Official UNECOM class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Guys,

Saturday the 24th sounds great to me. You guys can come over my new place and we can have a BBQ if you want. I have a paper to write that weekend, so I wont be able to hang out the whole time, but I definately want to meet all of you and hang out. Ummmmmmm, BBQ..... Droool Droool :clap: .

If that sounds like something you guys would be interested in let me know and we can plan it out.

By the way, I have to work a 24 hour shift on Friday the 23, so I wont be able to hang out that day.

-Scott

Members don't see this ad.

Going back to the trader joe's thing, I actually do go down every few weeks or so when i visit my friends and stock up. Their frozen meals are great and quick to make, and taste good too! (who's a dork?!?!) Trust me, you'll appreciate he time it saves. Haven't been to the one in cambridge, but the one in coolidge corner/brookline is great. All you guys, enjoy your time before you get trapped up here in the madness that is medical school. It's great, but at times it can stress you out. If it doesn't kill you, it will make you stronger (or come back to bite you on the ass :laugh: ) Alright, back to my drugs, must make peace with the cephalosporins.

Hi Scott,
sounds awesome, I'll check it out with the rest of my car but definitly sounds liek a plan to me. I know we have to be back home by later sat though so I will have to check before I give a definite answer!

Janelle

Members don't see this ad :)
hey scott,

the bbq sounds wonderful to me! hopefully we'll have a nice day and we
can relax outside!!!

allison

About the thread relocation and name change: Because we are now officially matriculating and because we are getting more advice from medical students, I thought the move to the osteo thread was appropriate. We will get more hits from current med students as well.

ed-the-king TJ's: Yes. I like their frozen food.. nothing dorky about that! I am purchasing an upright freezer so I can cook about 3 months worth of food before school starts......

Hello Kelley!

Under the Financial Aid Forum, there is tons of info on the NHS and military scholarships. Unfortunately, the NHS deadline has passed for this year(March 26th ) and you must commit to a field in primary care.
Hope this helps,
datcha
UNECOM 2008

Thank you Datcha. I am officially coming up to Maine on May 1st if anyone would like to meet up with me, Janelle, Melissa, and Phil.

Hope everyone has a marvelous weekend! :thumbup:

Kelley

THEY CLOSED THE GATEWAY STORE!! The store near my school closed! I guess I kind of knew that was coming, well, I guess if I have any problems I've got to ship it across the country. Here's to hoping my laptop stays working! :oops: Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Go Sox!! 2-0 over the yankees!

Jon

Hi Scott,
Looking forward to meeting with you next weekend. What time are you planning for? The RI contingent (aka party bus) is trying to put together a departure / arrival time. Email me with the details if you'd like or post them here.

[email protected]

-Matt.

Wow! Popeye Rules!!!

Is anybody interested in Wilderness Medicine?

Yes I am............they are some family practice residencies that have a rural /wilderness medicine concentration.
If there is no interest group at UNE , maybe you can head one up gioia :) .

Have a great day,
datcha

Hey DATCHA! :D

The good news is that there is an interest group for Wildnerness Med. @ UNE. I don't know how active they are but they posted Kayaking courses for the spring. I think it is a great way to integrate several interests while still focusing on medicine (multi-task-multi-task-multi-task :eek: ).

LL BEAN actually does some wilderness survival program that runs in the summertime. I'm not sure the dates (it is pretty long and intensive) but I thought about doing it next summer, at least. :)

Hi Datcha and Gioia,
I definitly might be interested in learning more about wilderness med especially the summer program.If you find out anymore info can you post it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any EMT's out there take the wilderness EMS course? I think you can clear C-spines, give different meds, etc. (I think depends on the state, not sure what all is involved though)...

Hi Jon,
I am a RI-EMT nationally registered and soon to also be a ME emt. I had a member of my crew last semester who was a wilderness first responder course. I know equipment was different and she knew how to do things like use tshirts as cravats and sticks as hare traction splints.

Janelle

Once upon a time I was a nationally registered EMT. I let my national registry lapse when I decided to go to med school in ME. Now im a ME licensed EMT-I. I also wanted to let all of you know that UNE has its own EMS service that provides first response EMS to the UNE Campus. We recently became affiliated with Biddeford Fire Dept and extended our services to the Hills Beach, Fortunes Rocks, Biddeford Pool area, with a first response vehicle provided by the fire dept... (EMS-1). This group is primarily composed of undergrads, but many med-students find time to volunteer when they have time. I was one of the services officers for several years, and would like to let any of you with EMS experience know that we would be glad to have you run with us.

... Also, if anyone out there is wondering about how to get reciprocity (dont know if I spelled that right) in ME, UNEEMS has all the paperwork to get you started. Just let me know, and I can put you in contact with the right people.

Almost forgot....

I was also wondering who was planning on comming to meet up in Biddeford on Sat the 24th. I am still planning on hosting a BBQ, and was just wondering how many people to expect.

Also, since I am still a poor undergrad, I was hoping that everyone planning on comming could bring some sort of food item to contribute. Once I find out who is comming, we can coordinate who will bring what.

