Importance of Class Rank for University Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pigsinacloth

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
M2 here who goes to a school with letter grades and class rank. Most of our class rank comes from pre clinical years because of how they assign credits. did well first year being in the upper part of the 2nd quartile, but second year is kicking my butt. I am not in danger of failing anything, but I might drop down a bit in the rankings (lower in 2nd quart or maybe even high 3rd). I have some research and ECs, but I would really like to do more. My ultimate goal is to match into a university program or community/university mix in either the east coast or midwest. I am wondering if this is still reasonable and what I can do to make this more possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not important at all unless aiming for programs like CHOP, Children’s, Cincinnati etx

Reactions: 1 users
Still entirely reasonable. Taking Step will keep more doors open for you at the higher end academic places. Do well on your rotations and show you're passionate and honor stuff like Peds, FM. Find some great advocate mentors and you should set up nicely.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't take our word for it. Look at what Program Directors have to say (Limitation = Small numbers of respondents relative to how many programs exist).

2021 NRMP PD Survey

Reactions: 1 users
Don't take our word for it. Look at what Program Directors have to say (Limitation = Small numbers of respondents relative to how many programs exist).

2021 NRMP PD Survey
Yeah I have looked at that and the peds spreadsheet. I know peds is pretty non competitive, but I was not sure if mid tier academic programs start to get competitive. I will look into this stuff. Thanks

Peds as a general tends to care about not failing boards mainly. I think this is because ABP is one of the higher first time fail rate for boards. Beyond that it felt like programs cared more about my non-academic application. A lot of interviews asked me about my advocacy interests. I only interviewed at community up to mid tier university programs though. Not sure about any higher than that. I was 1st quartile so I can’t be sure that they did not factor that into my invites. But of my 14 interviews, zero made a remark about being top 25%