***Official UNECOM Class of 2009!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those of you closing out the undergrad experience this week, best of luck on finals...
My last one is tomorrow and I will go from :scared: to :hardy: within hours!

Plus, I wanted to get us back to the top of the page (where we belong!)

Momo

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm moving into my beautiful Main St apt in late June/early July. I'm giving myself the whole month of July off so I can hang out on the beach and spend some time with my fam b/c they only live 1.5 hrs away and have a place on a lake. I'm VERY anxious to be done with work, I have major 'senioritis'! We should all try to meet up for some social activities in July since most of us are going to be in B-ford anyway and most of us are probably going to be sitting on the beach. Take it easy until then and good luck to everyone who is finishing up with classes (I don't envy you at all!!!). For me, I'm resting my brain and watching as much reality TV as possible between now and Aug 1, when I will be deprived of it for a very long time. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm addicted...its the first step to recovery. Take it easy...Beth

Hey Guys...we have a few pre-orientation trips going on in late July...white water rafting on the kennebec (tenative) and a three day canoe trip and a three day hiking trip. No expereince needed for any of these! Sign up...more details will be in your orientaion packet that goes out in the next week. Shoot me an email if you are interested in canoeing or hiking trip. Andy

jmcmahon on pipeline :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
for those of you moving from far away i have just a few words of wisdom and suggestions. i came from california, bought a car out here and flew most of my stuff out on the plane with me. (me and my dad, each with 3 (huge) checked in-bags and 2 carry-ons flew jet blue out here for really cheap. great way to cut down on shipping costs!) if you have any questions on how to survive a stressful crosscountry move, go ahead and PM me.

as far as timing goes, make sure you have enough time to get settled before orientation and classes start. last year, i got back from europe on july 12th, left california on july 22nd and we started orientation on july 26th. (not enough time to buy a car, furniture, get a new bank local account, and move into a new apartment ... i seriously underestimated how long it can take to get settled.) so my advice: give yourself at least a week to get your life in order once you move here so you aren't a mess worrying about getting curtains for your windows when orientation and classes are starting. also, i didn't get a chance to do the pre-orientation rafting trip and would've liked to, so there's more incentive to get here sooner rather than later. (don't worry, you won't be totally out of the loop if you don't go on the trips, but they should be a ton of fun before the suffering officially begins.)

happy friday and watch your mailbox for more exciting information about orientation and all the wonderful goodness that awaits you on august 1st :D

joanie

p.s. please join the pipeline page if you haven't already, and also watch for immunization, physical, and paperwork info that's coming your way. get it done asap and DO NOT put it off until the last minute. (also, FYI, the school health insurance doesn't do a good job of covering mandatory immunizations, so if you can get it covered by your current insurance, do it.)

momo7430 said:
I am now trying to figure out when to go up! What are the rest of you guys thinking? I know Orientation starts July 31st, but do you think it's too late if I don't move up until @ July 21? I wanted to get going between the 6th and the 11th, but my family is like NO! you'll be sitting around bored for 2 weeks. I highly doubt that, BUT I don't want to miss any "getting to know you" stuff at UNE. I am wondering if there are any pre-orientation activities?
Any ideas? Thanks a lot guys. And all those tortured by finals this week :eek: like me... GOOD LUCK. :luck:

Momo

Hey,
I'm thinking I'd like to move up around the middle of July, if not sooner. That'll give me some time to get acclimated to the area before school starts. I might even do the move as early as June, get it out of the way, and then stay with my family in NY until I go up. It'll depend on when I can move into an apartment up there and what my summer vacation plans will be (I figure I'll need to blow off some steam before I jump into the workload of medical school.) Look forward to getting to know everone here though!

For all of you who are coming up early this summer, you should definitely
give me a call. I'm going to be working in a lab on campus, and most of
my buddies are either getting married or going a ways away for the summer,
so I'm looking for folks to hike/bike/run or whatever with me. I'm also glad
to meet up for coffee and answer any lingering questions...

You can find me on the 2009 Group site b/c I'm one of your orientation
leaders or you can email me -- acosslett on pipeline. Our class is really
looking forward to having you join us!!!!

