Official UNECOM class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi from switzerland! (the cleanest friggin country i?ve ever been to)

for all you harry potter fans out there, i got to see the film in geneva before it even came out in the states, and its not bad. book 3 was my favorite, so the movie had a lot to live up to, but it did an ok job. they obviously had to cut out lots of stuff out, which was disappointing as always.

au revoir!

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome Joanie! I'm going to try to catch HP myself today!

OH and I just found out Matt's address at OIS if anyone wants to write to him ( June 11th is his birthday and he'll still be there) just drop me a line and I can send it to you ( you can just email my pipeline account [email protected])

Can't Wait to see you all again!!!!

Janelle

Hey Datchado,

The Nitrile Glove order is in and ready for your agile finger tips... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone, Hope your summer is going well and you are resting up before tackling the grueling first year of medical school! :D Just wanted to give you a little tip on gloves and anatomy lab...you will probably want to double glove each time because the stink of the formalin goes right thru one and if you tear one, you still have some protection. :p Also, keep your gloves in your baskets in the locker room, not in your lab drawer or on your tables or else you might run out of gloves since others, not necessarily but maybe including your own classmates, will help themselves (happened to me too :( ). Another thing, something that I don't think is on the list of required stuff, don't forget to bring three locks, 2 for your anatomy baskets and one for your hall locker. Take care and enjoy summer! B

Hey everyone...

My wife and I got married a week and a half ago now... we're in maine and finally got our phone and internet up. Hence the reason I've been off this for a couple weeks. Judy and I are in living on pool st like 3 miles from campus. As you guys start to show up in maine let us know, we'd like to get together and meet (and if you need help moving in we'll see if we can help)... Email me at [email protected]. have a great rest of your week.

Jon

I would follow up on MomDO2B, double gloving is a GREAT suggestion. When I used singles, I never could get the stink off my hands. I don't know if anyone also mentioned about the scrubs, but you may want to consider getting two pairs (see if your local hospital has any they are willing to part with) that way when you are washing one stinking set, you'll still be able to dissect.

Wook

Hey guys... its been a while since I posted on the site. Cograts Jon and Judy :) . Im getting married next summer.... :eek: wow that sounds so weird to say. Im up here in maine now... living in ocean park. Let me know if you guys want to hang out sometime. Thanks for all the offers on the nitrile gloves... but I got mine for free... just dont ask ;) ... Hope everyone else is doing well. Cant wait to see all of you.

-Scott

CONGRATULATIONS Jon and Judy!!!! Marriage is such a wonderful thing and I wish for you a lifetime of love, laughter, and happiness!

My husband Phil and I (and our daughter, Olivia) just moved into our new home this past Friday...we live VERY close to Scott (Shodddy18) if any of you know where he lives (on Ocean Park Road, near OOB)! Once we get settled in, we're hoping to have a party for my UNE buddies, but we'll see....right now we're lucky if we can finish decorating and furnishing by July! Wish us luck!

Thanks Bernadette for the great advice...so we should get four boxes of nitrile gloves instead of the suggested two boxes?

Hope all is going well!
Hugs,
Mel :love:

Thanks Bernadette for the great advice...so we should get four boxes of nitrile gloves instead of the suggested two boxes?

You know, I was thinking about that as well.

Well, maybe I should order another case. After all, Nitrile gloves are good for lots of other things too..

ANYONE INTERESTED IN A BOX OF NITRILE GLOVES FOR 9.90?

:luck:

Hello out there!

If anyone is interested in eating organic vegis and greens whilst in medical school there is another UNECOM student interested in doing halvsies with someone.

If your interested (225$ for entire season) in a half share, you can contact AMY at wolf pine farms and split a share with a fellow student.

I'm not vegi-pushin', just getting the word out! :)

You will find the info. I posted earlier on this thread regarding the purchase of organic vegetables for this season.

Hello everyone,
I was just wondering if anybody knew anything about the HIPPA training we are supposed to get finished before school starts. I was re-reading some of the papers that UNE sent me and they said that there should be a link posted on the class of 2008 message board on pipeline at the end of last month. Has it been posted and I missed it? Any info would be appreciated.
ABC

The link was just posteed on the website yesterday I think. It's not too bad I just finished it up. Takes awhile but the scenarios are kind of cute ( if you watch it on video).

