close to school?

I also chose THE but I filled out my MPNs on the THE website. I believe you are supposed to sign up with your lender first and they contact UNE. The process was confusing because I thought THE would already have my information, they didn't.

brody17 said:
I also chose THE but I filled out my MPNs on the THE website. I believe you are supposed to sign up with your lender first and they contact UNE. The process was confusing because I thought THE would already have my information, they didn't.

hi and thanks! so, did you fill out an application or just the MPN on the lender's website (T.H.E)? thanks :D

irishlaydi said:
hi again, just wanted to know what bank most students use? Is there anything good that's close to school?

Peoples is close... and UNE has an ATM right on campus :)

I'm a bit confused. The MPN should be the same as the application. THE sent me the applications for both private and stafford but I ended up filling them out online. It is much easier.

i'm confused too :D the only form I filled out was the one we sent back to UNECOM where we chose our lender. Then I didn't hear anything, so I emailed finaid for UNECOM and someone there said they were finalizing the stafford stuff for everyone. She said the only other thing we had to do was wait for T.H.E. to send a MPN for us to fill out. I never completed an application/MPN and was never requested to do so.
wonder if maybe i need to do that?! :) :confused:
thanks for responding, I really appreciate it. I think I should just call them...but thought I would check here first.

brody17 said:
I'm a bit confused. The MPN should be the same as the application. THE sent me the applications for both private and stafford but I ended up filling them out online. It is much easier.

irishlaydi said:
i'm confused too :D the only form I filled out was the one we sent back to UNECOM where we chose our lender. Then I didn't hear anything, so I emailed finaid for UNECOM and someone there said they were finalizing the stafford stuff for everyone. She said the only other thing we had to do was wait for T.H.E. to send a MPN for us to fill out. I never completed an application/MPN and was never requested to do so.
wonder if maybe i need to do that?! :) :confused:
thanks for responding, I really appreciate it. I think I should just call them...but thought I would check here first.

I completely botched the process last year myself...I thought that the lender I chose for my stafford was automatically the same as my private lender, and by signing one application/MPN everything was set. However, the stafford and private are separate (OBVIOUSLY, but completely unbeknownst to me) and you need to keep on top of both. I would suggest calling THE if they're the ones you're waiting to hear from...

Also, Peoples bank is the one with an ATM on campus...the other popular one is Bank of America (who are also trying to associate with UNE but have not as yet...)

And lastly, if any of you hear of any incoming MSI's looking for housing and a roomate, PLEASE send them my way, I am desparately searching!

Good Luck with all your last minute stuff!

irishlaydi said:
Thanks! in U-online it says the appropriate amounts for stafford (ie. what my award letter said), but my lender T.H.E. has no record of an application, and I haven't signed an MPN or anything like that. WHen I emailed finaid they said everything would be processed last month, so i thought I should have heard something by now. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else is in the same position?
Thanks again :D

I am in the same boat!! I signed my MPN for my private loan. That's all taken cared of. Now, w/ my stafford loans, I checked THE for my lender on the supplemental app UNECOM provided but nothing else. It said on that app that the MPN would be sent to us and then we send it to our lender?? But it makes more sense to sign up w/ THE who will provide an MPN to us...then the school will be notified. :confused:

I'm just gonna sign up w/ THE for my stafford. I hope that's right.

Hey guys,

I just called the UNE financial aid office to double check. This is driving me nuts...The master promissory notes will be sent later...like in the beginning of July. I asked about applying online and she said we didn't need to do that.

UNE is now working w/ THE. hope this helps!

hihi

so let me see if i have this correct. if our private lender loan is taken care of (application, approval and now states when it will be distributed), and the only other loans i have are stafford sub/unsub, then i am only waiting for UNE to send out MPN to sign. right? just want to make sure. also, thought i might ask, is anyone else (MSI) living at 76 High St.??? just wondering. i'm having a hard time getting ahold of the landlord so i can tell him the date i will be moving in.