Allison
UNECOM 2008

Hi! Sounds great. I'm moving up at the beginning of July(gotta find an apt. still) and would definately love to meet up with everyone who is there. Also up for biking/hiking. See you all soon! :D
~Shannon

bluesunlily said:

Allison
UNECOM 2008

hey folks,
if you have been accepted to UNE, congrats. If you have decided to come, even more congrats. I am a 2nd year, (for one more week) and i will be leaving behind a decent apartment in Saco, ME. its about 10 minutes from school. it is a 2 or 3 bedroom place, with a good size dining room and kitchen and living room. there is an office with built in book shelves, and the place has hardwood floors throughout, and tons of sunlight.
I pay 1000 per month for rent(heat included), and i have been sharing it with my wife and 2 kids. its a good setup for a family or 2 students that want to share.
My landlord lives downstairs, and is super nice. he bought my washer and dryer so you would have those there. He let us have a dog and a cat there, just made us pay 200 extra bucks for security deposit (which he already gave back).

http://www.une.edu/studentlife/housing/pdf/listingssaco.pdf

its listed under 139 Lewis Ave

nothing in this for me, I just like my landlord, and i'm sure he'll do right by you too.

feel free to PM me or email at [email protected] if you want to

bluesunlily said:

Allison
UNECOM 2008

Biking and running sounds good to me too. I'm trying to get up there as early as possible.

By the way, I still have to find an apartment up there. I'm looking to live as close to the school as possible. I might be interested in getting a roommate to share a place so if anyone is interested or has a place in mind, let me know.

luckystrike said:
Biking and running sounds good to me too. I'm trying to get up there as early as possible.

By the way, I still have to find an apartment up there. I'm looking to live as close to the school as possible. I might be interested in getting a roommate to share a place so if anyone is interested or has a place in mind, let me know.

Hi! I'm looking for places too, as close as possible but I haven't had any luck finding anything closer than about 3/3.5 miles away (on Pool st.). Everything else is seasonal. Have u found anything close by? all the really good ones I find turn out to be seasonal and i just really don't want to move again in august/sept. Good luck in the hunt, see u soon :)

hey, looking forward to meeting you SOON!

it is really tough to find year-round housing right by the school. and I
definitely agree with not wanting to move during school...by that point
you'll be in the thick of things and the last thing you'll want to do is
move. although some people do it without too much trouble (generally
people with very little stuff).

i live in biddeford and i think it's great because it's CHEAP! i live in a huge
3 bedroom apt with 2 classmates and each pay $325/month, utilities
included. now we've got the best deal i've heard of money-wise. i do have
about an 8 minute drive each way, but i certainly don' t mind it. i sortof gather my thoughts and listen to music on the drive.

i would say that it is more beautiful and more convenient to live right next
to the school and by the ocean. however, you do pay for that nicety, both
in terms of $ and moving issues.

the good news is, you really can't go wrong. i haven't heard of any horror
stories or of anyone who's even been really displeased with their choice.

see ya soon!

irishlaydi said:
Hi! I'm looking for places too, as close as possible but I haven't had any luck finding anything closer than about 3/3.5 miles away (on Pool st.). Everything else is seasonal. Have u found anything close by? all the really good ones I find turn out to be seasonal and i just really don't want to move again in august/sept. Good luck in the hunt, see u soon :)

Hey,
Yeah, I don't want anything seasonal either. I haven't found anything close by yet but I've been finishing up some school stuff lately so I haven't looked that hard. After this week, I'll really dive into looking for a place.
Now that we're all in medical school, am I the only one having trouble taking finals seriously?

Does anyone have a 2005 match list for UNECOM? Their website is not updated.

Members don't see this ad :)
iliketocut said:
Does anyone have a 2005 match list for UNECOM? Their website is not updated.
I don't think they've even compiled it yet... it'll be out sometime soon though I'm sure

Do you know offhand where people went for general surgery? Thanks-

the only one I know for sure is that they finally matched someone into general surgery at the berkshire site. I'm sure there are others... once it comes out i'm sure it'll be posted.

I have the match list...I know when I was a 1st or 2nd year I would have had no clue whether or not something would have been compiled yet...

