***Official UNECOM Class of 2009!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The ceremony is one where you and the MSII will be present along with family. There will be several speakers and at the end of the ceremony, an MSII will put the white coat on you. There are usually finger foods after the ceremony. I know of no cap on the number of people you can bring, but you may want to check with student affairs to get clarification on that.

Wook

irishlaydi said:
Hi all (Thanks docmz/Michelle for the info, glad i'm not the only one),
I know our White Coat Ceremony is Oct 6th (yah!) does anyone know what its like, and the reception after. Do families come? If so, are there a certain # of people you can bring, etc...?
I have an anxious family so I want to know before I tell them the date :D
Thanks all! can't wait to meet everyone. :luck:
~Shannon

Members don't see this ad.

wook said:
The ceremony is one where you and the MSII will be present along with family. There will be several speakers and at the end of the ceremony, an MSII will put the white coat on you. There are usually finger foods after the ceremony. I know of no cap on the number of people you can bring, but you may want to check with student affairs to get clarification on that.

Wook

Thanks! does UNECOM have you take the oath then? I know there are some schools that wait till end of school and some have been doing at the white coat ceremony. just curious. So, do most people bring family? I appreciate all the info. :luck:

Good questions. Yes, you do take the oath at the white coat ceremony (I don't know if you take it again at the end of school). Many people invite family to be present. Some don't. Depending on your class and which exams may be coming up, some people go out afterward to "celebrate". In my case, I brought one member from my family. One person couldn't make it (i.e. I invited two folks). I know of some people that invited 3-4 people, but I don't recall how many showed.

Good luck!!

Wook

irishlaydi said:
Thanks! does UNECOM have you take the oath then? I know there are some schools that wait till end of school and some have been doing at the white coat ceremony. just curious. So, do most people bring family? I appreciate all the info. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
wook said:
Good questions. Yes, you do take the oath at the white coat ceremony (I don't know if you take it again at the end of school). Many people invite family to be present. Some don't. Depending on your class and which exams may be coming up, some people go out afterward to "celebrate". In my case, I brought one member from my family. One person couldn't make it (i.e. I invited two folks). I know of some people that invited 3-4 people, but I don't recall how many showed.

Good luck!!

Wook

Hi Wook. Thanks so much for your help! My prob is that I have parents that remarried and both sets want to come, along with my new baby sibling. think thats too much? I really have no idea what to expect so i appreciate your wisdom :D :luck:
~are you at UNECOM now?

As far as I know, there is no limit to the number of people you can bring. (Now if you're talking 20, there might be an issue!) Looks like you will have 4 adults and one baby coming-you'll definately have no problem. The room in the hotel that they have it in seats an insane amount of people-I think it's like 1000 or so. The only reason the school wants to know how many people you are inviting is so they have a head count for an after ceremony shindig that goes on downstairs from the event afterwards.

Hope that helps!

irishlaydi said:
Hi Wook. Thanks so much for your help! My prob is that I have parents that remarried and both sets want to come, along with my new baby sibling. think thats too much? I really have no idea what to expect so i appreciate your wisdom :D :luck:
~are you at UNECOM now?

rpcv01 said:
thanks docbannister. trying to end the sdn addiction and move to the pipeline...baby-steps! but another question for y'all ~what about pdas? should i already have a palm? get one soon? or would it be better to wait 'til i actually get there and figure out the essentials?
hope all is well. looking forward to seeing everyone soon!

RPCV- I think I'm going to wait on the PDA until I start doing my rotations. I have heard great things about Epocrites (sp?) and plan on using it eventually. I decided to buy an ipod instead!

NMH2001 said:
As far as I know, there is no limit to the number of people you can bring. (Now if you're talking 20, there might be an issue!) Looks like you will have 4 adults and one baby coming-you'll definately have no problem. The room in the hotel that they have it in seats an insane amount of people-I think it's like 1000 or so. The only reason the school wants to know how many people you are inviting is so they have a head count for an after ceremony shindig that goes on downstairs from the event afterwards.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! :luck:

I had my wife, my parents, sister, in-laws, bro and sis in law, and good friend (EMT Captain who started with me when I was a young 16 yo ambulance attendent and didn't know what an NRB even was...) come (that's 9 if you lost count in my story) and I didn't have any problem. I actually invited 12 and there wasn't an issue...

