***Official UNECOM Class of 2009!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docbill

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to START a UNECOM class of 2009 Thread.

I was accepted in Oct.2004 and withdrew all other COM applications.
UNECOM is my first choice.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL APPLICANTS.

Don't forget UNECOM ROCKS :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I am now officialy admitted to UNECOM. YEAHhhhhhh... It will take a while for it to actually sink in. Are there proper celebrating procedures. Is it like awards.

" I would like to thank my mom, my dad, and God, and my brain.... for getting me this far... how far can I really go... "

docbill said:
I am now officialy admitted to UNECOM. YEAHhhhhhh... It will take a while for it to actually sink in. Are there proper celebrating procedures. Is it like awards.

" I would like to thank my mom, my dad, and God, and my brain.... for getting me this far... how far can I really go... "

Proper celebrating procedures: Gather with friends or family, consume excessive Ethanol and enjoy.

Edit: Oh, and don't worry too much about getting straight A's for the remainder of undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks will do.
TOo badd I actually have to work hard to finish my grad degree.
Oh well it will be worth it.
BA

I am all alone... no one in here to celebrate with me...
Oh well.. I will have imaginary SDN friends.

ok now that i found the correct thread i too will celebrate with you! have you decided to go to UNECOM?

docbill said:
I am all alone... no one in here to celebrate with me...
Oh well.. I will have imaginary SDN friends.

Congradulations.
YES MAAM.. sure did.

I just found out.. and I am 95% sure. Unless something goes terribly wrong. Murphey's law.

How about you?

I guess that is a Yes.

I am finally not talking to my self in here.

Yes, I am definately going. This is my second year applying ( I was put on the accept space available list last year) and UNECOM has been my first choice ever since. Now all I need to do is find the deposit...but, that will be done in time. I love the school and CAN NOT WAIT to go!!!!
:)

docbill said:
Congradulations.
YES MAAM.. sure did.

I just found out.. and I am 95% sure. Unless something goes terribly wrong. Murphey's law.

How about you?

I guess that is a Yes.

I am finally not talking to my self in here.

I agree.. I felt the same way when I went to visit.
The students where great.. and the profs kind too.

But actually it is the Ocean that sold me.. and all the trees. hehehe
Good and healthy non-competitive environment. Where they want everyone to graduate and do well. Students are down to earth... and friendly.

I did not get to see portland.. Unfotunately. I will plan a visit and tour.
BA

UNECOM looks like a nice school, plus the ocean is right there. Could anyone tell me what are the typical living expenses in the area? Thanks :D

congrates everyone, cost of living... I pay $600/mnth for a 1 bedroom with heat/hotwater included (I'm married so I don't have any roommates to split the cost with)... home phone runs you about $45 for a basic plan from verizon, don't have time for cable but I think it's about $40 a month, cable internet is like another 30 if you get it with the cable TV, gas is right about 1.90 right now (cheaper than boston, more expensive than some other places). that' being said, it's a great place to live, outside of the busy city (not UHSCOM), but still closer to stuff than being at WVSOM... enjoy your fall!

jonb12997 said:
congrates everyone, cost of living... I pay $600/mnth for a 1 bedroom with heat/hotwater included (I'm married so I don't have any roommates to split the cost with)... home phone runs you about $45 for a basic plan from verizon, don't have time for cable but I think it's about $40 a month, cable internet is like another 30 if you get it with the cable TV, gas is right about 1.90 right now (cheaper than boston, more expensive than some other places). that' being said, it's a great place to live, outside of the busy city (not UHSCOM), but still closer to stuff than being at WVSOM... enjoy your fall!

Thanks for the info... we will be depending on present students to guide our class.

We are UNEVERGs :thumbup: .. since there are only two of us so far. That will be our new name. (I am guessing everyone can figure out the name).

Unless someone else can come up with something better. That name will PASS.

jonb12997 said:

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
yposhelley said:
UNECOM looks like a nice school, plus the ocean is right there.:D

The ocean does have that kind of effect! :D

There is a beautiful hike by UNE that runs along the coast. It's called the East Point Preserve.