Anyway, the list has each 4th year classmate's name and where they are going next year. It doesn't specify whether a hospital is AOA or ACGME or both. I don't want to post it on here because it has everyone's names on it and some people wouldn't want their name posted on a forum, but if you PM me I will send it to you. Please don't post it unless you want to delete names though, when people agreed to be on this list I don't think they thought that their individual whereabouts for the next few years would be made public on a website.

Since there was so much interest, I took a little time and made an internet-friendly list by specialty.

Our class president compiled a match list for the Class of 2005 about a month after the match. This list has most of the class, but our class had ~ 105 people so there are some people missing. About half of the people who matched in a traditional internship are also on here for where they matched for their residency.

Family Practice (17)
Easter Maine Medical Center - 3
Dartmouth – New Hampshire - 2
Wilson Memorial – New York
Dartmouth – Augusta, Maine – 7
Brown
Christiana Care – Delaware
Washington Hospital – PA
Lawrence Family Medicine – MA

Family Practice/OMM (3)
UNECOM - 2
Florida Hospital, East Orlando

Internal Medicine (11)
Dartmouth – NH
St. Vincent’s – MA
Lahey Clinic - 2
Maine Medical Center - 2
Baystate – MA
U-Conn – 2
U-Mass
UMDNJ - SOM

Internal Medicine – Preliminary year (1)
Baystate – 1

Traditional Internship (11)
U-Mass
U-Conn - 2
Samaritan Hospital, Watertown, NY - 2
Navy Hospital – VA
Botsford Hospital – MI
Doctor’s Hospital – OH
North Shore U Hospital
Bassett Hospital, NY
Geisinger Med – PA

Pediatrics (8)
San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Center
Keesler Air Force – MS
Schneider Children’s – NY
Baystate – MA – 3
Charleston, SC
Maine Medical Center

Med/Peds (1)
Geisinger Med – PA

OB/GYN (5)
Christiana Care – DE
U-Conn
U-Mass
Wright-Patterson AFB – OH
Maine Medical Center

Psychiatry (2)
Mayo Clinic – MN
Lackland AFB

General Surgery (2)
Geisinger Med – PA
Christiana Care - DE

Prelim Surgery (2)
UMDNJ
Berkshire Med – MA

Emergency Medicine (8)
Lehigh Valley, PA
UMDNJ
Brown
Albert Einstein – PA
St. Joseph’s Mercy – MI
Good Samaritan Hospital – NY
U-Mass
Emory

Neurology (2)
U-Mass – 2

Radiology (4)
Grandview Med – OH
Maine Medical Center - 2
Botsford General, MI

Anesthesiology (2)
Columbia at St. Luke’s
U-Mass

Pathology (1)
Dartmouth – NH

PM&R (1)
Tufts – NEMC

Thank you!
:thumbup:

Doc Oc said:
Since there was so much interest, I took a little time and made an internet-friendly list by specialty.

Our class president compiled a match list for the Class of 2005 about a month after the match. This list has most of the class, but our class had ~ 105 people so there are some people missing. About half of the people who matched in a traditional internship are also on here for where they matched for their residency.

Family Practice (17)
Brown
Washington Hospital – PA

Family Practice/OMM (3)
UNECOM - 2

Internal Medicine (11)
Dartmouth – NH
St. Vincent’s – MA
Lahey Clinic - 2
Maine Medical Center - 2
Baystate – MA
U-Conn – 2
U-Mass
UMDNJ - SOM

Baystate – 1

U-Mass
U-Conn - 2
Navy Hospital – VA
Botsford Hospital – MI
Doctor’s Hospital – OH
North Shore U Hospital
Bassett Hospital, NY
Geisinger Med – PA

Pediatrics (8)
Keesler Air Force – MS
Baystate – MA – 3
Charleston, SC
Maine Medical Center

Med/Peds (1)
Geisinger Med – PA

OB/GYN (5)
Christiana Care – DE
U-Conn
U-Mass
Maine Medical Center

Psychiatry (2)
Mayo Clinic – MN
Lackland AFB

General Surgery (2)
Geisinger Med – PA
Christiana Care - DE

Prelim Surgery (2)
UMDNJ
Berkshire Med – MA

Emergency Medicine (8)
Lehigh Valley, PA
UMDNJ
Brown
Albert Einstein – PA
St. Joseph’s Mercy – MI
U-Mass
Emory

