***Official UNECOM Class of 2009!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Maureen! (and everyone else)
I def. agree with the packing...we're moving the 1st of july and our apartment is a disaster zone. I am kinda scared about the rafting, but excited too. I have always wanted to try it. Have u sent in a deposit or anything yet? us non-rafting types will have to stick together (and hold on for our lives) :laugh:
So excited to get to Maine!
~shannon

momo7430 said:
Hi Everyone!

Are we getting excited? I know I am. I never knew packing could be considered torture. LOL.
So question, who is doing the rafting trip? I think it looks fun, but a little scary :scared: We'll see. Anyway, hope you all are as stoked as I am and that none of you are dealing with the "Hi, I need all my immunizations again, because my records are MIA". Yes, my arms have been continually sore for the last week and a half because I have every receipt and piece of useless paper I've ever obtained... except my immunization records. What a joy! But I know the pain and suffering will all be worth it.
Well bye bye for now, soon we meet! :D

Maureen

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about rafting, the guides are excellent and will make sure that no one gets too roughed up. The rivers are really powerful though, so it makes for a fantastic trip! It should be a great time, we're going to do the Allagash in mid July, otherwise we'd be in for the rafting trip too.

Regarding immunizations, I was missing some records too but had the clinic do a blood titer for all the required immunizations. Luckily, the only thing I didn't have antibodies for was the MMR vaccine. This saved me from having a number of shots. Furthermore, it saved me some money (the MMR vaccine alone was $40 with insurance), and unnecessary risk of overvaccination.

Members don't see this ad :)
thought this thread could use a little love :love: :love: :love:

Howdy,

I'm a 3rd year student @ UNECOM & have books to sell. Below is a list of books. Note the 2 prices: the first # after the book is the cost used on Amazon. the price after the ";" is my sellling price. I've priced them at least 15% lower than the used price on Amazon. If I'll need to ship them, buyer covers shipping at the exact cost of shipping via media rate USPS.
You'll want to cross reference the books here on the list with the required book list from the school. If you don't have this yet, you can call the student affairs office to request it. They should be able to email you the list.

All the best of luck next year!
James
I can be reached at my UNE email address: [email protected]

Clinicaly oriented Anatomy (Moore & Dalley, 4th edition): 55 (used – amazon) 40

Grant’s Dissector (Sauerland, 12th edition): 7 (practically new)

Embryology, Board Review Series ~ Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (Dudek & Fix, 2nd edition): 10 (used-amazon); 8

Textbook of Medical Physiology (Guyton & Hall, 10th edition): 50 (used – amazon); 42

Physiology (Costanzo, 2nd edition): 89.46 (used-amazon); 75

Physiology, Board Review Series ~ Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (Costanzo, 3rd edition): 26 (used – amazon); 22

Physiology Secrets (Raff, 2nd edition) [Questions & Answers reveal the secrets to understanding Physiology : 18 (used-amazon); 15

Basic Medical Biochemistry, A clinical approach (Marks, Marks, & Smith): 38 (used-amazon); 38 (used-amazon); 32

Biochemistry, Board Review Series ~ Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (Marks, 3rd edition): 14 (used-amazon); 12

Fundamental Neurosience (Haines, 2nd edition): 32 (used-amazon); 27

Pathology, Board Review Series ~ Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (Schneider & Szanto, 2nd edition): 18 (used – amazon); 12

Bates’ Guide to Physical Examination & History Taking, w/ workbook (Bickley, 8th edition): 50 (used –amazon); 42

Immunology for Medical Students: Narin & Helbert, Mosby: 20 (used – amazon); 15

I’m looking into buying student health insurance and was wondering what peoples experiences were with the UNECOM student plan (most expensive- $161/mo), the SOMA plan 1 (less expensive- $116/mo), and the AMSA plan 1 (least expensive- $83/mo).
Any advice/comments are appreciated. Thanks!!

Let me start out by saying it isn't hard and you'll be fine. I assume the trip will be on the Kennebec, which gets easier as it goes along, so even though you get tired from paddling it ends up not mattering.