Hi everybody,

I am lucky enough to have gone to Biddeford this weekend and visited our lovely campus again. I went to see what the apartment I rented was like in person and I was happy overall. I met two girls who live in my building and they are in MSI right now and they had all great things to say about UNE. I'm so excited to get going! I was shocked that there was still some snow around on the ground... but the weather was beautiful. The campus is awesome and I can't get over how friendly people are.

Anyway, I guess we're naming names now for Pipeline's sake...
So can't wait to get to know you all!

Maureen :D
mdecamp on pipeline

momo7430 said:
Hi everybody,

I am lucky enough to have gone to Biddeford this weekend and visited our lovely campus again. I went to see what the apartment I rented was like in person and I was happy overall. I met two girls who live in my building and they are in MSI right now and they had all great things to say about UNE. I'm so excited to get going! I was shocked that there was still some snow around on the ground... but the weather was beautiful. The campus is awesome and I can't get over how friendly people are.

Anyway, I guess we're naming names now for Pipeline's sake...
So can't wait to get to know you all!

Maureen :D
mdecamp on pipeline

I know! I went to visit a month ago and snow was everywhere...in March of all times! I mean, there was snow up to my shoulders and I'm 5'3!!! :laugh: When I went, it was freezing and I had my thick winter jacket w/ me.

Yes, the friendliness factor @UNECOM is great! When I was there w/ my fam, ppl actually went out their way to give me directions. very cool.
I can't wait!! :luck:

Hey there current and soon to be UNECOMers,
I'll be an MS1 at UNECOM this August as well. I am currently on the west coast and having family check out housing for me. Could you possibly share your findings w me, ie apartment complexes, location, where do most students live? ie Is there a specific area where COM students tend to live? thanks a million!

unecom09 said:
Hey there current and soon to be UNECOMers,
I'll be an MS1 at UNECOM this August as well. I am currently on the west coast and having family check out housing for me. Could you possibly share your findings w me, ie apartment complexes, location, where do most students live? ie Is there a specific area where COM students tend to live? thanks a million!

In my class, people lived in many different areas. Some lived in Biddeford, some Saco, some Portland, etc.. Here's a link of some of the available housing that is posted on the UNE website:

http://www.une.edu/studentlife/housing/offcampus.html

Hope this helps.

Wook

Members don't see this ad :)
wook said:
In my class, people lived in many different areas. Some lived in Biddeford, some Saco, some Portland, etc.. Here's a link of some of the available housing that is posted on the UNE website:

http://www.une.edu/studentlife/housing/offcampus.html

Hi guys/gals,
I have posted a house for rent on the 2009 pipeline message board.

ALSO - Is there a thread that people are using to look for housing on SDN???

:)

Hello all. I hope to be joining your ranks at UNECOM in the fall of 2006 and am trying to find out as much info as I can about the school. Well, I found a pretty cool article about UNECOM and UMMS. Seems that one of the sites for clinicals for UNECOM is the main site for UMMS. UMMS is ranked number 4 in primary care in the country and if UNECOM shares their main teaching site than you all must be getting a pretty damn good education too. Not that rankings matter much but it is a cool thing to tell your folks. Here is the link to the article:UNECOM and UMMS artice

Now the more I find out about UNECOM, the more I like. It seems that the school is wicked friendly, I am a New Englander so its ok for me to say wicked. The profs seem to really care about the students. The anatomy lab is great, #2 in the country I think, and the OMM lab is awesome too I hear. The location is beautiful and the rotation and match sites are pretty good too. Is there anything else about UNECOM that helped cement your decision to come here? I met an awesome doc who graduated from UNECOM and some pretty cool residents at my new job at a hospital, and they make me want to go to UNECOM even more. Any other impressions on the school would be really appreciated. Thanks.

hey all! i just wanted to say hello... im a future member of the 2009 UNE class and cant wait for fall! i found these forums kind of late, but its great to see such a strong UNE following this early in the game!

i have a couple questions though -- i have tried logging onto the pipeline - it gives me the username, but i cant sort out the password.... am i totally ******ed here? please help! i want to see whats going on!! :)

also, i got the financial aid application in the mail the other day and just wanted to see what people chose as far as the stafford loan lender - the descriptions seem practically the same, is there any specific reason to chose 1 over the other?

thanks! and i cant wait to meet everyone in the fall! [or next fall, docbill!]