Neurology (2)
U-Mass – 2

Radiology (4)
Grandview Med – OH
Maine Medical Center - 2
Botsford General, MI

Anesthesiology (2)
Columbia at St. Luke’s
U-Mass

Pathology (1)
Dartmouth – NH

PM&R (1)
Tufts – NEMC

Thanks Doc Oc!!! really appreciate it. :)

Hi everyone. I guess you guys are all prety hyped about school starting soon. Again sorry I could not join you this Aug. But you will see me next Aug.

Doc OC, thanks for the match. You have some really big names on there. UNECOM should be very pleased with the continuous improvement in residency matches. I am sure UNECOM can give a few allopathic schools are run for their money.

Doc Oc said:

Family Practice (17)
Brown
Washington Hospital – PA

Family Practice/OMM (3)
UNECOM - 2

Internal Medicine (11)
Dartmouth – NH
St. Vincent’s – MA
Lahey Clinic - 2
Maine Medical Center - 2
Baystate – MA
U-Conn – 2
U-Mass
UMDNJ - SOM

Baystate – 1

U-Mass
U-Conn - 2
Navy Hospital – VA
Botsford Hospital – MI
Doctor’s Hospital – OH
North Shore U Hospital
Bassett Hospital, NY
Geisinger Med – PA

Pediatrics (8)
Keesler Air Force – MS
Baystate – MA – 3
Charleston, SC
Maine Medical Center

Med/Peds (1)
Geisinger Med – PA

OB/GYN (5)
Christiana Care – DE
U-Conn
U-Mass
Maine Medical Center

Psychiatry (2)
Mayo Clinic – MN
Lackland AFB

General Surgery (2)
Geisinger Med – PA
Christiana Care - DE

Prelim Surgery (2)
UMDNJ
Berkshire Med – MA

Emergency Medicine (8)
Lehigh Valley, PA
UMDNJ
Brown
Albert Einstein – PA
St. Joseph’s Mercy – MI
U-Mass
Emory

Neurology (2)
U-Mass – 2

Radiology (4)
Grandview Med – OH
Maine Medical Center - 2
Botsford General, MI

Anesthesiology (2)
Columbia at St. Luke’s
U-Mass

Pathology (1)
Dartmouth – NH

PM&R (1)
Tufts – NEMC

Thanks so much!!

We're renting a seasonal place from September 1 to the end of the school year, and were wondering if anyone knew of any options for temporary housing in August. Ideally we're looking for something in Biddeford/Saco, basically a bedroom and bathroom will do. We heard something about housing for 3rd and 4th year med students that is sometimes available, does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,
Brian & Kristina

Ok, here are my two, probably dumb, questions of the day.

1) How far in advance should I notify my landlord of when I plan on moving in. My lease starts in July, but when I signed it he asked my approximate date and I told him mid July. He said he would pro-rate it for me because he needed to do painting etc. So....should I let him know the exact date now, or wait a bit?

2) When arranging to have electricity switched at an apatment, do you solely contact the electrical company (which is what in maine?), or do you have to do it through the landlord (electrical is not included in rent).

Thanks. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

hey mz, Call Central Maine Power, give them your address and unit/apartment number, give them all your information, name, etc. and tell them exactly what date you want to start paying (will be your move in day or the day before)... this will be the date that they actually come out and take a reading on the meter and switch over the bill from your landlord into your name... I know my landlord needed proof that we switched the electricity over to my and judy's (my wife) name before we were given the keys. The first bill will be from whenever you start till the 30th/31st of the month plus like $20ish administration fee.