I went rafting for the first time a few years ago when I moved to Maine. Being the flatlander that I am, I really had no idea what it would entail. All I knew is that a good friend of mine gave me one line of advice: Whatever you do, hang onto your paddle. My reply was, " I have to paddle? What do I hang on with?" The answer is you hang on with a combination of your feet hooked under part of the raft and your ass gripping the seat - a skill that I didn't know I had, and I'm not sure I'm trained to use :)

Anyway, the guides vary from place to place, and within a place. Some are more "wild" than others, and will actually ask the people in your raft if they want to flip the raft or not. Some will "surf" in "holes" created by fast moving water over rocks, which sort of turns the raft into a hot tub. This is fun, but you have to hang onto both the raft (hands, feet and ass) and your paddle while it is happening, creating more work than anticipated. Some play "raft games", which range from a tug of war with a fellow raftmate at the front of the raft, and, well, a range of things. However, all will take your group's opinions seriously and will give you the kind of trip that you are looking for and that you feel comfortable with.

Advice:

1) Don't drop your paddle.

2) Bring a waterproof camera and secure it to your vest with a big rubber band so you can take pictures without disconnecting it.

3) Don't wear cotton or any other fabric that doesn't dry easily, like jeans. The Kennebec gets slow in the second half, and you just kind of float and paddle. YOu'll get really cold with no good way to warm up.

4) Bring something fun to eat that's small. We used to bring grapes, and when we got to the floating part, we would throw them around the raft and try to catch them in our mouths. It's fun, really!

5) Dont' bring it unless you don't mind donating it to the river.

6) If you don't want to get knocked out of the raft accidentally, don't be a "bow shark". If you want to have a good view of others getting knocked out and minimize the amount of splashing, sit in the back next to the guide.

7) Bring extra money so you can buy pictures that the rafting company takes at Magic Falls. Plus there are some unexpected things, like having to pay for a wetsuit top rental (sometimes this is free), something cool at the giftshop, etc.

8) TIP YOUR GUIDES!!!

You are all going to have so much fun - I miss rafting, haven't been since rotations started and can't go this summer since I am "expecting".

If anyone has any questions about UNECOM, feel free to email me anytime. Wish I could help with the insurance questions, but I had private insurance through my husband's work and didn't have to deal with it. Good luck to you all and congrats on getting into UNE!!

bigpinesman said:
Don't worry about rafting, the guides are excellent and will make sure that no one gets too roughed up. The rivers are really powerful though, so it makes for a fantastic trip! It should be a great time, we're going to do the Allagash in mid July, otherwise we'd be in for the rafting trip too.

Thanks for all the great info!

Congrats on getting into UNECOM!!!!
I am sure you have all heard of this before but really enjoy your summer! UNECOM has one of the longest first year medical programs around and we get a very short summer break compared to other medical schools.

Also, if anyone is still looking for all year housing- there is one that is about 1 mile from the school. It has 3 bedrooms , 2 living rooms,2 bathrooms 1 big kitchen and a very lard yard. Landlord is charging $600.00 for each medical student which includes everything but cable/internet and phone. If interested just send me a private reply.

Have a great and relaxing summer!!!!!!! See you in August.

Hi all! Hope everyone's having a great summer so far! ok, to get to the point of this post.lol...Did anyone get the orientation packet/booklist/med supply list yet? it's seems like we've been waiting for ages. :laugh: so much to get, it'd be nice to get at least the supplies before I leave. thanks!!

No, I haven't either. I don't think anyone has. I wrote an email asking COMSA and they said that they...and i quote...hoped to be mailing them this week. We shall see. I agree, I would really like them as well.
Hope everyone is doing well! Good luck to all those moving on the 1st!!
~michelle

UNE2009LMD said:
Hi all! Hope everyone's having a great summer so far! ok, to get to the point of this post.lol...Did anyone get the orientation packet/booklist/med supply list yet? it's seems like we've been waiting for ages. :laugh: so much to get, it'd be nice to get at least the supplies before I leave. thanks!!