Thanks, I just checked pipeline and it is there.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone, I was just being bored at work and was going through the textbook list trying to decide from the survey which ones to buy. I had one question, I know we received an email from UNE saying that the textbooks for the department of family practice (foundations of doctoring I think) have changed. I can't find the email. Can someone either post the email on here or remail it to me? [email protected]. Thanks so much. Can't wait for everyone to join us here in maine! See ya soon.

Jon

At this time, you should have received the textbook list for this fall.
This memo is to make you aware of three changes.

1. The Department of Pediatrics has changed its required book. It
was McMillan, Oski's Pediatrics: Principle & Practice. It is now
Behrman, Kliegman, Jenson, Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 17th Edition,
ISBN#0-7216-9556-6 (SAUNDERS).

2. For Human Function: Biochemistry and Cell Biology: Listed is
Marks, Dawn, Basic Medical Biochemistry: A Clinical Approach. Please
note that it will be the 2nd Edition, to be published in mid-September.

3. For Foundations of Doctoring: Listed is Bickley, Bates Guide to
Physical Examination & History Taking, 8th Edition. This is correct;
however, the ISBN number has changed as the book has been revised; the
book you should have, has an number of ISBN#0-7817-5948X.

You will find an updated textbook list attached to this email.

Again, welcome and we look forward to seeing you at the end of July.

Suezan I. Moore
Medical Curriculum Coordinator
University of New England
11 Hills Beach Road
Biddeford, ME 04005
Phone: (207)283-0171 x2311
Fax: (207)294-5910

Hi all,
I got some prices for soem medical supplies from where I got them. If anyone is interested the contact info is on the bottom. There are some different options you may want to explore too.

PRICES
Black leather physcians bag 15" $155.00 (BLK)
LITTMAN CardiologyIII black,burgundy,navy, Hunter green cost $139.99 (BLKEE)
Mabis Signature cardiology cost $74.99(keee)(equivalent to Littman CardiologyIII)
Tuning fork 512 $8.99(khe)
Tuning fork 128 $8.99(HHE)
Percussion hammer taylor $3.88(BCH)
Eye Chart pocket $4.95(LLB)
Riester Full size Otoscope/Ophthalmoscope set $385.00(LKH)
Riester MINI Otoscope/Ophthalmoscope set $227.00(BHS)
Riester Economy Otoscope/Ophthalmoscope set $160.00(BBE)

To order contact Medical Pharmacy & Supply at 781-344-2311 or
email questions to [email protected]

hey guys, hope everyone is having a fun pre-medschool summer. In regards to buying your books, i would wait until you get to school to buy them. See if you want them, need them, will use them. Some are recomended, not required. There has been many a class where i never cracked the book open. Of course, this all depends on the person, as other people used every single book for each class. You don't need all of them at the beginning, you can wait until the class is about to start. No need to buy immunology when it won't begin until november (or something like that.) Wait and see, especially for the FOD book. You won't need immediately, and definetly not to bring to class, basically just for how to perform histories and physicals. you might not need the pediatrics book either, but wait until that section comes up in the FOD course. and if worse comes to worse, the book store can order the books and it's usually a quick order, be there within a few days. Just my two cents, feel free to ignore me. See you guys at the end of july. :D

Greetings all.

I've been reading as many of your posts as I can...you're quite the energetic class.

I'm just finishing up my term as a Senior Fellow in the Anatomy/OMM department, so sadly I won't be around to see any of you in person. However, you will get to see me for a second in an orientation video...or maybe I'll be coming back to test you on a practical...

If any of you want questions answered from someone who has been through it and taught it, feel free to drop me an e-mail or find me on IM at DrHawkeyeDO. I don't have the patience to read these posts everyday, so e-mail or IM will be the best way to find me.

Good luck all of you. Though at times in the next two years you'll wonder "What the hell are we doing at this place?", keep in mind that you'll enter your 3rd year clerkships being more prepared than almost any other MS-III in the Northeast. Work hard.

[email protected]

Hey all!

A couple of you have probably seen my message on pipeline and maybe even received an e-mail or two from me but I'm going to post here anyway just to see if who might be able to help. Time to pull out all the stops...

I found a non-year-round place on hills beach road. I arrive into Biddeford on July 19th from San Diego and will need a place to stay until September 6th. If anyone knows of a room that I can rent for that month, that would be great! Please E-mail me with any info or questions: [email protected]

Thanks!
-Blake

I would just like to add my congrats and best wishes to Jon and Judy too!!! Good luck on your new adventures in marriage and med school!

About gloves, I got by with 3 boxes and had a little left over that I used in my medical bag (need them for the ENT exam) and then for micro lab and pathology lab.

