Official UNECOM class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To add to JMARRA'S recc.:

Dell is running a great promo until Wednesday Dell Discount.

A little retail background: Starting Now, Computer manufacturers will be unloading current merchandise as they update models and introduce new products for 2005.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

been a while since i've been to sdn...not even going to try to catch up on old posts. hope everyone's been well. have many of you all moved up yet? i plan to come up around the 24th. also janelle, my mom's concocting some kind of chocolate thing for saturday. should be a crowd pleaser. so hope you all enjoy the last couple week of freedom. see you soon.

-matt.

Just wanted everyone to know about getting together next week!

Wednesday (7/21) at Ri Ra's on Commercial Street in Portland at 7pm. We'll try to snag the couches on the second floor- hope you can make it!

and also, we're hoping to get a game of beach volleyball going on thursday the 22nd for those who aren't going rafting. ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All. Is anyone else having problems with wireless internet in their house? I got a dell laptop with windows xp on it and I got roadrunner wireless and I am having problems keeping a constant connection. Is anyone else having these problems? do you know ho to remedy it?

Listen all incoming UNECOM MS1's:

Save your cash and pick up a cheap laptop on www.compaq.com, there you will find deals on refurbed PCs with full warranty. I spent $600 on a compaq, it has been great to me in school and out. You will use the laptop a lot, especially since all classes are being converted to webct and objective-based format. You WILL abuse this laptop, drop it, spill on it, sleep on it etc.. No need to buy top of the line abuse material, just something that can get you online in your first 2 years.

It will be difficult to force yourself to study Anatomy at first, especially since it is so beautiful in Maine now. The last thing you will want to do is sit inside all day. My advice: discipline yourselves, hit the books hard and do a combo of self-study and group-study. The group study will let you know where you are in your studies among others. Review old anatomy exams, purchase the Ackland DVD series on anatomy at the bookstore (these are incredible dvds and save you time in the long run-Dr. Cross will use these in lecture as well) and write stuff out.

Enjoy Ri Ra's, the booze cruise on Casco Bay and your time together early on. You will appreciate these gatherings when the studies intensify later on.

All the best. UNE will make you fine docs.

jmarra03 said:
Hi All. Is anyone else having problems with wireless internet in their house? I got a dell laptop with windows xp on it and I got roadrunner wireless and I am having problems keeping a constant connection. Is anyone else having these problems? do you know ho to remedy it?

You can try posting your Q on this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=115611&goto=newpost

You can ask any computer question and they are quick to respond. I personally don't know.

:scared: I just spent over $500 on books today... and I didn't even buy them all... :scared: (how long till we get our loan checks?? ;) )...

anyway, on another note, anyone know how much we'll use that pediatric's textbook? I bought it b/c last year's class didn't have it on the survery, but I got looking and a very similar one had no one using it, or even using it as a "good reference book"... That one I think I might return and get those DVD's mentioned above. Have a good one. See some of you tomorrow! :)

Jon

jonb12997 said:
:scared: I just spent over $500 on books today... and I didn't even buy them all... :scared: (how long till we get our loan checks?? ;) )...

anyway, on another note, anyone know how much we'll use that pediatric's textbook? I bought it b/c last year's class didn't have it on the survery, but I got looking and a very similar one had no one using it, or even using it as a "good reference book"... That one I think I might return and get those DVD's mentioned above. Have a good one. See some of you tomorrow! :)

Jon

I spoke with a 2nd year on her way out to rotations and she said it's not necessary unless pediatrics is a field your particularly interested in...

I just spent over $500 on books today... and I didn't even buy them all... (how long till we get our loan checks?? )...

Middle of August, I believe.... :oops:

If you're straped for cash give the financial aid office a call, I know of a person who was able to get an early check.

Deno MSII

Hey! I talked with Financial Aid yesterday and they said that the school gets our money from the loan people on the 26th. UNE will cut our check and have it ready on the 30th of July (Friday). You can call Financial Aid and have them hold it there to pick up, or they'll mail it home. We can also sign up for Direct Deposit for the checks thereafter. There is a form online.

smiles,
Christine

the pediatrics book, it's "required" for part of FOD that lasts for like 2 or 3 sessions. You don't absolutely need it. maybe for 2nd year, maybe not at all. It's mad expensive. I would wait on it and wait for the peds part of FOD and see if you need it at all.

I'm an MS3. Never used the peds book in my 2 years at UNE. BIG waste of money. Don't buy. The Bates book is unnecessary as well, you can use the library's copy to look up the 2-3 items you need from it in year 1. Pick up the Ackland Anatomy DVDs instead. Have John in the bookstore order more DVD sets if needed. I HP'd anatomy with these in my arsenal.
Let me know if you guys need any more help. The biggest mistake is to buy all of these texts upfront. Although they are "required", they are really not. See what you need as the class comes up.

One book that I highly recommend, that is not listed on any book lists is the Merck Manual. This was my most used text in years 1 and 2 and will continue to get a lot of use this year as an MS3 and next as MS4. MS2's pick this up for your objective-based webct systems now! You'll find all you need in Norton and Willard's systems in the Merck Manual.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi K-VILLE,

Are you recomending the Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy?