You all should skip rafting and come canoeing with pete and I. We are doing thre days and two nights on the moose river in jackman me...mellow, good food, good people. Info should be in your mailing from comsa. It will also be very cheap and maybe even free. shoot me an email with [email protected]

Andy

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump
Bump
Bump

...and here is an extra bump beacuse it is my last day at work! :thumbup:

docmz said:
Bump
Bump
Bump

...and here is an extra bump beacuse it is my last day at work! :thumbup:

Bump
BUMP
BUMP
BUMP I am just bored on sunday morning and don't feel like working on my article.

here's a word to the wise, if they do things like they did last year, they're going to take lots of pictures of you on your first day of orientation... They're going to take your ID picture and a picture that's going to go in a picture directory... you know all those pictures of the orientation leaders on the website (I'm the second person down the list so you can put a face with this username), those were all taken on the first day of orientation. I'm thinking these are the ones that go in the year book also. Just be aware...

Also, I've got some books that I'm selling, (histo, a anatomy atlas, old anatomy dissector-good for use in lab, Netter Flash Cards, pathology book), let me know if you want them and you can swing by and take a look at them sometime before class starts. Hope everyone is having a good summer.

jonb12997 said:
here's a word to the wise, if they do things like they did last year, they're going to take lots of pictures of you on your first day of orientation... They're going to take your ID picture and a picture that's going to go in a picture directory... you know all those pictures of the orientation leaders on the website (I'm the second person down the list so you can put a face with this username), those were all taken on the first day of orientation. I'm thinking these are the ones that go in the year book also. Just be aware...

Also, I've got some books that I'm selling, (histo, a anatomy atlas, old anatomy dissector-good for use in lab, Netter Flash Cards, pathology book), let me know if you want them and you can swing by and take a look at them sometime before class starts. Hope everyone is having a good summer.[/QUOTET

The Orientation picture that they take of you is taken with a white coat on (not yours), and it is indeed the official yearbook picture. It will be in every yearbook until your senior year when you can make your own page. The pictures are terrible - they are taken after you sit on the lawn for a couple hours in this sauna of a tented area listening to Buser and Featherman give speeches. You're all hot and sweaty (it is July, after all), then you have to go inside where its cool, which is nice, but creates more "condensation" on your body and messes up hair that has already settled in the humidity outside. then you put on this less than fresh white coat that others have also put on before you, after standing in a long line thumbing through the little book with synopses on your new classmates, which you will probably stop looking in and start fanning yourself with. THEN, they put you in front of the cheesy blue background and immortalize your face for the yearbook. If you get a chance to look through someone's yearbook, take a look at these pictures! They not only become your yearbook pic, but they are also your ID pic, which must be worn on preceptorships.

Not that I remember what that day way like anyway... :)

15 days and counting.

1 year and 15 days for me.. YEAHhhh

You guys have been silent.. I thought I would bump things with a countdown.

I know, I can't believe only 15 days! :) sdn has been way too silent, i agree. i guess, everyone's addicted to pipeline now which is def a great invention. I can't wait to meet everyone and get acclimated to my new place. i'm excited but scared silly at the same time :laugh:

i have another question to throw out for those who might know---do we need our books/med supplies on the 1st day of class? I'm asking b/c my loans aren't dispersed til the 1st day of class.aug 3rd.. any info would be great! :thumbup:

unfortunetly pipeline is down for the weekend due to the big thunderstorm that moved through here yesterday... the server got fried! enjoy your weekend everyone!!

good. pipeline works now. just found my question already posted! :)

UNE2009LMD said:
I know, I can't believe only 15 days! :) sdn has been way too silent, i agree. i guess, everyone's addicted to pipeline now which is def a great invention. I can't wait to meet everyone and get acclimated to my new place. i'm excited but scared silly at the same time :laugh:

i have another question to throw out for those who might know---do we need our books/med supplies on the 1st day of class? I'm asking b/c my loans aren't dispersed til the 1st day of class.aug 3rd.. any info would be great! :thumbup:

if its any help, since i'm a 1st year too, i'm gonna wait until school to get my stuff. i may get my supplies at the bookstore b/c i've heard that you can get the whole package for $800 and that doesn't sound too bad- plus its UBER-convenient. thats my 2 cents. see you in a few weeks!!! AHK! i'm growing accustomed to my 'beach lying book reading' lifestyle.