A note: make sure you tell them that you are switching the name of the person paying the bill on the unit, you're NOT signing up for new service, because that is much more expensive. They were really helpful and easy to work with when I called last summer. oh yeah, biddo's zip is 04005 if you haven't already memorized it. :) hope your summer is going well, path test on monday for us, so us first years are getting a little stressed... but it's almost over. PM me if you have any questions... :)

This thread needs a serious bump! has anyone received their packets yet for health insurance and PE info (ie vaccinations and stuff). I really want to get that taken care of soon b/c my days of working at a doc's office are limited!

thanks so much jon! that info was very helpful!

anyway, hellllllo, it's monday. weeeeeeeee. i haven't received any info on PE etc. stuff. i too would like that because i only have a month or so left of lovely insurance. haha.

have a great night all.

Hello, I have my physical tomorrow and they said that if I had not received the form by mail today then they would fax me one. So, as long as you have access to a fax you should be alright. When I called UNE they said they would have had them out a long time ago but were waiting for one final piece (don't know what that final piece was). This does raise an interesting issue, in that I think people should at least be given copies of all of their medical records so that we don't have to call our doctors offices anytime someone needs proof that we've had a vaccination or test. What do you think?

No kidding.

There should be some online system where our medical life is there and we can download it anytime we need it and it is the most up to date. Wishful thinking. I can't even seem to get an appointment until September. What good that will do! I guess I have to keep begging to see who will take me.

just an FYI...I got all my vax/physical stuff done at university health care after classes started.

thanks mcandy for the fyi.

here is another question for you MSI's.
when UNECOM says they figure in 1850 for books, and 1000 for equipment, i know they are giving the max for those on army or nhs scholraships. but, did you use all that when you actually bought books and equipment. i ask this beacuse i am trying to determine how much additional i will need to borrow from a private lender to cover costs for school. any words of wisdom???

mcandy said:
just an FYI...I got all my vax/physical stuff done at university health care after classes started.

take all that you can. You're going to be making enough some day to pay it back. You can always pay off at the end of the year with any you have left over, but you DO NOT want to be caught without enough money at the end of the year... the last couple weeks of MS-1 are stressful enough, don't add money stress into it...

Do not, I repeat DO NOT buy your medical equipment from the UNE Bookstore. They will charge you $850 for the EXACT SAME (same make and model) equipment you can buy online for $450-550. I recomend ALLHEART.COM . They were great to deal with. I bought scrubs from them as well.

Also, DO NOT BUY ALL THE BOOKS ON THE LIST, EVEN IF THEY ARE ON THE REQUIRED LIST. Go to your classes for a week or so and see if you will need the book. Many books on the required list are only there so the Military scholarship students can get them paid for by the government, and not because you will actually use them. You can get most of them much cheaper on Ebay or Amazon. They say $1850 for books, I probably only spent $500 for the whole year.

Hope this helps. Good luck and cant wait to meet all of you!

to add to what scoddy just said, our class did a survey to show you what books we used, they're broken down something like "crucial", "good reference", "borrowed", "did not use" I'd wait to see what that has to say before buying your books. Also, if money is tight you don't HAVE to have a opthalmoscope/otoscope... If you do buy your equipment, I agree get it from allheart.com as much as I like John in the bookstore, his stuff is way expensive.... ok, back to derm lecture :)

Another option: e-bay. I bought my oto/opth scopes for a very reasonable price. (Older & used, but once on rotations almost every clinic/hospital will have one). one thing you don't want to skimp on is your stethoscope-you'll want a good set of ears and it's an item you will use A LOT. And yes-definately go to allheart.com to purchase you stuff. They have very competitive prices.

Don't buy all the books in the list-wait until class and then feel out what you think you will use & need. Only thing I recommend is a copy of the dissector for 1st day of anatomy/1st day of school.

Don't buy an OMM table. Use the ones at school and save your $$.
hope this helps!

Oh yes-Many third years (myself included) will be around the first week of school pawning off our books. Another way to save yourself some $$$ :D

1. where do we access the list of book usage by the class of 08?
2. did i totally miss something in the packet or on the website b/c i didn't read the list of book/med supplies and costs anywhere??!!

cue nervous breakdown in 5,4,3,2.....