Do you recommend the most recent edition?

Has anyone else not had a physical....my CO insurance has made it not possible to get non-network visits here in ME...so until Aug. 1 when my SOM insurance starts I am high and dry...hope I am not f*cked...or at least not the only one.

Is anyone a kayaker that would be interested in paddling with the raft trip?...I used to video kayak for NO and I am sure they will shuttle us and our gear free of charge.

What is going on wed (21) at Ri Ra and with the Casco Bay cruise...I guess I need to pay more attention...sounds like Ri Ra is impromtu, bu the booze cruze is a school thing?

for those of you looking for good computer deals..have a close look at www.techbargains.com they have coupon codes you enter on manufacturers' sites to get nice discounts...i just got the top of the line Dell for $400 off through it.

I look forwad to meeting you all soon...who is around the area now? Andy :luck:

Hi all,
In Biddeford now and pretty much unpacked. Just cycled over to
the school and am using the wireless network for the first time!
Very very nice.

Anybody interested in cycling?

Allison

Hi All!
Back up to Maine tomorrow,Monday! Thanks to all you who made it out to the party! Hope you all had a good time. I definitly did. See you all back up there this week.

hey all! janelle, your party was a blast. i've never seen a bigger, better
family event! WOW!!!

looking forward to the rafting trip!

allison

The Merck Manual. 17th Edition. Not the dx. and therapy manual, just 'The Merck Manual'. Bookstore will have it. Ackland Anatomy DVDs, The Merck Manual and a UNE Medicine Sweatshirt should get you thru the 1st semester.

Go Lance. :thumbup:

thanks allison! I loved having you guys there! Everyone thought you were all great too:) I kept hearing comments about those cute smart nice medical students ;)

Thanks for the advice K ville. My parents are pharm D's and they also swear by the Merck Manual. Guess I should go pick up a new edition. I alrready have my UNE med sweatshirt . I broke it in the weekend :)

Hello all! Thanks, K-VilleCruncher, for your imput! However, I couldn't find "The Merck Manual, 17th ed." All I found was the "Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy" which was black (17th ed) but only said "The Merck Manual" on the front. It did not have "...of Diagnosis and Therapy" written anywhere. Just to avoid any confusion I'm having, could you give me/us the ISBN so we get the right one? John from the UNE bookstore said that the "Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy" was more for PAs and Nurses. So if there is a "Merck Manual," I want to make sure I get the right book!
Thanks!
Mel :confused:

Mcandy: I just got my Physical done yesterday at the school Health Center. I told them that I did not have any $$ to pay for it and my insurance doesn't begin until August, yet the physical is required before matriculation. They said I am not the only one in that situation, and they will just bill me for the visit later. When I receive the bill, I can contact my new insurance company (which I purchased through the school) and discuss with them the payment options. Speak to Pam Smith if you have any questions. They also had to draw blood for the titers.

Janelle: I had a great time at your family's Pig Roast! My elbow still hurts from falling off of your swing!

Kimberly: It's so good to finally meet you!

My new neighbor Allison: I hope my music isn't too loud! :)

-Kelley

I know the Merck Manual is only $35 so it's not too expensive; but just so you know the school has a lot of books available online (meaning easy serches).

Head over to here to see what is available: http://www.une.edu/library/eresources/ebooks.html

The Merck Manual is under statREF

Deno

For those of you who ordered the Nitrile Gloves (size Medium), PM or e-mail me. I have three cases (that's 30 boxes!) of Nitrile Gloves waitiing for loving homes.....

:)

Yes! UNE students can use StatRef via the library. This does have many texts available. There is really no need to buy all of the texts that the school 'requires', however, I found it useful to have the hard copies of the texts that I used most, i.e. The Merck Manual. USE the online resources that the library has, it will save you lots of cash in book buying and LBP carrying all of these around.

2004 Tour de Lance: He rules. :thumbup:

KVC's right about the "required" status of many books. The same is true for the laptop and the treatment table. Things are labeled "required" by the school so that those on NIH, Military, and NHSC scholarships can get them paid for. Just b/c it's required doesn't mean you need it.

Day one of Orientation! I never thought this day would come when this thread started oh so long ago! Good luck to all my fellow classmates and I'll see you soon!

well now that we're two days into it (including two days of oh so fun anatomy lab with dr. cross) I thought I'd post something to try and keep this forum going!! :D enjoy our first histo lecture everyone!

Jon

Hey JonB,

Good idea! We made it here and now we have the overwhelming task of making it out!!

:) :) :)

don't worry about anatomy too much--you guys are going to do fine!

plus, you will soon learn that you don't need to go to histo lecture.

good luck!!!

gioia said:
Hey JonB,

Good idea! We made it here and now we have the overwhelming task of making it out!!

:) :) :)

Thanks, Oceandoc!