Oh well, it looks like I may have screwed up also. I signed an MPN for each loan (stafford and private) through the THE online site. I spoke with a representative from THE and she recommended I complete the application. It seems it can be done either way. If you sign up first with THE, then they contact UNE with your information to verify. If you wait for UNE to contact THE, then they will probably already have your info when you go to sign up with THE. Does that sound right?

i think i'm really confused :(

I would suggest to just call THE. They have worked with UNE before so they should steer you in the right direction. As I said, I filled out my application with THE after I chose them as a lender on the UNE supplemental finaid. When I filled out my application, THE did not have my info from UNE yet.

reading thru your questions is funny because we all were
writing the SAME things this time last year. the thing is,
that i can't remember the answers to the questions to
give you guys advice on what to do...maybe somebody
could type up a little note on the whole loan process for
the class of 2010???

trust me, before you know it you're gonna be right where
i am and you're not going to remember a thing about what
you're doing right now! yikes!

To make things a little more confusing.. ;) I called THE just to get the scoop. I had the rep explain to me the entire procedure. They're really nice. Well the procedure is that UNECOM works w/THE and sends the master promissory notes to its students. According to UNE, they'll send it to us in July

I want to get things done now so I don't have things hanging over my head. The rep advised me to apply online to make things faster. It's just the same thing anyway...whether we receive the master promissory note from UNECOM or obtain it from them. They'll directly contact UNE and it'll be approved faster...

hope this helps :)

Did anyone borrow from MELA- maine education loan authority? i know nothing about THE. i applied for MELA the day i received my fin aid packet and they sent me a MPN soon after. They have been pretty easy to work with thus far.

Hi all. really appreciate everyone giving their input/experiences. I ended up emailing fin aid again, and she said
"Our office will begin certifying these loans in the next few weeks.
Once we send the information to your lender (THE), they will contact you
to complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN)."

So, I checked T.H.E. account the next day and everything was there, and the app. was pending. So anybody who is still waiting, maybe it has gone thru now. :)

UNE2009LMD said:
To make things a little more confusing.. ;) I called THE just to get the scoop. I had the rep explain to me the entire procedure. They're really nice. Well the procedure is that UNECOM works w/THE and sends the master promissory notes to its students. According to UNE, they'll send it to us in July

I want to get things done now so I don't have things hanging over my head. The rep advised me to apply online to make things faster. It's just the same thing anyway...whether we receive the master promissory note from UNECOM or obtain it from them. They'll directly contact UNE and it'll be approved faster...

hope this helps :)

I was planning on applying to UNE for admission to the Fall of 2007 starting class. I am from Oklahoma City. I am currently working on a masters degree from O.U. in music. I am not going to finish the masters due to the fact that my primary teacher is leaving, but I am going to finish my med school pre-req's. I am up to about 118k in my stafford loans. I have no alternative loans/perkins etc. . . just stafford. I was wondering if the financial aid is good at UNE? I love what I have seen of the school, but with me being so close to my aggregate limit of stafford loans I am worried about having enough money. I know I will have the option of taking out perkins, about 60-70k more in stafford, that loan for people studying med in Maine and the primary care loan. My credit score is about a 650, so not great in the least, so I am not sure I could get alternative loans. So, that is my main concern, what do you think? Also, just in general, what do you like/don't like about the school? Thank you for your help. If it is easier to e-mail me my addy is [email protected]

Thanks,
Stephen.

wanderso said:
I was planning on applying to UNE for admission to the Fall of 2007 starting class. I am from Oklahoma City. I am currently working on a masters degree from O.U. in music. I am not going to finish the masters due to the fact that my primary teacher is leaving, but I am going to finish my med school pre-req's. I am up to about 118k in my stafford loans. I have no alternative loans/perkins etc. . . just stafford. I was wondering if the financial aid is good at UNE? I love what I have seen of the school, but with me being so close to my aggregate limit of stafford loans I am worried about having enough money. I know I will have the option of taking out perkins, about 60-70k more in stafford, that loan for people studying med in Maine and the primary care loan. My credit score is about a 650, so not great in the least, so I am not sure I could get alternative loans. So, that is my main concern, what do you think? Also, just in general, what do you like/don't like about the school? Thank you for your help. If it is easier to e-mail me my addy is [email protected]

Thanks,
Stephen.