Hi Scott,

I was wondering what the paperwork entails. I think I receieved it all from the online site of the ME EMS office. I am definitly interested in helping out as much as I can with the UNEEMS. I'm an EMT-B with adjuncts in Defibrillation and intubation. ANyhow if you want to drop my a message on the board PM me or email at [email protected] that would be great! thanks!

Janelle

Everyone wish a happy birthday to bluesunlily Allison!!!!!!!

hello, it is me again! I hardly ever post so I hope you guys haven't forgotten me :D Thanks for all the great info..and I have a couple of questions for 1st year med students or incoming students that already live out there. I have talked to a couple of realtors today and both ones I have spoken with mentioned the places I am looking at currently have med students that live there and are moving out. One is on hills beach and the other is 3 seabreeze ave. They did not have pics of the places and I am debating flying out there but wondered if anyone knew anything about these 2 areas or places. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again!

Heidi

happy birthday, allison!!

from your soon to be roomie :D

Happy Birthday, Allison! :luck:

Hope your special day was filled with friends, family, smiles, and lots of laughs! :laugh:

Talk to you soon! I'll IM you one of these days...as soon as I can find the time! By the way...ever figure out who Olivia Rose is?

Cheers,
Melissa :D

Hey ColoradoGirl. I know that area is nice. Have lived right by there for a few years. Ill try to borrow a friends digital camera and take some pics for you if you want.

Happy B-Day Allison :)

To everyone planning on comming up here for the BBQ on Saturday, please post a response with the number of people comming. Im just trying to plan all that stuff out.

Im planning on getting some hamburgers and hot dogs, and rolls.

It would be great if other people could bring:

-Something to drink... Soda/juice/ beer :luck:
-Chips/dip
-Pasta Salad
-Cole Slaw
-a real salad
-Something for dessert...sick of this damn diet... grumble... grumble :scared: :eek:
-Anything else that goes with a BBQ

Cant wait to meet all of you.

-Scott

jmarra, the paper work isnt that big of a deal. If you already downloaded it im sure you got it all. Maine accepts the national registry, so if you have it you should be all set. One problem that some people have been having is that you have to have a criminal background check sent to the ME EMS office with the rest of the paperwork. The people having the problem were from PA. ME requires that out of state people requesting an EMS license have a copy of the criminal background report sent in to the ME EMS office. The state wont send the request, they make you send it in. PA (and maybe other states that I dont know about) will not give a criminal background report to an individual, only send it to the state office requesting it. So the two states dont mesh well. Im not sure how others have resolved this in the past. If you get through this part, you shouldnt have any other problems. Let me know if I can do anything else to help you.

-Scott

Hi Shoddy,
Thanks for the input. I know getting a background check is so hard with all those warrents for me :D j/k I had my shift supervisor at Brown take care of it and I already have it. All I have to do now is put it all together and get it out to Maine and hope RI EMS dept doesn't take too long ( as I was joking with Matt I hope to practice EMS BEFORE graduation from UNECOM :) ) See you this weekend. Once I am sure what I will bring I'll post it but I'm pretty flexible and can bring anything! I'll probably grab some turkey or veggie dogs or veggie burgers too since I ususally don't partake in the beef :) Can't wait to meet you all!!! And as Matt said three of us will be coming ( Me, Matt and Jodie)

Enjoy the rest of the week!

Scott and Gioia,
thanks so much for the reply. Scott, if that is at all possible I would be forever in debt to you! If not do not worry about it. If you get a chance you can also email me at [email protected].

Heidi

No problem Coloradogirl, what were the house numbers again?

Thank you all!!!! :D

I had a beautiful sunny day here in Baltimore for my birthday. Everything's
in bloom!!!

I look forward to coming to Biddeford this weekend.

I'll make something for dessert for the bbq and I'll probably bring something
else too. Depends on how much access I'll have to cooking!

Look forward to spending my next birthday with all of you!!!

Allison

Hello my special classmates! It turns out I won't be able to make it up to Maine on May 1st like I had originally planned. I hope you all have a great time this weekend at Scott's BBQ!

Also, Lisa Lane emailed me and told me that she is going to send out notice to all of our classmates about SDN, so that everyone in our class will be aware that we are all already bonding! She also said that she and some other UNE staff members have been reading our UNECOM2008 forum and that they are impressed and delighted that we already have such a comradery among us! I thought it was sweet of her to say that.

Kelley :D

Hi Scott!

My name is Melissa! My husband (Phil) and I are going to be in ME this weekend moving some boxes into our new house in Saco. We really want to meet you and Allison so we'll do our best to get there. I just need directions! We'll be coming from 61 Ocean Park Road in Saco...do you know where that is? Hopefully not too far! I'm sure everyone else needs directions, too!
Looking forward to seeing you!