Karhu said:
cue nervous breakdown in 5,4,3,2.....

ok, let's all take a nice deep breath together right now, and continue to do so until you get here in july ... the soon-to-be 2nd years are here for you we're going to take care of you and help you get it all done :)

the survey has been completed and i'm putting the finishing touches on it before we send it out to you. as far as i know, you guys haven't even gotten your complete textbook list yet, so don't worry about it. (see my post on the pipeline pages re: why you should wait to buy books.)

something else to consider ... SOMA (student osteopathic medical association) is offering a really super cheap deal on medical equipment, pretty much identical to what the bookstore offers and including everything you need. this is open to you regardless of whether you decide to join SOMA. that info packet should be arriving soon in the mail if it hasn't yet already. so keep that in mind.

another piece of advice: you will have tons and tons of stuff to take care of before school starts. you WILL get it all done. stay organized and pay attention to everything that comes your way. and don't panic, it will all be ok.

joanie

thanks joanie. i had total mental vomit for a second there. it happens. don't worry i crawled out of the fetal position and pulled myself together! haha. i think you were my tour guide when i interviewed in janurary...if my memory serves. you rock!! thanks! beth (aka karhu)

I was hoping to start a conversation about Health Insurance. I've heard SOMA is not very reliable but I haven't heard much about UNECOM's insurance. Any thoughts? I realize any affordable choice will not be ideal. Any help would be great?!?!

the school insurance... as dr. Ashkenazy said one time when I was at the health center... "you have the school wal-mart insurance?" it's really not the greatest, but if you don't have any major health issues and don't take meds all year it'll do what you need. The thing to be careful of, they have a $250 deductible for anything not actually done at the University Health Care (ER, labs, specialists, etc).

If you're coming with a family, I'd be careful paying for this. I paid $4700 for the year for my wife to get on this insurance, (we also couldn't get loans for it either), she got a job with great insurance 3 months later, and we couldn't get refunded for the year. :( So now she's double covered. )

I've heard mixed things about the SOMA insurance (there is another thread already going on this). If you have a family, check out the Dirigo health care plan set up by the state of Maine. It's not Medicaid, but it's still based on income. You're going to qualify as a low income (unless your spouse has a great job) because you're not going to be working at all. Good luck!

Is it mandatory that you be a Maine resident to qualify for Diringo?

brody17 said:
Is it mandatory that you be a Maine resident to qualify for Diringo?
yes, I believe it is... but if you change your driver's license over that'd be all you need to do... it might be worth it. :)

FYI, those of us looking for a laptop:

When I logged on to the Dell website like the instructions from school said, and did the whole school discount thing... I went back in and checked under just the regular old, option of Home/Home Office and it's a couple hundred bucks cheaper when you don't use the school premier thing. Dunno why... but I wanted to share the info.
I guess they're out to make a buck... Dang Capitalists. LOL.

Good Luck & Happy Saturday...only a couple months left! :D

I would also check the small business section... I bought my computer from gateway in the small business section and got a free upgraded RAM, and a couple other things, AND the computer base price was cheaper. I never had to tell them what my "small business" was either. Just shop around...

Also, we just sent out postcards to all you guys... you should be getting them in the next couple days.

find discount computer coupons here

www.techbargains.com

watch this daily..last year I got a coupon for 30% off and got free doubled memory and hard drive and free shipping. Take the code and do a normal dell purchase and enter the code in the payment page.

Here's another recommended site-bought my desktop computer here and saved a huge bundle- www.gotapex.com

Gotta do a little searching on this site but it is worth it.

Whatever you do-don't buy from the way overpriced "school" run deal, unless you like wasting money.

Have had great luck with HP, much less $$$ than dell for the same computer.

FYI

I checked out the site listed by NMH2001, www.gotapex.com and I found that Dell is offering $750.00 off certain laptops until TOMORROW! I got mine today, it was the Inspiron 6000, I was stoked to say the least! :clap:
Some only qualified for $400 off, but still I thought it was pretty awesome.

It took some poking around Dell's site to make it work, but it was well worth it. Good Luck!

Maureen

Glad that the website helped-like I said, I bought my desktop Dell from there and saved LOTS of $$$$. I wish I knew about the site when we bought my husbands laptop!

Yes, many of the deals are only good for a few days or so, but similar really good deals are always popping up. Just keep your eyes peeled and check back every couple days or so. :)

Any of your 09's get your postcards from us yet?