You may want to consider talking with the financial aid office at UNE and ask their advice; just call the main number (207-283-0171) and ask for the financial aid office.

Wook

hey all,
I read a few times in the letters from UNECOM that we needed to have our transcripts sent to school for matriculation. I thought that all my transcripts were already sent there but when I spoke to Lisa Lane in Admissions, she said that my folder was empty. Soooo, now I have to send everything there...again! I would recomend that if you are not sure if you officially sent UNE transcripts to double check with them b/c you need them in before matriculation. I know for sure that I sent transcripts from my fall classes and they are nowhere to be found. ahhhh! I thought for sure that my transcript sending days were over!!!

Karhu said:
hey all,
I read a few times in the letters from UNECOM that we needed to have our transcripts sent to school for matriculation. I thought that all my transcripts were already sent there but when I spoke to Lisa Lane in Admissions, she said that my folder was empty. Soooo, now I have to send everything there...again! I would recomend that if you are not sure if you officially sent UNE transcripts to double check with them b/c you need them in before matriculation. I know for sure that I sent transcripts from my fall classes and they are nowhere to be found. ahhhh! I thought for sure that my transcript sending days were over!!!

I know! I just requested them to be sent. unecom sent us tons of stuff to keep us busy....I still need to do that OSHA and HIPPA training online. anybody try that out yet?

one more Q, anybody know if transcripts to be sent include college courses taken in HS? we had to submit transcripts for that in AACOMAS so you think it applies in this situ too? thanks! :)

UNE2009LMD

i'm not absolutely positive, but i sent my HS college courses in.
i did the OSHA (really quick) but the HIPPA seems to take fooooooorrrrever...then again i am a slacker and only do a little at a time. but, it does take a good chunk of time. way easy, and definately mindless.

less than two months and counting...

UNE2009LMD said:
I know! I just requested them to be sent. unecom sent us tons of stuff to keep us busy....I still need to do that OSHA and HIPPA training online. anybody try that out yet?

one more Q, anybody know if transcripts to be sent include college courses taken in HS? we had to submit transcripts for that in AACOMAS so you think it applies in this situ too? thanks! :)

is that hipaa thing still that stupid thing to click through? Make sure you spend enough time on it because it'll say you didn't spend enough time on a particular section... it's SO stupid... :(

johnb

question for you. yes, i know it is wayyyy premature....and yes i know i still have two long years to make it through....but, given my boy will be 300 miles from me i think the question is legit. how popular are the watertown, utica, cooperstown sites for rotations 3rd and 4th year? also, i heard a rumor that 4th year you can make your own rotation as long as everything is legit?

thanks for the info.
:)

docmz said:
johnb

question for you. yes, i know it is wayyyy premature....and yes i know i still have two long years to make it through....but, given my boy will be 300 miles from me i think the question is legit. how popular are the watertown, utica, cooperstown sites for rotations 3rd and 4th year? also, i heard a rumor that 4th year you can make your own rotation as long as everything is legit?

thanks for the info.

DocMZ:

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on the conversation...

Which sites are popular depends on your class. For the class of 2006, all the sites were pretty equally popular. I have heard good things about all 3 sites you mentioned. 4th year rotations are set up by you, as long as you do the administrative stuff. YOu are required to have a certain number of weeks (I think its like 8) at AOA sites (sites that offer an AOA internship year). You have to complete a total of 80 weeks of rotations by the time you graduate. Now realize that this information may change a little from year to year as the administration continues to tweak the program.

Wook

mz... ditto what Wook said, it all depends on the class, most people usually get 1st or at least 2nd choice of sites... thanks for jumping in there wook too...

thank you both :D

wow... looks like you guys are getting close. 1.5 months left to starting. YOU must be so nervous.

Anyone already move to ME. How is the weather? It must be sweet this time of year. Beach/Hicking/ swimming etc... I have an arial view of the UNE and the surounding on my desktop. Close enough for now.

The orientation people seem very diverse. It is a nice mix of older and younger students from all over the place. UNECOM did a good job at this. It allows everyone a chance to interact with a person their age/interests.

