Official UNECOM class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Everyone :) ... I can't believe how many of you have been using this... I am so excited. It seems like it takes forever to get through everything that everyone has written. My name is Sarah and I too an excited to be a part of the Official class of 2008!!! I would like to set up some sort of organized list of everyone's info if you guys want. I know there are a lot of us and we are all in different places (I'm in AZ...) I would be willing to put together a list of everyone's names, email address, home towns.. hobbies... aim screen names... anything that you all can think of. I know someone started a website too, but maybe this will be helpful... I am also using the pipeline as a center for info transfer. My email address is [email protected] and my aim screen name is DocBannister (ya think i'm excited :D ) Okay... well let me know what ya'all think ~

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Sarah! I think that's a great idea! I emailed you....

Kelley :)

Hello All! As well, I will join you in Biddeford late July! So pumped. My husband and I were just in the area looking for housing. We ended up finding a great apt. in the West End of Portland. Didn't think we'd be in Portland but the bonuses of life there far outweigh the 20-25 minute commute. We found Biddeford/Saco area to be really depressed and not much of a community for extracurricular stuff. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. As well, for my husband, it will open his job opportunites being close to Portland. We did find a great spot in Bar Mills...country home, 2nd floor, porch, yard, 2 bdrm, farm house. Very cute...just too out of the loop for us for now. But if any of you want the info I'll send it along. It was about 25-30 min to UNE.

Well, just thought I'd touch base and introduce myself. Can't wait for the fun to begin! Yeee-haw!

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to all of you newbies to SDN! I'm so excited to be meeting you all! My name is Janelle for those who haven't muddled throught the 400 and something postings :) I'm coming from RI but my birthplace is MA ( GO RED SOX!!!) Anyhow if you are looking to chat my aol name is smiler669. Talk to you all soon!!!!

Janelle

Wow, this is awesome guys!

I'm moving up to Biddo. this weekend... and realized that I have to paint over semigloss walls --- through the entire house :mad: ...

Anyone interested in a painting party ;) ?

I can't believe this, but I actually have more books than clothes.... and I worked in clothing retail!!!

greetings to all!

I will be joining this fall as well, looking through the posts, it seems as if half of the class is already in touch...that's great, just reinforces some of the things which drew me to UNE in the first place. Anyhow, I will be moving up from NYC in July, and like everyone else, I'm interested in finding housing and potential roomates...some questions...
1. What is the maximum rent one can expect to (fairly) pay?
2. Are apts with heat included a common thing, as they obviously are much more cost effective.
3. Is the commute from Portland difficult, especially in winter?

again, it's great to see that we have a class that is already becoming a family, i'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hi class of 2008,
Thank you all for replying so promptly. I will look in surrounding areas for short term lease. I wanted to let you guys know that I have three kids ages 14, 10 and 2 years. They will live with my husband in NJ while I pursue my dream of becoming a doctor. Eventhough, I am excited to start in July one part of me is very sad to leave my family. Are there anybody else who are in my situation so that we can chat.
Thanks again guys! :) :laugh:

Wow! Look at all the new faces! :D Welcome aboard! So glad you could join the SDN family!

Anyone else finishing off their last year of undergrad?! Two finals and one paper to go... :rolleyes:

-sandiflipflops

Just had my last ever college lecture this morning... Yeaaaa....

Three finals and a poster presentation to go. 8 Days until I am officially done with college, and only 18 Days until Graduation... :eek:

Hey! I am living in Portland and I did the drive during traffic hours this weekend and it took 23 minutes to get to campus. I think in the winter it shouldn't change much because if it snows, the highways will be plowed first. I'm up for car-pooling too, if you end up in Portland.

Welcome everyone! I look forward to meeting you all. If you have AOL feel free to IM me at kmwmorris19. Is anyone out there from Florida too?

Kelley :D

hey kelley,

i'm originally from fla, ormond beach. not too far from your neck of the woods as a matter of fact.
i should be travelling down there in a couple of weeks to pick up a car from the family, is it hot yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
christine,

23 mins is not terribly bad, coming from new york will be a breeze. I have a 1 hour commute now(by train), 1.5 to 3 by car.
where in portland do you live?