Also, I would just like to second what Ed said about books. I found many of the books to be a waste of money and only bought those I knew I would need and use. Don't forget that there will be second and third years there selling their books and that the library has copies of all required texts that you can check out!

See you all soon!

Hey everyone, I finally got around to updating the roaming capabilities on my verizon phone when I was up in portland today (and on a verizon tower), and when i went back to my apartment in biddeford (3 miles from campus on pool st. into town) it stayed on verizon wireless! So I guess they got their act together and finally put a tower up in the biddo/saco area. Just thought those of you thinking about cell phone plans when you move might like to know that. I'm not sure about at the actual college yet, maybe someone else could enlighten us with that information. Can't wait for everyone to join Judy and I here in nice cold rainy foggy hazy southern maine! (makes you want to move right now doesn't it) ;) Later, Jon

jonb12997 said:
I'm not sure about at the actual college yet, maybe someone else could enlighten us with that information.

Yes, I retrieved my voicemail at the library the other day. A little late for me, but hey it is Verizon we're talking about here.

Here is another dumb textbook ???....should we purchase the "required" texts ahead of time or are some of those ones that we may decide not to use as well...I only ask because some of the online places that take a while to ship have much better prices than the UNE bookstore. I will wait on the "reccomended" texts, but saving a little dinero would be nice. Thanks Andy :luck:

andy,
even though many folks said to wait and buy our texts from the 2007's,
i decided to go ahead and buy a few used on amazon.com. i used
the survey the last class put together and bought some of the one's that
were rated "essential" (particularly the anatomy books since we'll need
them first). figured i wouldn't want to be worrying about it at the last
minute. the downside, i guess, is that the books will be part of my move
now. :(

that's my $0.02 -- see ya soon!

allison

mcandy said:
Here is another dumb textbook ???....should we purchase the "required" texts ahead of time or are some of those ones that we may decide not to use as well...I only ask because some of the online places that take a while to ship have much better prices than the UNE bookstore. I will wait on the "reccomended" texts, but saving a little dinero would be nice. Thanks Andy :luck:

I know it's all personal preference, but I'm an atlas girl and can't look at enough pictures (I think I am a book addict too :) ). I found some great bargains on-line but am not sure what the online market is like right now.

Having said that, I was really happy with my visit to the bookstore this week. I was able to purchase the medical genetics book for less than what I could find used online and then compare the shelved books with our rec'd book outline.

Hi all
Along with gioia I am also a book addict.( maybe we should have a book addicts anonymous club :) ) What I was finding was that there wasnt too much of a difference between other online buyers and the bookstore ( esp after you figure in shipping) my .02

Janelle

Thanks guys...I look forward to meeting you both. Andy :D

It's not much but I signed up for a one year membership at bn.com and get 5% off all my orders. It saves me a bit considering the amount of books I order yearly. You may want to check it out, for me it eliminates the need for shoping around much.

Deno

Hi everyone and Hey JMARRA,

I have the perfect meeting place for a book addicts club ;) : The BN in New Hampshire. As a teacher, I get 20% discounts on books (and no sales tax). While this does absolutely no good for medical books and supplies, I have all kinds of other books (sighs).

Realistically, I assume we will be so swamped w/ studying that reading other books will be a pipe dream... so I'm squeezing in as many authors as I can before classes begin: Philip Dick, Roy Porter, Salvador Dali...

Anyone have a favorite book to recommend?

geek love...katherine dunn

wierdness at its best

Well of course I love Harry Potter! I also am a fan of Anne Rine books, and I read a really good anthology of stories about women in medicine( called this side of doctoring: reflections of women in medicine)

Just read the Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd and thought it
was terrific....

allison

If you haven't read it already.... I liked Yann Martel's Life of Pi.

I too am trying to read as many fun books before the madness starts. A must-read: White Teeth, by Zadie Smith. Highly recommended. :cool:

Ed-the-King,

What is the book about?

Hey JMARRA, do you own that book series (Women in Medicine)?

I do own the book but a friend of mine is borrowing it for the summer. It is by Eliza Lo Chin and is available on amazon I know and probably at any of the bigger book stores too I would think.

gioia said:
Ed-the-King,

What is the book about?