CONGRATULATIONS!!
:luck:

Congrats to all those in the new UNECOM class! If you have any questions about clinicals or anything feel free to ask!

I paid $550/month for a one bedroom apt. and lived there for both of my 1st two years. that include heat, electricity, hot water, and cable! Not bad...and less than 2 miles from school.

Good luck to you all and congrats!

Shannon M., MSIII
UNECOM 2006

Hi Guys... Thanks for information.

I am glad to see I am not alone on here. hehehe.
Soon more people will start hearing back from the last batch of interviews.

Then we can party.
Gioia and Shannon thanks for participating, you can be our god mothers :)
BA

docbill said:
Gioia and Shannon thanks for participating, you can be our god mothers :)
BA

No Problem!! If you have any Q's, there are a few us always looking to chat w/ UNErs and UNECOM hopefuls :) on SDN. It really helps to have feedback - I know it helped me!

FYI: UNE's White Coat Ceremony is a bit later than some: we have ours tonight. The Dean told us that receiving our white coats would be more meaningful after we have 'cut our teeth' and survived the first few rounds of exams. It's true. Now that we have a little taste of what we prepared for (college, MCAT, apps.) and what it's like to be 'on the other side', the white coat reception is much more meaningful.

You picked a good school!!

Take care...

Hey guys, I just got my letter. I interviewed on saturday, I already knew I was in from an email from Lisa, but its official today. I'm in! It feels so good.

To all the MS1's good luck, have fun at the white coat ceremony tonight.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Thanks guys... I am excited.

WOW.. today the coat ceromony.

BTW.. I just withdrew my application to AZCOM and KCOM... still to come NSUCOM and others.

ANyone else out there with new letters of acceptance. I got my official letter in the mail today (before that I knew by email).

BA

PublicEnemy said:
Hey guys, I just got my letter. I interviewed on saturday, I already knew I was in from an email from Lisa, but its official today. I'm in! It feels so good.

To all the MS1's good luck, have fun at the white coat ceremony tonight.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Excellent!

Are you a definit UNEVERG.. or still shopping. I AM OFCOURSE.

BA

UNE, unless I hear from my state school. I only applied to 4 schools.

Loved it up there though, so nice. great facilities, building, incredible OMM lab, anatomy is great there.

:) WOO HOO! First, I want to congratulate all those accepted to UNECOM's class of 2009!!! Also, I'd like to give moral support for those awaiting the interview. You'll do fine!!!!! This is definitely my top choice and I've decided to withdraw a couple of apps..like I know I don't want to be in the west coast...too far! At first, I was vying for PCOM but I haven't heard a darn freakin' thing from them!!!

I interviewed at UNECOM 2 wks ago and fell in love w/ the campus and people! The campus is GORGEOUS and the students are so friendly. It's definitely a caring/supportive environment and residency obtainments are top notch!!! I cannot wait to go to orientation to meet all of you fellow UNECOM 2009ers! awww yeah! :) [/
SIZE]

LOVE LIFE. LIVE LOVE. UNECOM c/0 2009.
Future MS-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks so much for all the great information!! i get so excited reading these posts!! have a great time at the white coat ceremony and perhaps we should tell YOU congratulations!!

Hey UNEVERGs where are you from...
I will start.. from Vancouver doing my PhD in Toronto.
Name is doc Bill.

Hello... anyyyyonnneeeee

all of us 2008ers are either recovering from our white coat ceremony ;) or are studying hard for next weeks test... histo next friday, anatomy next monday... :-O

jonb12997 said:
all of us 2008ers are either recovering from our white coat ceremony ;) or are studying hard for next weeks test... histo next friday, anatomy next monday... :-O

Hey JonB,

You forgot Live Anatomy on Wednesday and the memorization of OPP techniques!!! :) :) Quick: Show me the Pica Semilunaris and Cricoid Membrane.... :D

DocBill: As much as I love UNE, I must point out the statistics: UNECOM has one of the smallest 2008 Class Threads represented on SDN. This does not mean UNECOM students are introverts, exactly- there are, most likely, other prefered methods of communication among students. But it does mean you might be the 2009 SDN class thread 'keeper'. ;)

I also got into UNE!! So far it looks like I will be attending, but I still have quite a few interviews left. I'm not sure any school can impress me the way UNE did, but I would feel cheated if I didn't at least see my other options.