Hey,
Mike here. Heard you were looking for roomies and a place? I'm in the same boat.... And dont want to wait too long. Lemme know whats going on, if you're interested and whatnot.... Welcome....

Hi Kudzu,
Found a great place in the West end...our favorite part of the city of what we saw this weekend...3 blocks from Maine Med, cute cafes, etc....close enough to walk to Old Port (shopping, music, bars), but far enough away from the noise and bustle. If you end up in Portland, I'd love to car pool.

Hello all,

Just so you guys know, there will be a class 0f 2008 directory that you will get, probably by mail or at orientation, i forget which. You just have to fill out that form you get in the mail with some other orientation stuff (because you don't have enough of those :)
) and add a picture. You all are very eager to start aren't ya? Well, as a first year, all i can tell you is ENJOY YOURSELF RIGHT NOW!!! Have fun beofre you have to move up here, do something mindless, see friends and family, get away if you can, because once you start, your time is very limited. See you guys in a few months ;)

DocBannister said:
Hi Everyone :) ... I can't believe how many of you have been using this... I am so excited. It seems like it takes forever to get through everything that everyone has written. My name is Sarah and I too an excited to be a part of the Official class of 2008!!! I would like to set up some sort of organized list of everyone's info if you guys want. I know there are a lot of us and we are all in different places (I'm in AZ...) I would be willing to put together a list of everyone's names, email address, home towns.. hobbies... aim screen names... anything that you all can think of. I know someone started a website too, but maybe this will be helpful... I am also using the pipeline as a center for info transfer. My email address is [email protected] and my aim screen name is DocBannister (ya think i'm excited :D ) Okay... well let me know what ya'all think ~

Thanks for the advice Ed! I'll definitely do something "mindless" before moving up there! :thumbup:

Have a fantastic weekend everyone!!! :D

i'm originally from fla, ormond beach. not too far from your neck of the woods as a matter of fact.
i should be travelling down there in a couple of weeks to pick up a car from the family, is it hot yet?

Hey KUDZU,

Small world.... I used to live in Ormond Beach! It's been in the 80's, mild @ night- not too bad!

:luck:

ain't hidin' but i am bored out of my mind. :sleep:

i'm ready for july!!!

Allison

Hey, I learned how to sheet rock this past weekend! My future sister in law and her husband bought a new house and I helped them put in a new ceiling (sometimes I wish I was like 2 inches taller :rolleyes: ).... anyway, between that and trying to finish up my senior year, haven't had a lot of time to do other stuff. Although come wednesday at 1:00 I'll have finished my last biochem test and I'll be done college!!! (only to start it all up again in july)... Catch everyone later! :)

Jon

hey all,

Don't know if you guys got orientation info yet, but as an orientation leader i can tell you that we are trying to plan a pre-orientation white water rafting trip for 7/22 -7/23 (thursday and friday). It's an overnight camping trip, and everyone that went on it last year raves about it. It should be lots of fun. I just wanted to maybe get an approximate of how many people would be interested in order to make a reservation, so if anyone is interested, let me know ASAP. Reply or send me a PM. See you guys soon! :D

I am definitly in!!!! I love water and rafting sounds like fun. I've done it once before and it was great!

Just figured I'd drop everyone a line and say hello. I'll be up in the area tonight into friday looking for housing....Hopefully there will be a few options left... Is anyone going to be around thursday night? Would love to hear from you....Hope all is well, and hope to see you all soon!!!!!

Hey Ed the king!

I am in for whitewater excitement. I have my own way down the river but would love to travel and camp with you all. Do you know what company will be providing the trip and on what river?

Also, I am far away from Biddeford (2500 miles) and thought I would throw my name out there for the "roommates wanted" page. I am clean, a good roommate, and a good cook (30 yo single male no pets, non-smoker).

I look forward to meeting you all!

Andy :love: :luck:

On a few months away? Hope you guys are as excited as I was...still remember the day. I have some equipment for sale...stuff you'll need for your Foundations of Doctoring (Year 1) and Experiences in Doctoring (Year 2) courses. E-mail me if you need any of the required equipment...