-Melissa :D

kmwmorris said:
.... She also said that she and some other UNE staff members have been reading our UNECOM2008 forum and that they are impressed and delighted that we already have such a comradery among us! Kelley :D

Thanks Kelly :) ,

..... I knew we were being watched... :scared:

:luck:

Hey Everybody!
Made it half way already -- staying the night at my sister's in NY.
Will be spying apartments in less than 24 hours! WOO HOO - the
ball's rollin'. See some of you soon!!!

Allison :D

Ok, so I sent directions out to everyone who I know is comming to the BBQ on saturday, so if you didnt get them, let me know so I can send them to you. Or get them from Jmarra, Melly, or Bluesunlilly :D

Scott,

the house is 3 Seabreeze Ave, I guess it is about 8 houses down from the school. Thanks so much!! Have fun at the BBQ this weekend. I will be jealous, it is snowing up t0 8 ins here...so I wish I was there!

Heidi

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who came up here for the BBQ today. I had a great time. Im so glad that I got to meet some of you before we start classes. I think it will make it a little bit easier for everyone already having a few friends. Hope all of you get home safe.

-Scott

P.S..... Colorado Girl, I havent been able to take the pictures of the house yet, but I will soon. I dont have a digital camera, and my friend who does is out of state until monday. So the plan is for me to take them on monday or tuesday. Another friend of mine may have a digital camera, and if I can borrow it tommorow, I will try to take some good pics then. Sorry for the wait.

Thanks to Scott and Dee for having us all!!!! I had a great time! I agree that having met all these great new people in my class has put me at ease alot more. Not only am I excited to be starting medical school but now I know have a great bunch of people to share my time there with also! Can't wait to see the pictures. See you all soon!

Janelle

Thank you everyone for such a wonderful weekend! We're sorry we couldn't stay the whole time...as soon as we got back to our house, Olivia fell asleep within 10 minutes! Many apologies for the screaming and crying every now and then! We had a great time though...good food and great company! I'm so glad that the SDN was created...I agree with Janelle...it really puts me at ease knowing that everyone I've met so far is awesome! I love you guys! You rock! :love:
Looking forward to when we can meet again!
Hugs,
Mel :p

Hi all,
i was surfing on the web when I came across this site, and I am glad that so many UNE students have posted such a positive message. I got accepted to UNE in january. I have been there twice to look for a place to live. I find it frustrating that most of the rentals are seasonal. How are you handling the situation? I need a place to stay till september 6th. Are you aware of any apartments for short term lease? I will be moving from New Jersey. See you soon.

Hey MomDoc, just to let you know incase you dont, if you go a little bit farther from school... Into Biddeford/Saco/OOB.... it isnt hard to find a year round rental.

Hello Momdoctor! We look forward to meeting you in July! :D

I recently received a packet in the mail from UNECOM with lots of information about housing, the area of Biddeford, a roommate list, and even a letter from a couple who owns a house and would like to rent it to someone for just a few months. I'm sure you will receive the same exact packet Momdoctor, and maybe you could contact that couple and tell them you need a place to stay just until September if need be.

Also, if you are not aware, there is an off-campus housing list posted on the UNE website- that is where many of our classmates have found their apartments (some year round, some seasonal).

If you have any questions feel free to IM me on AOL: kmwmorris19 or pm me on SDN.

Kelley :)

Hi Kelley!
I'm taking your advice and ussing the SDN to find people to live with.
However, I am unsure how locat Datcha and Kimberly. If you could this message to them or just have them email at [email protected] I would truly appriciate it.
Thanks!
Lettie

lhenry said:
Hi Kelley!
I'm taking your advice and ussing the SDN to find people to live with.
However, I am unsure how locat Datcha and Kimberly. If you could this message to them or just have them email at [email protected] I would truly appriciate it.
Thanks!
Lettie

Hi Lettie (cool name),

I noticed you are new to SDN, so, in addition to using the une pipeline, you may left-click on the SDN'ers names and choose to send them a private message from this forum. Just scroll back until you find the desired name....

Momdoctor,

Welcome!

Are you looking for temp. housing for yourself or a family as well?

Hi Class of 2008!

I was accepted back in November, I've just been a little slow signing on to SDN. :p I am from NJ, but I did my undergraduate degree at UNE (I graduated last May). I'm currently living in PA.

I'm planning on moving in July 1st, but then I'm heading out for a little vacation before orientation starts.

I'm looking forward to meeting y'all.

Elizabeth :D

Hi Momdoctor, Lettie, and Elizabeth! Welcome to our SDN UNECOM '08 family!

I cannot believe what a small world we live in...Lettie and I went to grade school together! She was in the same 6th grade class as Phil and me! :D Wow. I also know a couple other people from my undergrad (Holy Cross) that are going to be in our class...we truly have a great class (sigh)! :rolleyes:

That's all! Just wanted to share my excitement with y'all!
Happy Tuesday!
-Melissa :love:

Hey ESK. Havent heard from you in a while. Thanks for the engagement card by the way. Sorry I forgot to say something until now but I have been so busy. The card was nice. It made Dee cry. Cant wait to see you again.
-Scott