Karhu said:
... i may get my supplies at the bookstore b/c i've heard that you can get the whole package for $800 and that doesn't sound too bad- plus its UBER-convenient....

So, you all can buy your medical equipment and books once you get to school. The bookstore has everything that you need and there will probably be some 2nd and 3rd years selling some of their used books. Don't stress about it all too much. If you really feel like you need to start studying or begin a gunner reputation you could order your books online. (I mean that with sarcasm and a smile)

There is a lot of info that will be covered during orientation. The only thing I would bring or get before classes start would be some old scrubs and shoes for anatomy lab. Most of us wore old sneakers and really cheap (i.e. Wal-Mart) scrubs. You won't need the scrubs until the 1st day of real classes (Aug. 3rd) and you can partake in the annual Post-Gross toast burning of the scrubs in December.

Good luck in these last couple of weeks before the hell, I mean classes begin. :) (Again, I mean that with sarcasm and a smile)

thanks Karhu and Docbannister for the info :) can't believe yr 1 is almost here. the countdown almost ends! :thumbup:

Anyone planning on doing one of the trips. We are planning to go on the Moose River canoe trip, it looks really fun. Anyone heard any details about these trips?

Hi all! so, just a question...do we really need the eyewear that one of the fundraisers is selling??? I think it was the EM club. if its something we need for anatomy i'd be happy to buy from them, but wanted to find out from people who know :D
thanks!

irishlaydi said:
Hi all! so, just a question...do we really need the eyewear that one of the fundraisers is selling??? I think it was the EM club. if its something we need for anatomy i'd be happy to buy from them, but wanted to find out from people who know :D
thanks!

When I was there, each pod in the anatomy lab had drawers with used goggles in them. Hank (the diener) has probably 100 pairs of goggles that have been abandoned over the years.

The first day or two are orientation. You don't need anything except a pen.

The 2nd years will probably continue the tradition of "orienting" you to your new classes with little sessions on which books are most useful, etc. Wait until these sessions to buy your books.

You definitely don't need your medical equipment the first day.

Cops like to hang out along Pool St. (The road to the school from Biddeford) Alot of people get tickets the first week, seems to happen every year. Just so you know.

DO NOT BUY YOUR EQUIPMENT FROM THE UNE BOOKSTORE!!!! I can not stress this enough. You can buy it online (I recomend allheart.com) for much cheaper. I spent about $525 for the EXACT SAME (make and model) equipment that the bookstore sold for like $825 or so. And dont worry if you dont have it by the start of classes. We did not begin using anything until well over a month, maybe even two months after the start. And you can always share with someone else.

Also, DO NOT BUY ALL OF THE BOOKS ON YOUR REQUIRED BOOK LIST. You dont need half of them. Wait a few weeks and see what you need.

Good luck, see you all soon.

Couple things for you...

before you buy your books look at:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/Report.asp?U=103746790750

next:
Scrubs at Wal-mart = $12 for top, $12 for bottom...
Scrubs at bookstore with UNE logo = $12 for top, $12 for bottom
Scrubs at allheart.com = $9.99 for top AND bottom

in other words, get your scrubs from allheart.com, and order them pretty soon so they'll be here in time for school to start, you're gonna burn them at the end of the year anyway...

Also, make sure to buy the AMSA test book that is being advertised, it's SO worth the money...

Hey everyone, sorry this is just a copy of the email I sent out to the emails that we have on file... but I just wanted to get this info to you (pipeline is not working and that is really annoying me...) anyway, take a look at this, and pass it on to anyone that you know. Thanks!!
Are you guys enjoying the Maine weather?? Well, I bet you didn't know that we have a whole day planned for spouses, fiancees, and other significant others of you first year medical students on the Monday of orientation. A group of second years have been working to put together a whole day of introducing your significant others to medical school. We're going to have presentations about the school and things available to them, some information about your four years here, an introduction to osteopathic medicine, a tour of a school, and some married med students, and some of their partners will be there to answer questions and give advice.