NH423 said:
hey all! i just wanted to say hello... im a future member of the 2009 UNE class and cant wait for fall! i found these forums kind of late, but its great to see such a strong UNE following this early in the game!

i have a couple questions though -- i have tried logging onto the pipeline - it gives me the username, but i cant sort out the password.... am i totally ******ed here? please help! i want to see whats going on!! :)

also, i got the financial aid application in the mail the other day and just wanted to see what people chose as far as the stafford loan lender - the descriptions seem practically the same, is there any specific reason to chose 1 over the other?

thanks! and i cant wait to meet everyone in the fall! [or next fall, docbill!]

The password for pipeline=digits of your b-day(2digits of the month, day, and yr). just have to say pipeline is a great invention...btw, welcome to SDN! It's addicting although I've been pretty good at keeping my postings at a minimum for now. :laugh:

I chose Sallie Mae--citizens bank as my lender just b/c I already had an account w/ them. They seem pretty efficient and reliable. I spoke to an agent whhile I was filling out the online app and they were great at answering all my questions...so the customer service is a definite plus.

Can't wait to meet everyone either! In the meantime, have a great week guys! :)

redwings54 said:
Now the more I find out about UNECOM, the more I like. It seems that the school is wicked friendly, I am a New Englander so its ok for me to say wicked. The profs seem to really care about the students. The anatomy lab is great, #2 in the country I think, and the OMM lab is awesome too I hear. The location is beautiful and the rotation and match sites are pretty good too. Is there anything else about UNECOM that helped cement your decision to come here? I met an awesome doc who graduated from UNECOM and some pretty cool residents at my new job at a hospital, and they make me want to go to UNECOM even more. Any other impressions on the school would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Redwings54,
I am delighted to say I'll be starting at UNECOM this fall and I am stoked. My two cents is as follows... I got into a couple other schools with more well known names and reputations, BUT I decided to go for quality. You already know, how wonderful the staff is, and I can vouch for that. I guess I value that big time because at my undergrad here in Florida... HA! Fat chance anyone helps you or bothers to be nice to you. Anyway, My main reason was that Gross Anatomy is a big deal to me, I feel personally that it is VERY important to get it, learn it, know it, understand it...etc. you get my point. LOL, :D You might even say I'm a little terrified of it.
Anyway, at other schools you got A LOT less personal attention and either 1.) the cadavers were prosected (already disected) when you got to them or 2.) you had 7-8 lab partners per bench and had to rotate disection... so that if it's not your turn- (I think you get scrwd) but you miss the opportunity to get in there that day. I learn by doing stuff hands on and at UNE the lab is known to be one of the top in the country and the smaller school allows a better ratio for student attention. So, that was my main concern and it gave UNECOM the definite upper hand. It was the best fit for me, and that's what you have to think about.
Best of Luck!
Momo

so i still haven't heard anything about my financial aid.
hmm....anyone else in the same boat? should i call?

I still haven't received my financial packet either.

Kiks my honey and I just got word that we'll be attending UNE this fall! Can't wait to meet everyone. Southern Maine is a great place to live- I lived in Portland for sixteen years. The area has really sprawled lately, but there are still alot of great places around UNE. If you have a kayak you'll really love it. See you all in a few months

-Brian

Did anyone get an interview with NHSC? I got mine today and am interviewing in NYC on June 21. Hope anyone who applied got a positive letter today!
Cheers, Beth

Karhu said:
Did anyone get an interview with NHSC? I got mine today and am interviewing in NYC on June 21. Hope anyone who applied got a positive letter today!
Cheers, Beth
Hey Beth - Yeah I applied and I am going to interview in ATL on May 20. Someone told me that they expect to interview around 900 students. They invited a little bit over 50% of applicants. So have you read up on the types of questions asked on one of the other threads??? I am doing my homework now. See at UNE, Corey

hey b+c! congratulations!! wow. 900 interviews... i am also interviewing in boston 6/6 ~when you mention potential questions, did you find them on the website or are you talking previous sdn threads? just curious what kind of info. they're looking for...
all the best :)
erin

Thats great everyone!! Good luck on the interviews!!

congrats to you! it's an honor to just get an interview!

best of luck! looking forward to having you all here!

allison
c/o 2008

rpcv01 said:
hey b+c! congratulations!! wow. 900 interviews... i am also interviewing in boston 6/6 ~when you mention potential questions, did you find them on the website or are you talking previous sdn threads? just curious what kind of info. they're looking for...
all the best :)
erin
Hey Erin - were you in the peace corps? Check out the thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/sho...pp=20&highlight=national+health+service+corps
Under gen. discussion forums >financial aid = advice on NHSC scholarship app.
Page 3 of this thread starts a lot of postings on questions that were asked during interviews.