[email protected]

:) Hi Ed!

I'm all about White water rafting, and camping! Count me in too!

Kelley

Hola a todos, UNECOM class of 2008! I've enjoyed reading your posts here in class (yes, I admit, I'm one of those MSI's who is lost without her laptop/AIM) and just wanted to say I can't wait to meet all of you at Orientation. We've got tons of fun stuff planned for you, so be sure to sign up for as much as you can....definitely do the rafting, it was an awesome time last year and we're going to make it memorable this year as well!
Back to reality here...but just wanted to say hello and keep those great posts coming!! I'll make a plug here for any singers out there (we've got an awesome acapella group and will be recruiting...so stay tuned for info sometime in July!

:) Amanda Q.

Hi Amanda! Thanks for beign so welcoming! All the upperclassmen have been so inviting to our incoming class. It's great to see all the comraderie already! Quick question are you a Nvay HPSP student? I saw your screen name and was curious. Also just wanted to say hi to everyone! And to answer UNEOSTEO's qquestion I know I am still very excited to start! Can't wait! Talk to you all soon!

Janelle

Hey! I'm an incoming. Sang in an all female a capella group all through undergrad, then started up a group post-college in VT. Anyway, I'd love more info on the group and when auditions will be. I'll bring my music with me when I move too! I can't tell you how excited this news makes me... if you get a chance, email me at [email protected].

all about keeping the balance...

smiles,
Christine

Happy Mother's Day to all our student DO moms and docs.!!!! :clap:

Thanks datchado - only wish I had more time and less studying to do so I could enjoy spending more time with my kids this weekend!

I agree w datch! THanks to all the moms out there who made us possible! Happy mom's day. I know ym mo and I had an awesome day of baseball and yummy food! Talk to you all soon!

Hi everybody!

I just made it to ME and am constructing a small studio. { I am considering the acapella group as well.} I know there won't be much time before classes begin, but I love to record and songwrite in my down time and it would be great to meet fellow musicians before our schedules are swamped!

:luck:

sounds awesome gioia! I'd love to listen but I'm not sure if I should be allowed to sing :) my only practice time is in the car alone or in the shower! :) haha

Hi Gioia,
I am moving into Portland tomorrow! I don't have our new number there but our cell is 610-509-5969, or you can email at [email protected]. I would love to get together his summer and sing! Be in touch!

smiles,
Christine

Hello!

Does anyone know about health insurance? I know it costs $1522.00/yr. (2004-2005) but what does that include...and who does it include? just us UNECOM students or our family as well?

thanks,
melly :confused:

I second Melly's request for info about the health insurance...anybody
know the name of the insurance provider so we could look up info on
the internet? I'm also curious when coverage begins -- July 26th?

Allison

Our current UNECOM health insurance is through AETNA (Student Managed Health Plan). It is administered by Chickering Claims Administrators, Inc. (www.chickering.com)

The fee covers students only, but you can get family coverage...obviously costs more. Currently, our annual deductible is $300. Your PCP is university health care at UNE...but you can see anyone without a referral. If you see University Health Care, you don't pay the deductible. It's a decent health plan and covers prescriptions too..($25 for brand, $10 for generic). Oh, there's an ER deductible of $50 if you decide to there. UNE will/should send you more info.

ed-the-king said:
hey all,

Don't know if you guys got orientation info yet, but as an orientation leader i can tell you that we are trying to plan a pre-orientation white water rafting trip for 7/22 -7/23 (thursday and friday). It's an overnight camping trip, and everyone that went on it last year raves about it. It should be lots of fun. I just wanted to maybe get an approximate of how many people would be interested in order to make a reservation, so if anyone is interested, let me know ASAP. Reply or send me a PM. See you guys soon! :D

Hi, my name is Blake. I will be attending UNECOM this year, class 2008. I look forward to meeting all of you!

I am definetely interested in this rafting trip if there's room. Take care!