I know this seems to be last minute, but I've been trying to wait for pipeline to come back up, and it doesn't seem like that is going to happen any time soon, oh well... However, we do need to get a number to know how many people to plan for, so if your fiance(e), spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend, etc. is going to be in the area and is not working on Monday and would like come (kids are welcome to come too), please feel free to let either myself or the student affairs office know. The best way would be to email me at jbausman @gwi.net (or jbausman @pipeline.une.edu once it is up and working again) or give me a call at my house (leave a message if I'm not home). They will eat breakfast with us on Monday morning and then when you guys all head to your orientation events, they will break off to come with me and the rest of the team.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this event. Hope you guys have a great week leading up to orientation. We're REALLY excited to meet all of you and your significant others next week.

Hey-what day do you MSI/MSII's start class? Mon Aug 1st I'm guessing? Reason I ask is I plan to set up shop in 'ol Alfond to hawk some books.

Let me know! :)

NMH2001 said:
Hey-what day do you MSI/MSII's start class? Mon Aug 1st I'm guessing? Reason I ask is I plan to set up shop in 'ol Alfond to hawk some books.

Let me know! :)

actual classes start Aug.3rd, orientation for the couple days before that. we'll be watching for you :D thanks for letting us know!

Is anyone planning to live in Portland this year, has anyone in the past? Can anyone speak to whether this is a good or bad idea during the first year? What specific problems could arise living that far away? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

The reason I ask is because my girlfriend will most likely be working in the Portland area, not to mention that I prefer Portland to Biddeford. I just want to make sure that I'm not making a huge mistake being that far away. I have to choose sometime tomorrow between Saco Island or West End of Portland.

tupelodoc said:
Is anyone planning to live in Portland this year, has anyone in the past? Can anyone speak to whether this is a good or bad idea during the first year? What specific problems could arise living that far away? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

The reason I ask is because my girlfriend will most likely be working in the Portland area, not to mention that I prefer Portland to Biddeford. I just want to make sure that I'm not making a huge mistake being that far away. I have to choose sometime tomorrow between Saco Island or West End of Portland.

This has been discussed before if you do a search. I lived in Portland during 1st and 2nd years, and never wished I lived closer. It's really not that far. I had classmates who lived in Newburyport, MA, Portsmouth, NH, Georgetown, MA, Brunswick, ME, etc. and their commutes were much worse than mine, and they were fine too.

I agree w/DocOc. I also lived in South Portland for years 1& 2 and honestly, doorstep to doorstep the travel time was 35mins. Traffic was rarely a hassle, and it's a pretty straight trip on the 'ol Turnpike. Plus, I don't plan on relocating for this year and next which is also a plus.

Trust me, at the end of the day you are going to want to get away from Alfond, Biddeford, and other students-just to keep your sanity. Plus whenever you want to go out and have a good time, Portland is right on your doorstep. hope this helps!

i've got some used books... drop me a PM

Rohen Color Atlas of Anatomy 5th Edition (current atlas choice)
Amazon.com Used Price: $50
Bookstore Used Price: $51.75
MY PRICE: $40 – has some highlighting

Grant’s Dissector 12th Edition
(one edition old – good for using in lab)
Barnes and Noble Used Price: $37.46
MY PRICE: $15

Bloom and Fawcett’s Concise Histology 2nd Edition (current text)
Cheapest Froogle Used Price: $36.04
Bookstore Used Price: $32.00
MY PRICE: $20

Wheater’s Functional Histology 4th Edition (current atlas)
Barnes and Noble Used Price: $47.25
Bookstore Used Price: $48.75
MY PRICE: $35

Wheater’s Basic Histopathology 4th Edition –
use for Pathology lab in Spring
Barnes and Noble Used Price: $46.98
MY PRICE: $40 – in perfect shape

Netter’s Anatomy Flash Cards
Barnes and Noble New Price: $34.95
MY PRICE: $25 – has some highlighting on back of cards

I guess it is time to wish all of you class of 2009 good luck!