Hey JMARRA, do you own that book series (Women in Medicine)?

here's a little synopsis of White Teeth:

At the center of this invigorating novel are two unlikely friends, Archie Jones and Samad Iqbal. Hapless veterans of World War II, Archie and Samad and their families become agents of England?s irrevocable transformation. A second marriage to Clara Bowden, a beautiful, albeit tooth-challenged, Jamaican half his age, quite literally gives Archie a second lease on life, and produces Irie, a knowing child whose personality doesn?t quite match her name (Jamaican for ?no problem?). Samad?s late-in-life arranged marriage (he had to wait for his bride to be born), produces twin sons whose separate paths confound Iqbal?s every effort to direct them, and a renewed, if selective, submission to his Islamic faith. Set against London?s racial and cultural tapestry, venturing across the former empire and into the past as it barrels toward the future, White Teeth revels in the ecstatic hodgepodge of modern life, flirting with disaster, confounding expectations, and embracing the comedy of daily existence

very good book. I've moved on the 'Salem's Lot, hope it's good.

Did any other incoming UNECOM students from Massachusetts (or other states) get a letter this week from UNECOM Alumni Services inviting them to the reception in Cambridge on July 9?

I live in Cambridge and will attend. Is anyone else going? Free food and drinks!

I didn't get one. But it might be in my mailbox in RI not sure. I may try to stop in though depending on how insane everything is ( I'm supposed to be moving to Biddeford tomorrow). Can't wait to see you all!

hey everyone ...

just a quick note to say hola from barcelona ... i do miss having the lovely unecom 2008 posts to brighten my day everyday, but its totally worth it, europe is awesome :D

books: allison - we must already be operaring on the same roomie wavelength because i also just finished the secret life of bees ... weird. also, book that changed my life: a heartbreaking work of staggering genius, by dave eggers. he's brilliant.

ok, i've said my piece ... hope everyone is enjoying the last few weeks before school starts, i know i am!

adios!
joanie

Hi! Since some of you have already moved up to ME or are in the process...was wondering if anyone has a room or two available for the month of August 8/1-8/26. I'll be a 4th yr and will be studying for boards...will probably never be in the house anyway. Let me know. Of course, would put up rent, etc.

[email protected]

Thanks!

Hello Jon, Melly, Janelle, and everyone else who is already up there! I will be arriving at my apartment on Saturday, July 10th if anyone would like to hang out!

As for books, I recommend Surviving the Extremes by Kenneth Kamler, MD

Hope everyone is enjoying these last few weeks before classes! My advice: get into as much trouble as possible!!! :D

Kelley

Hi All!
I miss all of you up in Maine already. Well I am moved into my snug apartment and back home with the folks for a last hurrah. Had some excitement back home ( ask me if you're interested) and today I was commissioned by my classmate and friend Matt L into the Navy! SO its looking like an exciting week. I am off to a DMB concert tonight and I am so excited to see you all soon! Kel give me a call when you get there ! I will be back up on Sunday because my grandparents 50th aniversary party ( surprise one) is Sat!

Talk to you all soon!!!!

Janelle

Step right up ladies and gents for another spectacular order of Nitrile gloves! Yes, you can be the proud owner of hundreds of multi-purpose, multi-use, latex-free gloves. Use'm as balloons, or for painting, cleaning, and yes dissections!....

Oops! I forgot I'm not at the circus anymore. :oops:

So, PM me if you are interested in: Size Medium Nitrile gloves. Order goes out Monday, July 12. They are $4.95 per box.

Hi everybody,
I am so happy that I get to meet everyone of you. I am in the process of buying a house in Saco and I plan to move in by July 24th. I am planning to buy a Toshiba computer does anyone know if it is a good computer? :laugh:

momdoctor said:
Hi everybody,
I am so happy that I get to meet everyone of you. I am in the process of buying a house in Saco and I plan to move in by July 24th. I am planning to buy a Toshiba computer does anyone know if it is a good computer? :laugh:

Hey Momdoctor,

Here is a link that may aid in your decision: Laptop review site. Apart from meeting UNE's min. computer specs, there is so much personal pref. involved that it is hard to say.

I like really light, small, and thin lap tops so that influenced my decision (notice I linked the thin and light notebook page, but the others are reviewed on there as well).

Good luck.

hey momdoctor,

i'd recommend at least checking into hewlett packards. i bought the
zt3000 a few weeks ago and i couldn't be more pleased with it. after
searching quite a bit i couldn't find a better price. ask about their
student discount.

www.hpshopping.com

allison

Hi Mom Doctor,
I used to have a HP laptop but I switched over to a Dell for med school. I had some issues with my HP but everyone has stories like that about every laptop I suppose!

Janelle