It's kind of freaky knowing that we have a Gross Anatomy and Histo exam the day after each each other in three weeks...

who's ready for embryo and histo all afternoon?!?! :)

ok, here's a question... for those of you who have had the titers done, how have you paid for it? does the UNE insurance cover it? I personally don't think it's fair that we should have to pay out of pocket for these titers to be done when its the school that wants us to have them done... just curious as to other people's experiences have been?

hey y'all. i am selling my human anatomy video atlases. they helped me a lot during anatomy but i don't think i will use them again. i have three of the videos....head and neck, lower limb, and thorax. they each sell for 30 bucks new, i'll sell them to you for 20 each or all three for 55 bucks. i am also selling my clemente atlas and several other texts required for the first year curriculum. give me a holler at [email protected] and good luck with anatomy.

The DVDs are much easier to chapter thru. The VHS videos will work as well. Just get them in any form. After upper limb, time won't be on your side. Have this material spoon-fed, the Ackland DVD way.

K-VilleCruncher said:
After upper limb, time won't be on your side.
:eek:

Kville,

Do you care to elaborate on that?????

:eek: :)

Kville,

In what ways will time not be on our side? Are you saying that we will look back on these days with fond memories of how much time we had ?

Yes. Your time will become very limited and you will need to keep a schedule of what to study and when as the classes pile on and you're are forced to study multiple core subjects at once and won't have just anatomy consuming most of your time along with a bit of histo and some embryo. As the year progresses, you will get a style of studying down that works best for you. Just note that some of the Spring courses pile up a bit. Be well.

Do you know if med students tend to study better alone or in groups?

I noticed that it is easy to lose focus of the material when there are so many clusters of people forming study groups... On the other hand, being in a group can pin point individual weaknesses and help the study strategy.

All I do know is that I 'wasted' several study hours trying to find what works and wondered what seemed to be the trend with other, seasoned medical students...

Thank you :)

It sounds like all of you at UNECOM are having fun. Meaning enjoying it there! I am applying now and waiting to hear back about interview. UNE is my first choice... one of the reason is location.. something about ocean and distance to CAN and beautiful scenory... other then actuall academic benefits.

Any comments about what it is like there NOW... what you like not like.. etc... I will let you know if I get interview... if you want!!!!

G:

Whether to use a study group is a personal thing. Some people in my class found it helpful, others not so much. I found that I studied better alone, as I could concentrate better. Other people I know found that pimping each other helped them to learn the material better. DOn't be afraid to try studying solo and see how it works for you.

Wook

Thanks, WOOK!

Hey DOCBILL,

Good Luck! UNECOM is awesome. I am so glad to be here. You will definitely see us (circles under eyes and coffee-breathed) if you come for an interview... Let us know how it goes.

gioia said:
Do you know if med students tend to study better alone or in groups?

I noticed that it is easy to lose focus of the material when there are so many clusters of people forming study groups... On the other hand, being in a group can pin point individual weaknesses and help the study strategy.

All I do know is that I 'wasted' several study hours trying to find what works and wondered what seemed to be the trend with other, seasoned medical students...

Thank you :)

I had one friend that I studied with. We met in a little room every weekend and spent from 7am to midnight there. We did all microscope stuff together, and studied some subjects together, like the ID subjects and pharm, and completed most assignments together. I'd say about 2 hours of a weekend day were in some sort of cooperative studying, the other 14 or so were solo studying. During the week, we grabbed a room after classes and studied until about 9pm. That seemed to work for me first year. During second year, I studied independently, sometimes sharing a room. The noise of others doesn't bother me though. I also studied at home and in the library. I never used the larger study groups. It's too distracting, plus if you aren't all at the same level of knowledge, you spend most of your time catching up the slower ones.

You UNECOM'ers are so quiet! I like to follow threads of current classes and get a feel for the academia and student relationships before I interview. I will be interviewing there in a few weeks but this thread is sooo quiet since school started> I hope that doesn't mean an extra hard curriculum!! See some of you in a few weeks :) Best of luck to you in the rigorous 1st year.

OnMyWayThere said:
You UNECOM'ers are so quiet! I like to follow threads of current classes and get a feel for the academia and student relationships before I interview. I will be interviewing there in a few weeks but this thread is sooo quiet since school started> I hope that doesn't mean an extra hard curriculum!! See some of you in a few weeks :) Best of luck to you in the rigorous 1st year.

Hey, ONMYWAYTHERE!

Ah, yes. The quiet thread. It's true. We are here and thriving but for some reason SDN isn't as popular on this campus as it is on the others..... And some students IM their friends and family. Western Comp and UHS (name change) were pretty chatty as I recall.

What part of Cali are you from? We have a few students here from out west.

Good luck to you!! :luck:

I noticed that too.. I got worried that you have way too much work.

Well I hope soon after my interview (20th of Sept) I can start a "class of 2009 thread :) I look forward to visiting the campus... it will be my second interview.. and if all works out.. MY LASTTTTTTTTTT.

BA

HI !
Well yeah we've been a little busy but any questions please feel free to ask. I will hopefully see you then as I am a tour guide this year. Any questions please feel free to email me at [email protected]!

I think it has to do with one's preferred mode of communication. In addition, we have a campus 'pipeline' that funnels all the class emails, communications, and updates.

We do study alot... ;)

I think the area is awesome here as well....