DOCbill, Im sure there are others like me, who have been accepted and are not sure if they will matriculate, so they are not responding in this thread..
To play along, Im finishing my undergrad in southern california

gioia said:
You forgot Live Anatomy on Wednesday and the memorization of OPP techniques!!! :) :) Quick: Show me the Pica Semilunaris and Cricoid Membrane.... :D

OH man, I forgot about live anatomy... :eek: anyway, we also use email to communicate quite a bit... plus we're in class together a lot, and Joe (our class president) does a good job at communicating with us with announcements right before class... who knows if your class will be different though, I guess it all depends on your leadership...

Hey guys... how does it feel to have your white coats. Thanks for the info, I know you guys have lots of participation in class and in your building. That is one of the cool things about UNECOM. I especially like the pictures of everyone posted on the wall, incase you forget the names. hehehe.

I know it is slow on here now.. but there is still over 9 month left before class starts.
Most people have decisions to make.. always go with your gut feeling. I don't mind if you are undecided. At least we get to make some new friends. YOu know future DOs knowing each others.

I am really happy I got UNECOM.

BTW.. did anyone else catch nip tuck last night... Wierd $hit.
BTW2... the family guy is coming back... yeahhhhhhhhh.
BTW3... I won't have time to watch it for the next 4 years... but I will get the DVD.

DocBill-your post is too long. Please paraphrase. :laugh: Just kidding. Congrats on your UNECOM acceptance :D

yeah i'm really excited about my UNECOM acceptance as well.

i had serious reservations about whether i was going to get in anywhere, and its such a relief to get in so early and at such a great school. i'm surprised i was able to turn everything around so quickly.

Things that really impressed me:
1. hands down the best secondary application - completely online, no errors, no glitches.
2. friendly staff with Lisa and James
3. completely stress-free interview
4. beautiful facilities, nice building
5. awesome OMM lab
6. exceptional anatomy program
7. beautiful campus, with undergraduate facilities
8. saco river/atlantic ocean/beaches
9. quick, quick turnaround times
10. friendliest, happiest students

i don't know about everyone else, but i definitely catch myself completely getting psyched at random times during the day saying out loud, i'm going to be a doctor. hard to believe, still hasn't sunken in. love it.

oh, i'm from nj.

Publicenemy #1... I agree with youu... point 0-10...
Yeahhhhh I can actually ask people now if they "want to play student doctor" ;)

Yeah, I, too, have random bouts of excitement..suddenly realizing I'm going to be a physician. :) Last Fri, a couple of my friends held a celebration for me and when some asked, "What kind of medicine do you wanna enter?" , did it finally hit me! I'm still in grad school..1 yr left so now it's about relaxing, doing well still, but not stressing out so much! Yay! :) :)

hello hello...just thought i would post my stats too.
i am working at the institute for cardiovascular research (part of suny upstate medical university) in syracuse, ny. i just finished my undergrad at St. Lawrence University in May and have been working here ever since. Knowing that I will be headed to Maine next summer makes me really antsy for this year to flyyyyyy by.
ciao!

Wow so many of us with research experience. I also do Cardiovascular research... well to be more specific Cardiac Therapy. I will finish what I can over the next 9 month but completely finished, I dought that. We can eventually run the new research center they want to build.. hehehe.

I heard it is getting kind of chilly there right about now. Yuks... it is getting chilly in Toronto as well. I don't think I am ready for that yet.

This will be my first year with lost pounds... little meat to warm me up.

Hi All
Welcome to the UNECOM community! I am so excited to meet you all. My name is Janelle and I am a first year this year. I remember posting on the class of 2008 board! Best of luck to you all and please feel free to email me with any questions at [email protected]. Good luck and Relax!