Hey Everone,
I had a question for all the current medical students. In your opinion, what equipment should we purchase? Some people I have talked to say we should buy our own manipulation tables, stethoscope, otoscope, ophthalmoscope etc, but I have no idea what you need and what you can get by without buying.
Any advice would be great!
See you in a few months when school starts!
Adam
Class of 2008

Hi Adam,

You will need to have a stethoscope, a tuning fork, a reflex hammer, blood-pressure cuff thingy, otoscope, opthalmoscope, and a nice bag to put that all in (I highly recommend timbuk2's very cool tiny size). Make sure that the opthalmoscope/otoscope kit you get has a little portable vision chart. You really don't need your own treatment table because the OMM lab is so nice and very well equiped, but people do buy them anyway; you can definately get by without one. The other stuff you will need to have for Foundations of Doctoring practical exams and the H&P's you will be doing on each other and people in the second year class (ha ha! us!!!).

Enjoy your summer!!!!!!

ps: you'll also want to bring a baseball glove and some ice skates :D

Oceandoc (hey natalie) is right on w/ her advice. However, before plunging into medical tool consumption mode you might want to wait for the package advert the school puts out. Last year it came out around early June I think.
There are savings to be had in buying a whole kit vs. piece meal.

In the meantime check out prices from web based suppliers to see how they compare to the school's.
H

Melly919 said:
Hello!

Does anyone know about health insurance? I know it costs $1522.00/yr. (2004-2005) but what does that include...and who does it include? just us UNECOM students or our family as well?

thanks,
melly :confused:

Melly-
I'm sorry I don't subscribe to the school's offering so I can't help you there.
Other options include SOMA insurance or the AMSA plan. These are medical student organizations that offer superior service (I believe) to what the school offers.

If you are young and healthy, BC/BS Anthem is also available. I found them a bit pricey, but the coverage is the best.

Hi all, hope everyone's enjoying themselves and getting geared up for an awesome first year! Can't wait to meet everyone at orientation in July...sign up for the rafting trip if you haven't already!!

I'm a soon to be MSII looking to find a housemate for the upcoming year, preferrably male, who's mature and studious, yet fun and laid-back. My current housmate is going to be starting his clinicals for 3rd year, so that leaves me in need of someone to share the downstairs of a house in the Biddeford Pool. The place is a completely furnished, 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, year-round rental overlooking the Pool and located right next to the Post office, 2 doors down from the B.P. Lobster Company (can't beat it!), and within walking distance to the beach. The rent is 480 + utilities (oil heat) and the location is unbeatable-->great views of the Pool and the ocean, and only 3 miles from school!
Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you are interested. I'll be gone for most of the summer doing my Navy training in Newport, so I'd like to get everything settled before I leave, if possible.

Back to the pathology for me....

-Amanda Q. :)

Hey everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone knew if and how much life insurance we need to have while attending school. Any info would be appreciated.
ABC

dryfly29 said:
Hey everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone knew if and how much life insurance we need to have while attending school. Any info would be appreciated.
ABC
If I remember correctly most of the student loans are forgiven upon death or total disability. You may want to check on this or maybe somone else can elaborate a bit.

After that fact I'd think the only life insurance you may want to consider for family reasons or other outstanding debts.

I personaly have none as most of my debts are school loan related.

On a happier note the MSIs just finished Path so there is one test left out of the 6 scehduled for this 14 day span.

Hey,

I just got another packet from UNE about orientation. Does anyone out there have advice about which clubs to join? Where are good places to buy scrubs, etc?

Elizabeth

There will be a Clubs and Orientation Fair durring the orientation where you'll have a chance to talk to most of the clubs as well as get some items that you may not have ordered (the availibility of items depends on the club). The one thing that is REALY helpful (for some subjects more then others) is AMSAs book of old tests. Also signing up with the packet is not necessary you may want to even hold out untill the first club meeting after the fair to decide what you want to sign up for.

As for scrubs the best bet is go cheep as they will be burned durring the post gross toast. I also recomend cheep (Wal-mart) footware if you don't have an old pair you're willing to part with. The two most popular sources of scrubs in our group were from hospitals or from what ever club is selling them (note the bookstore also sells scrubs).