You guys must be so hyped. Orientation starts in a couple of days and then CLASSES :0

See you next year.. but I will have to start the class of 2010 soon.

docb

I've seen the MS-I test schedule... at least you guys don't have Anatomy and Histo together this year... :)

docbill said:
Hi Guys,
How is it going?
Some info about how your feeling... overwelmed... not as bad as you thought... or just okay. Have fun.

Talk about leaving me hanging!!!! I thought I would at least get something.. not the silent treatment.

docbill said:
Talk about leaving me hanging!!!! I thought I would at least get something.. not the silent treatment.

DocBill:

My guess is that everyone is busy right now. I could smell the lovely odors of preservatives in the men's room, so my guess is that anatomy has them rocking and rolling.

Wook

Hi :) we survived our 1st anatomy exam!!!
(more soon)

docbill said:

irishlaydi said:
Hi :) we survived our 1st anatomy exam!!!
(more soon)

CONGRATULATIONS C/O 2009!! :hardy:

you're on your way! :thumbup:

wook said:
gioia:

You gotta show that avatar to Dr. Norton!!

Wook

Hi Wook! (How are rotations?)

Thanks for noticing.

You know, this is funny: for all of my creative attempts to personalize my avatar (godzilla running rampant through a garden, 1960's sitcoms, a custom parasite, etc..) I was meandering through WebCT one day, explored Dr. Norton's website, and came to the understanding that, "Life really does take MOXIE!". It spoke to me. Becoming a physician is all about MOXIE... I have to have MOXIE!!

... and so, I borrowed his photo... and embraced the best thing there is about Maine (besides cool landscapes, lighthouses, LL Bean, and cheap seafood):MOXIE!!!!

:)

gioia said:
Hi Wook! (How are rotations?)

Thanks for noticing.

You know, this is funny: for all of my creative attempts to personalize my avatar (godzilla running rampant through a garden, 1960's sitcoms, a custom parasite, etc..) I was meandering through WebCT one day, explored Dr. Norton's website, and came to the understanding that, "Life really does take MOXIE!". It spoke to me. Becoming a physician is all about MOXIE... I have to have MOXIE!!

... and so, I borrowed his photo... and embraced the best thing there is about Maine (besides cool landscapes, lighthouses, LL Bean, and cheap seafood):MOXIE!!!!

Are you adopting the philosophy that you are a "Moxie Lady"?! (You can sing it to the tune by Jimi Hendrix).

Wook

wook said:
Are you adopting the philosophy that you are a "Moxie Lady"?! (You can sing it to the tune by Jimi Hendrix).

Wook

What a cooooool thought - maybe life really has meaning afterall because once upon a time, I was a musician, and that was a fav of mine to perform!! (anything hendrix is cool).

BTW: We have 4 'subaru' tires for you if you want them: 30,000 miles and in good shape. The Boss wanted me to pass the message on to you!!

gioia said:
What a cooooool thought - maybe life really has meaning afterall because once upon a time, I was a musician, and that was a fav of mine to perform!! (anything hendrix is cool).

BTW: We have 4 'subaru' tires for you if you want them: 30,000 miles and in good shape. The Boss wanted me to pass the message on to you!!

Gioia:

Thanks for thinking of us!! I'll relay the info to the Boss (not Bruce).

Wook

Hey 2009ires

Its been one months. From the "sound" of it you guys are wiped out.

Just 9 month left and MS1 is up!!!

If anyone has any advice or comments to prepare me for next year. Please PM or post. good luck

wow, it's been ages since i've been on sdn. as an ms1----i'm soo busy--it's unbelievable. just had 1st gross exam 2wks ago, embryo exam last fri...now histo on tues and gross exam2 on fri. they're bombarding us w/ exams. don't do anything---just relax b/c when you start, you'll study all the time. enjoy your time off! :)