Janelle

hey everyone ...

just wanted to congratulate you all on getting into UNE and making the wise decision to come here :) it's a fantastic program and i love it here. enjoy your free time before you get out here and if you have any questions, shout any of us MS1s a holler. (i'm a california girl, so if anyone has concerns/doubts about moving to maine from out of state, feel free to pick my brain!)

input on rent: i live with two other MS1s and together we pay $975 a month, with ALL utilities included for a fantastic 3 bedroom place in biddeford. my $325 share is about 1/2 of what i used to pay to share a room out west, so needless to say, i'm thrilled with the housing out here.

back to the books ...

so, now that my next four years have been decided and i'm headed to UNE, i'm starting to feel pitty for all of the poor souls out there waiting for mcat scores from august. i too took the mcat in august, and yes am interested to see what i got (not that it really matters), but some of the posts sound like they are going to die! sorry, just found it kinda funny. anyway, it is freakin' cold in syracuse today...almost time to break out the hat. last night we started a fire...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :cool:

POOORRR MCATERSSS.. I know a few people that lost their nails already.

Yeah it is chilly now. 2 Layers for sure. We had 4'C this morning... = x9/5 +32 for F, or something like that lets just say ~42F. I hope we don't get any snow till after Halloween.

Thanks Jamarra and Sweet J for the help. I am sure that our questions will become more and more detailed as time gets closer. Now if I can only find the 500$ for deposit.

Congrats to everyone going to UNECOM nexy year. I am a UNECOM MSIII currently in Watertown, NY doing my rotations. Any one who was any questions let me know and I would be happy to see if I can fill you in. my email is [email protected]. I truely feel you will get an excellent education and the area is a great place to be. and to everyone accepted to any school congrats on the commitment and good luck in your first year.:thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks Stable,asystole... How are rotation going?
I guess it is really different then taking classes.

BTW.. ANY NEW TAKERS.
When are you guys submitting your 500$ deposit?

i am going to wait until late november to send it in..mostly because 60 days after they receive the 500 they want 1000 more...so the later i wait...the later the 1000 is due. :)

docbill said:
Thanks Stable,asystole... How are rotation going?
I guess it is really different then taking classes.

BTW.. ANY NEW TAKERS.
When are you guys submitting your 500$ deposit?

just a quick question for the MSIII. I grew up in Watertown, NY and never imagined a possible rotation site to be there! Anyway, how do you like it? Would you recommend it? Also, I know Watertown can be a little drab so have you ever been out to Sackets Harbor? It isn't far...maybe 20 mins. and there is a great place to eat there called Good Fellows.
Take care!

Stable said:
Congrats to everyone going to UNECOM nexy year. I am a UNECOM MSIII currently in Watertown, NY doing my rotations. Any one who was any questions let me know and I would be happy to see if I can fill you in. my email is [email protected]. I truely feel you will get an excellent education and the area is a great place to be. and to everyone accepted to any school congrats on the commitment and good luck in your first year.:thumbup: :thumbup:

hey what are you guys interested in doing? are you guys drawn to any particular specialty?

i know its quite early, but when's a good time to start thinking about places to live?

I want to be all I can be..

PublicEnemy#5, I don't know if you where asking new students or people already in.

I am going to be a Clinician Scientist. What specialty.. I don't know yet, it all depends on rounds. Since most of my training is on Cardiology and Cardiovascular science... I don't know if I will drift far away from that.. but then again.. ENT can take my breath away.. hehehe.

BA

Watertown is a great site for rotations. The Med ed dept really works to get us lots of interesting speakers. They bend over backwards to make us comfortable, and I feel like we are treated like first year residents not 3rd year medical students. We get a lot of face time with the attendings who are mostly very interested in teaching and are good at it. I will have plenty of experiance to bring with me when I am doing my audition rotations at my residency choices.

From what I learned from my student host.. when I interviewed.. and many of his friends. Lots of students attending UNECOM live on the street next to the University. The area is called Biddford pool. It is a mile or so road (hill street, I think)... same one the university is on. The only downside of this is that some places are summer rentals, so you can't move in till end of summer and have to move out.

There is also listings on the UNE website for housing.

I will, hopefully, be sharring a two bedroom house or Cabin or whatever you call them with someone. Unless I don't find anyone that is as clean as me.

Rent varies.. see the UNE website listings. I am sure someone will find it and post it.. I am too lazy right now.. hehehe.

BA