Hi all! :luck:
Finally, the whole application process is over and now I'm happy to be attending UNECOM.... CLASS OF 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
B and I took the MCAT last August and it's been a painful time since then waiting..and waiting some more. Only applying to 2 schools was nervracking too...but finally..I'm so excited that we both got in and will be attending UNE together!!
We really loved the campus and are heading over to Main next weekend to look for a place to live. If you have any ideas ..please let me know! I checked out the UNE housing info but personal recommendations would be great too! We would prefer a yr round place. Thanks, K
:p

sappdog said:
Hey Erin - were you in the peace corps? Check out the thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/sho...pp=20&highlight=national+health+service+corps
Under gen. discussion forums >financial aid = advice on NHSC scholarship app.
Page 3 of this thread starts a lot of postings on questions that were asked during interviews.
great help! thanks so much :)
yeah, pcv west africa (togo 99-01) ~got kind of crazy w/logo and all! just love the pics/animation on this site :laugh:
enjoy the weekend.

bump... not going to let it go to 2nd page.

any of you 2009-ers still looking for housing? I'm looking for someone to take my apartment. It is a 1br apartment 4 miles from UNECOM, year-round lease, office, full (but tiny) kitchen, full bathroom with big tub, off-street parking, heat included. $600/month. Yes, I do think two people could live here, but you'd have to be cleaner and better organized than I am. You can move in anytime after July 1.

I posted this a couple pages back, so there is a more detailed description in this thread somewhere else if you feel like searching.

Interested? e-mail me: nwoodworth at pipeline dot une dot edu

Hi all. is anyone else having trouble finding a place to live? I guess I am being picky right now, I really want to live as close to campus as possible. I know there are a ton of decent apts in biddeford, but does anyone (current or future student) know of places closer? I would love to live right by school, but i know those are all seasonal...what do students do from july-sept if they rent seasonal apts? is it getting late to find an apt there, so I should stop being so picky??? any advice or info would be great. can't wait to meet everyone!

irishlaydi said:
Hi all. is anyone else having trouble finding a place to live? I guess I am being picky right now, I really want to live as close to campus as possible. I know there are a ton of decent apts in biddeford, but does anyone (current or future student) know of places closer? I would love to live right by school, but i know those are all seasonal...what do students do from july-sept if they rent seasonal apts? is it getting late to find an apt there, so I should stop being so picky??? any advice or info would be great. can't wait to meet everyone!
I'd say just live in biddeford, especially if you want a year round place... I live in town and it's really not that bad, it's only a 4 mile drive from the one end of pool st right in town to campus... not really that bad, plus you're closer to hannaford's, wal-mart, etc.

i'm another MS1 and i agree with jon ... living in biddeford is perfectly fine and in many ways better. streets and driveways in town are usually plowed better, houses are more winterized (i.e. cheaper to heat), and many of them have heat included in the rent price. also, they are considerably cheaper to rent overall. while you don't have the fantastic ocean view in town, you're also generally not paying $300 a month to heat a beautiful ocean front home with energy inefficient windows. and i'll tell you, there is no one at UNE who is missing out on time at the beach (even those of us who live in town.)

good luck with the housing search, and feel free to contact us for any questions. we can't wait to meet you all in august :)

j.

Ok, here is my random question for the week. You know how everyone says that (or at least what I heard) UNECOM has the second best anatomy program in the country? Where exactly do you find stats like this? I'm just curious. Thankkkkks in advance.
Perhaps it is just because UNECOM rocks!
Oh, yes, might I also add...3 months and COUNTING!!!!!!!!!!
:laugh: ~michelle

well actually we now have the "best" anatomy program in the country. Actually the term best is probably not the most correct term to use... the correct term should be "most comprehensive" anatomy program in the country. Our anatomy program is the longest of any US med school... as far as contact hours. The whole reasoning behind that is the fact that we do TAPP, Head&Neck, plus lower limb and upper limb. A number of other schools do only TAPP and H&N, and possibly either lower or upper limb, but not both. That would be my take it

docmz said:
Oh, yes, might I also add...3 months and COUNTING!!!!!!!!!!
:laugh: ~michelle
If only you knew what you are wishing upon yourself. :eek:

mcandy said:
If only you knew what you are wishing upon yourself. :eek:
I agree with andy... two words pterygopalatine fossa! ;) looking forward to meeting everyone :)

oh, but if you only knew what i was doing right now....haha.
bring it on :p have a great weekend!!!!