Jonb, You on their right? John..

docmz said:
johnb

thanks for the info.

hey Michelle... that is going to be difficult. Long distance relationship suck. I did it for 2 years. Before my GF moved back.

The positive side, 300 miles is not that bad. About 4.5 to 5 hours drive right?
Also you can take the train once a month to visit (study on train ofcourse) and he can come once a month.

Hi Everyone!

Are we getting excited? I know I am. I never knew packing could be considered torture. LOL.
So question, who is doing the rafting trip? I think it looks fun, but a little scary :scared: We'll see. Anyway, hope you all are as stoked as I am and that none of you are dealing with the "Hi, I need all my immunizations again, because my records are MIA". Yes, my arms have been continually sore for the last week and a half because I have every receipt and piece of useless paper I've ever obtained... except my immunization records. What a joy! But I know the pain and suffering will all be worth it.
Well bye bye for now, soon we meet! :D

Maureen

I'm so excited! I am planning on doing the rafting trip. I wouldn't be worried about it being scary though! I did some training as a whitewater rafting guide and it is absolutely safe. If you are up for a little adventure, then sign up! Can't wait to meet everyone. Only 1 month and 1 day till I move!!! :D

Hey All.
I just finished my sophomore year at UMASS Amherst, doing biochem and psych double majors, with pre-med. (of course!) Im an year away from the dreaded MCATS next summer... any tips for me? :) I am getting about a 3.0 gpa and have done research on campus for a year and am currently interning at Astrazeneca (pharma company) for the summer. I think research-wise, I'm all set. Anything else i should be doing... other than a good mcat score?

I was wondering if students that got accepted could talk a little about their personal experiences with UNECOM (application process... interviews... blah blah) and also talk about their profiles... so that i could get some sense of what to do, to make myself have better chances of getting in. Also I see that a lot of you have done some other job or volunteering, whereas I would be coming right out of college, is that a bad thing?

Thanks,
-n0chi.

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows about whether there is a student intramural hockey team? I know that there's an ice arena in Biddo, does anyone else play?

I'm not sure how much I can help, but here is my 'life' story...also known as the dreaded application process.

Stats:
I took the MCAT my junior year. Did ehhhh. But, with ehhhhh MCAT and a good GPA (3.7), excellent LOR's, published article, lots o research, teaching experience, etc. etc., I was waitlisted at UNECOM, and LECOM. UNECOM was my first choice by far. I was at the top of the list at UNECOM but didn't make it in for the Class of 2008. I worked at the Institute for Cardio Res. at SUNY Upstate Medical University for 1 year. Took the MCAT agaiiiiinnnnn last August...did MUCH MUCH MUCH better...interviewed in Sept (2004) and was acepted for class of 2009.

I hope this helps. My advice. Don't give up. That is the biggest mistake you could make. Second, boost that GPA as much as possible. Keep doing research, get good (no EXCELLENT) LOR's, and rock the MCAT. Make studying for it your job. It will pay off.

n0chi said:
Hey All.
I just finished my sophomore year at UMASS Amherst, doing biochem and psych double majors, with pre-med. (of course!) Im an year away from the dreaded MCATS next summer... any tips for me? :) I am getting about a 3.0 gpa and have done research on campus for a year and am currently interning at Astrazeneca (pharma company) for the summer. I think research-wise, I'm all set. Anything else i should be doing... other than a good mcat score?

I was wondering if students that got accepted could talk a little about their personal experiences with UNECOM (application process... interviews... blah blah) and also talk about their profiles... so that i could get some sense of what to do, to make myself have better chances of getting in. Also I see that a lot of you have done some other job or volunteering, whereas I would be coming right out of college, is that a bad thing?

Thanks,
-n0chi.

bigpinesman said:
Hi, just wondering if anyone knows about whether there is a student intramural hockey team? I know that there's an ice arena in Biddo, does anyone else play?

there is a hockey rink, the biddeford ice arena on route 111.
there were a few adult leagues but i did not get involved, i would instead drive once a week back to mass to play with my old team

when it gets cold the big pond by town freezes over and lots play shinny