I am now trying to figure out when to go up! What are the rest of you guys thinking? I know Orientation starts July 31st, but do you think it's too late if I don't move up until @ July 21? I wanted to get going between the 6th and the 11th, but my family is like NO! you'll be sitting around bored for 2 weeks. I highly doubt that, BUT I don't want to miss any "getting to know you" stuff at UNE. I am wondering if there are any pre-orientation activities?
Any ideas? Thanks a lot guys. And all those tortured by finals this week :eek: like me... GOOD LUCK. :luck:

Momo

Hi! i'm moving based on when I can move into an apartment (which I don't have yet). I have to be out of my place here on July 1st so my plan is to move up to Maine then. I don't see any prob with moving up the 21st though, its still 10 days before orientation and we'd still have time to all meet up :luck:

momo7430 said:
I am now trying to figure out when to go up! What are the rest of you guys thinking? I know Orientation starts July 31st, but do you think it's too late if I don't move up until @ July 21? I wanted to get going between the 6th and the 11th, but my family is like NO! you'll be sitting around bored for 2 weeks. I highly doubt that, BUT I don't want to miss any "getting to know you" stuff at UNE. I am wondering if there are any pre-orientation activities?
Any ideas? Thanks a lot guys. And all those tortured by finals this week :eek: like me... GOOD LUCK. :luck:

Momo

hey - about coming up early - i'm your neighbor, momo, and i'll be here
all summer. i moved here 2 weeks early last year and that seemed good
for me. my experience is that students start trickling in around July 1st
and start pouring in a week before orientation starts. it's beautiful here
in July, though, so if you come early you certainly won't be bored. let
me know when you're coming, and i'll help you carry stuff into your apt.

allison

Thanks Allison, by the way... nice picture with the lobster on Pipeline. LOL.

I don't really think I'll be bored at all, I think my mom is just having seperation anxiety. (So am I) :oops:

I let you guys know when I have a definite date and I'll be sure to recruit some help carrying stuff up. :D I'm wondering how I'm gonna fit up those stairs with boxes, I guess I'll probably have to resort to the back door option.

Maybe I'll skip my finals and just come tomorrow! :clap: I like that idea the best!

Thanks neighbor.
Maureen

:) Hi all! Congrats on your acceptance to UNECOM! We definately are looking forward to meeting you all. My friend is looking for a roommate next year; her current roommate is a second year and is leaving to go on rotations. The apartment is a beautiful two floor condo in Saco, just 10 mins or so from the college. If you are interested please feel free to drop her an email at [email protected]. Jill is her name!
Best of luck and enjoy your summer.
Thanks,
Amanda :luck:

hihi

i'm planning on moving up July 16th. I am planning on taking a little vacation up to Bar Harbor, and spend the rest of the time settling in.

Hi everyone! has anyone else who is moving up to Maine from kind of far (i have a 7+ hour drive) thought about moving trucks, etc...? I found an old thread on SDN that talked about good/bad companies, but I have never rented a moving truck before. Now we have too much stuff and no friends who really want to drive 8hrs w/their trucks :) i don't blame them. anyway, anyone else know of good rental companies or who have one in mind they will use. I heard Penske was good and relatively inexpensive as moving goes. and they do have cool yellow trucks. ha ha.
would love to hear from anyone who has plans, or moved up last year. thanks! see you all soon.

i moved up from baltimore (8+ hours) last year and used a uhaul
trailer. uhaul doesn't always have the best of reputations, but i
had no problems. in fact there's a fairly large uhaul location in
saco that's right on main street, so it's easy to return the truck/
trailer.
one thing i found out is that (at least with uhaul) if you reserve
your truck early you get preferential treatment to those who
reserve last minute. uhaul was also really really cheap.

just my $0.02

allison